This too shall pass.
Doc

Are we ready to rumble?

Post by Doc »

https://www.reuters.com/article/taiwan- ... SL1N2M516J
Taiwan reports largest incursion yet by Chinese air force

By Reuters Staff

3 Min Read

TAIPEI (Reuters) -Twenty-five Chinese air force aircraft including fighters and nuclear-capable bombers entered Taiwan’s air defence identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, the island’s government said, the largest reported incursion to date.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/12/chin ... index.html

US and China deploy aircraft carriers in South China Sea as tensions simmer

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ukraine-tel ... -1.1588972

Ukraine Tells Russia to Pull Back Troops as U.S. Warns of Costs

iywKH60NUGg

fZOK-Tl5wyg
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Re: Are we ready to rumble?

Post by Zack Morris »

I'm sad for Hong Kong and sad for what will inevitably be Taiwan's fate. The US will not get involved and even if it did, it would likely result in military humiliation (it is inevitable that China, soon to be the world's dominant economic and cultural force, will eclipse our military capability).

I think that Americans -- and Europeans, too -- are not psychologically prepared for Chinese supremacy. This will be a major crisis for the West, which is used to looking down on Asians. It will be like 1905 but on a much larger scale.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Zack Morris wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 am I'm sad for Hong Kong and sad for what will inevitably be Taiwan's fate. The US will not get involved and even if it did, it would likely result in military humiliation (it is inevitable that China, soon to be the world's dominant economic and cultural force, will eclipse our military capability).

I think that Americans -- and Europeans, too -- are not psychologically prepared for Chinese supremacy. This will be a major crisis for the West, which is used to looking down on Asians. It will be like 1905 but on a much larger scale.
I think Chinese are are not psychologically prepared for Western supremacy. This will be a major crisis for the East , which is used to looking down on the Barbarians.

hopefuilly Taiwan can move its best and brightest to America before its too late.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/tsmc-to ... ctory.html
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:15 am
Zack Morris wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 am I'm sad for Hong Kong and sad for what will inevitably be Taiwan's fate. The US will not get involved and even if it did, it would likely result in military humiliation (it is inevitable that China, soon to be the world's dominant economic and cultural force, will eclipse our military capability).

I think Chinese are are not psychologically prepared for Western supremacy. This will be a major crisis for the East , which is used to looking down on the Barbarians.

hopefuilly Taiwan can move its best and brightest to America before its too late.

I'm at a loss here. Since all Asians look the same, how do you tell the racist ones from the non-racist ones? :?

Please help Colonel Sun.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hard to say. At this time it revolves around whether the CCP successfully invades Taiwan or not. I don't expect Biden to do what is needed to get ready for a war. I am pretty sure it would be a war with both the CCP and Russia at the same time. Without Russia the CCP does not have currently enough nukes (though they are building ICBMS as fast as they can) So their war plans almost certainly involve Bio-logical weapons. If there is a war the US would have to win it fast.

It is not that the CCP is advanced. It is because they are insane. Or maybe they are just willing to break eggs to make an omelet.

https://claudearpi.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... -bomb.html
Mao and the Atom Bomb
New Tang Dynasty Television, the Falun Gong group TV channel reported that, during the last Chinese New Year, CCTV-9, the Chinese documentary channel broadcast a program based on declassified China-Russia historical files.
Apparently one episode showed Mao’s famous 1957 speech in which he boasted that he had no fear of nuclear war nor how many of the world’s people would be killed, including in China.
What is less known is that Mao said the same thing to Jawaharlal Nehru, the Indian Prime Minister when the latter visited China in October 1954.
Several years ago, I wrote:

Mao then came to the second and main part of his argument which will remain in the history: his description of the atom bomb as a ‘paper tiger’.
For him, the US thought they were strong because of their superiority in three sorts of weaponry: 'artillery, navy and bomb'. But, for the Chinese leader there was no basic differences with the ‘olden days’, the weapons might become more and more sophisticated, but the outcome would remain the same. He told Nehru:

In olden days they used 'cold weapons' (i.e., knives, swords etc). Now hot weapons (rifles, guns etc.) are used. Cold ones kill less people and hot ones kill more people; atomic weapons will kill still more people. But besides increasing the rate of mortality they make no difference. In a third world war, many more people would be killed.

