Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Siemens Energy’s struggling wind unit blows Germany’s largest spinout off course [paywalled]
Investors quiz management after four profit warnings in 18 months
Invest in ESG - the future is so bright that one has to wear shades.
Even as groups of teenagers routinely protested against climate change in the streets below his Munich office, Christian Bruch struck a defiant tone.

“Everybody is looking for a silver bullet which . . . makes [energy] sustainable overnight,” Bruch told the Financial Times in the summer of 2020, as he prepared to take charge of Siemens Energy. “[But] over the next decades we’re going to need natural gas.”

His unfashionable stance failed to cut through to investors. Weeks later, against the backdrop of a resurgent Green party, Siemens Energy slumped on its stock market debut in Frankfurt after becoming Germany’s largest ever spin-off. Those who did invest in the fossil fuels company were more attracted to its sole clean energy business — the rapidly growing Spanish manufacturer of wind turbines, Siemens Gamesa, or SGRE.

Yet it is this renewables unit — rather than the gas and coal contracts that make up the bulk of Siemens Energy’s balance sheet — that now threatens the company’s future and is causing headaches for its largest shareholder, Siemens.

Eighteen months and four profit warnings later, SGRE has wiped billions of euros off its majority owner’s market value. Siemens Energy’s 67 per cent stake in the wind unit has made it “uninvestable”, according to Nicholas Green, an analyst at Bernstein.

On Thursday, Bruch and the rest of Siemens Energy’s management team faced furious investors at the group’s annual meeting. The shareholders had a long charge sheet.

Despite adding €1.4bn in onshore wind orders as demand for renewable energy surged after the COP 26 climate conference, SGRE booked a €289mn loss on its order backlog in the first three months of this fiscal year.

Higher raw material costs and expensive last-minute changes to the 5. X turbine — designed to handle large rotors and maximise energy production in all wind conditions — has left SGRE with what it calls “onerous contracts”. The green energy business, which operates in more than 90 countries, is more than €1bn in debt.

“At the moment, we don’t put any more stock in your forecasts,” Ingo Speich, a portfolio manager at Deka, a Siemens Energy shareholder, told the company’s top brass at the meeting, after Bruch insisted that “the wind market is intact” and that “all parameters are positive”.

Speich added: “The capital market’s confidence has been destroyed and must now be painstakingly regained.”

SGRE’s problems reverberate beyond Siemens Energy’s boardroom. They have raised doubts among executives as to whether European and American companies can compete in the wind energy sector, or whether, as with solar, they will eventually be undercut by cheaper Asian imports.

“There is no profit pool today,” said one person close to Siemens Energy, referring to the wind sector. Indeed, a week after SGRE’s most recent profit warning, competitor Vestas warned of further turbulence after disappointing earnings, while GE said its wind division booked a $312mn loss in the last quarter of 2021.

“If the market [remains] like this,” the person added, “we will have no western company going into [wind energy]. The Chinese will eventually come through with their Belt and Road Initiative, and the next thing they will do is export onshore wind [turbines], at no matter what price.”

Many of the issues at SGRE are being blamed on chaotic management. Since Joe Kaeser, former chief executive of Siemens, led the merger with SGRE in 2017, the business has had four chief executives and five chief financial officers, five heads of onshore, five heads of offshore, and two heads of service, according to analysis by JPMorgan

There was “no integration” and a “lack of visibility” of problems, said another person close to Siemens Energy.

Christian Bruch, Siemens Energy chief executive, cautions that turning a consistent profit from wind energy will, as with fossil fuels, take time and patient management © Thorsten Wagner/Bloomberg
Some missteps were almost comical in nature. In January 2020, for example, SGRE had to adjust its profit target after it incurred more than €100mn of costs as projects in Norway were delayed because of “adverse road conditions and the unusually early onset of winter weather”. The company failed to foresee that snow would fall in the Nordics, one person quipped.

Supply chain chaos also played a part. Per kilowatt, there are 10 times more raw materials in a wind installation than a fossil fuel one — and roughly 400 tonnes of steel in a single turbine. Wind contracts are signed two or three years ahead of delivery, leaving suppliers such as SGRE vulnerable to recent fluctuations in raw material prices.

Such pressures show little sign of abating, and Siemens Energy is still weighing up the commercial prospects of SGRE.

The German group is targeting a profit margin of 8-10 per cent for all its businesses, and the future of SGRE hinges on its ability to deliver a similar return, according to people familiar with the matter.

