Remove your Google Search History by the end of Feb 29

This too shall pass.
Enki

Remove your Google Search History by the end of Feb 29

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
AzariLoveIran

Re: Remove your Google Search History by the end of Feb 29

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Enki wrote:.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/320137

Very important.

I owe you one

done

Merci Merci Merci

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Did this a few days ago, but thanks for posting the info for general benefit.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Good information, thanks. Can't wait for a competitor to come along and crush those guys.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

afaik this just means the pr0n urls wont embarrass you publicly by appearing in drop downs or affecting your search results, its got nothing todo with whats actually being recorded or what the government can see.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:afaik this just means the pr0n urls wont embarrass you publicly by appearing in drop downs or affecting your search results, its got nothing todo with whats actually being recorded or what the government can see.
Correct.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Aferim

Post by Aferim »

Web history was off since the option first appeared, but thanks anyway.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:afaik this just means the pr0n urls wont embarrass you publicly by appearing in drop downs or affecting your search results, its got nothing todo with whats actually being recorded or what the government can see.
Correct.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Enki.

I am a bit confused.

What is the point then..............

I thought this was supposed to stop Google from recording and what Google hath recorded may be easier for the Government to get without much effort........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:
Correct.
Indeed.

For all we know,
turning off the web history may flag one as suspect and worth monitoring rationalized by the bureaucratic - Orwellian reasoning that "if you have nothing to hide, then why would you turn off your web history record?"
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Mine was already off. Just sayin'.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Interesting. I have a GMail account but set it up to forward to a university account. Unless Google is being really sneaky with cookies, I'm virtually never logged into their services. I do occasionally log into Youtube to upload videos but use a different account there, so Google doesn't yet know the two are linked. Unfortunately, the Youtube account uses my real name (for a good reason). I guess I'll have to be more careful and clear my browser history/cache before uploading videos.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

God remembers everything anyways. Or are we supposed to empty God-cache too? :oops: Ok, but how.
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

monster_gardener wrote:
Enki wrote:
Correct.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Enki.

I am a bit confused.

What is the point then..............

I thought this was supposed to stop Google from recording and what Google hath recorded may be easier for the Government to get without much effort........
the thing to remember is that all the privacy scares you get in the media are all irrational responses to trivial changes in the publicly displayed data by the social networking bigboys... facebook,twitter,apple,microsoft and google.

oh noes, facebook is showing my old posts, privacy issue... oh noes google is showing my pron searching history, privacy issue ... etc.

every damn thing that happens on these sites is stamped with an IP address and happens in plain text over standard web servers and provided you have access to the network you can record someones facebook/google/onthenatureofthings posts and private messages almost as easily from outside the site as inside.

the fact the government has put sniffer boxes on all the main border routers and in all the main isp's is not mentioned and is irrelevant to google changing its policy on whats displayed publicly.
ultracrepidarian
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Parodite wrote:God remembers everything anyways. Or are we supposed to empty God-cache too? :oops:
You [probably] can't do anything to protect yourself from God, but you can do a few things to protect yourself from lesser gods.
Ok, but how.
Join my cult, give me your money. ;)
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Question: what time zone? I just followed the steps. I assume they mean PST (since Google is based in California). It could mean EST (still safe), but if GMT . . .
cultivate a white rose