Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I think the worry is about hot particles working their way through the food chain, not radiation poisioning.
People have been busy regarding this issue.

https://scholar.google.jp/scholar?as_yl ... as_sdt=1,5
I never see any intelligent analysis or commentary on this. It's either ENEnews craziness or TEPCO's denialist apologetics,
Indeed.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:and non-professionals can't put all these research papers into a comprehensible summary.

There are several books out on Fukushima. Which do you recommend?
I'm sorry, but I really have no idea.

I've been reviewing the research literature once a year to see what developments, if any, are new.
Although I won't be doing so as frequently in the future, unless TEPCO manages to somehow fubar the cleanup.

As it was clear to me, early on, that the risk to the Japanese population is negligible, I haven't spent any more time on the topic
with the exception of when I come across an ENEnews type post that I find particularly irksome.

To sum up, whatever gets me or you in the end, it certainly won't have anything to do with Fukushima.
Even despite TEPCO's best efforts.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

NYT : The chances for real security in Asia depends
what the Japanese leader says about events of 70 years ago.

Shinzo Abe and Japan’s History

The visit by Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, to the United States next week is important on several levels. He will be the first Japanese leader to address a joint meeting of Congress. He and President Obama are expected to announce progress on a key issue, increased defense cooperation, and possibly on a second, trade. They will also discuss a third challenge, China’s growing influence in Asia.

The context is also important: This year is the 70th anniversary of Japan’s defeat in World War II, and to some extent the visit is intended as a celebration of the country’s remarkable postwar resurrection and its robust alliance with an old enemy, which has become a foundation of regional stability.

But the success of the visit also depends on whether and how honestly Mr. Abe confronts Japan’s wartime history, including its decision to wage war, its brutal occupation of China and Korea, its atrocities and its enslavement of thousands of women forced to work as sex slaves or “comfort women” in wartime brothels.

By now, that history should have been settled. That it is not settled is largely the fault of Mr. Abe and his right-wing political allies who keep questioning history and even trying to rewrite it, stoking regional tensions. Mr. Abe may have more to say on all this on Aug. 15, the actual date of the surrender. But his remarks to Congress will send an important signal.

Mr. Abe’s nationalist views and pressure from competing political forces have affected his judgment on these delicate issues. He has publicly expressed remorse for the war and said he will honor Japan’s past apologies for its aggression, including the sex slavery. Yet he has added vague qualifiers to his comments, creating suspicions that he doesn’t take the apologies seriously and will try to water them down.

His government has compounded the problem by trying to whitewash that history.

Many Japanese right-wingers believe their country was wrongly maligned by America and its allies after the war. Mr. Abe has given the impression that he believes Japan has already done enough to make amends for its militarism and atrocities. He says he prefers to get on with more firmly establishing his country as a 21st-century leader that can help the United States counter China in Asia and take on other global responsibilities.

Heracleum Persicum

Enough with WWII apologies

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has implied Tokyo is not going to reiterate an apology for WWII aggression and war crimes in a special statement marking the 70th anniversary of the end of the war in the Pacific to be issued later this year.

Speaking to Fuji TV on Monday night, Abe mentioned there will be no more apologies to the victims of Japanese aggression during the WWII, as apologies made in the past have already made the point.

On 50th and 60th anniversaries of Japan’s defeat in August 1945, Abe’s predecessors issued apologies for conduct during the WWII.

“I uphold the basic thinking behind past war apologies, which means there isn’t a need to reiterate them,” Japanese PM said in an interview, describing nation’s self-reflection over war-time atrocities as “masochism.”

Abe also speculated as to whether “invasion” is the correct term to describe Japan’s occupation of the Korean Peninsula and parts of continental China.

It is highly possible that Abe’s latest remarks are going to confirm suspicions by Japan’s neighbors that Tokyo is seeking to downplay its wartime deeds, among which was turning thousands of Asian women into ‘comfort women’, de facto sex slaves in Japanese military brothels.

Abe’s visit to Yasukuni war shrine in Tokyo in December 2013 sparked fierce protests from China and South Korea, the countries Japan occupied until the defeat in 1945. Resentment of Japan’s neighbors is understandable: among the 2.4 million war dead honored at Yasukuni are internationally-recognized war criminals who committed atrocities on the occupied territories.