Kaeser, now chair of Siemens Energy, told the FT that although Siemens “deliberately chose” not to spend money on buying SGRE outright in 2017, when the future of the nascent wind industry was still uncertain, the plan was for Siemens and SGRE to “shape the market” and he was “still convinced that renewable energy will be the energy source of the future”.

While SGRE’s onshore business has struggled, it does have a profitable and growing offshore unit, which investors hope is a blueprint for a turnround.

“It probably wouldn’t take a lot to stabilise the business,” said Vera Diehl, a portfolio manager at Union, one of Siemens Energy’s top five shareholders. “Everybody is desperate for investments in renewables,” she added, “so expectations are very, very low.”

Getting rid of SGRE entirely would be a backwards step, Diehl added, leaving Siemens Energy with the “bad bank” of its fossil fuel business. “The problem is . . . can a fund manager afford to be a loyal Siemens Energy shareholder?”

Energy is the world’s indispensable business and Energy Source is its newsletter. Every Tuesday and Thursday, direct to your inbox, Energy Source brings you essential news, forward-thinking analysis and insider intelligence. Sign up here.

Bruch pointed out that despite projections that the market would grow by 250 per cent over the next 30 years, turning a consistent profit from wind energy would, as with fossil fuels, take time and patient management.

“I think at one point in time [wind] was more seen as a tech stock,” he said, but with on-site blade assembly for each installation, turbines are “still a product, project and service business.”

His message, as in the summer of 2020, may not be one that the market, or society, wants to hear, especially after Germany effectively stalled the development of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia this week.

“If we believe it is easy to achieve energy supply overnight that will be sustainable and cheaper, we fool ourselves,” Bruch told the FT.

“It would be a great story. But it’s not true.”
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

fdphbmIZ4nI
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm fdphbmIZ4nI
this is the real story.

funny part is the west , and any other educated place, watched its quality of life drop because of too many people and stopped breeding.

then the corporates convinced the left wing and right wing talking heads we needed lots of immigration, for reasons, because if their isnt constant growth the ponzi will collapse.

yet, japan remains uncollapsed.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJIw7ulYaGk

rJIw7ulYaGk

Looking At The Sun
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Substack - Shellenberger | Why Biden's Attacks On Energy Are "Absolutely Insane"

Well, I assume that it is Biden's Chief of Staff and his minions that are directing this tragicomedy.

Ron Klain

Lawyer - so scientifically, technologically, and economically illiterate.
Klain has received praise for his organizational abilities and for his responsiveness while serving as President Biden's chief of staff, while drawing criticism for being overly concerned with élite opinion, as reflected by his active Twitter presence, and for being too aligned with his party's left bloc. During his first year in his position, Klain used Twitter, saying "I find being on Twitter useful as an early-warning system of things that, to be honest, reporters are talking about." He also uses the platform to take aim at critics and to push pro-Biden messages.
Another member of the twittering classes who has confused Twitter for reality.
Klain is married to Monica Medina, an attorney, consultant, and co-founder of Our Daily Planet, an environmental news platform
Our Daily Planet

Dumb and Dumber.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

What do Argentina, Abania, Sri Lanka, the Netherlands have in common?

a)GLOBAL WARMIING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PoX7nRcGY

c9PoX7nRcGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyTP_oaXUdY

wyTP_oaXUdY

12 years till doomsday? How about climate change alarmism induced doomsday in 8 days?

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/world ... 2-doomsday

The World Braces For Europe's July 22 "Doomsday"
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAZAcAL
Joe Manchin Is Once Again Setting Climate Hopes on Fire
Angely Mercado - Yesterday 3:15 PM
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

It’s so HOT! Climate change! :roll:
FD16E212-A7D8-428E-9DBD-8A340EF90EEC.jpeg
FD16E212-A7D8-428E-9DBD-8A340EF90EEC.jpeg (140.15 KiB) Viewed 10850 times
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:29 am It’s so HOT! Climate change! :roll:

FD16E212-A7D8-428E-9DBD-8A340EF90EEC.jpeg
All it took for England's "green and pleasant lands" to turn into Mordor was an adjustment to the false colour image.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Thought of posting this in the Netherlands thread, but it seems that the Netherlands are the "tip of the [rapidly melting?] iceberg."

The Spectator | Dutch farmers touch off a worldwide revolt
The European Union and ‘green’ governments are playing with fire
The Eurocrats seem to think that food happens at the supermarket by spontaneous reproduction.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/08/04/mas ... edictions/
Massive Coral Growth at the Great Barrier Reef Continues to Defy all the Fashionable Doomsday Climate Predictions
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm https://dailysceptic.org/2022/08/04/mas ... edictions/
Massive Coral Growth at the Great Barrier Reef Continues to Defy all the Fashionable Doomsday Climate Predictions
Retraction Watch | Science retracts coral reef recovery paper more than a year after a report on allegations in its own pages

Between the researchers at James Cook uni refusing to share their data and methodology and the above, one suspects that most of the work in field is bogus.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AGU | Pervasive Warming Bias in CMIP6 Tropospheric Layers
Plain Language Summary
It has long been known that previous generations of climate models exhibit excessive warming rates in the tropical troposphere. With the release of the CMIP6 (Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Version 6) climate model archive we can now update the comparison. We examined historical (hindcast) runs from 38 CMIP6 models in which the models were run using historically observed forcings. We focus on the 1979–2014 interval, the maximum for which all models and observational data are available and for which the models were run with historical forcings. What was previously a tropical bias is now global. All model runs warmed faster than observations in the lower troposphere and midtroposphere, in the tropics, and globally. On average, and in most individual cases, the trend difference is significant. Warming trends in models tend to rise with the model Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity (ECS), and we present evidence that the distribution of ECS values across the model is unrealistically high.
The adage GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out applies to the the CMIP6 models.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Bjorn Lomborg says he believes current global warming is definately caused by human beings:

https://youtu.be/5Gk9gIpGvSE?t=752

I think he consciously lies to prevent nobody taking him seriously. But if too many people believe we are only years away from the apocalypse and extinction.. it might be more effective to just tell the truth! Which me thinks is: most scientists believe adding C02 to the atmosphere affects climate change, but how exactly and the degree to which it contributes to warming is uncertain given the many forces and variables at work in the evolutions of local weather, climate and global averages.

Given those uncertainties it is good to try to put a break on the rise of C02 levels "just to be on the safe side", but not at all cost because:

1) there are data showing C02 (and methane?) play a relatively small role anyways, and are also maxed-out above certain concentrations,

2) watervapor is the main greenhouse gas, the elephant in the room,

3) climate change is natural and ongoing so the idea that the climate should not change is idiotic; we should always anticipate climate change,

4) even if global warming continues with significant rising seawater levels people can relocate to high enough land masses easily,

5) so... there is no reason to panic whatsoever. A warmer climate also has advantages: more landmass becomes inhabitable and plants grow more easily when its warmer and with higher C02 levels. A new ice-age is much more concerning.
Deep down I'm very superficial
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Re what Lex termed as a debate between those two fellows resulted in fairly little disagreement that I could discern. Perhaps with the surplus of polemics in other realms, the mainstream might be ready to welcome nuance into the climate debate at last.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

COP27 ends in tears and frustration: ‘The world will not thank us’ [paywalled?]
Despite agreement to fund poorer nations, failure to phase out fossil fuels angers negotiators
Choking back his emotions, Tuvalu finance minister Seve Paeniu held up a photo of five youth delegates from his country and expressed his “deep regret and disappointment” that COP27 had been a “missed opportunity”.
No grift for you.
More than 80 countries had supported a proposal to phase down the use of fossil fuels at the UN climate summit in Egypt, he said.

Ultimately, the agreement by almost 200 nations reached after all-night discussions did not go further than the weakened Glasgow COP26 pledge to phase down polluting coal power and phase out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies.

The COP meeting is probably the largest gathering of innumerates and scientific, technologic, and economic illiterates on the planet.

global-primary-energy.png
global-primary-energy.png (560.62 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
Several of the frustrated and exhausted negotiators from western nations blamed the oil- and gas-producing countries led by Saudi Arabia, emboldened by the global energy crisis.

Many of the world’s biggest fossil fuel producers succeeded in staving off the demands for bolder action on climate change as the summit in Sharm el-Sheikh drew to a close on Sunday, in spite of a dramatic threat of an EU walkout the day before.

While the final agreement included a historic commitment for a new fund to help pay for climate-related damage suffered by especially vulnerable countries, a broad range of nations deplored the lack of progress during the two-week summit on how to cut greenhouse gas emissions faster.

“The world will not thank us when they hear only excuses tomorrow,” said the EU’s green chief Frans Timmermans. “This is the make or break decade but what we have in front of us is not enough of a step forward.”

