POTUS Election 2024 | Here we go again . . .

Typhoon

Re: POTUS Election 2024 | Here we go again . . .

Post by Typhoon »

Seems relevant.

No country for young men [and women] . . .

Granta | The trouble with old men [and women]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:10 am Seems relevant.

No country for young men [and women] . . .

Granta | The trouble with old men [and women]
I guess I have already seen that movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/

The fix, at least in the US, is a constitutional amendment that bans political campaign contributions a politician can take from anyone that cannot legally vote for the politician. Plus make it illegal for at least federal level politicians from investing other than a Federally mandated general investment fund they are barred from communicating with.

The only reason the old stick around so long is they are making too much money to give it up.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Same topic, but USA specific with the usual mainstream media spin.

FT | The grip of America’s geriatrics
Joe Biden is no frail outlier but the gerontocratic norm
EDWARD LUCE

Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority and minority leaders, walk behind vice-president Kamala Harris. The median age in the US Senate is 65 © Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Here is one measure of America’s democratic pickle. The third-party candidates lining up to challenge the creaking two-party stranglehold are almost the same age as the incumbents.

Joe Biden is 81. Donald Trump turns 78 in June. Their potential rivals are all 70 or above. Robert F Kennedy Jr, 70, Joe Manchin, 76, Jill Stein, 73, Marianne Williamson, 71, and Cornel West, 70, are each thinking about entering the fray as independents in one form or other. The old ways have failed America, these boomers are saying. Here are some alternative old ways that you should consider.

Or take Capitol Hill. The median age in the US Senate is 65, which is the birthday at which American airline pilots must retire. The Senate majority leader, Chuck Schumer, is 73. Its minority leader, Mitch McConnell, is 81. McConnell’s most senior colleague, Chuck Grassley, who is 90, recently put his name down to run again in 2028. That means he is keeping the option open of going on until he is 101.

People are still stunned, meanwhile, that Mitt Romney, 76, has chosen to retire in the prime of his career. The Senate standard-bearer of the US left remains Bernie Sanders, who is 82. His former rival, and sometime ally, is Elizabeth Warren, who is 74. Who says Biden is an outlier? 

At 58, the House of Representatives’ median age is slightly closer to America’s population as a whole. But it is still badly out of whack. Just 7 per cent of members of the US Congress are below the age of 40. America’s median age is 38.9, which means that half its people are younger than that.

There are questions — as there ought to be — about the poor representation of US minorities in America’s most powerful bodies. Nothing is quite so glaring, however, as the age mismatch between America’s leaders and its voters.

It is as though America went to sleep and suddenly awoke in Leonid Brezhnev’s Soviet Union. The former Soviet leader was 75 when he died. 

What explains the grip of the old on a nation that is so young at heart? Part of it is the comfort of incumbency. There are French civil servants with less job security than US legislators. Because of gerrymandering and ideological sorting, Capitol Hill has a shrinking share of seats that are open to contest. In most cases, the only way of ejecting incumbents is by a challenge from within their party.

The more venerable the figure, the bigger the reputational risk to the aspiring Brutus. That is why no one dared take on the ailing Dianne Feinstein, the Democratic senator from California, who died in office last September aged 90. She was a political legend. It would have seemed cruel to point out her memory lapses in the twilight of her life. 

Telling the old and experienced that their time is up takes gumption. Still, there are millions of liberals who wished they were a little more insistent that Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Supreme Court justice, had retired after she was diagnosed with cancer. Had she bowed out when Barack Obama was still president, the Supreme Court tilt would now be 5:4 against liberals, rather than 6:3. She died at 87 with just a few weeks left of Trump’s presidency.

Should Biden lose to Trump a fortnight shy of his 82nd birthday in November, he will turn into the ultra-Ginsburg of American history. It is hard to think of a parallel of an ageing politician wagering his vigour on such huge stakes.

To be sure, Trump is also old and mentally less sharp. If the choice is between two old men, one of whom supports democracy while the other openly threatens it, then it is no choice at all. But there are larger forces at work here. It is no accident that the age cohorts most sceptical of democracy are the youngest. Millennials and generation Z are the least pro-democratic generations in US history, according to the polls.

