Economic Advice from An American in Oz.......

This too shall pass.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Economic Advice from An American in Oz.......

Post by monster_gardener »

Hat tip to Never Fail at the Spengler Forum........

Thrown out for discussion/perhaps refutation...........

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... 1xcn1.html
Economic epidemic: avoid American disease-like plague
Jonathan Tasini
April 21, 2012

If economics were as precise as medicine, a smart economic "physician" would look at the hand-wringing here over "Dutch disease" and peg it as a short-term bug needing some care, a few aspirin and some commonsense.

They would dismiss it as a distraction from combating the "American disease", which is a far greater threat to Australia.

Dutch disease, in brief, is the downside a boom can have on different industries because of the appreciation of a country's currency. No doubt the high Australian dollar, driven principally by the mining boom, is hurting certain industries.
Advertisement: Story continues below

But the American disease spreads its hurt into every pore of society. Here is how I define it: an ideology based on a phantom idea called the "free market", whose purity and virtue can only be realised by tearing down any regulation deemed "anti-business", cutting every tax ever conceived and shovelling most of the wealth created in society into the hands of a few.

The American disease has been wildly successful. It has killed the middle class, diverting 30 years of wealth growth from the people who created the value into the hands of the few. More people live in poverty in the US – 46 million – than at any time in the half-century the US government has measured that figure.

To be fair, the widening gap between rich and poor in the US does have benefits: a few billionaires can now afford, thanks to rulings by the conservative majority on the US Supreme Court, to spend unlimited amounts of money to buy elections, and to own pliant politicians of both major parties, who, in turn, show their gratitude by pimping for laws that hand even more wealth into the hands of the few.

The American disease is particularly adept at infecting the brain, spreading entirely discredited ideas that people assimilate despite the facts. Exhibit No.1: high taxes discourage investment. Nonsense. In virtually every independent, honest survey of US business executives over the past 25 years, worries about tax rates rank far below, for example, access to an educated, skilled workforce, and good transport systems – all of which depend on a significant tax base.

Nobel laureate economist Paul Krugman told me recently that Mark Zuckerberg – who is about to become a billionaire many times over – never worried about the capital gains tax rate when he started Facebook. Yet the myth, entirely unsupported by facts, persists: cutting taxes is the chief elixir to spur innovation, job creation and investment.

About those "job creators". Not one of them would have made a dime without investments by the government: roads, bridges, broadband, and schools. The outsized pay and fortunes the American disease awards the "job creators" has nothing to do with intelligence or creativity; most of the executives I've met are dull and mediocre. Their financial rewards are a product of cronyism and pay handed them by pliant boards stacked with their free-market sidekicks.

As for those regulations? Americans can thank 40 years of deregulation for higher injury rates at work, lower pay, non-existent pensions, higher airline fees, the savings and loan crisis, healthcare costs and the 2008 financial crisis that wiped out trillions of dollars.

Which is why I shudder when I smell the American disease wafting from the mouths of many of Australia's political leaders. Be clear: calls here for lower taxes, deregulation, "competitiveness" and smaller government have nothing to do with sound economics. They benefit either unpatriotic mining barons or cynical politicians who amass power on the backs of the fear of the people.

This is not an anti-business argument. The opposite: I am pro-business because we need good-paying jobs. Instead, we need to be clear that embracing the American disease is shackling an economy to a discredited philosophy that values greed, mismanagement, flimsy economic justifications and stupidity over building a sustainable economy that spreads the benefits of wealth broadly.

Australia should be proud of its history of setting a global standard of high wages, strong unions, real pensions, national healthcare, active government and, through all that, a relatively equitable society. Kill the American disea

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... z1shOiJvG7
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Simple Minded

Re: Economic Advice from An American in Oz.......

Post by Simple Minded »

Excellent Post Monster Gardener!!

Pure mindless babble from a broad brusher, American disease is de-regulation over the last 40 years? A very insulated individual.

Wow, different America than the one I have lived in for 52 years. The Author needs to talk to some American business owners, property owners, or taxpayers some day. Kinda a tough claim to support if one looks at the volumes of regulation implemented in America over the last few decades.

Sounds like more "Life is unfair!" whinning, and "I'll vote for anyone who promises to relieve me of personal responsibility!" lemmingism (as opposed to Lenninism) to me. :)

People love to take a stationary snapshot in time of dynamic system and claim permanent proof of systemic failure or success. Wasn't so long ago, that the Europeans, and the Soviets before them, had achieved a permanent state of social and financial utopia..........

At least that is what the experts claimed at the time...... ;)

As I told my niece in 2004, the next 10-15 years the "throw me in chains but feed me mentality" will dominate the zeitgeist.... the author is one of many.... thankfully.... they (and their children) shall reap what they sow :) :)
YMix

Post by YMix »

The Author needs to talk to some American business owners, property owners, or taxpayers some day. Kinda a tough claim to support if one looks at the volumes of regulation implemented in America over the last few decades.
Ah, but deregulation is not for everybody. If you're not important enough to shake a US Senator's hand, you don't deserve deregulation.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Ah, another light bulb basher finally surfaces.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
The Author needs to talk to some American business owners, property owners, or taxpayers some day. Kinda a tough claim to support if one looks at the volumes of regulation implemented in America over the last few decades.
Ah, but deregulation is not for everybody. If you're not important enough to shake a US Senator's hand, you don't deserve deregulation.
Exactly right brother Ymix...

Which has almost nothing to do with the "American Disease" but a lot to do with a few corrupt individuals. Hence my use of the term "mindless babble from a broad brusher." The effects the author catalogues don't really have a lot to do with "free markets" or for that matter "America."

Don't characterize Main Street USA, because of what happens in NYC or Washington DC. The areas of the US that are most zombie like, are exactly the areas that have been subject to increasing regulation over the last few decades.

Examples; Sub prime crises, dispensations from Health Care Reform for large donors to certain political celebrities. Money laundering in politically correct industries (green anyone?).....

If you think regulation will fix anything, the first question is ask is who will oversee the regulators?

Doesn't make financial sense to buy politicians in industries that are not subject to political control. Regulation is required first to get the serious payola schemes rockin and rollin!!!!!

The other faccinating aspect of the authors assertions, is one can easily argue that all those declining indicators are happening in the presence of increased regulation over the last 40 years.

If increased regulation is the key to "better" why the dispensation for political cash cows?
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Simple Minded wrote:As I told my niece in 2004, the next 10-15 years the "throw me in chains but feed me mentality" will dominate the zeitgeist.... the author is one of many.... thankfully.... they (and their children) shall reap what they sow :) :)
That mentality is now fortunately being replaced with the "throw me in chains and don't feed me mentality"...
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:As I told my niece in 2004, the next 10-15 years the "throw me in chains but feed me mentality" will dominate the zeitgeist.... the author is one of many.... thankfully.... they (and their children) shall reap what they sow :) :)
That mentality is now fortunately being replaced with the "throw me in chains and don't feed me mentality"...
Amen Brother Endovelico!

More Social Justice is in the pipeline..... :) which only seems.... "fair." ;)

The majority of voters in the last three generations (Boomers, Boomers+1, Boomers+2) in the West that voted for Square Circles (We don't care about cause and effect or economic law) and Free Lunches (Let's vote to financially screw the future generations/other taxpayers!) are about to get the government teat pulled out of their mouths by the Boomers+3, Boomers+4 generations (and possibly get that teat shoved up their asses).

Only problem with voting to screw your kids and grandkids for decades is one day they will be smart enough to figure it out, and old enough to do something about it!

Life is often just........ and payback..... can be a real bitch!!!

Funny how everyone wants to be Robin Hood and believes in "social justice" when they are holding the bow and pointing the arrow at someone else....... becareful what you teach your kids..... they just might learn it....