China

Nonc Hilaire

Re: China

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The Spratley islands controversy does tend to focus on China and Vietnam, Brunei and Indonesia but near focus does suggest that cutting the Phillipines off could be a geopolitical objective.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Collaborating with China is in America’s national interest

Kevin Rudd, the former prime minister of Australia and visiting scholar at Harvard

HPlRMECUuxM
Heracleum Persicum

“ Gratifying results on China’s Yongshu Reef:
building vegetable greenhouses (and) growing fruit trees.

In one photograph, six female sailors in camouflaged uniforms pose on a breakwall with a greenhouse in the background. Another picture shows a female sailor – or naval officer, it’s not clear – standing by a stone plinth reading “Awe-inspiring South China Sea”

The Russian Plane China Needs to Rule the South China Sea

:lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Where do Chinese tourists want to travel?

Walking through Nanba station in Osaka, I'm just as likely to hear Chinese as I am Japanese.

Fine with me. The more Chinese tourists visit Japan, the better.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Wall Street Journal :lol: :lol:

“Plenty of facts show that, in 2014, the U.S., a self-proclaimed human rights defender, saw no improvements in its existent human rights issues, but reported numerous new problems,” said the Chinese report, published Friday by the information office of China’s State Council, the country’s Cabinet. “While its own human rights situation was increasingly grave, the U.S. violated human rights in other countries in a more brazen manner.”

America’s record remained blotted by rampant gun crime, racial discrimination, the pernicious influence of money in politics, widening income and social inequality, and state infringements of individual privacy, according to the State Council’s latest yearly assessment.

By Beijing’s reckoning, the U.S. also violated human rights abroad through the use of torture, mass electronic surveillance of foreign governments and citizens, and frequent military drone attacks that have inflicted civilian casualties.

“We couldn’t help but have humility when we have seen what we have seen in the last year in terms of racial discord and unrest. So we approach this with great self-awareness,” Mr. Kerry said. “But we also understand that when human rights is the issue, every country, including the United States, has room to improve.”

:lol: :lol: .. can't stop laughing, things really pervert

Heracleum Persicum

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/67 ... o-china-xi

"Xi Jinping is trying to convince his country’s 1.3 billion people that the way to re-establish Chinese greatness is to undermine the United States and enhance China's influence at our expense," Rubio said, according to prepared remarks.

"He is asserting control over the East and South China Seas, through which more than half of global commerce passes each day."

"Under Xi Jinping's rule, China has intensified its campaign to push America out of Asia," Rubio said.

"China aims to make it so costly and difficult for America to get involved in the region that we won’t bother. In short, China is doing everything it can to make the 21st century a Chinese Century."

Endovelico

China’s V-Day military parade in Beijing 2015

Post by Endovelico »

YoC0Xcjko0A

Dedicated to those who wonder how it was...
Alexis

The Putin's face when looking at Chinese army

Post by Alexis »

Endovelico wrote:Dedicated to those who wonder how it was...
Here is an interesting picture of the leaders attending the parade.

The Russian president doesn't look totally at ease. At least, less than his Chinese counterpart.

Friendship between China and Russia is obviously eternal. However, not only friendship with a partner 5 or 6 times wealthier than yourself may be quite a bit uncomfortable - it's as if we were speaking of a partnership "on equal terms" between the USA and France. Additionally an eternal friendship between China and Russia (well, the USSR) has already existed in the past... for a time.

The largest Russian (that is, post-1991) military exercize to date remains the 2013 one, which was announced by surprise and consisted in quick deployment of a heavy armored force in Eastern Siberia, including more than 150,000 soldiers. The intended public was probably neither the USA, Europe nor Japan...

When Putin is looking at China showing off its growing military power, he's probably rejoicing as for the present or short term - what with present disputes with US and many Europeans - but he may also be thinking about the future.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Failed China schemes pull down hundreds of thousands of investors

Remains to be seen how widespread is this problem: local or national scale.
Heracleum Persicum

image2.jpg
image2.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats outbound money to foreign countries, everyone knows china is winning that spending game at the moment because all the corrupt officials are getting-the-flock-out before it all goes pearshaped, either financially or politically.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

All Chinese diplomats must dye!

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Turning Japanese?

Economist | Debt in China - Deleveraging delayed
This means that China’s overall debt-to-GDP ratio is continuing its steady upward march (see chart). Debt was about 160% of annual output in 2007. Now, China’s debt ratio stands at more than 240%, or 161 trillion yuan ($25 trillion), according to calculations by The Economist. It has risen by nearly 50 percentage points over the past four years alone, with slowing growth only serving to magnify indebtedness.

A rapid increase in debt in a short space of time has historically been a good predictor of financial trouble, from Japan in the 1990s to southern Europe in the 2000s*. But there is no level that automatically triggers crises. Since most of China’s debts are held within the government-controlled bits of its economy (state-owned firms are the biggest debtors and state-owned banks their biggest creditors), the country has the means to avoid an acute crisis. It can, in effect, roll over bad loans as they come due or abstain from calling them in. However, although that spares the economy short-term pain, it leaves it with a chronic ailment. Ever more credit is needed to sustain growth. Loans that should have gone to sprightly companies with promising new ideas go instead to corporate zombies.
*To the USA in the 2008.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

CCP is trying to go hipster:

m91zBt94Ll0
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:CCP is trying to go hipster:

m91zBt94Ll0
Catchier than "I love NY!" but not as good as the classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgekmOqCFTU
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:CCP is trying to go hipster:

m91zBt94Ll0
Catchier than "I love NY!" but not as good as the classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgekmOqCFTU
Indeed.

I'm partial to the remake

1UM8-nNWuoc

set in otaku central: Akihabara, Tokyo.

Although, I rather like The Killers video set in Shinjuku [and Kabukicho], Tokyo

zc8hbSM1zVo
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The leaders of Taiwan and China formally meet for the first time since 1949.

An hour later they want to meet again.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

One by one they comet back to DaDi :lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Missed the joke.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Missed the joke.

Understand

takes time to kick in :lol:

Chinese think in 100 yrs terms .. for China next yr means within next 100 yrs

Where will US be in 100 yrs ? ? .. that is what Taiwan must ask .. the answer is obvious, that is why Ma Ying-jeou shook hand with Xi Jinping (look how happy they are), am sure with American encouragement, wisely.

Lately, seems Abe too climbing down from sable rattling, wise move .. China was never an aggressive nation, not so Japan

Chinese tourist feel at home in Japan .. they think Japanese Chinese (my Chinese very knowledgable friend in Vancouver said so) :)

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Add the Swiss franc to the U.S., Australian and New Zealand dollars, the British pound, the Japanese yen and the euro as directly convertable to RMB.
China took another step to boost the yuan’s global usage, saying it will start direct trading with the Swiss franc, as the nation pushes its case for reserve-currency status at the International Monetary Fund.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... wiss-franc

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Missed the joke.

Understand

takes time to kick in :lol:

Chinese think in 100 yrs terms .. for China next yr means within next 100 yrs

Where will US be in 100 yrs ? ? .. that is what Taiwan must ask .. the answer is obvious, that is why Ma Ying-jeou shook hand with Xi Jinping (look how happy they are), am sure with American encouragement, wisely.

Lately, seems Abe too climbing down from sable rattling, wise move .. China was never an aggressive nation, not so Japan
You still missed the joke and you also don't know your history.

Chinese tourist feel at home in Japan .. they think Japanese Chinese (my Chinese very knowledgable friend in Vancouver said so) :)

Your friend doesn't know much. Having spent a fair bit of time in China, the two cultures are more different than Germany and Italy.