This is not typical of the young in previous eras, who agitated for more democracy, not less. Gen Z and younger millennials are far likelier to question America’s global military role, yet far more comfortable with globalisation. They are much more worried about climate change and far more welcoming of diversity. They are also least likely to believe in US exceptionalism. It is fashionable to joke about the young’s technology-addled attention spans. The observation may be fair. But it is no joke. They have something to say. Their minds urgently need to be engaged.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

This is a country for old men after all......:|.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:43 am This is a country for old men after all......:|.........
Glad you got the joke ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I was discussing US politics with a friend and the following question arose:

As Biden is clearly not mentally competent to run the show, then who is the real power behind the office of the POTUS [i.e., "the power behind the throne"]?

I ventured that it was Biden's Chief of Staff and some committee of senior Democratic bureaucrats.

However, my friend countered by claiming that Obama is still resides in Washington D.C. and that's he's running the show behind the scenes
as all of Biden's major appointments are from the former Obama admin.

Anyways, it's a bit disconcerting that old former Soviet jokes about Brezhnev and his era of corruption can now be transcribed to the US:

It's January 6, 2021, and a man walks into the United States Capitol Building and yells "Biden is a senile durian!"
He was immediately arrested and at his trial was sentenced to 15 years in prison:

3 years for sedition; and

12 years for revealing a state secret.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:04 am I was discussing US politics with a friend and the following question arose:

As Biden is clearly not mentally competent to run the show, then who is the real power behind the office of the POTUS [i.e., "the power behind the throne"]?

I ventured that it was Biden's Chief of Staff and some committee of senior Democratic bureaucrats.

However, my friend countered by claiming that Obama is still resides in Washington D.C. and that's he's running the show behind the scenes

Anyways, it's a bit disconcerting that old former Soviet jokes can now be transcribed to the US:

It's January 6, 2021, and a man walked the United States Capitol Building and yells "Biden is a senile durian!"
He was immediately arrested and at his trial was sentenced to 15 years in prison:

:lol:

Obama's gang is running the show at the White House. Susan Rice most notably. Also Jake Sullivan and Anthony Blinken. It is a committee. Meanwhile many of the bureaucrats are the horses, running wild, while pulling the wagon.

At any rate things are getting pretty creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uat9cdb41q4
Obama's CIA Orchestrated Foreign Spying on Trump
It somehow, though it hasn't gotten so far as of yet, reminds me of the ending of the movie "Z" IE "Lithe and fierce as a tiger"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l65DJoRiJs
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:30 pm
Typhoon wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:04 am I was discussing US politics with a friend and the following question arose:

Anyways, it's a bit disconcerting that old former Soviet jokes can now be transcribed to the US:

It's January 6, 2021, and a man walked the United States Capitol Building and yells "Biden is a senile durian!"

Obama's gang is running the show at the White House. Susan Rice most notably. Also Jake Sullivan and Anthony Blinken. It is a committee. Meanwhile many of the bureaucrats are the horses, running wild, while pulling the wagon.

But, but, he's a Nobel Peace Prize laureate . . .

To continue to keep Biden on as the titular POTUS is a form of elder abuse.
It somehow, though it hasn't gotten so far as of yet, reminds me of the ending of the movie "Z" IE "Lithe and fierce as a tiger"
"Z" is a brilliant film.

So far the US ruling class is resorting to typical 3rd world lawfare, e.g., the protest at the US Capitol Building and Trump civil real estate trial along planted rumours and innuendo, e.g., "Russian asset", rather than outright murder of opponents.

Will be interesting to seen what effect, if any, this civil ruling against Trump and the threat of seizure will have on NY commercial real estate values.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:47 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:30 pm

But, but, he's a Nobel Peace Prize laureate . . .

To continue to keep Biden on as the titular POTUS is a form of elder abuse.
"Z" is a brilliant film.
IMHO best political thriller ever.
So far the US ruling class is resorting to typical 3rd world lawfare, e.g., the protest at the US Capitol Building and Trump civil real estate trial along planted rumours and innuendo, e.g., "Russian asset", rather than outright murder of opponents.
The Romans used to insisted on death to those working against the republic with mercy to their families if deserved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dvbX8imXnI

Now the standard is utter destruction of the offender and their off spring.
Will be interesting to seen what effect, if any, this civil ruling against Trump and the threat of seizure will have on NY commercial real estate values.
Montage of reactions to NY's government actions WRT Trump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIz-RiRWeZM
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Washington Times

The Biden administration has a strong incentive to hide or not reveal the existence of an Iranian bomb because of President Biden’s repeated pledges over the years not to allow the Iranians to have a nuclear bomb on his watch. ....

