John Derbyshire, the talk: non-black version

This too shall pass.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Re: john derbyshire, the talk: non-black version

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Unsurprisingly, John Derbyshire has been convicted of Thought Crime and summarily executed as a heretic:
National Review fires columnist accused of racism

The National Review has fired columnist John Derbyshire over a web posting in which he wrote that black people are hostile to whites and that white people should stay out of black neighborhoods and away from black crowds.
http://news.yahoo.com/national-review-f ... 06054.html
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yeah, and? What's the problem here? Why do you carry water for obvious racists? I roll through black neighborhoods on a daily basis without a problem. 2 AM in Bed-Stuy in a business suit, no problems.

He's a genuflecting durian who hates black people, and is obsessed with it. Why keep him on to write puerile dogma?

The Republican party is moving left. This sort of hatemongering identity politics will not stand. You should rejoice in it, as someone who hates leftist identity politics and race-baiting, the best way to neutralize such tactics is to not employ the token racists and homophobes that empower them to work.

He has nothing of note to say on the topic, so why keep him on if he's going to write things that have no purpose and no usefulness? Keep the racist on just so that you don't appear like you are kowtowing to the race-baiters?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Enki wrote:Yeah, and? What's the problem here? Why do you carry water for obvious racists? I roll through black neighborhoods on a daily basis without a problem. 2 AM in Bed-Stuy in a business suit, no problems.

He's a genuflecting durian who hates black people, and is obsessed with it. Why keep him on to write puerile dogma?

The Republican party is moving left. This sort of hatemongering identity politics will not stand. You should rejoice in it, as someone who hates leftist identity politics and race-baiting, the best way to neutralize such tactics is to not employ the token racists and homophobes that empower them to work.

He has nothing of note to say on the topic, so why keep him on if he's going to write things that have no purpose and no usefulness? Keep the racist on just so that you don't appear like you are kowtowing to the race-baiters?
I don't know who John Derbyshire is. I only saw the article in the OP. If he had nothing of value to say, they should have fired him for that a long time ago. For the record, I don't have a problem with TNR firing him: they are a private company with an agenda to push and magazines to sell, so it's in their interest to stifle open discussion if it counters either of those goals and they should have the right to pursue their interests.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Enki

Post by Enki »

His articles on China are pretty interesting. But this kind of lavender is just nonsense.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote: . . . I roll through black neighborhoods on a daily without a problem. . . .
I think that the fact that "black neighbourhoods" even exist in and off itself indicates a problem.

Anecdote. After having first arrived in Chicagoland, I recall driving on the south side along one of the main streets. Perhaps Western Avenue.

Something seemed odd, at first I could not place it, then it struck me: everyone on one side of the street was predominantly white while the other side was predominantly black.

Got lost in a "black neighbourhood" the same trip. It was a bit disconcerting to have people staring and pointing, while some cars honked their horns, and other cars followed us.

However, I still used to go to the "black neighbourhood" on the South Side to listen to the blues. Inside was fine, outside was a bit tricky on occasion.

Admittedly this was now decades ago. I hope that the situation has changed for the better, but I don't know.

I've read that Harlem NY has gone from a place to be avoided at all costs to a tourist destination.

After apartheid was officially ended in the US in 1964, I think that the best approach would have been

__n5Bgxx-68

rather than creating the massive bureaucracy and subsequent distortions and unintended consequences of the Great Society, so-called.

As an outsider, my impressions are

1/ the race issue is an ongoing, unresolved, problem in the US;

2/ there is disproportionate black on black violence;

3/ black on white violent incidents are downplayed in the msm, while white on black violent incidents are amplified
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Enki wrote:His articles on China are pretty interesting. But this kind of lavender is just nonsense.
Well, I don't think much of his articles on China.

In either case, saying it is so does not make it so.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

john derbyshire, the Talks, Fred Reed, Chris Rock

Post by monster_gardener »

Enki wrote:Yeah, and? What's the problem here? Why do you carry water for obvious racists? I roll through black neighborhoods on a daily basis without a problem. 2 AM in Bed-Stuy in a business suit, no problems.

Thank you Very Much for your post, Tinker.

I'm not so sure about that..............

IMVHO Derbyshire makes a number of the same points as Fred Reed.......

http://fredoneverything.net/Screwed.shtml
Also visible in the prop-wash of the shooting is the seething, unreasoning hatred for whites. Of course not all blacks hate whites equally, or at all. If you are white, the black economist next door probably doesn’t hate you and wants for his children what you want for yours. Well and good. But I can show you parts, many parts, of Washington or Chicago or Los Angeles where, if you are white, you wouldn’t last an hour after the sun went down.

Fred Reed goes in more for a probable reason for some of the problem than Derbyshire but.............
Years back I walked a foot beat with a cop on Capitol Hill. The cop started chatting with a black kid of maybe eleven. He suggested mildly that the boy ought to be home reading instead of hanging out on the street. “I ain’t read no boo-oo-ook,” said the child with infinite scorn. Exactly.
A symptom of the underlying corruption of American society is that in matters racial neither the government nor the media are impartial. Both (if one regards media and government as separate entities) carefully bury horrific crimes by blacks against whites and Asians while amplifying any crime, real or imagined, by whites against blacks. This has gone on so long that whites in general must be aware of it.

But what effect does this highly directed coverage have on blacks of no education? On those who can’t read or who read so poorly that they don’t? In eight years as police reporter for the Washington Times, I went into many homes of urban blacks who had called the cops. I do not recall ever seeing a book. We are speaking of a people whose only source of information is television.

Which tells them over and over that innocent blacks are being killed, beaten, jailed, and falsely accused. Disposed to self-pity and more emotional than reasoning, they readily accept this message. It comes often from prominent blacks who maintain their power by ridiculous warnings of genocide and the like.

In all the outpourings of fury from blacks over the shooting, I have not encountered the slightest appreciation that it might have been a matter of self-defense. Not the slightest recognition that blacks indeed commit a great deal of violent crime and that whites might reasonably be wary of hooded young black males. The races are on utterly different pages.

Where does this leave us? The racial impasse is just that, an impasse, and not getting better. The hatred is deep and wide-spread. Television encourages it.
Especially when NBC lies by editing the tape of the incident.........

and for that matter Chris Rock makes similar points..........

uj0mtxXEGE8

Good advice for people of every color or lack thereof :wink:........ Even I learned from this "Talk"

f3PJF0YE-x4

Same points as Fred Reed.........
Last edited by monster_gardener on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Post by noddy »

i propose the super bowl of love... all the various racial millitant groups get invited to the stadium and the centre is full of the media monkeys who play on race and hollywood celebrititties who are wise and eloquent, who can talk everyone through it.

it would all get boring so the big screens should show various race hate murders from both sides and millitants would need drugs n piss to keep em interested and also high powered machine guns so they didnt feel insecure.

only downside is whitney is dead or id recommend a her and celine to be also in the middle, singing ebony n ivory over and over and over and over.

would fix the lingering race problems instantly. failing that its probably waiting a few more generations.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:i propose the super bowl of love... all the various racial millitant groups get invited to the stadium and the centre is full of the media monkeys who play on race and hollywood celebrititties who are wise and eloquent, who can talk everyone through it.

it would all get boring so the big screens should show various race hate murders from both sides and millitants would need drugs n piss to keep em interested and also high powered machine guns so they didnt feel insecure.

only downside is whitney is dead or id recommend a her and celine to be also in the middle, singing ebony n ivory over and over and over and over.

would fix the lingering race problems instantly. failing that its probably waiting a few more generations.
Good plan.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Typhoon wrote:
Enki wrote: . . . I roll through black neighborhoods on a daily without a problem. . . .
I think that the fact that "black neighbourhoods" even exist in and off itself indicates a problem.

Anecdote. After having first arrived in Chicagoland, I recall driving on the south side along one of the main streets. Perhaps Western Avenue.

Something seemed odd, at first I could not place it, then it struck me: everyone on one side of the street was predominantly white while the other side was predominantly black.

Got lost in a "black neighbourhood" the same trip. It was a bit disconcerting to have people staring and pointing, while some cars honked their horns, and other cars followed us.

However, I still used to go to the "black neighbourhood" on the South Side to listen to the blues. Inside was fine, outside was a bit tricky on occasion.

Admittedly this was now decades ago. I hope that the situation has changed for the better, but I don't know.

I've read that Harlem NY has gone from a place to be avoided at all costs to a tourist destination.

After apartheid was officially ended in the US in 1964, I think that the best approach would have been

rather than creating the massive bureaucracy and subsequent distortions and unintended consequences of the Great Society, so-called.

3/ black on white violent incidents are downplayed in the msm, while white on black violent incidents are amplified
Anecdotes about traveling through black neighborhoods safely don't counter statistics. This is America, not Beirut, so no matter where you are, you are unlikely to be randomly attacked (in the sense that you have a sub-50% chance of it happening), but it is probable that if someone made a list of the top ten places you are most likely to be assaulted, robbed, raped, or murdered, all of them would be inhabited primarily by poor blacks and Hispanics. No ultra-poor, predominantly white area in West Virginia would make the list, nor would any poor urban sector filled predominantly by east Asians. If you are a white parent raising a child in Los Angeles, you probably ought to be able to instruct your child to avoid Compton without being called a racist for it.

Black males between 16 and 36 are about 3% of the population, and they commit around a third of all violent crimes. Is this a reason to avoid them all? Of course not. Is it a reason for heightened situational awareness at times? Only an durian or the Thought Police would say otherwise. Recognizing such patterns and adjusting your behavior accordingly has been branded the most monstrous kind of evil though. If there were a very narrow (2-3%) social demographic that committed 33% of all rapes, I would have trouble calling evil a father who instructed his daughter to be extra careful around those people.

The reason white on black incidents are amplified is because whites only go after blacks in 3% of the crimes committed by whites, while blacks go after whites about half the time. It's called Man Bites Dog and people respond to stories that are out of the ordinary. Black on white crime is not downplayed so much out of fear or agenda, but because it is such a common, everyday occurrence that people aren't interested.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

Why bring up the Fields Award? Derbyshire, first and foremost, is a pompous ass who feels that everyone else is his inferior. His racism is just an aside to the overwhelming air of superiority he exudes.

Fred, on the other hand, brings up some similar points, but I never get the impression that he considers himself above the fray.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:I think that the fact that "black neighbourhoods" even exist in and off itself indicates a problem.
Homogenous neighborhoods are on the wane across the nation. Obviously if I am rolling through them with no problem that is indicative of the fact that it's not abnormal for white people to do it anymore.

I cannot comment on Chicago.
The black locals cannot afford Harlem anymore.

__n5Bgxx-68

Heh, I can't wait until the day that violence between individuals will stop being played up as part of some larger racial issue.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Anecdotes about traveling through black neighborhoods safely don't counter statistics. This is America, not Beirut, so no matter where you are, you are unlikely to be randomly attacked (in the sense that you have a sub-50% chance of it happening), but it is probable that if someone made a list of the top ten places you are most likely to be assaulted, robbed, raped, or murdered, all of them would be inhabited primarily by poor blacks and Hispanics. No ultra-poor, predominantly white area in West Virginia would make the list, nor would any poor urban sector filled predominantly by east Asians. If you are a white parent raising a child in Los Angeles, you probably ought to be able to instruct your child to avoid Compton without being called a racist for it.
Would be interesting to see the stats on this.
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Black males between 16 and 36 are about 3% of the population, and they commit around a third of all violent crimes. Is this a reason to avoid them all? Of course not. Is it a reason for heightened situational awareness at times? Only an durian or the Thought Police would say otherwise. Recognizing such patterns and adjusting your behavior accordingly has been branded the most monstrous kind of evil though. If there were a very narrow (2-3%) social demographic that committed 33% of all rapes, I would have trouble calling evil a father who instructed his daughter to be extra careful around those people.
If the stats are accurate, then it would make sense.
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:The reason white on black incidents are amplified is because whites only go after blacks in 3% of the crimes committed by whites, while blacks go after whites about half the time. It's called Man Bites Dog and people respond to stories that are out of the ordinary. Black on white crime is not downplayed so much out of fear or agenda, but because it is such a common, everyday occurrence that people aren't interested.
An unfortunate state of affairs all around.
Ammianus

Re: John Derbyshire, the talk: non-black version

Post by Ammianus »

Heh, I can't wait until the day that violence between individuals will stop being played up as part of some larger racial issue.
Boy are you going to wait for sometime on that. The sundry race issue inciters have everything to gain, nothing to lose, by continuing to play up those things and maintain the current wretched discourse we have.

And truth be told, the Derb is only somewhat more culpable than those academic cultural Marxists, black ethnic "activists", knee jerk PC liberals, and internet civil liberaltarians who rushed to proclaim Mr. Zimmerman a white racist guilty of murder, how the murder show the nation trending towards a fascist police state and being institutionally racist towards blacks, or how we're past due for yet another honest discussion on race that must be broached and confronted right this moment.

So, no, you probably will have to wait 2-3 generations at least for all this to blow over.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

People just flat out lose their minds when it comes to race. I think there may be a profound lesson in that but I haven't the foggiest what it would be.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Gross article. I'm not familiar with this author, but it seems like part of the of second wave of pseudo-scientific racism that has become popular in the last few decades. The Bell Curve is the most famous and semi-respectable example.

The backhanded tone of the article seems to be "treat black people as your equals, and the law says they are your equals, even though they are clearly not actually your equals." If one cultural group doesn't do well on some kind of arbitrary test devised by, or succeed within the economic structures created by, another cultural group, that must mean there is some kind of inherent inferiority. But hey, it's all just "science."

Most of these pseudo-scientific racists peddle soft segregation. "We just shouldn't mix, no laws needed, it's just common sense. Plus look at these crime statistics."

This is one quote that I would have liked to hear expanded upon:
There are, for example, no black Fields Medal winners. While this is civilizationally consequential, it will not likely ever be important to you personally.
How, I wonder, is it civilizationally consequential? And what does that even mean?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well before we get into that first we should really settle that thing about 50% of the military wanting to kill Arabs/Muslims, whatever that was about.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:Unsurprisingly, John Derbyshire has been convicted of Thought Crime and summarily executed as a heretic:
National Review fires columnist accused of racism

The National Review has fired columnist John Derbyshire over a web posting in which he wrote that black people are hostile to whites and that white people should stay out of black neighborhoods and away from black crowds.
http://news.yahoo.com/national-review-f ... 06054.html

People can and will be held accountable for their words and actions. He got fired, not sent to a gulag.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ammianus wrote:
Boy are you going to wait for sometime on that. The sundry race issue inciters have everything to gain, nothing to lose, by continuing to play up those things and maintain the current wretched discourse we have.

And truth be told, the Derb is only somewhat more culpable than those academic cultural Marxists, black ethnic "activists", knee jerk PC liberals, and internet civil liberaltarians who rushed to proclaim Mr. Zimmerman a white racist guilty of murder, how the murder show the nation trending towards a fascist police state and being institutionally racist towards blacks, or how we're past due for yet another honest discussion on race that must be broached and confronted right this moment.

So, no, you probably will have to wait 2-3 generations at least for all this to blow over.
Nah, I think this sort of reality is not in the experience of Gen Y and younger. That kind of racism just baffles them for the most part. White kids don't have 'black friends', they have a friend Malik.

Seriously, in my experience, the entire conception of race is radically different in the younger generation. Racism baffled me for years. I always thought it was incredibly naive to judge someone based upon the color of their skin.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Ibrahim wrote: The Bell Curve is the most famous and semi-respectable example.
Ah those universally-denounced, yet historically-vindicated, works of scholarship... so frustrating. In time, Charles Murray will be pardoned, along with James D. Watson and Edmund Wilson.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ah those universally-denounced, yet historically-vindicated, works of scholarship... so frustrating. In time, Charles Murray will be pardoned, along with James D. Watson and Edmund Wilson.
Historically vindicated? The same arguments were used to justify restricting immigration of Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Jews, Catholics, Italians and others into the USA.

Also, I have the impression that you misunderstand and misinterpret Edmund O. Wilson's work in sociobiology.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Certainly there is support for this agenda from some quarters. Always has been, always will be. It provides an illusory scientific justification for something you "know" in your "gut."
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Oh, apparently "Derb" was a homophobe as well as a racist. I guess his bosses were ok with that.

http://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/ ... degay.html
Derb wrote:I do think that homosexuality is freakish and slightly disgusting, though, and I seem to know a lot of people — very ordinary, hard-working, thoughtful and civic-minded Americans — who, in private, express the same opinion. That opinion was, after all, well-nigh universal 30 or 40 years ago.

What I object to is the assumption, rapidly becoming universal, that those of us sharing this opinion should keep their mouths shut if they know what's good for them, and should feel ashamed of thoughts that seems to me commonplace and reasonable. To put it another way, I object to the assault the homosexual lobbies are conducting on our most fundamental and instinctual feelings, sensibilities, and, yes, religious beliefs — the relentless effort to portray those feelings, those sensibilities and those beliefs as illegitimate, deplorable and wicked. Distaste for homosexuality is about as fundamental a feature of human nature as you can find. It is nothing much to do with Leviticus, whatever the hate-God crowd tell you — it is, for example, widely felt in China, where nobody has even heard of Leviticus. The really striking thing about those Gallup graphs is how flat they are, in spite of all the propaganda. What irritates and annoys me is the dishonesty of homosexual propaganda — the massive campaign to pretend that human nature is something different from what it, in fact, is. I just don't like massive, organized lying.

Ah, I see. "Look, we all know fags are disgusting, and pretending there is anything wrong with thinking or saying that is just a great big lie." It's human nature. Derb has a biological imperative to be disgusted by homosexuals. I think I've heard this rationale before. Say, '30's Germany. They "knew" that all human beings were instinctively disgusted by The Jew. No need to lie about it, it's healthy human nature.

It seems his methodology is less pseudo-scientific here, but his general position is very much the same. "Don't go around discriminating against these people, that's illegal, but can we all just admit that they are disgusting (gays) or inferior (blacks) and we all know it?"

Derb wrote:I am ticked off, pretty much daily, by the aggressive and dishonest propaganda of the homosexualist lobbies, by their attempts to stifle my freedom of speech, and by the efforts of their extremist elements to recruit innocent kids to their practices.
:lol: So not only is Derb not allowed to scream "fag" in a crowded movie theater, but these disgusting homosexuals are trying to recruit his kids. Classic.
Juggernaut Nihilism

I've found that most males have conflicting feelings when it comes to homosexuality: they find male homosexuality revolting when they think about it, but are surprised to find that male homosexuals are some of the nicer and more interesting people to know in person; meanwhile, they find lesbianism exciting in their fantasies, but actual lesbians insufferable and almost unbearable to be around.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Ibrahim wrote:Oh, apparently "Derb" was a homophobe as well as a racist. I guess his bosses were ok with that.

http://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/ ... degay.html
Derb wrote:I do think that homosexuality is freakish and slightly disgusting, though, and I seem to know a lot of people — very ordinary, hard-working, thoughtful and civic-minded Americans — who, in private, express the same opinion. That opinion was, after all, well-nigh universal 30 or 40 years ago.

What I object to is the assumption, rapidly becoming universal, that those of us sharing this opinion should keep their mouths shut if they know what's good for them, and should feel ashamed of thoughts that seems to me commonplace and reasonable. To put it another way, I object to the assault the homosexual lobbies are conducting on our most fundamental and instinctual feelings, sensibilities, and, yes, religious beliefs — the relentless effort to portray those feelings, those sensibilities and those beliefs as illegitimate, deplorable and wicked. Distaste for homosexuality is about as fundamental a feature of human nature as you can find. It is nothing much to do with Leviticus, whatever the hate-God crowd tell you — it is, for example, widely felt in China, where nobody has even heard of Leviticus. The really striking thing about those Gallup graphs is how flat they are, in spite of all the propaganda. What irritates and annoys me is the dishonesty of homosexual propaganda — the massive campaign to pretend that human nature is something different from what it, in fact, is. I just don't like massive, organized lying.

Ah, I see. "Look, we all know fags are disgusting, and pretending there is anything wrong with thinking or saying that is just a great big lie." It's human nature. Derb has a biological imperative to be disgusted by homosexuals. I think I've heard this rationale before. Say, '30's Germany. They "knew" that all human beings were instinctively disgusted by The Jew. No need to lie about it, it's healthy human nature.

It seems his methodology is less pseudo-scientific here, but his general position is very much the same. "Don't go around discriminating against these people, that's illegal, but can we all just admit that they are disgusting (gays) or inferior (blacks) and we all know it?"

Derb wrote:I am ticked off, pretty much daily, by the aggressive and dishonest propaganda of the homosexualist lobbies, by their attempts to stifle my freedom of speech, and by the efforts of their extremist elements to recruit innocent kids to their practices.
:lol: So not only is Derb not allowed to scream "fag" in a crowded movie theater, but these disgusting homosexuals are trying to recruit his kids. Classic.
Yes, there is a wide gulf between claiming free speech when you're talking about crime statistics and genetic variations, as opposed to claiming it when you just want to be able to climb on a platform and shout your emotional opinions. Derbyshire seems to be on the wrong side of that gulf.