Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Climate and the Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Typhoon »

Phys Rev Lett | How Correlated Weather Fluctuations Take Down Power Grids
Line failures can emerge and propagate in power grids because of varying power injections such as those from wind and solar plants.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

here's a solution, we just clone all the life on Earth down to about 1/10 of it's normal size.

Boom! 10 times more resources for all life on Earth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... times.html
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Climte Etc. | The perils of ‘near-tabloid science’
From one point of view, scientific communities without adequate data have a distinct advantage: one can construct interesting and exciting stories and rationalizations with little or no risk of observational refutation. Colorful, sometimes charismatic, characters come to dominate the field, constructing their interpretations of a few intriguing, but indefinite observations that appeal to their followers, and which eventually emerge as “textbook truths.”
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Meanwhile, still no answers as to these increasingly frequent phenomenon:

https://www.axios.com/european-heat-wav ... 7182e.html
The global picture: The latest heat wave comes in the wake of the hottest-ever day on the Korean Peninsula, hottest July in Finland, the hottest-ever month at any location in the U.S.

Some of the many other heat records that have fallen in the past few months include:

Several locations had their warmest all-time month in July, including the normally temperate Caribou, Maine. It was a top 5 warmest July in almost every observing station in the West, where deadly wildfires are burning.
In Europe: Unprecedented heat led to a rare wildfire outbreak in Scandinavia, and record highs have been set all the way above the Arctic Circle. According to the U.N., Sodankyla, Finland hit 89.2°F, or 31.8°C, on July 17, which was an all-time record for that location.
In the Middle East: Quriyat, Oman, likely set the world’s hottest low temperature ever recorded on June 28, when the temperature failed to drop below 109°F, or 42.8°C.
The ties between heat waves and climate change are robust, with climate scientists already tying the Scandinavian and U.K. heat waves to climate change.

Michael Wehner, a climate researcher at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, called 2018 "an unusual year."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/asia/sou ... index.html
As many as 29 people have died due to heatstroke in South Korea, according to the South Korean Ministry of Health, Welfare and Disease Control.
The country is undergoing an extended heatwave, with at least 15 days of temperatures over 35˚C (95˚F) recorded, the Korean Meteorological Administration (KMA) reported. The agency added that Wednesday was the hottest day in Seoul in 111 years, with a temperature of 39.6˚C.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... dm/091000c
Japan logged its highest-ever temperature of 41.1 C in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture, near Tokyo, on Monday last week amid the prolonged heat.
This has hit hard into the Colonel's homeland. Very hard. Let us pray that he is currently alive and well.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote: . . .

Japan logged its highest-ever temperature of 41.1 C in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture, near Tokyo, on Monday last week amid the prolonged heat.
This has hit hard into the Colonel's adopted homeland. Very hard. Let us pray that he is currently alive and well.
Thanks for the left handed prayers.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

This has hit hard into the Colonel's adopted homeland. Very hard. Let us pray that he is currently alive and well.
I'm more concerned about the End Times indicator of Global Warm-Ongers saying prayers for scientists. Sounds like a belief system in which the angry gods punish the heretics.

The smoke from burnt offerings should theoretically block some of the incoming solar radiation...... an I got science to prove it!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:

Summers in Japan are always bloody hot and humid.

The obvious answer is that one season is not evidence for man-made global warming despite the MSM propagating activist alarmism without question.
Any given summer, some place, some where, will be setting a temperature record due to natural variation in weather patterns.
Some summers it will be more locations, some summers it will be less.

What summer does cause is climate change hysteria
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ammianus wrote:Meanwhile, still no answers as to these increasingly frequent phenomenon:
Yes, there is an answer. It's called "nature".
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Ammianus wrote:Meanwhile, still no answers as to these increasingly frequent phenomenon:
Contrary to claims, the frequency of such events has not increased.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Blame the British Columbia [Canada] Liberal [Party] Neglect, Not Climate Change, for Year of Fires
Despite warnings, government failed to invest in measures to reduce wildfire risk.
Same applies to forest fires elsewhere.

Forest fires are part of the cycle of nature.
Historically, strict fire suppression has lead to an unnatural build up of biomass, so when forest fires now do occur, they have the fuel to become large.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

MIT Tech Review | The $2.5 trillion reason we can’t rely on batteries to clean up the grid
Fluctuating solar and wind power require lots of energy storage, and lithium-ion batteries seem like the obvious choice—but they are far too expensive to play a major role.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:Blame the British Columbia [Canada] Liberal [Party] Neglect, Not Climate Change, for Year of Fires
Despite warnings, government failed to invest in measures to reduce wildfire risk.
Same applies to forest fires elsewhere.