If the Biden administration were to acknowledge the existence of the Iranian bomb, the president would be pressured to take action.

But what action ?

The article sayin Mull*hs will "test" while Biden still President, probably next few months .. So that Trump would behave :lol:

Well, that means Mull*hs could decide US election.

Iran has nothing to fear,
everything to gain

from low-level proxy war

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:43 pm .

Washington Times

The Biden administration has a strong incentive to hide or not reveal the existence of an Iranian bomb because of President Biden’s repeated pledges over the years not to allow the Iranians to have a nuclear bomb on his watch. ....

If the Biden administration were to acknowledge the existence of the Iranian bomb, the president would be pressured to take action.

But what action ?

The article sayin Mull*hs will "test" while Biden still President, probably next few months .. So that Trump would behave :lol:

Well, that means Mull*hs could decide US election.

Iran has nothing to fear,
everything to gain

from low-level proxy war

Profiting from Terrorism The mad mullahs gonna burn in hell. Go directly to hell GO not pass paradise Do not collect 72 virgins

Heracleum Persicum

Doc, "Paradise" no good, there all Cardinals, Bishops and weirdos gathered

Hell is where all the fun girls and Las Vegas crowed are :D
Heracleum Persicum

The Democrats Paying for Nikki Haley to Stay in the Race
Thousands of Nikki Haley’s donors are Democrats doing everything they can to stop Trump and undermine the GOP.

“I refuse to quit,” Haley told supporters and members of the media gathered in Greenville, SC. “South Carolina will vote on Saturday, but on Sunday, I’ll still be running for President. I’m not going anywhere. I’m campaigning every day until the last person votes.”
The better question, however, is where Haley’s campaign money is coming from. Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings for the month of January suggest that, despite a third-place finish in Iowa, where she captured less than 20 percent of the vote, her loss in New Hampshire, which was her best chance at beating Trump, and her loss in the Nevada primary to “none of these candidates,” Haley will have the cash to keep going.

Every trick in the book is used to derail Trump

But , IMVHO , Trump only chance America has for an as good as it get "Soft Landing" .. alternative would be much worst than USSR style crash
Heracleum Persicum

noddy, saw your post, you too pessimist .. look for positives in the "New World Order"

The "New Comers" are aware and thankful for all the progress and achievements that the "White man" bought to world 8 billion population and humanity.

And

Past is past .. not forgotten but forgiven.

West now must demonstrate to the word that West now thinking in "Common interest" and looking for a win-win for all, for humanity.

World "needs" WEST, just asking for fair deal for all.

Now it is the job for "Western Joe the six pack" to make clear to their leaders that Western Joe, the mass, wants work with "The New World" for the good of all.

There no reason for War

Talking is the key now

noddy

Post by noddy »

still blaming the white man - its boring and not worth the effort to type.

their a more chinese and indians living the good life now than europeans, this is the rise of the global south.

find me a chinese man who wants his family to live poorer so an african kid gets more food, and we can continue any discussion,

maybe you can see whats really going to happen.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:36 am
find me a Chinese man who wants his family to live poorer so an African kid gets more food, and we can continue any discussion,

This no "charity" debate, it ain't so that Western Plumber should live poorer so that an African kid gets more food

Swiss pharmaceutical companies now do most "Pharmaceutical scientific Research" in India because India scientist pay is 10% of the Swiss one.

Western Joe was living way over what he/she was worth .. now he must compete with the Indian, Chinese.

West must invest more in Education, into scientific invention and train the workforce.

Notion, Trumps and now European idea, to put high tariff on Chinese EV to protect BMW and VW or Mercedes means screwing your own consumer and long term will lead to decline of West.

In future China, India will built cars, same as now no TV produced in West

"Patents" , intelectual property, income from that makes a nation rich .. West should concentrate on that

And

Change the tax system , so that rich pay taxes .. now they don't

Heracleum Persicum

https://youtu.be/4mANYRsnaZw?si=hI31ErNugMODAeFc&t=744

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. says what HP sayin and sayin

Is reported Trump asked him to be his VP, Kennedy said NO
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ct2f_xQgCN4

Barack Hussein Obama was the most nasty US president last 100 yrs .. had neither Anglos nor African ethics

Trump no pretension, he "you get what you see" guy

He learned his lesson with Zionist and the Mull*hs :D

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-rur ... -democracy
They do not mince words about what this means for the future of democracy in America. “Rural voters—especially the White rural voters on whom Donald Trump heaps praise and upon which he built his Make America Great Movement—pose a growing threat to the world’s oldest constitutional democracy.”

