The New Gnosticism

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Apollonius

The New Gnosticism

Post by Apollonius »

Progressive identity politics: The new Gnosticism - Tom Flanagan, C2C Journal, 9 July 2021
https://c2cjournal.ca/2021/07/progressi ... nosticism/

... Our modern-day Gnostic’s identity is an irreducible and immutable essence. If one is born Black or Indigenous or female, one has certain characteristics that are like imperishable stigmata. Thus the gay liberation movement has banned use of the phrase “sexual preference” in favour of “sexual orientation,” presuming that homosexuality is an innate and immutable characteristic, not a choice that can be made or unmade.

Perhaps even more obvious is the case of transgender ideologists, who speak of a female (or male) person trapped inside a male (or female) body. They advocate allowing children to demand hormonal treatment or even surgery to begin the outward revelation of their true identity. This is eerily reminiscent of the Gnostic pneuma trapped within the human being, unlike the common-sense view of the self as involving biological maturation and experiential growth within a genetically inherited framework.

Pneuma and gnosis also appear in other branches of Progressive identity politics. Feminists celebrate “women’s ways of knowing,” and Indigenous advocates speak of their “traditional knowledge” not accessible to outsiders. Similarly, Progressives denounce science and scholarship for being White – see the recent attack on the Whiteness of astronomy for its use of the term “black holes.”

The common thread in these positions is to see knowledge not as the result of processes of study, learning, and discovery that are accessible to anyone willing to make the effort, but as the special enlightenment of an elect, what Thomas Sowell called the “vision of the anointed.” They have received insight that others cannot share or appreciate; to try is to be guilty of “cultural appropriation.” And, as Sowell memorably pointed out, Progressives also tend to see other opinions not just as different but immoral. Opinion and morality are easily conflated when you think of knowledge as resulting from “lived experience” rather than logical reasoning.
Apollonius

Re: The New Gnosticism

Post by Apollonius »

The error of idealism - Chilton Williamson, The Spectator, 24 Juney 2021
https://spectatorworld.com/life/error-idealism-realism/

... Due to the character of idealistic societies where the predominating idealistic chorus is intentionally monotonal, distinguishing a single voice from the great mass of singers is difficult. Nevertheless, in the case of the United States one of them in particular does stand out above the rest. It belongs to Francis Fukuyama, the author of a bestselling book published nearly three decades ago, The End of History and the Last Man, that fully and exactly expresses modern idealism in its American manifestation. Arguing as a Hegelian, Fukuyama claimed that liberal democracy is the ‘end point of mankind’s ideological evolution’ and the ‘final form of human government’. The ‘ideal of democracy’, he insisted, cannot ‘be improved on’. While ‘history understood as a single, coherent, evolutionary process, when taking into account the experience of all times’ does not move in a straight line, neither is it random nor unintelligible. The process is equivalent with modernization itself.

That was how many liberal democrats understood the ideal society as realized by idealists in the early 1990s. Thirty years on, the idealists in President Biden’s White House imagine their ideal world differently. So do their more realistically minded opponents wearing red ballcaps and carrying metaphorical pitchforks.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Opinion and morality are easily conflated when you think of knowledge as resulting from “lived experience” rather than logical reasoning.
their is some truth to that - some folks can never understand eachother because their backgrounds are too divergent, their priorities too out of whack.

doesnt mean they couldnt learn , just that its unlikely to happen.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:59 am
Opinion and morality are easily conflated when you think of knowledge as resulting from “lived experience” rather than logical reasoning.
their is some truth to that - some folks can never understand eachother because their backgrounds are too divergent, their priorities too out of whack.

doesnt mean they couldnt learn , just that its unlikely to happen.
Amen. One's past is the ultimate filter. (tm)
noddy

Post by noddy »

this is curly stuff, im not really convinced that the believers in logical reasoning and objective truth, really , actually want that.

thats the world of scientism, of jumping around like an durian based on the latest half baked statistic.

their is always the sprinkling of judeo christian (tm) rules on top of that , which immediately puts it all back in cultural camps of lived experience.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

How 'bout:

NapLajoieonSteroids

Apollonius wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 am The error of idealism - Chilton Williamson, The Spectator, 24 Juney 2021
https://spectatorworld.com/life/error-idealism-realism/

... Due to the character of idealistic societies where the predominating idealistic chorus is intentionally monotonal, distinguishing a single voice from the great mass of singers is difficult. Nevertheless, in the case of the United States one of them in particular does stand out above the rest. It belongs to Francis Fukuyama, the author of a bestselling book published nearly three decades ago, The End of History and the Last Man, that fully and exactly expresses modern idealism in its American manifestation. Arguing as a Hegelian, Fukuyama claimed that liberal democracy is the ‘end point of mankind’s ideological evolution’ and the ‘final form of human government’. The ‘ideal of democracy’, he insisted, cannot ‘be improved on’. While ‘history understood as a single, coherent, evolutionary process, when taking into account the experience of all times’ does not move in a straight line, neither is it random nor unintelligible. The process is equivalent with modernization itself.

That was how many liberal democrats understood the ideal society as realized by idealists in the early 1990s. Thirty years on, the idealists in President Biden’s White House imagine their ideal world differently. So do their more realistically minded opponents wearing red ballcaps and carrying metaphorical pitchforks.
It's the ontological claim that people are who they say they are.
noddy

Post by noddy »

that sequence of tweets touches on something ive long felt.

the neurotic , lonely inner city folks are driving this scream for community, lashing out at all and sundry for not providing THEM with their small village comfort of being normal.

they are also socially dysfunctional and unable to build community around them , their lives are built on churn, moving on to the next fun thing, walking away from the boring thing.

and they are the magority.

the "own nothing, be happy" thing isnt a conspiracy, its the logical consequence of a people with no attachments, no responsibility, no sense of anything except an escape from them selves through novelty.

the gnostic, scienctism thing is a useful side effect, a religion of convenience, subject to their whims and new ideas.

fukiyama is just a normal middle class durian who lives under the impression that everyone else wants to be him, but is denied the oppurtunity - which is a line of thought that appeals to his kindred spirits - other people are oppresed and denied the glory of being middle class westerners , its impossible to suspect they dont actually want to be that.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ubcultures

during my lifetime it was anarchist punks and skinheads, followed by nihilist grunge/heroin chic, followed by emo goth suicidals and now we have the alphabet people and their genital identities.

androgynous types have showed up the whole time, dandies, flappers, new romantics.

which isnt to say all this new stuff isnt stupid, nor that any of its analysis is going to be wrong, just that in all these cases the vast magority of the teenagers at the time only participated on a fashion level before moving on, while the "hardcore believers" have always been short fuses with tragic outcomes.

id even argue the grunge/heroic chic thing was likely more toxic and damaging - we have been a rollercoaster of lunatic youth counter cultures since industrialisation as far as i can tell.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

"repent motherfucker"
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ubcultures

during my lifetime it was anarchist punks and skinheads, followed by nihilist grunge/heroin chic, followed by emo goth suicidals and now we have the alphabet people and their genital identities.

androgynous types have showed up the whole time, dandies, flappers, new romantics.

which isnt to say all this new stuff isnt stupid, nor that any of its analysis is going to be wrong, just that in all these cases the vast magority of the teenagers at the time only participated on a fashion level before moving on, while the "hardcore believers" have always been short fuses with tragic outcomes.

id even argue the grunge/heroic chic thing was likely more toxic and damaging - we have been a rollercoaster of lunatic youth counter cultures since industrialisation as far as i can tell.
1IQdhUd4V1o

except now, David Bowie cuts his cock off on stage and goes beyond disturbing the squares and old folks by becoming a professional harasser.
NapLajoieonSteroids

I don't think it's androgyny though I am sure if translated to another time and place, a lot of these little girls and boys would've been way into whatever androgynous fashion was popular at the time.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i think their is an escalating existentialism on all this, which is the bit that all threads turn into the same thread.

the modern world is not providing much of a place for any of these kids - globalism hoovers up the top 10%, local industry and government another %50 (or whatever) and we have endless millions with nothing much to do.

once you are irrelevant and have no place in society, who cares.

this is not a good time to be mediocre, or sub mediocre, so funnily enough we have this rise in "im special and unique" as cry for relevance
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:48 am I don't think it's androgyny though I am sure if translated to another time and place, a lot of these little girls and boys would've been way into whatever androgynous fashion was popular at the time.
for me it is, the difference being the faith in scientism/medicine has changed, so the expectations of possibility have changed with it.

my main problem with all the trans stuff is in those murky details - crude surgery that kinda looks the part from a distance shouldnt be allowed to be called a "sex change".