This year PM Abe has opted to refrain from visiting Yasukuni. Instead of personally attending shrine’s spring festival this week he sent to Yasukuni a symbolic offering.

Abe’s self-restraint could be explained by participation in the upcoming Asia-Africa conference in Jakarta on Wednesday, where he is expected to hold talks with Chinese leader Xi Jinping and South Korean PM Park Geun-hye.

After over half a century of exemplary peaceful policies, Abe’s conservative government is moving away from the pacifist stance fixed in Japan’s post-WWII constitution.

In 2014, Abe’s cabinet reversed a post-war constitutional ban on military operations abroad. The law enacted in 1954 has considerably limited soldiers’ scope abroad, as the lessons of 1930s-1940s are still fresh in the memory, when the country was dragged into conflict with China and the Pacific War that followed.

In January this year, Japan’s government approved nation’s largest military budget in 70 years, in contravention of the pacifist constitution. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's cabinet gave the green light to an unprecedented nearly 5 trillion yen ($42 billion) defense budget, which came into force in April.

In February, the Japanese government announced revision of the existing law prioritizing civilian control over national self-defense forces (SDF). The initiative of the further erosion the post-WWII legislature in Japan allegedly comes from SDF personnel, both acting and former officers currently occupying lawmaking positions.

Ambitions of the PM Shinzo Abe’s government are not limited to full-scale revival of Japan’s armed forces. In March it was reported that Tokyo is considering the introduction of an overseas intelligence network possibly modeled on Britain's MI6 spy agency, the first of its kind since World War II,

In a sense, reflecting on TODAY, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has a valid point

Today, bulldozing other people's homes, dropping white Phosphore on school children, carpet bombing Cambodia, Abu Gharib, Agent Orange, considering worth murdering 1 million Iraqi children and all things of that sort, mainstream .. helping and supporting those doing "beheading" live on TV on excuse bringing democracy daily event, sort of TV attraction.

In that world, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is right sayin "Enough with WWII apologies"

Comfort Woman ? ? .. :lol: :lol: .. what about Orgies going on in American Embassy in Kabul Afghanistan (brining plane load of hookers) and all the other good and fun stuff ? ?

Come on,

Poor Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Japan the cleanest so far since last 60 yrs.

Heracleum Persicum

Data shows that just over a million new births recorded last year

The estimated number of Japanese newborns fell to just 1.001 million in 2014 compared with 1.269 million registered deaths, the lowest birth-rate ever recorded and one that exacerbates the East Asian nation’s ongoing struggles with an aging and shrinking population.

“The number of reproductive-age women is on the decline,” an official at Japan’s health, labour and welfare ministry told Kyodo News, leading to a subsequent drop in the number of children, AFP reports.

The government has warned that by 2060, nearly 40% of the population will be aged 65 or over. Data released last April shows it is already difficult for the East Asian nation of to support the elderly and pensioners who currently make up 25% of its population.

And Shinzo Abe wants on the path of confrontation with China ?

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

And Shinzo Abe wants on the path of confrontation with China ?

Seems the next generation of war fighters are going to be Robots. So who is the best in the world at making robots again?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Some Japanese care about their independence

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

All your base are belong to US.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

ペルシアの歌

D_cetQ5wOYs

Arigato Gozaimasu

Endovelico

The New Nishinoshima Volcanic Island

Post by Endovelico »

When will the Japanese government allow the US to install there a brand new air base?... :D
Heracleum Persicum

Heracleum Persicum

Abe’s refusal to engage his neighbors in the same way his predecessors did hinges on his belief that the Japanese occupation was not an “invasion” per se; he similarly thinks there is no evidence that the tens of thousands of women working in brothels did not do so of their own free will – a stance shared by Japan’s right-leaning politicians and criticized in an open letter in May, signed by 187 historians.

. . relations with South Korea are believed to be at an all-time low, with mutual animosity so widespread that four in 10 Koreans believe the two will go to war in the next decade.

