"Cradle of Civilization "

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: " Cradle of Civilization "

Post by noddy »

then they grew up, left home, and formed the new world anglosphere.

which is the "Peak of Cilvilisation" , attracting talent from around the world, despite itself.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Re: " Cradle of Civilization "

Post by Simple Minded »

That raises an interesting question, what happened to the Cradle of Civilization? Why did they become so uncivil?
Typhoon

Re: "Cradle of Civilization "

Post by Typhoon »

Regarding the veneration of ancient achievements.
June 29, 1980
Athens, Greece.

It appears the Greeks take their past very seriously.

They study ancient Greek archaeology in their elementary schools for six years, having to take 10 hours of that subject every week. It is a kind of ancestor worship for they emphasize always how wonderful the ancient Greeks were — and wonderful indeed they were.

When to encourage them by saying yes and look how modern man has advanced beyond the ancient Greeks (thinking of experimental science, the development of mathematics, the art of the renaissance, the great depth and understanding of the relative shallowness of Greek philosophy, etc., etc.) — they say, “What do you mean — what was wrong with the ancient Greeks?”

They continually put their age down and the old age up, until to point out the wonders of the present seems to them to be an unjustified lack of appreciation for the past.

They were very upset when I said that the thing of greatest importance to mathematics in Europe was the discovery by Tartaglia that you can solve a cubic equation — which, although it is very little used, must have been psychologically wonderful because it showed a modern man could do something no ancient Greek could do, and therefore helped in the renaissance which was the freeing of man from the intimidation of the ancients — what they are learning in school is to be intimidated into thinking they have fallen so far below their super ancestors.

~ Perfectly Reasonable Deviations From The Beaten Track, collection of R. P. Feynman letters
Similarly, one may ask why a gifted individual, such as the late - tragically so, Maryam Mirzakhani, had to leave the "Cradle of Civilization" for the much maligned West in order for her talents to flourish.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

nothing lasts forever.... civilization is a fragile veneer...
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Interesting stuff. How many "Cradles of Civilization have existed only to be wiped off the face of the planet?

Interesting potential answers. How did this advanced technology suddenly come into existing? Because it came from civilization that were erased by Cosmic catastrophes?

G0Cp7DrvNLQ

0H5LCLljJho
Doc

Post by Doc »

"Rockaby building"

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Folks , we have now a 2nd "Maryam Mirzakhani"

Tina Torkaman.jpeg
Tina Torkaman.jpeg (10.7 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Tina Torkaman

Sharif University, Tehran, Graduate

Harvard Mathematics Doctorate

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.03937

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDsfVXjLzw