The demise of the dollar

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Heracleum Persicum

Re: The demise of the dollar

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm FT | Central bankers agree: the dollar’s still the top dog [paywalled]
The greenback remains unchallenged as the currency of choice for monetary officialdom
Claire Jones APRIL 24 2022

We’ve been writing about the international monetary system for long enough to be somewhat dubious about oft-repeated claims of the dollar’s demise.

Sure, we can see why the greenback ought to be dethroned. The US is no longer the economic power it once was, inflation’s at multi-decade highs, and now Washington has frozen hundreds of billions of dollars worth of assets held by regimes it doesn’t like.

But history tells us that global reserve currency status tends to work like Teflon in reverse — it’s really hard for all of that exorbitant privilege to come unstuck. Our faith in the dollar is only bolstered when we come across nuggets such as this:

central_bank_pollwebp.png

That particular piece of evidence comes courtesy of Central Banking’s latest annual poll of official sector reserve managers — that is, the people responsible for investing the rainy-day stockpiles built up by central banks across the world.

The poll of 82 reserve managers, who together manage reserves worth a whopping $7.3tn — or 48 per cent of the world’s total — was conducted between February and mid-March. So some of the respondents might have reassessed their answer following the decision to put about $300bn-worth of the Russian central bank’s assets on ice due to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

But frankly we doubt there’s been too much of a reassessment among this crowd. For large, conservative investors such as these, there is simply no real alternative. As this respondent to the poll noted:

It’s not about absolute security. It’s about the relations between selected currencies. And measured by relative value, USD is still the largest economy in terms of taxes generation, it is the most technological economy (the largest global technology companies are from the US), it has the biggest financial market, the most transparent regulation and the longest tradition.

That’s not to say that there hasn’t been interest in other currencies too — over half of the survey respondents invest in the Australian and Canadian dollars, and in the renminbi. Interest in alternatives is on the up too:

Compared with last year’s survey, the numbers investing in Australian and Canadian dollars increased marginally, but the increase for renminbi is significant — 41 in 2022 compared to 33 in 2021. Indeed, the onshore renminbi is poised to win more converts, with 14% of respondents saying they are considering investing now. Interestingly, the number of respondents investing in the offshore renminbi is lower than the 2021 figure of 22…

. . . Viewed regionally, reserve managers from African central banks are notable for investing in the renminbi (both on- and offshore), and real at above sample percentages, as well as the South African rand. Reserve managers from the Americas favour Scandinavian currencies as well as the Singapore dollar and Korean won. The won is popular among reserve managers from Asia: one- third of the sample invest in this currency, compared to 19% in the survey. Just over 70% of reserve managers invest in the Australian dollar and nearly half in the New Zealand dollar, both considerably higher than the survey. There was considerable support for the Singapore dollar too.

But, in terms of the big picture, these efforts at diversification are piecemeal. As the IMF’s quarterly summation of the currency composition of the official sector’s assets repeatedly show:

dollar_resereve_currencywebp.png

Of course, at some point this will all change. No reserve currency remains on top forever. But, if central bank reserve managers have anything to do with it, the dollar’s going nowhere anytime soon.

Yes, the above is "right now".. things changing rapidly, for "multiple" reason.

- world economies changing dramatically, for many reasons

- Also, Western policy of "sanctions" becoming bigger and bigger drag on West .. when at the same time, those sanctioned developing their own system and escaping from Western shackles

Add to all that the catastrophic American "debt" .. U.S. National Debt Surpasses $30 Trillion .. US National debt in relation to GDP 133.92% .. China 68.06% .. Iran 39.53% .. Russia 19.28%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-li ... ebt-to-gdp
Heracleum Persicum

What if China and Japan dump their US Treasuries ?
America’s top Asian bankers hold a combined $2.4 trillion in US Treasury debt and both have good cause to sell

TOKYO – The Japanese yen’s sharp decline may be producing an unexpected loser: the US Treasury Department.

One of the most intriguing mysteries of the last three months is this : Why is Japan, the biggest foreign holder of US Treasury securities, placing so many “sell” orders ? In three months, Japanese institutional managers have dumped a cool $60 billion of US paper.

Granted, that is a drop in the proverbial bucket considering Tokyo holds a $1.3 trillion stack of Washington’s IOUs. But the magnitude of the selling is getting increasingly hard to ignore.

The most plausible explanation is the yen’s 13% drop so far this year. That fall complicates the economics of loading up on US debt at a moment when US inflation is at 40-year highs. That’s despite the negligible 0.22% return investors receive on 10-year Japanese government bonds..
Heracleum Persicum

Stock plunge could become dollar death spiral
Stock sales financed soaring US trade deficit

America’s soaring trade deficit, now running at a record $1.32 trillion annual rate, requires the US to sell paper to its foreign suppliers in return for goods.

Most of the paper the US sold to foreigners during the past few years was equity in US corporations, rather than government or corporate bonds.

Valuations in the US stock market soared as the Federal Reserve forced interest rates lower, by reducing its short-term lending rate to zero and by purchasing $6 trillion of Treasury securities.

The result of this exercise is the worst inflation in forty years and a collapse of labor productivity that portends shrinking corporate profits. As the Fed raises interest rates (in the mistaken belief that higher rates will reduce inflation) and inflation eats into profits, the valuation of US stocks is falling. That raises the ugly prospect of a deficit death spiral.

With a net foreign asset position of $18 trillion, the United States can’t go on selling its assets to foreigners indefinitely. At some point the orderly sale of US assets might turn into a fire sale.

chicks coming to roost :lol:

Rest my case
Heracleum Persicum

Saudi Arabia considers accepting yuan
instead of dollars
for oil sales

Saudi and Chinese officials are in talks to price some of the Gulf nation's oil sales in yuan rather than dollars, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arab ... 1647351541

Saudi Arabia Considers Accepting Yuan Instead of Dollars for Chinese Oil Sales

Talks between Riyadh and Beijing have accelerated as the Saudi unhappiness grows with Washington

Saudi Arabia is in active talks with Beijing to price some of its oil sales to China in yuan, people familiar with the matter said, a move that would dent the U.S. dollar’s dominance of the global petroleum market and mark another shift by the world’s top crude exporter toward Asia.

Next to pop is Iranian RIAL .. :lol:

https://bonbast.com/

Heracleum Persicum

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:27 am .

Stock plunge could become dollar death spiral
Stock sales financed soaring US trade deficit

America’s soaring trade deficit, now running at a record $1.32 trillion annual rate, requires the US to sell paper to its foreign suppliers in return for goods.

Most of the paper the US sold to foreigners during the past few years was equity in US corporations, rather than government or corporate bonds.

Valuations in the US stock market soared as the Federal Reserve forced interest rates lower, by reducing its short-term lending rate to zero and by purchasing $6 trillion of Treasury securities.

The result of this exercise is the worst inflation in forty years and a collapse of labor productivity that portends shrinking corporate profits. As the Fed raises interest rates (in the mistaken belief that higher rates will reduce inflation) and inflation eats into profits, the valuation of US stocks is falling. That raises the ugly prospect of a deficit death spiral.

With a net foreign asset position of $18 trillion, the United States can’t go on selling its assets to foreigners indefinitely. At some point the orderly sale of US assets might turn into a fire sale.

chicks coming to roost :lol:

Rest my case

Didn't take long, David , didn't take long

Stock market in full blast crash

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

About that . . .

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 am About that . . .

HP is correct but for the wrong reasons. And I am thinking he won't like the outcome.

All part of the plan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFpdgMSU40
flFpdgMSU40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Na3Px0ROuc
5Na3Px0ROuc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The demise of the dollar is inevitable but not imminent.

The yen and the euro are both expected to collapse before the dollar.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

US Dollar Death has indeed been predicted for ages but Sam turns out to be more resilient than anticipated. It seems to me that The US Hindenburg Zeppelin may catch fire at any moment; tomorrow, or perhaps in 134 years...

In uncertain times gold and silver do very well, so the dollar may be less "fiat" than it appears? Only in weightless free space it would explode immediately; but that would be true for more things that heavily depend on a center of gravity. Just a rope (faith) will do too.

Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 pm US Dollar Death has indeed been predicted for ages but Sam turns out to be more resilient than anticipated. It seems to me that The US Hindenburg Zeppelin may catch fire at any moment; tomorrow, or perhaps in 134 years...

In uncertain times gold and silver do very well, so the dollar may be less "fiat" than it appears? Only in weightless free space it would explode immediately; but that would be true for more things that heavily depend on a center of gravity. Just a rope (faith) will do too.

The real reserve currency is black gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFpdgMSU40

flFpdgMSU40
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Metals, oil and electric (lithium) must all be mined.

The value of the resource is how much is ESTIMATED to be in the reserves @ current value. “Deep storage gold”, “Proven reserves” &c.

Securitizing this estimate is a big part of the natural resource business. The estimate is fully under the control of the producer and is manipulated.

This is how gold miners and oil exploration earned their reputations as con men. Much of the petro in the petrodollar is fictive.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Succinct summary of Trump’s Treasury takeover of the FRB.

https://badlands.substack.com/p/master- ... dium=email

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Counterpoint.

FT - Roubini | A bipolar currency regime will replace the dollar’s exorbitant privilege
The greenback is bound sooner or later to feel the effects of intensifying geopolitical rivalry between the US and China
Define "sooner or later".
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:49 pm Counterpoint.

FT - Roubini | A bipolar currency regime will replace the dollar’s exorbitant privilege
The greenback is bound sooner or later to feel the effects of intensifying geopolitical rivalry between the US and China
So we are doomed to manic / depressive cycles? :P
How about this instead of gold back currency or plan old fiat currency why not oil backed currency?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:24 pm

How about this instead of gold back currency or plan old fiat currency why not oil backed currency?
Oil is a physical asset but commercial demand is too high. Not a store of value as it is aromatic and has a life span. Too many types to be fungible, and bulkier than even copper and nickel.

Imagine rolling an $80 barrel of oil to the grocery store 😂

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 am
Doc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:24 pm

Oil is a physical asset but commercial demand is too high. Not a store of value as it is aromatic and has a life span. Too many types to be fungible, and bulkier than even copper and nickel.

Imagine rolling an $80 barrel of oil to the grocery store 😂
Imagine driving a $80 barrel of oil to the grocery store in your gas guzzling pick up truck. :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | New York to [bond] investors: drop dead
Bombshell bills
The FT article does not address the obvious question: what is the motivation behind these bizarre bills.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am FT | New York to [bond] investors: drop dead
Bombshell bills
The FT article does not address the obvious question: what is the motivation behind these bizarre bills.
Perversely, the biggest beneficiaries of the degradation of America’s premier financial and commercial centre as a bastion of contractual and property rights will not be sovereign borrowers, much less their citizens.
"stakeholders"

Adding 2 + 2 This is Great Reset stuff. Not that in my most forgiving thought could I imagine the great Reset being anything but the greatest attempted theft in history. These same types did not care collapsing the world economy and people starving in the third world in 2009 so why should they care now? My guess is the George Soros types are working on making a killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK4QdSnxkU0

wK4QdSnxkU0
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The US Dollar Might Collapse | Peter Schiff | EP 353

I wonder how many years people have predicted the imminent collapse of the US Dollar. Maybe the global financial ecosystem has become such an intertwined network that it is too big to fail. At least, until some bigger force enters the equations. Or perhaps unaccounted for possibilities like a big Carrington Event / solar blast do happen. The dollar may collapse but not for reasons usually prophesized.

Unexpected twist and turns ahead. “Maybe and who knows…” sounds more like it if thou asketh me. To listen to financial advisors seems a waste of time and a very high risk in and of itself. Their ability to predict the future has not exceeded that of hand readers.

Gold as a secure safe... maybe. But it seems to me a safe more for the rich than the poor. Especially good for banksters. Notably central bankster pranksters. The rich will own all the gold, silver and durable assets. The poor loose most of their savings to inflation and will be at the complete mercy of those pulling the CBDC strings while the eco-fascists centralize their powers joining the oligarchy upper classes.

Woke snowflake generations, kept in eternal infantilism, will be eaten alive once "re-adjustments" inevitably roll down the hill, avalanche and snowflake becoming one in an icy grave.

If I were an investor with considerable juice, I would in due time short-sell on the quantum computing hype. Entangled quantum bits in a superposition that compute… isn’t real. Also, the “error correction” needed to produce useful outcomes grows exponentially more complex, until you might as well dispose of the quantum black box altogether and just write regular binary code.

Short-selling on an empty tomb of Christ would have created an similar yield I’m sure :p. It is possible of course that people have invested so much money and faith in quantum computing as the savior of mankind, that when the tomb is found empty people will start seeing Quantum Christ in the sky. Or suddenly stand next to him in a bar when they discuss crypto-gold and virtual reality not realizing it is Him.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

It’s looking like the ‘Great Reset’ is a euphemism for the cannibalism of the financial system into a few entities which will control everyone.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

99.9% of the financial and economic pundits are to be read, as far as I'm concerned, "for entertainment purposed only".

Most are thick-as-a-brick-ignorant about economic and financial history and the rest have only a superficial understanding.
Which is probably all they need when it comes to schlepping their product.

The following reviews the standard rapid industrialization model followed by massive debt and stagnation in real productivity.
The model followed by the US in the 19th century, the US in the 1920s and 1930s*, Brazil in the 1950's, Japan in the 1960's and 1970's,
S Korea in the 1970's, and Taiwan and PR China in the 1980s

Also the first speaker to connect-the-dots analysis of so-called de-dollarization that is worth the viewing.
China's Economic Growth Model Is Dying | Michael Pettis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8o0TO-rfg

XO8o0TO-rfg
Michael Pettis, Professor of Finance at Peking University and senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, joins Jack Farley to share his thoughts on the Chinese economic growth model, which Pettis argues faces severe challenges.
*<humour>The Great Depression was an every increasing problem for FDR, contrary to revisionist hagiography, until Imperial Japan conveniently bombed the US and lead to the command-economy massive ramp up in production and thus employment - factories.
Well, that and a general mobilization.
In fact, this was a long range plane by the inscrutable and self-sacrificing Japanese to eventually dominate the US by commerce.
Unfortunately, the Americans were [past tense] clever and cajoled Japan to agree to the Plaza Accord - floating the Yen relative to other major currencies. That set off the "pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall'" Bubble Economy.
That and METI dismissing the importance of software.
</humour>

Now all the industrialized nations for "turning Japanese".
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:43 am

*<humour>The Great Depression was an every increasing problem for FDR, contrary to revisionist hagiography, until Imperial Japan conveniently bombed the US and lead to the command-economy massive ramp up in production and thus employment - factories.
Well, that and a general mobilization.
Beyond Humor.. Japan Bombing Pearl Harbor convinced Americans that the economy had to grow. So people had confidence to spend money. FDR's mistake was he was pushing for relief from the great depression via initially boot strap government programs. Being a fan of fascism Roosevelt thought economic activity should revolve around government. HIs fireside chats may have made people feel better but they largely convince people that times were bad and not much reason to think they were going to get better. Something like Qanon telling people to be patient and wait for someone else to do something.
Heracleum Persicum

Things are different this time.
Recently concluded BRICS meeting in Cape Town may go down in history as the moment the anti-dollar movement came of age

Dollars fall , alternative to Swift (Cross-border payments), Oil payment in Yuan , diminishing of Euro and and and

When US started to misuse financial instruments to screw Iran, mad mullahs , the downhill of Dollar and the rest began

India, Argentina, Mexico, China and and , looked at this and decided to build alternatives

And here we are
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:45 pm .

Things are different this time.
Recently concluded BRICS meeting in Cape Town may go down in history as the moment the anti-dollar movement came of age

Dollars fall , alternative to Swift (Cross-border payments), Oil payment in Yuan , diminishing of Euro and and and

When US started to misuse financial instruments to screw Iran, mad mullahs , the downhill of Dollar and the rest began

India, Argentina, Mexico, China and and , looked at this and decided to build alternatives

And here we are
Sure.

A mob of nations that makes the EU Central Committee, pardon me, EU Commission look like brilliant technocrats.