:lol: :lol: .. that's what our CS also sayin

Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Japan's Prime Minister Is Decadent and Depraved
Lisa Marie White Fri, Jun 12 | 3,788 33
http://russia-insider.com/en/japans-pri ... ved/ri7960

Since the United States and its pals in the Justice League G-7 have decided to double-down on standing up to “Russian aggression,” I felt it was incumbent upon Russia Insider to pay tribute to one of the virtuous attendees of the Germany forum: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Now, I am not suggesting that Shinzo Abe is a bad person. I don’t want anyone reading this to get the impression that he denies Japan’s WWII-era war crimes, or that he is presiding over an increase in nationalist fervor in Japan, or that he is embroiled in nasty territorial disputes with neighboring South Korea and China, or that, following the Fukushima disaster, Japan banned the sale of foreign-made Geiger counters.

I’m just kidding. He’s done all of those things.

“Comfort Women”

In 1910, Japan invaded the Korean peninsula, beginning 35 years of brutal colonial rule. Out to prove to the West that it was civilized, modern, and part of the Imperial Club, Japan’s empire employed European-style colonization models, including ethnic segregation and forced assimilation. Between 1868 and 1945, Japan conquered and occupied territories in Asia, including Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, China, and Taiwan. Feeling slighted by the major European players at the end of WWI, in the years leading up to WWII, Japan decided to press its luck with the Axis powers, and formed an alliance with Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Germany and Italy’s Mussolini-led fascist government.

Their subsequent wartime atrocities are infamous. Nanking. Bataan. During World War II, it is estimated that tens of thousands of women and girls in Japan’s colonial holdings, as well as throughout the Asia Pacific, were forced, kidnapped, or manipulated into becoming “comfort women” for Japanese soldiers. While initially some of the comfort women were taken from brothels, Abe, showing his sensitive nature, has refused to apologize to surviving comfort women, claiming that they were all prostitutes or “willing volunteers.” Many of the “comfort women” became pregnant. They were also starved, beaten, and killed by Japanese soldiers.

As the LA Times reported:

This is what most historians believe. But not in Japan, where a large faction of conservatives, led by Abe, denies that the Japanese military forced women into sexual slavery. They maintain that any suggestion to the contrary is simply anti-Japanese propaganda and probably spread by China. At the furthest end of the spectrum, the minimizing turns to flat-out denial; one professor we interviewed at a top Japanese university adamantly insisted there were no killings or rapes in Nanking.

Not only is Abe’s government denying that there were atrocities at Nanking – where an estimated 200,000 were killed and 20,000 women raped – but there is also a concerted effort by Japan to change world textbooks to reflect a rosier view of Japan’s empire and wartime brutality. In fact, the new textbook version of events is apparently so out of touch with reality that McGraw-Hill, a major American textbook publisher, has refused to print them. Despite protests from the Asian community, during his speech to Congress earlier this year, Abe only apologized for the Americans who lost their lives to Japanese forces during the war.

The White House has placed no pressure on Abe to acknowledge war crimes. When Abe visited the controversial Yasukuni Shrine in December of 2013, against the requests made by the Obama administration, the White House expressed their “disappointment.” Yes, Obama was “disappointed” that Abe visited a shrine which commemorates Class A war criminals. The Yasukuni Shrine is a memorial to the Japanese war dead, but among the over 2 million souls memorialized there, a little over 1,000 are convicted war criminals. Japanese officials’ visits there have caused consternation among Japan’s neighboring countries. Imagine if Putin had left flowers at Stalin’s grave.

The United States claims to be a great friend to and protector of South Korea, but what is North Korea’s neighbor to think when one of the U.S.’s “junior partners” denies any mistreatment of Korean women and doesn’t condemn Abe? What could be the reason that the G7 – supposedly the last line of defense against the dastardly designs of the history revisionists of Russia – would include someone like Shinzo Abe in their exclusive little club? Could it be this fancy “pivot to Asia” strategy that’s been talked up so much? Maybe the Guardian can help us out:

Japan and other allies are crucial to the success of this US strategy, both by enhancing the country’s military presence in Asia Pacific, and by increasing burden sharing of the costs of a US-led security order in the region.

Yes, it all makes sense now. With this less than stellar record, the Japanese Prime Minister is photographed palling around with the morally upright leaders of the G-7. Fancy that. Pivot to Asia? More like Pivot to Pieces of Human Detritus.

Territorial Disputes: The Case of Dokdo Islands

Amid the increasingly politicized arena of international sporting events, you may have noticed when, during the 2012 London Summer Olympics, a Korean soccer player found himself in a spot of bother over a sign he held up following Korea’s victory over Japan. After South Korea was awarded the bronze medal in soccer, midfielder Park Jong-Woo displayed a sign stating that the Dokdo Islands belonged to South Korea. This caused outrage among the Japanese fans and players, and led Park to be temporarily stripped of his medal. (Park later won it back during an appeals process – a medal being necessary for him in South Korea, where all males must be drafted into the army with few exceptions, possessing an Olympic medal being one of them.)

Officially, Korea currently has jurisdiction over the island group. Also known as the Liancourt or Takeshima Rocks, they are a group of basically…rocks…located in the Sea of Japan. Japan claims to ownership of the rocks going back to the 17th century, and both countries cite historic documentation to support their claims. Japan annexed the islands in 1905, ahead of their1910 invasion of the Korean peninsula, and used them as a springboard to launch their war against Russia, but the the territory was given back to South Korea after WWII. However, the Japanese government has been pressing the issue.

The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website states the following:

Takeshima is indisputably an inherent part of the territory of Japan, in light of historical facts and based on international law.

The Republic of Korea has been occupying Takeshima with no basis in international law. Any measures the Republic of Korea takes regarding Takeshima based on such an illegal occupation have no legal justification.

Japan will continue to seek the settlement of the dispute of the territorial sovereignty over Takeshima on the basis of international law in a calm and peaceful manner.

Note: The Republic of Korea has never demonstrated any clear basis for its claims that it had effective control over Takeshima prior to Japan’s effective control over Takeshima and reaffirmation of its territorial sovereignty in 1905.

Them’s fightin’ words.

Why is anyone fighting over a set of barren rocks, you ask? Well, as Jeb Bush’s brother George W. might have put it: strategery. The islands are said to be home to rich fishing grounds and supposedly contain deposits of natural gas. Then there is the obvious factor that possession of the islands extends Korea’s territorial boundaries well beyond their physical border and into the Sea of Japan. Then there is the historical significance. Today’s Koreans still smart over Japan’s cruel occupation, and losing the islands which symbolize their sovereignty would certainly strike a huge blow to their national pride.

These islands have been under dispute on and off since the end of WWII, but Japan has become more insistent in recent years that the islands be handed over. Their claim basically extends from the decision made by the United States and the Allied Powers not to include Dokdo in the list of territories Japan was required to cede after its surrender. Japan and the United States were signatories on the Treaty of San Francisco, which stripped Japan of a good portion of its empire (minus Dokdo), but the then-united Korea was not party to the treaty. South Korea’s position is that when they were liberated, all of their pre-1910 territorial possessions were returned to them. Their argument is that Japan’s claims are motivated by a wish to restore part of their lost empire.

The issue flared up from time to time in the years following the end of the war, but tensions between the two countries had been brimming leading up to the incident at the London Games. Indeed, over the last decade, Japan has been asserting its right to Dokdo, with Abe’s government going so far as to claim the territory in a defense report . Tensions have actually risen considerably since Abe first became prime minister in 2006. This, of course, cannot simply be the responsibility of one man, but Abe is pretty adamant that these islands – which haven’t been part of Japan for 70 years – are really part of Japan.

And what of the indispensable nation? What is America to do with an increasingly revanchist Japan? Why, remain neutral on their territorial claims, m’boy! The U.S. will not stand behind Korea’s claim to Dokdo, and insists on calling the islands by their neutral name – the Liancourt Rocks. Perhaps it is not terribly surprising that the U.S. supports Japan over China in the Senkaku islands debate. Because…China. But it must come as somewhat of a disappointment to South Korea that their American friends have not seen fit to recognize South Korea’s territorial integrity. By giving Japan’s territorial ambitions equal weight to those of South Korea’s, and refusing to acknowledge South Korea’s current legal claim, the USA has basically friendzoned one of its most loyal client states.

Japan’s rising nationalism and 19th century behavior have put the United States in an awkward position. Both Japan and South Korea are reliant on the U.S. militarily, and the economic powerhouses of Samsung and Hyundai/KIA do billions of dollars’ worth of business in the United States every year. The U.S. military is present in South Korea ostensibly to “protect” it from its northern neighbor, but people without the rose-colored spectacles know the real reasons are 1) China 2) China and 3 ) Additionally, it is Japan, not South Korea, that is the lynch pin of America’s Pivot to Asia strategy. Geostrategically and militarily, America hopes to rely mostly on Japan to help “contain” China. South Korea finds Japan’s resurgent militarism and nationalism to be threatening and problematic. The United States continues to look the other way.

North Korea, by the way, recognizes South Korea’s right to retain Dokdo.

Fukushima

The Fukushima nuclear reactor meltdown receives very little, if any, coverage in the Western press.

Nevertheless, Washington’s Blog has reported on Abe’s government enacting widespread censorship over the Fukushima disaster. Japan also banned the sale of foreign-made Geiger counters, claiming that they are “inaccurate.” There are also concerns that the disaster will not be cleaned up by Japan’s 2020 Olympics, but the U.S. has not raised any flags about concerns for public safety, let alone called for their cancellation. At a UN disaster conference in March of this year, Abe remained reticent to speak about nuclear contamination in Japan. Even Bloomberg has expressed its concern over contaminated water leaking into the ocean. There are even accusations that Abe lied about Fukushima in order to get the Olympics to Tokyo.

Despite the lack of coverage in the West, Greenpeace, Global Policy Research, and Washington’s Blog have written extensively about the Fukushima disaster. Fukushima Diary, a blog devoted to informing the public about the disaster, posts regular updates.

This article is not meant to be a condemnation of the Japanese people, their heritage, or their culture. However, it must be acknowledged that their prime minister is a problematic figure, one who engages in media censorship, historical revisionism, and openly expresses desires to return lost imperial holdings. Has not the American leadership accused Vladimir Putin of all of these things? Yet, Shinzo Abe was seated at the G-7 with the other supposed upholders of freedom and democracy. Perhaps he has stumbled into a good position and wishes to remain on America’s good side, and therefore must take a “firm stance” against Russia. Perhaps he cannot really be blamed for looking out for his country’s bests interests. He might one day make a wrong move, and all of his past mistakes might be dredged up by the New York Times. Who knows – with fair-weather friends like America, Britain, and Germany, Japan might, like Russia, find itself yet once more at the top of the West’s fecal roster.

Here’s a reading comprehension quiz…

This man refuses to apologize for Japanese soldiers forcing women and underage girls into sex slavery:

Special snowflake.

This man has publicly honored Stalin’s victims.

Probably Hitler.

Which one of these men is an inhuman monster? Did you answer Vladimir Putin? Correct. You have just been accepted to the Anne Applebaum School of Charm and Deportment.
Another nasty piece of Russian propaganda... :twisted:
Heracleum Persicum

Thanx, Endo, thanx

:lol: :lol: :lol: .. colonel playing submarine .. submerged

What a disaster .. what a disaster

noddy

Post by noddy »

i love the focus on ww2 and earlier and the arbitary selection of the events to judge.

how bout we focus on post ww2, and add up how many wars and conflicts the 2 countries have created.

russia, dozens.

japan, nil.

seems like Another nasty piece of Russian propaganda to me - japan has great relationships with the countries it went to war with, russia, not so much.
ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

noddy wrote:...Japan has great relationships with the countries it went to war with...
Yes... Japan has a great relationship with South Korea..., not to mention China... ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

come on endo, is that the best you can come up with :)

china doesnt particularly get along with any of its neighbours, barring north korea and burma.

south korea is an odd place, hard to get a proper reading on and once we look beyond those two and onto the rest of the ww2 places, its all smiles - america, australia, the south pacific, all good.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Abe’s refusal to engage his neighbors in the same way his predecessors did hinges on his belief that the Japanese occupation was not an “invasion” per se; he similarly thinks there is no evidence that the tens of thousands of women working in brothels did not do so of their own free will – a stance shared by Japan’s right-leaning politicians and criticized in an open letter in May, signed by 187 historians.