then again, a bag of plastic sewed into the chest makes some chicks feel better about having larger breasts .. human self perception is a crazy place.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:26 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:48 am I don't think it's androgyny though I am sure if translated to another time and place, a lot of these little girls and boys would've been way into whatever androgynous fashion was popular at the time.
for me it is, the difference being the faith in scientism/medicine has changed, so the expectations of possibility have changed with it.

my main problem with all the trans stuff is in those murky details - crude surgery that kinda looks the part from a distance shouldnt be allowed to be called a "sex change".

then again, a bag of plastic sewed into the chest makes some chicks feel better about having larger breasts .. human self perception is a crazy place.
The aesthetics are the least of my concern, though I can easily see the point, especially in light of certain practical situations.
noddy

Post by noddy »

it would be interesting to know the ratios of male/female trans ness in different environments.

my prejudices would suggest that more urban men would want to be femminised and more rural woman masculanised.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 am id even argue the grunge/heroic chic thing was likely more toxic and damaging...
There's no question about that. But that doesn't rule out an argument that damage has always been the point, and we're continually getting better at it.

I suppose one could argue about the economics of it but that's quite a can of worms to open up
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

A few cents. Existential crisis seems to be indeed at the core. The solipsistic-narcissistic "I am extremely special, a category of my own". Where sex and gender identification feed on whatever fashion feel-good is on offer, telling you what you actually see in the mirror. "A woman with a penis!", "No! A man who feels like a woman!", "Neither, because you are a unique, totally fluid you/it/they/thy/thee kinda individual!". Every category or label negates your unique/individual/subjective inner reality. The last label applicable has to be: "I am not any of THAT!" And after that, only nothing is left. Empty words, a headache and a hangover.

It is becoming a critically saturated landmass ready to mudslide down, the biological survival instinct kicking in with a panic attack: "Mob.. help me!! Anyone??" Here The Savior is Anonymous. Not a doctor with a name and a face, not Lord Jesus Christ himself, not even any of your best friends. Nor a prescription drug, a temporal solution that will surely destroy you in the end... but with at least a name and daily dose written on it. Something or somebody identifiable. The anonymous mob cannot be trusted; the safety of the herd is temporal and without mercy. The old and weak are left behind without much ado to feed the predators and keeping them busy for a while.

Being agnostic about death, not sure if that is possible. The knowledge, certainty and fear of death is pretty hard-core. No way around it. But it should not dominate young peoples lives, let alone kids. They should feel and believe they will live forever, needing nobody in particular and especially not a mob to medicate existential panic attacks.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:06 pm A few cents. Existential crisis seems to be indeed at the core. The solipsistic-narcissistic "I am extremely special, a category of my own". Where sex and gender identification feed on whatever fashion feel-good is on offer, telling you what you actually see in the mirror. "A woman with a penis!", "No! A man who feels like a woman!", "Neither, because you are a unique, totally fluid you/it/they/thy/thee kinda individual!". Every category or label negates your unique/individual/subjective inner reality. The last label applicable has to be: "I am not any of THAT!" And after that, only nothing is left. Empty words, a headache and a hangover.

It is becoming a critically saturated landmass ready to mudslide down, the biological survival instinct kicking in with a panic attack: "Mob.. help me!! Anyone??" Here The Savior is Anonymous. Not a doctor with a name and a face, not Lord Jesus Christ himself, not even any of your best friends. Nor a prescription drug, a temporal solution that will surely destroy you in the end... but with at least a name and daily dose written on it. Something or somebody identifiable. The anonymous mob cannot be trusted; the safety of the herd is temporal and without mercy. The old and weak are left behind without much ado to feed the predators and keeping them busy for a while.

Being agnostic about death, not sure if that is possible. The knowledge, certainty and fear of death is pretty hard-core. No way around it. But it should not dominate young peoples lives, let alone kids. They should feel and believe they will live forever, needing nobody in particular and especially not a mob to medicate existential panic attacks.
People are mortally fluid.
"When you are young you have hope."
"You grow older and you lose hope".
"You grow older still, and then you die"

(As seen in an cemetery scene from pre-1989 Eastern European film Don't remember the name as that was thirty years ago)

But there is a new hope. It seems people are starting to wake up. Al bet with a hang over.

What is becoming painfully clear with the Democrats and MSM reaction to the VA election of "We didn't beat the dead horse enough yet" is that their bosses are definitely not the people that voted for them but the Davos class.

Build back better is a dog whistle for Build Back Broker "Broke" being the new "woke" As in "We own everything, you own nothing and we don't give a lavender about any of you."

Politically no one is this stupid. It is just not possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBO7Nk_FAg

dLBO7Nk_FAg
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Interesting elections ahead. How much insanity can hold long term? As long as climate change and covid fear mongering continue, probably longer than necessary.

I watched this full docu last night:

o-RdumGRvm4

A really nice and impressive expedition of scientific value. But without exception these scientists are left-leaning messianic people who are convinced they need to save humanity, even the planet. Then I thought: as long as the science is good, that's not such a big thing. Good science and technology are never lost. As with solar and wind; unlikely to ever provide enough energy for industrialized societies, but the climate change paranoia did boost research and technology in those areas. Nice to have stuff! Elon Musk, perhaps brilliant but equally paranoid (believing we should escape earth and settle elsewhere "before it is too late") does develop great tech.

The US might be wise and use the richness of its fossil fuel reserves to invest in the last gen safe nuclear power plants of the future. The only technology that can really save the planet if thou asketh me. China will not hesitate.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Paenrodite wrote:Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:34 pm Interesting elections ahead. How much insanity can hold long term? As long as climate change and covid fear mongering continue, probably longer than necessary.

I watched this full docu last night:

o-RdumGRvm4

A really nice and impressive expedition of scientific value. But without exception these scientists are left-leaning messianic people who are convinced they need to save humanity, even the planet. Then I thought: as long as the science is good, that's not such a big thing. Good science and technology are never lost. As with solar and wind; unlikely to ever provide enough energy for industrialized societies, but the climate change paranoia did boost research and technology in those areas. Nice to have stuff! Elon Musk, perhaps brilliant but equally paranoid (believing we should escape earth and settle elsewhere "before it is too late") does develop great tech.

The US might be wise and use the richness of its fossil fuel reserves to invest in the last gen safe nuclear power plants of the future. The only technology that can really save the planet if thou asketh me. China will not hesitate.
The Chinese people certainly won't benefit from the CCP's lack of hesitation. As the West certainly won't benefit from Climate change alarmism.

This is about control by the few over the many. What better way is there to control people other than having power over their lives because they have no choice other than ask those in control for bread crumbs in order to survive."He who has the power to destroy a thing, controls it" - Frank Herbert, Dune. (While this has been said by many, this is the most succinct version I know of)

It is the Venezuelan model. Apparently some people feel that Venezuela is the future, and that the vast majority of people have no future.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 am
noddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 am id even argue the grunge/heroic chic thing was likely more toxic and damaging...
There's no question about that. But that doesn't rule out an argument that damage has always been the point, and we're continually getting better at it.

I suppose one could argue about the economics of it but that's quite a can of worms to open up
the economics is everything and the damage is irrelevant, their is profits to be made from teenage angst and i doubt anyone is looking at it any deeper than that.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

It seems Im working for the wrong company.

An american firm is now offering $40k ($55k in mengele money) to chop your own knob off.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at ... 89509b8d18
Transgender employees in Australia and New Zealand working for a software company will be offered a benefits package worth $55,000 to cover treatments such as gender affirmation surgeries and hormonal therapy.
i wonder if i could negotiate higher, I really think i value it more than that.
ultracrepidarian
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Why Wokeism is a religion - Michael Shellenberger, 11 November 2021
https://michaelshellenberger.substack.c ... a-religion

Introducing the Taxonomy of Woke Religion

... Both Peter [Boghossian] and I would like to stress that we have published the Taxonomy in service of the liberal and democratic project of social and environmental progress, which we believe to be under threat from Wokeism. We believe the U.S. is well-positioned to reduce police killings, crime, and carbon emissions; protect the lives and the mental health of trans, non-gender conforming, and cis-gender people; and better treat of the mentally ill and drug addicted. But doing so will require that Wokeism weaken its grip over the American psyche.

As Peter writes, “bigotry and racial discrimination are real and they have no place in society. Yes, there is ongoing racism. Yes, there is ongoing homophobia. Yes, there is ongoing hatred of trans people. These are morally abhorrent and we all need to work together to bring about their end. The woke religion, however, is not the way to stop these moral horrors. It is making our shared problems more difficult to solve.”
Woke Religion.jpeg
Woke Religion.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1402 times

I would add a whole row to the graph devoted to art, music, and aesthetics in general.

The woke will not allow you to believe that any piece of art or music is ugly. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', they say, and 'You just need to have the meaning of the work explained to you'.