Cancel Culture

This too shall pass.
noddy

Cancel Culture

Post by noddy »

might be braindead, couldnt find existing topic.
--

it seems we might be moving past it - Netflix has recently ignored the outrage over Chappel, and now Spotify has told Neil Young to cancel himself instead of Joe Rogan.

I always hoped that the wallet was the real vote, not the angry twitters, it appears that for some big corporates thats still the case.

ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I don’t think the wallet is the point.

The cancel culture crowd is pretty small. I read a James Carville interview where he put the liberal progressive faction at 8%, but they know how to use media and project a Potemkin movement.

I think the real players are just tired of having to suck up to every loudmouth whiner with an opinion.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

On the other hand, this is far more serious:

Yoko Ono has threatened to have her music added to Spotify unless Joe Rogan is cancelled.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 am . . .

The cancel culture crowd is pretty small. I read a James Carville interview where he put the liberal progressive faction at 8%, but they know how to use media and project a Potemkin movement.

I think the real players are just tired of having to suck up to every loudmouth whiner with an opinion.
One hopes.

Any organization using "it's trending on Twitter" as a reason for cancellation is the 21st equivalent of the 19th century UK courts polling a lunatic asylum as what the decision of a case brought before them should be.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | The hippies have become the cops
Neil Young heads a band of censorious anti-Spotify snowflakes
You either die a rebel or live long enough to see yourself turn into a snowflake.
The generation of free love and free expression have gradually transformed into the baton-wielders.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell sold many of their music rights to a Blackrock subsidiary. Pfizer is also associated with Blackrock.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

I cant remember where I saw it but the best comment Ive seen so far on this is that its not Joe Rogans fault that nobody can tell the difference between click bait light entertainment and actual news.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Saw a similar comment about how revealing it was for the commentator to read messages by supposed newsmen who were comparing their job to Joe Rogan's talk show while demanding he live by their standards.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/t ... 708bef6e71

wokeling whoopie getting cancelled by other wokelings for being on the wrong side of critical race theory is a wonderful example of the sillyness.

someone really needs to publish the up to date ordering of the victimology chart - its hard to keep track of who is up and down and allowed to be punched.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:20 am https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/t ... 708bef6e71

wokeling whoopie getting cancelled by other wokelings for being on the wrong side of critical race theory is a wonderful example of the sillyness.

someone really needs to publish the up to date ordering of the victimology chart - its hard to keep track of who is up and down and allowed to be punched.
She’s being cancelled by the ADL, not other wokelings. In the US all public holocaust discussion must precisely toe the ADL guidelines.

Whoopi really is a victim this time. Hopefully this will bring about positive growth.

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:20 am https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/t ... 708bef6e71

She's not being cancelled though, as of now she will be back on the air after a two week hiatus. Whether she sticks around much after that is another matter as gossip she will be retiring before the summer hiatus, but as of now she'll get to take her bows when she exits stage left.

This is not her first brush with controversy either, and in context of her daytime yapping show not her comedy routine- there was defending NFL quarterback Michael Vick dogfighting, defending Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski as not committing "rape-rape" ; defending Mel Gibson as a good guy; then some real off-color political remarks.

What I don't understand is this poor whoopi-mentality, like from the author of that article, that somehow she is a step too far. If anything, it amazes that by the new rules, she continues getting special carve outs.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh well, black and woman, she has 2 layers of protection - just needs to lose a limb and become a lesbetian.

one thing im seeing pop up around the spotify saga - and havent verified because I cant bring myself to read Neil youngs whine, is that this is really about the boomer era musicians who are used to fans giving them $20 every format change getting angry at earning 0.001 cents a play.

they cancel spotify because it costs them nothing to do so.

Rogan being paid 100 million (or whatever) while they beg for pennies is the real issue they are upset about.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am
What I don't understand is this poor whoopi-mentality, like from the author of that article, that somehow she is a step too far. If anything, it amazes that by the new rules, she continues getting special carve outs.
the author of that article isnt doing poor whoopie, he is nominally old school lefty - poor people and workers and enjoys playing hystronics games with the wokelings.

this pool of people is the wild card in all of our societies - the modern left doesnt like them very much so they end up on the right depsite not caring about any right wing issues beyond attacking the left.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:10 am one thing im seeing pop up around the spotify saga - and havent verified because I cant bring myself to read Neil youngs whine, is that this is really about the boomer era musicians who are used to fans giving them $20 every format change getting angry at earning 0.001 cents a play.

they cancel spotify because it costs them nothing to do so.

Rogan being paid 100 million (or whatever) while they beg for pennies is the real issue they are upset about.
Maybe, a lot could be said to make that case; I think its personally driven by Young and Mitchell's childhood bouts of polio and CSN joined in because its not a full drama without every player from that cast of characters.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:23 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am
the author of that article isnt doing poor whoopie, he is nominally old school lefty - poor people and workers and enjoys playing hystronics games with the wokelings.

this pool of people is the wild card in all of our societies - the modern left doesnt like them very much so they end up on the right depsite not caring about any right wing issues beyond attacking the left.
That is how I read it; for example, from the column itself:
And so Goldberg’s fundamental mistake was to somehow absorb this bloodlessly dogmatic language of perpetual oppression and then blurt it out in a mindless word salad that almost poetically demonstrated the idiocy at the heart of critical race theory.
It was a mistake, she got confused in these topsy turvy times; she absorbs the dogma and as a passive actress mindless regurgitates it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i read that as his attack on the "idiocy at the heart of critical race theory"

woopity is just a convenient creature to hang his story on and is largely irrelevant.
--

I think your take is largely correct, just that I suspect you thought about that paragraph more than he did.

between the muslim footballer not wanting to play in the gay pride round, to whoopie, to joe rogan, he had a big juicy "genuflect the wokeling sillyness" article staring him in the face and it was a quick type-at-the-speed of thought article to cover all the bases.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:45 am i read that as his attack on the "idiocy at the heart of critical race theory"

woopity is just a convenient creature to hang his story on and is largely irrelevant.
--

I think your take is largely correct, just that I suspect you thought about that paragraph more than he did.

between the muslim footballer not wanting to play in the gay pride round, to whoopie, to joe rogan, he had a big juicy "genuflect the wokeling sillyness" article staring him in the face and it was a quick type-at-the-speed of thought article to cover all the bases.
Yeah, and I'm laughing that I got myself into multiple posts about this; I agree that she's a contrivance but journalism is the art of thinking and writing about templates; the template is a problem.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You guys are like several years behind the curve on this
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids