Why are Most People Cowards?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOJLGpfnX34

zOJLGpfnX34
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Re: Why are Most People Cowards?

Post by noddy »

Im curious when the alleged golden age of non cowards was.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 am Im curious when the alleged golden age of non cowards was.
Before "snowflakes" were a generation
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:02 am
noddy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 am Im curious when the alleged golden age of non cowards was.
I doubt that human nature has changed much since the start of recorded history.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

One aspect of cowardice is that people generally prefer death over suffering.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:36 pm One aspect of cowardice is that people generally prefer death over suffering.
Some do. Others "Hope" things will get better.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:23 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:02 am
I doubt that human nature has changed much since the start of recorded history.
What is new is "participation certificates" in Juvenal sports IE no winners and losers. Plus video games where 30 years olds sit in their mother's basement and play them.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

BJ1aOACfYQE
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:36 pm One aspect of cowardice is that people generally prefer death over suffering.
not sure I understand this.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:04 am
Bravery and suicide are similar. Cowards think they can escape suffering/anxiety.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 am
Bravery and suicide are similar. Cowards think they can escape suffering/anxiety.
that I understand.

Im at my bravest when Im at my most jaded and I dont care what the outcome is, give me something to lose, something to worry about and perceptions are vastly different.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:39 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 am
that I understand.

Im at my bravest when Im at my most jaded and I dont care what the outcome is, give me something to lose, something to worry about and perceptions are vastly different.
Not sure I understand it myself. Everyone is both hero and coward depending on sympathetic nervous system response.

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

It's its association with cruelty. Exaggerated examples found countless in military history really highlight how some of the most courageous people can be both incredibly brave and monstrously cruel from moment to moment.
noddy

Post by noddy »

most people are cowards because they wont take my politics as seriously as I want them to.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Coward - be aware of your Jungian Monster and take it seriously......

Bravery - can be consumed by your monster to the point you merge with it.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
kmich

Post by kmich »

“Cowardice” is not a constituent of anyone’s character, but instead is only a pejorative applied to those whom we believe do not have the “will” to act or respond in a manner that we, from our own frames and biases, consider “courageous.”

I prefer the Aristotelian term “Akrasia” or “weakness of the will” to our customary pejorative. In Plato's Protagoras, Socrates denies that there is any such thing as knowing what is wrong but doing it anyway since alleged cases of this are in fact instances in which the agent mistakenly supposes that she is doing what is best. In Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics VII, he defends the Protagoras' position that the akratic (i.e., “cowardly”) agent acts in ignorance. So, essentially, people act in a particular situation based on their understanding at the time.

As David Hume pointed out; reason is “slave to the passions” so our understandings are distorted by our sentiments. While reason can help guide action, actions can only be initiated by our passions or inclinations. So how does one train the mind in body to develop a will that is effective and focused in dangerous or passion provoking situations?

Consider performing surgery. The prospect of taking a scalpel and slicing into a living human body would provoke apprehension and likely a degree of revulsion in most normal people. Is that because of cowardice? No, it is just a lack of knowledge and training.

While gaining knowledge to properly order the mind to the task is essential, substantial training and practice are also necessary to be able to perform in spite of our natural fears and revulsions, our body's accustomed sympathetic arousal responses. The Greeks had it right that overcoming ignorance with knowledge is necessary to correct apparent "akrasia" when faced with dangerous situations, but it is hardly sufficient. I suspect Socrates understood this since he served in the Athenian army with distinction during the Peloponnesian war.