Japan

Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... s-show-why?

One in four surveyed Japanese workers admits to wanting to kill boss

seems low to me - im sure i can find companies over here with better stats.
In Japan there is a list of "black corporations" published annually; what in the West would be called sweatshops applied to white collar work rather than manufacturing.

As for the earthquake, it was fortunately about 6 times less powerful than the Great Hanshin earthquake.

Kansai learned from that disaster, so the loss of life was mercifully small.

A friend of mine lives live above the 30th floor of the tallest condominiums in Osaka. He said that the swaying was minimal due to the base isolation system.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

apparently its quite wet in some parts of Japan at the moment.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A bit.

hJ2nFqHZ0Lg
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Japan's most accomplished Gaijin now on the line for involuntary seppuku it seems:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201811190046.html
Photo/Illustraion
Tokyo prosecutors were questioning Carlos Ghosn, chairman of Nissan Motor Co., on Nov. 19 over suspected under-reporting of his corporate salary by several hundreds of millions of yen, sources said.

Investigators with the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office were looking at possible violations of the Financial Instruments and Exchange Law that relate to false entries on corporate financial statements.

Prosecutors were prepared to arrest Ghosn, 64, after further questioning, the sources said.

Nissan Motor announced later on Nov. 19 that it would take immediate action to remove Ghosn as company chairman and representative board member.

Ghosn was sent from France’s Renault SA to take over as chief operating officer of Nissan in 1999. He became Nissan president the following year, and was involved in rebuilding the automaker as both president and CEO from June 2001.

He concurrently became president of Renault in 2005 and led the move to partner with Mitsubishi Motors Corp. in 2016 after that automaker was found to have falsified fuel-efficiency data.

Ghosn became chairman of Mitsubishi Motors in December 2016.
Poor Ghosn-san has become negligent in his old age. Now he will join his compatriots from Olympus 7 years ago in spilling his intestines for all to see.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

https://twitter.com/WBJPPP/status/1064468748797542400

Apparently conspiracy theory passing among the Japanese that the tax dodging/embezzlement issue is a sham. Real meat and guts was Ghosn-san attempting to pass % stake of Nissan to the actual French govt, via Renault since its partially own by France. Having discovered this affront, Ghosn-san's Japanese counterparts in his company rallied with the banzai spirit and called in samurai from the shogunate to imprison him.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Olympus fraud only came to light because of the investigations of the then foreign CEO, Michael Woodford, who was subsequently removed and given the bum's rush.

Conspiracy theories aside, if one compares the treatment of Nissan's Ghosn to, say, the treatment of the executives of Toshiba [massive accounting scandal] and Takeda [coverup regarding exploding airbags], then something does smell rotten.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nippon | Gun Crimes in Japan Remain Rare
In 2017, just three people were killed in shooting incidents in Japan.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Everyone can stop holding their breath, the name of the new era in Japan has been announced.

令和時代 | Reiwa Era

"Harmonious Peace".

Hmmm. Sir Humphrey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO, MA (Oxon) would approve.
noddy

Post by noddy »

sounds like a pleasant change from the Chaotic Peace the rest of us experience :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Sounds like a good kind of climate change is occurring in Japan.

I would have went with the era of Continual Orgasm. :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Colonel Sun wrote:Everyone can stop holding their breath, the name of the new era in Japan has been announced.

令和時代 | Reiwa Era

"Harmonious Peace".

I was getting worried that it would be "We'll Just Wing It!" :lol:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Colonel Sun wrote:Everyone can stop holding their breath, the name of the new era in Japan has been announced.

令和時代 | Reiwa Era

"Harmonious Peace".

I was getting worried that it would be "We'll Just Wing It!" :lol:
If someone has been able to interrupt the news feed, pull a Max Headroom, and announce "We'll Just Wing It", then that would have been the prank of the century.
Alexis

令和元旦 おめでとうございます

Post by Alexis »

Thank you, Colonel, very instructive.

Wishing you and all of Japan best - if belated - wishes on the occasion of emperor Naruhito's accession to throne. :)

Incidentally, this got me thinking that since new heir to the kings of France is from this year Jean d'Orléans ("Jean IV") following the passing of his father "Henri VII", we could also choose a new era name... But then, I could not imagine a proper one.

Which may not be so surprising since after all I'm a single man, not a full commission of Sir Humphrey Applebys :D !
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: 令和元旦 おめでとうございます

Alexis wrote:

Wishing you and all of Japan best - if belated - wishes on the occasion of emperor Naruhito's accession to throne. :)

Seconded
Typhoon

Re: 令和元旦 おめでとうございます

Post by Typhoon »

Alexis wrote:

Incidentally, this got me thinking that since new heir to the kings of France is from this year Jean d'Orléans ("Jean IV") following the passing of his father "Henri VII", we could also choose a new era name... But then, I could not imagine a proper one.

Which may not be so surprising since after all I'm a single man, not a full commission of Sir Humphrey Applebys :D !
Thank you, both.

I suspect the new era will be one of considerable challenges, harmony and order may prove to be elusive.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Is this really just national pride/nostalgia? Generational wealth? Emperors seem so medieval I wonder how relevant they are.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Is this really just national pride/nostalgia? Generational wealth? Emperors seem so medieval I wonder how relevant they are.
Quite. One does wonder why the Yanks, as citizens of a republic, go gaga over the British monarchy.

Every culture has its set of beliefs and myths. For Japan, the Imperial Family represents a sense of continuity and identity.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Is this really just national pride/nostalgia? Generational wealth? Emperors seem so medieval I wonder how relevant they are.
Quite. One does wonder why the Yanks, as citizens of a republic, go gaga over the British monarchy.

Every culture has its set of beliefs and myths. For Japan, the Imperial Family represents a sense of continuity and identity.
Yanks love the British Monarchy because we are removed from it. We read Perrault, and imagine ourselves to be the good, gracious and beneficent king. Not a bad daydream when your government and society is at the pinnacle of greed and corruption.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

G-GQRYA_yMw
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Aizuchi sounds much like Carl Rogers' active listening in practice, but the metaphor/theory is different. Rogers' vague responses are meant to show the speaker does not offend the listener and encourage him to continue knowing his speech is appreciated. Rogers listener also restates the speaker's thoughts in their own words occasionally to show he is truly listening.

This is where the stereotype of the therapist who says nothing but, "Uh-huh" all hour comes from.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:G-GQRYA_yMw
It is not "interruption", actual interruption would be considered very rude.
Rather, the stock phrases, such as "hai", are interjections that along with body gestures such as nodding are a way of confirming/acknowledging that one is listening to the speaker.
The nodding bit confuses some who are not familiar with it, as they may mistakenly assume that the listener is agreeing with them.

Although, if the narrator addressed me in the pitch, timbre, and manner used in the video,
I'd be tempted to "interrupt", by taking his bokken - wooden kendo sword

and turning him into a yakitori:

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Aizuchi sounds much like Carl Rogers' active listening in practice, but the metaphor/theory is different. Rogers' vague responses are meant to show the speaker does not offend the listener and encourage him to continue knowing his speech is appreciated. Rogers listener also restates the speaker's thoughts in their own words occasionally to show he is truly listening.

This is where the stereotype of the therapist who says nothing but, "Uh-huh" all hour comes from.
uh-huh.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Colonel Sun wrote:Although, if the narrator addressed me in the pitch, timbre, and manner used in the video,
I'd be tempted to "interrupt", by taking his bokken - wooden kendo sword

and turning him into a yakitori:

:lol:

That guy's manner of speaking gets on my nerves too.

...and now I could really go for some yakitori.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Aizuchi sounds much like Carl Rogers' active listening in practice, but the metaphor/theory is different. Rogers' vague responses are meant to show the speaker does not offend the listener and encourage him to continue knowing his speech is appreciated. Rogers listener also restates the speaker's thoughts in their own words occasionally to show he is truly listening.

uh-huh.
The first time in the Midwest I went food shopping at Jewel/Osco, after paying for my items, receiving my change and receipt from the cashier,
I said "Thank you" and she replied with "Uh-huh" which caused some linguistic confusion on my part as I has been taught to expect "You're welcome" as a reply.
So I asked "Okay?" and the cashier gave me a odd look and again replied "Uh-huh". Still confused, I decided to move on. Later learned that this was a colloquialism
used by some.