That is not all!
Dr. Li, in his Private Life of Chairman Mao, wrote that a few years later, Mao recalled his meeting with Nehru. He then realized the meaning of Mao’s words about the atomic bomb:

... it was so hard to accept, how willing Mao was to sacrifice his own citizens in order to achieve his goals. I had known as early as October 1954, from a meeting with India’s prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, that Mao considered the atom bomb a “paper tiger” and that he was willing that China lose millions of people in order to emerge victorious against so-called imperialists. “the atom bomb is nothing to be afraid of,” Mao told Nehru.
China has many people. They cannot be bombed out of existence. If someone else can drop an atomic bomb, I can too. The death of ten or twenty million people is nothing to be afraid of.
Nehru had some strong reservations. First of all, for him, “even without war, India would have attained freedom.” He thought that in fact India would have been freed earlier without the war.

Dr. Li added: “In 1957, in a speech in Moscow, Mao said he was willing to lose 300 millions people - half of China population. Even if China lost half its population, Mao said, the country would suffer no great loss. We could produce more people.”Nehru's second point was that though the US had won the war, they were still unhappy. He could therefore not accept Mao's argument; he had told him that though a war was bad and therefore should be avoided, still if it comes, one should welcomed it.
Nehru believed that a third World War would be qualitatively different from the two earlier conflicts. Though the Americans thought that they could destroy the administrative, strategic and industrial centres of the USSR, in return, the Soviets would certainly not keep quiet. American centres would be destroyed and it would trigger an uncontrollable chain reaction.
For Nehru, the hydrogen bomb releases energy which itself creates another energy which wants to kill; none would be able to control the chain of reaction. For the Indian Prime Minister, the industrialized countries would eventually be destroyed.
Mao agreed that there was a disagreement between them on this point.
He told Nehru that his analysis about the US having benefited [of Hiroshima] and still having difficulties [being unhappy] was very good.
He also accepted his argument of the qualitatively difference in weapons, though “victory or defeat hinges on the scope of destruction suffered”.
Dr. S. Gopal said that after his meetings with Mao, Nehru minuted in a small note on the file, that this record was not always accurate.
Sometimes the Indian version (mainly his comments on the atom bomb) did not tally with what Mao said later.

In any case, the 1957 version of Mao's speech tallies perfectly with what Dr. Li reported from that Mao-Nehru encounter in October 1954.

Mao’s ‘Nuclear Mass Extinction Speech’ Aired on Chinese TV
Li Jian
New Tang Dynasty Television
March 5, 2013
During the Chinese New Year, the Chinese regime’s documentary channel, CCTV-9, ran a series on declassified China-Russia foreign affair files dating back to the Mao Zedong era. One episode showed Mao’s never-before-aired famous 1957 speech in which he boasted that he had no fear of nuclear war nor how many of the world’s people would be killed, including in China.
Cheng Ming Magazine in Hong Kong reported that the negative impact of the documentary would likely have severely downgraded Mao’s image among Chinese viewers.
With two episodes broadcast nightly for a week, the 18-episode documentary presented historical events previously unknown to the public, including the relationship between China and the former Soviet Union after 1949, and details of the Korean War, and the Taiwan Strait wars.
It also revealed Mao’s relationship with Joseph Stalin and Nikita Khrushchev, his successor, exposing many instances of mutual scheming, betrayal, political blackmailing and extortion through witness testimonies from Rong Zhi, who worked at the Soviet Embassy in China, and Shi Zhe, the daughter of Mao’s early Russian interpreter.
Chinese history experts on the Cold War, such as Shen Zhihua, Yang Kuisong, and Li Haiwen, provided the latest historical interpretations.
An episode titled “The One Above All” showed footage of Mao speaking at the World Communist Representative Meeting in Moscow in November 1957, giving his famous speech, “American Imperialism Is a Paper Tiger.”
Mao’s exact words were: “I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. China has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone.”
Although this famous quote has been passed around among ordinary Chinese, there are still many who have refused to believe it.
Some media pointed out that now the Communist Party’s television station has confirmed that Mao actually said it, that makes it an undeniable fact. Leftists and Maoists can no longer say that Mao and the Party put the wellbeing of people above all else, they said.
Total war:

viewtopic.php?p=152726#p152726
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Taiwan isn't going to give up its crowned jewels.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Doc wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm

Hard to say. At this time it revolves around whether the CCP successfully invades Taiwan or not. I don't expect Biden to do what is needed to get ready for a war.
I can guarantee you the GOP will not be advocating for war with China over Taiwan.
I am pretty sure it would be a war with both the CCP and Russia at the same time. Without Russia the CCP does not have currently enough nukes (though they are building ICBMS as fast as they can) So their war plans almost certainly involve Bio-logical weapons. If there is a war the US would have to win it fast.
There won't be a nuclear exchange. The US will find some face-saving excuse to back down and accept reality.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:08 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm

Hard to say. At this time it revolves around whether the CCP successfully invades Taiwan or not. I don't expect Biden to do what is needed to get ready for a war.
I can guarantee you the GOP will not be advocating for war with China over Taiwan.
Last time I checked the Democrats weren't to pleased with the idea of the CCP invading Taiwan.
I am pretty sure it would be a war with both the CCP and Russia at the same time. Without Russia the CCP does not have currently enough nukes (though they are building ICBMS as fast as they can) So their war plans almost certainly involve Bio-logical weapons. If there is a war the US would have to win it fast.
There won't be a nuclear exchange. The US will find some face-saving excuse to back down and accept reality.
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the CCP? Alternately are you now or have you ever been a racist?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Zack Morris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:05 pm

aaah, the unashamed cultural/racism of the east asians is always lurking.

still, prejudices are one thing, real outcomes another.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:07 am
Zack Morris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Honestly I think Taiwan has an ace in the hole with this. The government should announce that if invaded it will destroy all of its semi fabs. Its call assured mutual destruction.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Meaning Westerners are prejudiced against Asians, or Asians are prejudiced against Westerners, or Asians are prejudiced against Asians?

Doc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am Honestly I think Taiwan has an ace in the hole with this. The government should announce that if invaded it will destroy all of its semi fabs. Its call assured mutual destruction.
That is an excellent idea. A video showing how the self-destruct explosive charges are already installed in the facilities would be very influential.

WHOA!!! On a larger scale, if everyone wore suicide vests capable of killing everyone within a 20 yard radius, it would solve all the crime problems thru out the world.

Internet arguments would still exist, so Nirvana for the tech savvy woke crowd is still a long way off.......
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am
Honestly I think Taiwan has an ace in the hole with this. The government should announce that if invaded it will destroy all of its semi fabs. Its call assured mutual destruction.
AMD?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:34 pm
AMD?
We have the Intel they are ready to ARM.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Honestly I think Taiwan has an ace in the hole with this. The government should announce that if invaded it will destroy all of its semi fabs. Its called assured mutual destruction.
AMD?
AS opposed to Mutual Assured Destruction. Taiwan would be perfectly sane in doing that, given the situation. They would certainly not be MAD. :P
Last edited by Doc on Wed May 05, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

AMD?
People who are dyslexic tend to be less angry.......
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am

Meaning Westerners are prejudiced against Asians, or Asians are prejudiced against Westerners, or Asians are prejudiced against Asians?

Doc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am Honestly I think Taiwan has an ace in the hole with this. The government should announce that if invaded it will destroy all of its semi fabs. Its call assured mutual destruction.
That is an excellent idea. A video showing how the self-destruct explosive charges are already installed in the facilities would be very influential.

WHOA!!! On a larger scale, if everyone wore suicide vests capable of killing everyone within a 20 yard radius, it would solve all the crime problems thru out the world.

Internet arguments would still exist, so Nirvana for the tech savvy woke crowd is still a long way off.......
They could even end internet arguments. Ever time someone gets booted from Facebook they could just remotely blow up the suicide vest of the person plus the suicide vest of someone at random on the opposite side of the world.

Better not shout
You better not scream
You sure as hell better not be mean
I'm telling you why
Social Media is coming for you

It knows when you are sleeping
It knows when you brush your teeth
It knows when you say racist things.
So be woke for goodness sake.
Social Media is coming for you
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm
AMD?
We have the Intel they are ready to ARM.
I don't see much RISC in that.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Based on some of your earlier posts I'd have sworn you were a South Asian supremacist, but looks like maybe I was wrong and that you're really a Chinese supremacist.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 am

Based on some of your earlier posts I'd have sworn you were a South Asian supremacist, but looks like maybe I was wrong and that you're really a Chinese supremacist.
An American/Western tradition amongst a certain subset of the chattering classes - disparaging ones own culture/civilization. I recall such pundits of previous generations saying the same things about the former Soviet Union.

Later, American pundits going on about the inevitable domination of the world by Japan Inc. before the Bubble Economy burst. I happened to be living in the US at this time, so it made for interesting reading/viewing, to say the least.

While it is probably accurate that the US has, for the first time since end of the WW1, a competitor across all fronts - economic/military/political/cultural - it remains to be seen who will come out on top. China has a long history/tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of the dragon of victory. Admittedly, the current situation in the US does not appear promising, the ruling class being culturally inbred, naïve about geopolitics, and consisting of opportunists mainly interested in scheming for personal advantage.

The nation that will prevail is the one that screws up the least.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 am
Apollonius wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 am

An American/Western tradition amongst a certain subset of the chattering classes - disparaging ones own culture/civilization. I recall such pundits of previous generations saying the same things about the former Soviet Union.

Later, American pundits going on about the inevitable domination of the world by Japan Inc. before the Bubble Economy burst. I happened to be living in the US at this time, so it made for interesting reading/viewing, to say the least.
Zack and his ilk always remind me of spoiled children, raised in bubbles, who think complaining about everything demonstrates their sophistication to the audience who is not privileged enough to be miserable. When there are no serious problems in one's life, imaginary problems are unbearable.

A now deceased friend had a wife who often acted and spoke similarly to Zack. Once, at a restaurant, the dining was so exceptional, the only thing she could find to complain about was that the waiter put too much ice in her water glass!!
Colonel Sun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 amWhile it is probably accurate that the US has, for the first time since end of the WW1, a competitor across all fronts - economic/military/political/cultural - it remains to be seen who will come out on top. China has a long history/tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of the dragon of victory. Admittedly, the current situation in the US does not appear promising, the ruling class being culturally inbred, naïve about geopolitics, and consisting of opportunists mainly interested in scheming for personal advantage.

You should trademark that last sentence.

Not falling on one's sword is a very valuable management skill. Especially in the plethora of situations where everything will be fine if you just sit down, shut up, and do nothing. Sad to say, it is tough for the meddlers to do.
Doc

Post by Doc »

KlXuz5QpJfI
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:58 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 amWhile it is probably accurate that the US has, for the first time since end of the WW1, a competitor across all fronts - economic/military/political/cultural - it remains to be seen who will come out on top. China has a long history/tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of the dragon of victory. Admittedly, the current situation in the US does not appear promising, the ruling class being culturally inbred, naïve about geopolitics, and consisting of opportunists mainly interested in scheming for personal advantage.

Not falling on one's sword is a very valuable management skill. Especially in the plethora of situations where everything will be fine if you just sit down, shut up, and do nothing. Sad to say, it is tough for the meddlers to do.
China is self limiting in the sense its always by the Chinese, for the Chinese - this keeps its relevance less, erm, relevent

America - and to a lesser extend the anglosphere and even more so europe, have messy post colonial things happening, mass immigration happening, all sorts of pressures that will test their coherancy and ability to maintain standards.

yet, these are also the things that tie countries together via family linkages.

it doesnt matter how well China does, outsiders arent allowed to play, even the Chinese diaspora Ive worked with my whole life is more suspicous of trying to get something going with a mainland chinese than they are with an anglosphere country.

the rules arent reliable.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 am
Simple Minded wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:58 am

China is self limiting in the sense its always by the Chinese, for the Chinese - this keeps its relevance less, erm, relevent

America - and to a lesser extend the anglosphere and even more so europe, have messy post colonial things happening, mass immigration happening, all sorts of pressures that will test their coherancy and ability to maintain standards.

yet, these are also the things that tie countries together via family linkages.

it doesnt matter how well China does, outsiders arent allowed to play, even the Chinese diaspora Ive worked with my whole life is more suspicous of trying to get something going with a mainland chinese than they are with an anglosphere country.

the rules arent reliable.
It is interesting to note that Mao hated Chinese culture and was an Amerophile. The CCP is all about the continuation of the CCP