Current Global Pandemics | COVID-19

This too shall pass.
Typhoon

Re: Current Global Pandemics | COVID-19

Post by Typhoon »

Nature Med | Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
Abstract
The cardiovascular complications of acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are well described, but the post-acute cardiovascular manifestations of COVID-19 have not yet been comprehensively characterized. Here we used national healthcare databases from the US Department of Veterans Affairs to build a cohort of 153,760 individuals with COVID-19, as well as two sets of control cohorts with 5,637,647 (contemporary controls) and 5,859,411 (historical controls) individuals, to estimate risks and 1-year burdens of a set of pre-specified incident cardiovascular outcomes. We show that, beyond the first 30 d after infection, individuals with COVID-19 are at increased risk of incident cardiovascular disease spanning several categories, including cerebrovascular disorders, dysrhythmias, ischemic and non-ischemic heart disease, pericarditis, myocarditis, heart failure and thromboembolic disease. These risks and burdens were evident even among individuals who were not hospitalized during the acute phase of the infection and increased in a graded fashion according to the care setting during the acute phase (non-hospitalized, hospitalized and admitted to intensive care). Our results provide evidence that the risk and 1-year burden of cardiovascular disease in survivors of acute COVID-19 are substantial. Care pathways of those surviving the acute episode of COVID-19 should include attention to cardiovascular health and disease.
Reuters summary.

Risk of new heart problems much higher after COVID recovery

Long after recovery from COVID-19, people face significantly higher risks for new heart problems, a large study has found.

Researchers at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs compared rates of new cardiovascular problems in 153,760 individuals infected with the coronavirus before vaccines were available, 5.6 million people who did not catch the virus, and another 5.9 million people whose data was collected before the pandemic. An average of one year after their recovery from the acute phase of the infection, the COVID-19 survivors had a 63% higher risk for heart attack, a 69% higher risk for problematic irregular heart rhythm, a 52% higher risk of stroke, a 72% higher risk of heart failure, and a nearly three times higher risk of a potentially fatal blood clot in the lungs [pulmonary embolism] compared with the other two groups, according to a report published on Monday in Nature Medicine. The elevated risks among former COVID-19 patients were evident in young and old, Blacks and whites, males and females, people with and without diabetes and with and without kidney disease, as well as smokers and nonsmokers, said Ziyad Al-Aly of the VA St. Louis Health Care System and Washington University in St. Louis.

The risks were high even in people who had mild COVID-19 and did not need to be hospitalized for it, he noted in a Twitter thread. "It really spared no one," Al-Aly told Reuters. "People with COVID-19 should pay attention to their health and seek medical care if they experience symptoms like chest pain, chest pressure, palpitation, swelling in the legs, etc."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png
coronavirus-data-explorer.png (668.23 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_1.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_1.png (730.01 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_2.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_2.png (640.16 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_3.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_3.png (758.04 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_4.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_4.png (696.75 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png
united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png (493.78 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nature | mRNA vaccine-induced antibodies more effective than natural immunity in neutralizing SARS-CoV-2 and its high affinity variants
Abstract
Several variants of SARS-CoV-2 have emerged. Those with mutations in the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE2) receptor binding domain (RBD) are associated with increased transmission and severity. In this study, we developed both antibody quantification and functional neutralization assays. Analyses of both COVID-19 convalescent and diagnostic cohorts strongly support the use of RBD antibody levels as an excellent surrogate to biochemical neutralization activities. Data further revealed that the samples from mRNA vaccinated individuals had a median of 17 times higher RBD antibody levels and a similar degree of increased neutralization activities against RBD-ACE2 binding than those from natural infections. Our data showed that N501Y RBD had fivefold higher ACE2 binding than the original variant. While some antisera from naturally infected subjects had substantially reduced neutralization ability against N501Y RBD, all blood samples from vaccinated individuals were highly effective in neutralizing it. Thus, our data indicates that mRNA vaccination may generate more neutralizing RBD antibodies than natural immunity. It further suggests a potential need to maintain high RBD antibody levels to control the more infectious SARS-CoV-2 variants.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (680.51 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_1.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_1.png (722.76 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_2.png[/attachment ][attachment=2]excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_3.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_4.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_4.png (693.16 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png (472.9 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
Attachments
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_3.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_3.png (636.98 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_2.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline_2.png (758.25 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

COVID contains Moderna patented gene sequence. One in three trillion chance this developed naturally.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... atent.html
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (682.49 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (665.97 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (660.84 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png (502.55 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

3DB7F24B-6BA0-4013-8547-296485214860.jpeg
3DB7F24B-6BA0-4013-8547-296485214860.jpeg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Not clear how that chart informs as most of the world is labelled as "no data".
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (677.03 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline.png
excess-mortality-p-scores-projected-baseline.png (609.87 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
coronavirus-data-explore_daily_USAr.png
coronavirus-data-explore_daily_USAr.png (454.5 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png (502.64 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer_daily.png
coronavirus-data-explorer_daily.png (599.04 KiB) Viewed 4792 times
coronavirus-data-explorer_cm.png
coronavirus-data-explorer_cm.png (619.5 KiB) Viewed 4792 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nature | Morgue data hint at COVID’s true toll in Africa
Around 90% of deceased people tested at a Lusaka facility during coronavirus surges were positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection, suggesting flaws in the idea of an ‘African paradox’.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (680.27 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (683.23 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (702.31 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (684.21 KiB) Viewed 4638 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer_map.png
coronavirus-data-explorer_map.png (729.17 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
coronavirus-data-explorer_2.png
coronavirus-data-explorer_2.png (611.43 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (682.17 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Nonc Hilaire

It’s over.

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

5F20666C-645D-47E2-8FB6-06865521435B.png
5F20666C-645D-47E2-8FB6-06865521435B.png (651.62 KiB) Viewed 4599 times

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Indeed. Time to move on.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Far from becoming a pandemic, but given the recent hysteria . . .

US CDC | Monkeypox

WebMD | Monkeypox - What to know
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc started a new topic for the monkeypox scam. Leave this one for the legal and financial aftermath of the Covid hoax.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 pm Doc started a new topic for the monkeypox scam. Leave this one for the legal and financial aftermath of the Covid hoax.
I've updated the "COVID in the USA" title thread.
Will post monkeypox info here if and only if it were to become a major global health issuse.
No evidence that that is the case to-date.