Forest fires are part of the cycle of nature.
Historically, strict fire suppression has lead to an unnatural build up of biomass, so when forest fires now do occur, they have the fuel to become large.
indeed.

australia worked this stuff out decades ago - its only the hippy areas which refuse to backburn that get crown fires.

IRC, its about a foot of litter at the bottom thats required to ignite the canopy and once that happens it explodes from tree to tree as the organic's evaporate and create gas clouds.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Was Smokey Bear wrong? How a beloved character may have helped fuel catastrophic fires.

Let's deal with a couple of misconceptions:
First off, let’s ditch “the.” It’s officially “Smokey Bear.” The definite article only got shoehorned in there in 1952, when his fame was snowballing and a pair of songwriters penned Smokey his own anthem. They jammed “the” into his name for the song’s rhythm.

Second: Know he only got his job because Bambi was contractually unavailable. Had Walt Disney been a little more open about loaning out his prancing cartoon deer for government work, Americans may have never heard of Smokey Bear or his famous catchphrase: “Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires.”
Now let's look at the implications.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 186a20df7b

https://www.npr.org/2012/08/23/15937369 ... -wildfires

ROm8r2tWjSg
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol they blamed the populace at the end.

Just more liberal stupid $#@!t.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:
ROm8r2tWjSg
I would have preferred Bigfoot as the symbol.

A bear walking on two legs wearing jeans, a hat, and carrying a shovel....... C'mon. :roll:
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The official Japan Meteorological Agency says otherwise:

https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/statu ... 9686640640

One of the key acid tests being put forth by both sides of the debate 10 to 15 years ago asked whether more extreme and frequent summer heatwaves will occur under global climate change. The deniers crowed back then it will never happen, the supporters claim it will. 10 to 15 years later in 2018, the overall trend of more frequent and more powerful heatwaves afflicting the Northern Hemisphere has been clear.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The official Japan Meteorological Agency says otherwise:

https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/statu ... 9686640640
Nonsense.

Mainichi |Typhoons rapidly developing this year due to higher sea temperatures, irregular winds

The JMA did not make any claim of a trend of increasing typhoon frequency and/or connection with so-called climate change.

The wholly obscure "Shingetsu News Network" is simply innumerate. This it has in common with other activists.

JMA Typhoon Data:

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/jma-eng/jma-ce ... ology.html

We can plot it.

The is no trend in typhoon frequency. Zenzen. Zip. Zero. Bupkes. Nada.
One of the key acid tests being put forth by both sides of the debate 10 to 15 years ago asked whether more extreme and frequent summer heatwaves will occur under global climate change. The deniers crowed back then it will never happen, the supporters claim it will. 10 to 15 years later in 2018, the overall trend of more frequent and more powerful heatwaves afflicting the Northern Hemisphere has been clear.
Yet another load of sweaty malodourous activist bollocks.

Summer causes climate change hysteria
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Record breaking typhoons yet again in Japan, now a great earthquake in the far north of Hokkaido. Truly fulfilling the native Japanese expression of the Island of Catastrophes.

Let us pray (with both hands) the Colonel continues to prosper and be well, hopefully in the full safety of the Kanto region
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You have a weird preoccupation with Colonel Sun.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:Record breaking typhoons yet again in Japan, now a great earthquake in the far north of Hokkaido. Truly fulfilling the native Japanese expression of the Island of Catastrophes.
Typhoons are an annual occurrence. Earthquakes are unpredictable.

Yet Japan has not only survived but thrived.
Ammianus wrote: Let us pray (with both hands) the Colonel continues to prosper and be well, hopefully in the full safety of the Kanto region
Wrong region.

Prayers have no effect on natural phenomena.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:You have a weird preoccupation with Colonel Sun.
All too typical.

Confronted with evidence and analyses at odds with their beliefs, activists and their followers invariably stoop to the petty and the personal.

The faux expressions of concern are rather poor form considering there was loss of life due to these recent events.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:You have a weird preoccupation with Colonel Sun.
All too typical.

Not being able to debate the evidence and analyses, activists and their followers invariably stoop to the petty and the personal.

The faux expressions of concern are rather poor form considering there was loss of life due to these recent events.
Welcome back Colonel Sun. Still waiting for LzzrdGrrl........ :)