And Schaller and Waldman bring receipts.

In a book filled with reams of data to back up their arguments, Schaller and Waldman show that rural whites “are the demographic group least likely to accept notions of pluralism and inclusion” and are far less likely to believe that diversity makes America stronger.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Oh! A new jeremaid with all the facts marshalled to justify abuse of a segment of people because they will not follow diktats. :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

NINE TO ZERO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOVVU_WCq2g

BREAKING: SCOTUS 9-0 In Trump Favor On Colorado Ballot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 am Oh! A new jeremaid with all the facts marshalled to justify abuse of a segment of people because they will not follow diktats. :)
Quite.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 am https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-rur ... -democracy
They do not mince words about what this means for the future of democracy in America. “Rural voters—especially the White rural voters on whom Donald Trump heaps praise and upon which he built his Make America Great Movement—pose a growing threat to the world’s oldest constitutional democracy.”

And Schaller and Waldman bring receipts.

In a book filled with reams of data to back up their arguments, Schaller and Waldman show that rural whites “are the demographic group least likely to accept notions of pluralism and inclusion” and are far less likely to believe that diversity makes America stronger.
That is because diversity has never made a country stronger. Historically Americans came from all over the world and generally agreed they came from a good place to be *From*
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I'd say, "you'd have to laugh," if the intent wasn't so malicious.

8 years ago, these votes were conceptually (and conventionally) thought of as solid Democratic voters. That forgotten distant past of 2015-2016, they supposedly turned into the biggest monsters the earth has ever seen. In the span of months they threw away all virtue and reasoning, and learned to hate. :)

Meanwhile, this is just the same playbook of "What's the Matter With Kansas." Everyone had to take as a serious study of the failings of what? Suburban ring voters for being the disgusting pigs they are. Only if the lil' piggies knew we know how they should vote.

...I guess it's a type of progress: "Kansas" wished for the votes of the pigs; "Rural Rage" opens the question if the pigs should even get to vote at all.

-------------

The media promotion of this goes hand in hand with the "worrying trend of white supremacy/christian nationalism among Latino voters" because they may dare break 45-55 Republican soon.

No one dare mention that for 50 years now we've had one grouping totally insensitive to any policy, incentives or context, who will vote 90% one way without fail. No deep dives into what sort of motives on the diversity and inclusion scale makes that tick.
Heracleum Persicum

America’s 80-year need for war

Every eight decades America has solved big domestic crises through major wars.

Is history repeating itself or can the cycle be broken ?

Does America need an exorcism ?

There is indeed an 80-year pattern in American history that has global implications.

Every eight decades, the US faces an existential internal crisis that is overcome with war.

David Goldman
Gold, Bitcoin surges show black swan risk rising
Investors taking out insurance against extreme events
– the sort of trouble that might arise from a geopolitical crisis

Foreign central banks hold $3.4 trillion of Treasury debt and all foreigners own more than $8 trillion.

Confiscation of reserves persuaded many foreign investors, official as well as private, to shift to gold.

If war becomes high probability, Energy stocks will rise (as oil will become a tactical weapon), technology stocks will fall (as their need is strategic and not tactical, not imminent).

There is ZERO doubt that this time the "REAL" WORLD WAR ahead .. last time the war was "mostly" among Western power themselves.

This time the world has split between 3 Poles .. and the war will be between these 3 poles

US debt is in stratosphere, Debt Clock :

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/about ... WXEALw_wcB

This can not be repaid .. there a need for war to "balance the books"

All signs on the ground point to a big war ahead .. ZERO doubt "tactical" battlefield Nuclear bombs will be used, ZERO doubt

Question now arising is : How will things look day after ? .. who will be the winners, who the losers.

Easy guess .. look at who lost and who won 1947

3rd world won, British Empire disappeared

Those who have not much, will lose not much .. those who have a lot, will lose a lot

Lets hope I am wrong

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.