Saudi Arabia had been “playing hardest” in its resistance to faster progress in cutting emissions, said one person involved in the eleventh hour discussions. China also held back progress but was less vocal than the Arab League countries in the negotiations, those familiar with the talks said.

Emotions were on display and resentments obvious during the last 24 hours of the summit.

Glasgow COP26 president Alok Sharma marched furiously away from a negotiating room late on Saturday evening, after a failed attempt by a wide coalition of countries including the UK to link global warming targets to the agreement for a loss and damage fund.

COP26 president Alok Sharma: ‘I’m incredibly disappointed that we weren’t able to go further’ © Peter Dejong/AP
US lead climate lawyer Sue Biniaz shuttled from one room to another with multiple mobile phones, as Biden climate envoy John Kerry worked from his hotel room where he was isolating after being diagnosed with Covid.

At several stages, the final agreement appeared in jeopardy.

A draft text circulated by the Egyptian presidency in the early hours of Saturday said countries should not need to increase their emissions reduction targets, according to two people familiar with the matter. That was “exactly the opposite of what should happen,” said one.

By Saturday morning, the EU threatened to walk away. The bloc cited fears about weakening plans to cut emissions fast enough to meet the 2015 Paris Agreement to keep global warming well below 2C from pre-industrial times, and ideally 1.5C. Temperatures have already risen at least 1.1C.

As the early hours of Sunday approached, the Arab group of nations and Russia resisted wording that emphasised the need for renewable power.

Saudi Arabia pushed for the UN agreement to allow for carbon capture and storage technology, which would limit emissions and enable continued oil and gas production.

Pushing in the other direction, a growing number of countries, including the US and Australia, said they would support a commitment to phase down all fossil fuels.

What emerged early on Sunday morning was an uneasy compromise, with no mention of phasing out fossil fuels.

Some western participants accused the fossil fuel producers of taking advantage of their relationships with host country Egypt. “You have to ask yourself: is this an African COP or an Arab group COP,” said one.

Veteran UN climate summit observer Alden Meyer, a senior associate at the E3G think-tank, said the playbook was familiar. “They [the oil states] traditionally play hard ball in the end stages,” he said. “Clearly they have more influence with this presidency than they have with some others.”

Egypt itself benefited as the host nation on several fronts. It was applauded by African and non-African nations alike for shepherding the creation of the “loss and damage” fund. It was also able to strike a deal with US and Germany to fund a $500mn initiative to help Egypt deploy renewable energy while closing old, leaking gas-powered facilities.

“The level of ambition all over the world is equal,” but financial constraints limited what developing countries could do, he said. Nations including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are classified as developing nations under the UN system dating back to 1992.

Shoukry’s comments echoed the formal remarks to the UN plenary by Saudi Arabia, whose representative thanked the presidency on behalf of the 22 Arab League countries for “titanic efforts . . . to bring about common ground.” 

“Technology transfer and funding are essential to allow the developing states to honour their commitments,” said its representative. “We would like to emphasise that the convention needs to address emissions and not the origin of emissions.”

But Tuvalu’s Paeniu, whose country is among the small island states vulnerable to sea level rise, said it was “regrettable” not to have an agreement about those emissions peaking in 2025 to prevent a rise in temperatures beyond 1.5C.

He had brought the youth delegates with him to demonstrate “the rich cultural heritage of our people, our community, in the Pacific,” he said.

“We do not want to compromise their future and we need to work hard now so we can leave a legacy as good as we have had.”

Additional reporting by Emiliya Mychasuk in Sharm el-Sheikh

They've got to stop meeting like this . . .

COPS_vs_CO2.jpg
COPS_vs_CO2.jpg (440.05 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:32 pm Image
A more detailed plot:

decadal-deaths-disasters-type.png
decadal-deaths-disasters-type.png (399.54 KiB) Viewed 10326 times
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdmppcfixM

YBdmppcfixM

Maybe Elon Musk can be convinced to sponsor a Climate Group headed by Judith Curry and Michael Shellenberger to start a massive counter offensive and stop the irresponsible morons who drive us all down hill very fast. If he can buy twitter he can put a billion or 3 in an sane organisation that promotes decent climate science plus common sense rational politics. Also how to disengage completely from China and Russia within 5 years. I suspect Musk already gave up on planet earth and now wants to escape with rockets as soon as possible.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »