Hackomania

This too shall pass.
Parodite

Hackomania

Post by Parodite »

SOLARWINDS HACK: HOW SUNBURST HACKERS INFILTRATED HIGHEST LEVELS OF US GOVERNMENT

The largest hack of a Western government in recent memory appears to have stemmed from an innocuous-looking pop-up message.

In March, IT staff at up to 18,000 companies and organisations using SolarWinds software clicked on a link to download the latest version of a product called Orion. SolarWinds makes technology that allows organisations – including US federal agencies and some of the world’s biggest companies – to manage their computer systems and networks, and so updated of this kind arrive regularly.
So Russia did it again? Far from being able to judge, but we have heard this before where if you read the technical assessment of "cozy bear" type hacks, it turns out it is only "probable" that same/similar hackers "oops did it again". But then you read that any capable hacker in a basement who masters fingerprinting making it look like the hack was done by somebody else from somewhere else... could have done it.

Covering your tracks or making them appear from somebody else seems to me a very useful but rather basic 101 technique in the hacking industry.

With no certainty as to who did the hack.. politicians can finger-point at whoever they want that serves them best. Russia fits the narrative so that's how I would read the claim. It might as well be China or two Ukrainian brothers in a basement in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, 79000. Prove me wrong! :P
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Re: Hackomania

Post by Simple Minded »

The upside of modern tech, not only can you argue with people you never have met and never will meet, you can blame them for pretty much every problem in your life, your village, your nation, etc.

I'm still outraged over elk statues offending humans. Who do those inanimate figurines think they are?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Now we learn that the one big god that controls everything will never be as much of a pain in the ass as the billions of mini-gods whose domain is cyberspace.

Damn.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:33 pm
SOLARWINDS HACK: HOW SUNBURST HACKERS INFILTRATED HIGHEST LEVELS OF US GOVERNMENT

The largest hack of a Western government in recent memory appears to have stemmed from an innocuous-looking pop-up message.

In March, IT staff at up to 18,000 companies and organisations using SolarWinds software clicked on a link to download the latest version of a product called Orion. SolarWinds makes technology that allows organisations – including US federal agencies and some of the world’s biggest companies – to manage their computer systems and networks, and so updated of this kind arrive regularly.
So Russia did it again?
I couldn't tell you without hacking the records of the lying MSM and intel services

Far from being able to judge, but we have heard this before where if you read the technical assessment of "cozy bear" type hacks, it turns out it is only "probable" that same/similar hackers "oops did it again". But then you read that any capable hacker in a basement who masters fingerprinting making it look like the hack was done by somebody else from somewhere else... could have done it.

Covering your tracks or making them appear from somebody else seems to me a very useful but rather basic 101 technique in the hacking industry.

With no certainty as to who did the hack.. politicians can finger-point at whoever they want that serves them best. Russia fits the narrative so that's how I would read the claim. It might as well be China or two Ukrainian brothers in a basement in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, 79000. Prove me wrong! :P
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros