Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

China bans export of core solar panel technologies

A solar panel on a rooftop may include a hundred pieces of silicon and China has the lead now in machinery to manufacture those. Now Chinese manufacturers have been forbidden to use their large silicon, black silicon and cast-mono silicon technologies overseas, according to the newly-amended export guidelines published by the Ministry of Commerce and the Ministry of Science and Technology.

Chinese firms produce more than 80% of the world’s solar panels and modules but have faced heavy tariffs imposed by the United States over the past decade.
After the consultation, the commerce industry decided to ban the export of large silicon, black silicon and cast-mono passivated emitter and rear cell (PERC) technologies.

A Chinese IT columnist said large silicons sized between 182mm and 210mm would become the world’s standard as their market share had grown from 4.5% in 2020 to 45% in 2021 and would probably increase to 90% in future.

He said Chinese firms that tried to produce large silicons overseas would be affected by the new export ban as they might be unable to purchase the necessary equipment from China.

This might be the "First Salvo"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The environmentalist motto should be

"Whatever it is, I'm against it."

~ Marx, Groucho

Gothamist | Major environmental groups oppose $52B plan to build storm surge gates in NY-NJ waterways
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Targeting Toyota for Its Electric-Vehicle Heresy
[US] Public pensions and proxy advisers try to punish the company using corporate governance as a pretext.
Insanity is fast becoming a major US export.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A thread that manages to link the Streisand Effect, the British evacuation of Dunkirk, and the recent world record in coal consumption to produce power.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

World Atmospheric CO2, Its 14C Specific Activity, Non-fossil Component, Anthropogenic Fossil Component, and Emissions (1750–2018)

Abstract

. . . We determined that in 2018, atmospheric anthropogenic fossil CO2 represented 23% of the total emissions since 1750 with the remaining 77% in the exchange reservoirs. Our results show that the percentage of the total CO2 due to the use of fossil fuels from 1750 to 2018 increased from 0% in 1750 to 12% in 2018, much too low to be the cause of global warming.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Hottest Days Ever? Don’t Believe It
‘Average global temperature’ is a meaningless measure, and comparisons to 125,000 years ago are preposterous.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If you're in the northern hemisphere and wondering why it's hot outside . . .

Science | Water vapor injection into the stratosphere by Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai

Water vapour is the dominant greenhouse gas.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Typhoon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:46 am If you're in the northern hemisphere and wondering why it's hot outside . . .

Science | Water vapor injection into the stratosphere by Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai

Who cares about the water vapour..... that name alone is sufficient to eject serious heat into the stratosphere.....'>......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:53 am
Typhoon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:46 am If you're in the northern hemisphere and wondering why it's hot outside . . .

Who cares about the water vapour..... that name alone is sufficient to eject serious heat into the stratosphere.....'>......
:lol:

Death by Hunga-Tonga . . .
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

State of the climate – summer 2023
Posted on August 14, 2023 by curryja | 327 Comments
by Judith Curry, Jim Johnstone, Mark Jelinek

https://judithcurry.com/2023/08/14/stat ... mmer-2023/
The exceptionally warm global temperature in 2023 is part of a trend of warming since 2015 that is associated primarily with greater absorption of solar radiation in the earth-atmosphere system. This increase in absorbed solar radiation is driven by a slow decline in springtime snow extent, but primary by a reduction in reflection from the atmosphere driven by reduced cloudiness and to a lesser extent a reduction in atmospheric aerosol. Any increase in the greenhouse effect from increasing CO2 (which impacts the longwave radiation budget) is lost in the noise.
Dark clouds hanging over the CO2=Satan religion.... with trillions wasted.
ChatGPT wrote:
In skies of heat, where the sun beats down,
Lies a tale of solace, cooling clouds unfound.
They once brought relief from the scorching sun's blaze,
With their gentle shade, in a shimmering haze.

Majestic and grand, like a painter's brush,
They'd cast their shadows, in a cooling rush.
Their billowing forms, a respite so sweet,
A moment of calm, in the summer's heat.

But as time marches on, and memories fade,
These cooling clouds, in the past, are laid.
Their wisps of solace, once so profound,
Now forgotten, lost in a world unbound.

Yet they long to return, to grace the sky,
To offer their gift, as they once did, up high.
In their absence, we yearn for their grace,
To soothe our souls in the sun's fiery embrace.

So, let's not forget those cooling clouds' might,
The shade they provided in the sweltering light.
In the vault of memory, let them be proud,
As saviors of summers, those cooling clouds.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:44 pm State of the climate – summer 2023

The exceptionally warm global temperature in 2023 is part of a trend of warming since 2015 that is associated primarily with greater absorption of solar radiation in the earth-atmosphere system. This increase in absorbed solar radiation is driven by a slow decline in springtime snow extent, but primary by a reduction in reflection from the atmosphere driven by reduced cloudiness and to a lesser extent a reduction in atmospheric aerosol. Any increase in the greenhouse effect from increasing CO2 (which impacts the longwave radiation budget) is lost in the noise.
First-rate article.

Thanks for posting.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:55 am
Parodite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:44 pm State of the climate – summer 2023

First-rate article.

Thanks for posting.
Apparently Climate Change is now old news. The next crisis is now the earth's water supply
https://x.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/170 ... 02686?s=20

OH and just a reminder of what happens when "authorities/authoritarians deny people self determination in their lives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqn2Bowbqm4
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Not a surprise.

Every time I hear or read about someone described as an "environmentalist",
I immediately assume that they are innumerate and wholly ignorant about science, engineering, and economics.
As far I'm concerned the onus is on them to demonstrate otherwise.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Never mind the CO2, here's the Miyake event.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

New Evidence We Are Entering An Ice Age Termination Event - EXPLAINED
As he admits in the end... the jury is still out whether this methane increase is a marker for accellerated climate warming the coming decades that will push us out of the pleistocene ice age altogether into an interglacial warm period.

Another interesting one:
Geological evidence for the 12,000 year cycle of climate disasters | Douglas Vogt

The more factual uncertainty and extreme complexity, the more room for speculation too. Maybe on climate change the jury will be out forever.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The Earth is about 1/2 a degree cooler than anytime since the last ice age.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The elephant in the green renewables, so-called, room.

Introduction and summary:

Intermittent Renewables Can't Work On Their Own

Paper:

Storage requirements to mitigate intermittent renewable energy sources: analysis for the US Northeast
Abstract

Moving away from fossil fuels is essential for a sustainable future. Carrying out this transition without reversing the improvements in the quality of life is the ultimate challenge. While minimizing the anticipated impacts of climate change is the primary driver of decarbonization, the inevitable exhaustion of fossil energy sources should provide just as strong or perhaps even stronger incentives. The vast majority of publications outlining the pathways to “net-zero carbon emission” fall short from leading to a truly “fossil fuel-free” future without falling back to some level of dependence on fossil fuels with carbon capture and sequestration. While carbon capture and sequestration might be a necessary step toward decarbonization, such intermediate goals might turn into a dead end without defining the end point. The main obstacle to wider adoption of renewable energy resources is their inherent intermittency. Solar and wind are, by far, the most abundant renewable energy sources that are expected to take the lion share in transitioning to a sustainable future. Intermittency arises at multiple levels. The most recognized are the short-term (minute-by-minute, hourly, or diurnal) variations that should be the easiest to address. Less frequently realized are the seasonal and inter-annual variabilities. Seasonality poses far greater challenges than minute-by-minute or hourly variations because they lead to the absence of energy resources for prolonged periods of time. Our interest is the feasibility of a future where all energy (100%) comes from renewable sources leaving no room for fossil fuels. We carry out rudimentary statistical analyses of solar radiation and wind speed time series records to quantify the degree of their intermittencies seasonally and inter-annually. We employ a simple but robust accounting of the shortfalls when the supplies do not meet demand via a modified cumulative supply/deficit analysis that incorporates energy losses arising from transporting excess energy to storage and retrieving it as needed. The presented analysis provides guidance for choosing between the installation of excess capacity or the deployment of energy storage to guarantee reliable energy services under the assumption that the energy system is powered exclusively by renewable energy sources. This paper examines the seasonal and inter-annual variability of hydropower and biofuel resources to estimate their potential to mitigate the intermittencies of solar and wind resources. The presented analyses are meant to provide crude, bulk part estimates and are not intended for planning or operational purposes of the actual energy infrastructures. The primary focus of this paper is the Northeast region of the United States using the conterminous United States as a reference to assess the viability of reducing the energy storage need in the study region via improved connectivity to the national grid. This paper builds on the modeling exercises carried out as part of the climate-induced extremes on food, energy, water systems studies.
Discussion:

Climate Etc. | Net-Zero Targets: Sustainable Future or CO2 Obsession Driven Dead-end?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Early steps in hydrogen ecosystem for Netherlands and Germany on show during visit from King Willem-Alexander
Hydrogen from renewable sources is set to play a major role for industry by replacing fossil-based energy and feedstocks. The hydrogen ecosystem that is currently under development was showcased during King Willem-Alexander's visit to duisport, Germany’s largest inland port on November 14th. There also was a demonstration of how the transportation of low-emission hydrogen is already possible.
To store (surplus) wind-solar capacity in liquid hydrogen tanks that as a gas can be transported through existing natural gas pipelines makes sense.

Looks like the future will be a mix of everything. That we can't do without the nuclear power source is slowly landing here in NL.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:10 pm Early steps in hydrogen ecosystem for Netherlands and Germany on show during visit from King Willem-Alexander
Hydrogen from renewable sources is set to play a major role for industry by replacing fossil-based energy and feedstocks. The hydrogen ecosystem that is currently under development was showcased during King Willem-Alexander's visit to duisport, Germany’s largest inland port on November 14th. There also was a demonstration of how the transportation of low-emission hydrogen is already possible.
To store (surplus) wind-solar capacity in liquid hydrogen tanks that as a gas can be transported through existing natural gas pipelines makes sense.

Looks like the future will be a mix of everything. That we can't do without the nuclear power source is slowly landing here in NL.
The devil as always is in the details.

6 Things to Remember about Hydrogen vs Natural Gas
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Every once in a while I take a look at the Clive Best's blog:

https://clivebest.com/blog/

He posts a lot of interesting stuff relating to climate history, climate change, and energy.

For example, just about my favourite all-in-one graph of Earth's climate history over the 800,000 years comes from his site:

Best also has an account at X:

https://twitter.com/clivehbest

In a recent post he notes that:
No Wind and no Sun on the coldest day of the year so far. Essentially Gas and Nuclear are powering Britain. Days like today show that Wind energy is an expensive folly. Germany too has no wind. It is powered mostly by Coal.