. . relations with South Korea are believed to be at an all-time low, with mutual animosity so widespread that four in 10 Koreans believe the two will go to war in the next decade.

:lol: :lol: .. that's what our CS also sayin

I can speak for myself, thank you.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Russia's Dictator Is Decadent and Depraved
Fixed it for you.

Reality Check: Japan compensation to S Korea

Which is why Japan finds the ongoing playing the victim by S Korea tiresome.

[ One thing that Japan did not lack for during it's annexation of Korea was Korean collaborators who actively work with and supported the J-government.

Many of them went on to do well, founding industrial conglomerates and/or achieving prominent positions in S Korean politics. ]
Endovelico wrote:Another nasty piece of Russian propaganda... :twisted:
Quite right.

Btw, actually bothering to learn a bit of history helps to avoid being constantly taken in by propaganda.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Having been colonized by Japan was the greatest deal ever for Korea!... Those ungrateful Koreans! They should be ashamed of themselves!... :D
During the post-World War II period, Zainichi Koreans faced various kinds of discrimination from Japanese society. Due to the San Francisco Peace Treaty,the Japanese government created laws to support Japanese citizens by giving financial support, providing shelters, etc. However, after the treaty was signed, Zainichi Koreans were no longer counted as Japanese citizens, so they were unable to get any support from the government. They were unable to get an insurance certificate from the government, so it was difficult for them to get any medical care. Without medical insurance, Zainichi Koreans were unable to go to hospital since the cost of medication was too high. Another problem caused by this treaty was that the Japanese government created a law which stated that Korean residents in Japan had to be fingerprinted since Zainichi Koreans had two names (their original name and a name given by the Japanese government). Under this law, Zainichi Koreans had to reveal their identity to the public because when they visited the city hall to provide their fingerprints, their neighbors found out that they were Zainichi Koreans. Therefore, Zainichi Koreans were forced to reveal their identity to Japanese and faced discrimination from them directly. This made their lives even more difficult. In order to protect themselves, many Zainichi Koreans protested against this law by holding posters and marching in a group. Mindan and many Zainichi Koreans opposed this law, but the law wasn’t repealed until 1993. So until this law was repealed, Zainichi Koreans could not escape from the social discrimination which they had faced in Japanese society. Furthermore, it was hard for the Zainichi Koreans to get a job due to discrimination. Especially, it was very hard for Zainichi Koreans to become public employees since Japan only let Japanese nationals become public employees at that time. Since many Zainichi Koreans couldn’t get a proper job, they began to get involved in illegal jobs such as “illegal alcohol production, scrap recycling, and racketeering.” (Min). As a result, many Zainichi Koreans ended up living in slums or hamlets since Japanese real estate agents refused to let Zainichi Koreans rent houses(...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreans_i ... se_society
It should be said that things have improved somewhat starting in the 90's of last century, but the idea that Koreans should be grateful to Japan is a bit far-fetched...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Your words, not mine.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Japan kamikaze survivors debunk stereotype in stories of sacrifice

By AT Editor on June 17, 2015 in Asia Times News & Features

(From AP)

By Yuri Kageyama

The pilots filed into the room and were presented with a form that asked if they wanted to be kamikaze. It was multiple-choice, and there were three answers: “I passionately wish to join,” ”I wish to join,” and “I don’t wish to join.”

This was 1945. Many were university students who had been previously exempt from service, but now Japan was running out of troops. Hisashi Tezuka recalls that a few of his colleagues quickly wrote their replies and strutted away. But he and most of the others stayed for what felt like hours, unable to decide.

He did not know then if anyone had dared to refuse. He learned later that the few who did were simply told to pick the right answer. Tezuka so wanted to be honest to his feelings he crossed out the second choice and wrote his own answer: “I will join.”

“I did not want to say I wished it. I didn’t wish it,” he told The Associated Press at his apartment in a Tokyo suburb.
Read more:

http://atimes.com/2015/06/japan-kamikaz ... sacrifice/
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Anger flares during Okinawa ceremony over US military presence
http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/06/2 ... Shinzo-Abe

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has been heckled by angry locals during a ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Okinawa.

Abe was openly jeered as he took the podium in the memorial ceremony on Tuesday as shouts of “Go home!” could be heard from angry locals, furious at the US military’s continued presence on the Okinawa subtropical islands.

The Japanese premier told the audience that his country had for decades enjoyed peace after the World War II.

“People in Okinawa have long been asked to carry a big burden for our security,” the prime minister said. “We will continue to do our best to reduce (it).”

About 5,000 people attended the memorial in Itoman, at the southern tip of Okinawa on Tuesday to mark the Battle of Okinawa.

Thousands of visitors filed past black marble monuments inscribed with the names of the victims to pray and lay flowers to commemorate the 100,000 Okinawans and 80,000 Japanese troops who died in the battle for the strategically located island chain in 1945.

The anniversary comes as Okinawans are angry over a US decision to move an airbase on the island from a crowded urban area to the coast, with many wanting it to be relocated to somewhere else altogether.

Resentment against the US in Okinawa further deepened with the rape of a schoolgirl by three US servicemen in 1995, which triggered mass rallies across Japan.

Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture is home to about 26,000 US troops.
Democracy, Japanese style: The art of ignoring the will of the people...
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

On the topic of official apologies following Japan's war in Asia, the words of current emperor Akihito appear quite clear:

1990, during visit to South Korea: "Reflecting upon the suffering that your people underwent during this unfortunate period, which was brought about by our nation, I cannot but feel the deepest remorse"

1992, during visit to China: "In the long history of the relations of these two countries, there was an unfortunate period during which our country inflicted severe suffering upon the Chinese people," "This is a deep sorrow to me. When the war ended, our people, in deep self-reproach that this kind of war should never occur again, firmly resolved to tread the road of peace."

1996, to the current South Korean president: "There was a period when our nation brought to bear great sufferings upon the people of the Korean Peninsula." "The deep sorrow that I feel over this will never be forgotten"

The Emperor is the symbol of the Japanese nation. I think his words carry more symbolic weight than those of fleeting Prime Ministers.
I was not previously aware that he had spoken that clearly.

Personally, I'm very pleased that Germany apologized for her wrongdoing during WWII. However, I should remark that nobody in France, in Poland, in Russia, not even in Israel expects Merkel to apologize again at each official visit. When it's done with the proper symbolism and clarity (except if the translation is deeply flawed,
Akihito's words were very clear), once is enough.
Heracleum Persicum

Alexis wrote:On the topic of official apologies following Japan's war in Asia, the words of current emperor Akihito appear quite clear:

1990, during visit to South Korea: "Reflecting upon the suffering that your people underwent during this unfortunate period, which was brought about by our nation, I cannot but feel the deepest remorse"

1992, during visit to China: "In the long history of the relations of these two countries, there was an unfortunate period during which our country inflicted severe suffering upon the Chinese people," "This is a deep sorrow to me. When the war ended, our people, in deep self-reproach that this kind of war should never occur again, firmly resolved to tread the road of peace."

1996, to the current South Korean president: "There was a period when our nation brought to bear great sufferings upon the people of the Korean Peninsula." "The deep sorrow that I feel over this will never be forgotten"

The Emperor is the symbol of the Japanese nation. I think his words carry more symbolic weight than those of fleeting Prime Ministers.
I was not previously aware that he had spoken that clearly.

Personally, I'm very pleased that Germany apologized for her wrongdoing during WWII. However, I should remark that nobody in France, in Poland, in Russia, not even in Israel expects Merkel to apologize again at each official visit. When it's done with the proper symbolism and clarity (except if the translation is deeply flawed,
Akihito's words were very clear), once is enough.

Has France apologized for Algerian episode ? ?

Why not ?
French Stamp.jpg
French Stamp.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.