Occupy the Globe

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Re: Occupy the Globe

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Siphoning even more money from kids and the helpless. I love it. Left wing antics always screw the poor and helpless the most. Luv it.

Excellent point Mr. Perfect.

But as noted, just a leeeetttttlllllleeee bit tooooooooo subtle for some to grasp.

Causing the little guy so much pain that he gets mad as hell and just can't take it anymore adn snaps is a time tested tactic..... isn't it?

Hopefully....... they will take it out on your opponents and come running into your arms for comfort. Your opponent is always the secondary target.

I think it usually works out..... pretty well...... in the short term....... the real trick is to get the hell outa Dodge before they realize what you did to them. Most practioners eventually start believing their own propaganda and stay too long to avoid the blowback.

"If you wanna make an omulet, ya gotta break a few eggs!"

"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic."
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I think it puts public officials squarely on the spot.

What would you rather do; suppress people in a park that are breaking few if any laws, or educate kids. Forget relative efficacy of public schools. For the purpose of this argument, that is irrelevant. The fact is that there is no requirement to play law'n'order. There isn't even a negligible good. They just reflexively do force and power, even to the detriment of society.

Anybody that gets mad at Occupy for loss of civic services is a bread and circus durian for whom oppression is an unquestioned and accepted default. I hope their bellybuttons come unscrewed and their ass falls out.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

The two main critiques of the Occupy protest movement seem to be:

1. There is nothing wrong, what are you complaining about? And...

2. There are things wrong but don't waste everyone's time by complaining about it, just hope you find a job and the hand feeds you well.

I can't decide which one of these views I would rank lower.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Demon of Undoing wrote:I think it puts public officials squarely on the spot.

What would you rather do; suppress people in a park that are breaking few if any laws, or educate kids. Forget relative efficacy of public schools. For the purpose of this argument, that is irrelevant. The fact is that there is no requirement to play law'n'order. There isn't even a negligible good. They just reflexively do force and power, even to the detriment of society.

Anybody that gets mad at Occupy for loss of civic services is a bread and circus durian for whom oppression is an unquestioned and accepted default. I hope their bellybuttons come unscrewed and their ass falls out.

Excellent points. Limited amount of money, unlimited demands, even angelic administrators aren't going to please more than say 65% of the population. At some point, popular culture will reverse the recent unlimited mission creep and ever increasing demands for "some one else to do more for me!"

Perhaps it will take nothing less than the dying off of the generations who believe in free lunches and square circles. Still looks like "Generation We" will be a catalyst to me...... this party is just getting started and will last decades.....
Carbizene

Occupy protestors biometrically logged

Post by Carbizene »

But protesters and their legal advisers were surprised yesterday to learn that the size of their bail was being affected by whether defendants were willing to have the distinctive patterns of their irises photographed and logged into a database.

The idea of the state collecting distinctive biometric information from people who haven’t even been charged with a crime yet, much less convicted of one, makes civil libertarians nervous. Unlike fingerprints, no law was ever passed to require iris photographs — it’s just a policy.

village voice
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I just want New York to handle New York the way New Yorkers want to handle it.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote:The two main critiques of the Occupy protest movement seem to be:

1. There is nothing wrong, what are you complaining about? And...

2. There are things wrong but don't waste everyone's time by complaining about it, just hope you find a job and the hand feeds you well.

I can't decide which one of these views I would rank lower.
Nah, I think the main critique is that these are leftist kids who are essentially disingenuous/ignorant and think the law doesn't apply to them.

Personally, I agree but I still think it's great, I haven't seen anything more self destructive to the left since 1968 Chicago.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Do you have a name for the Universe you live in MP?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes, the pay-go universe. :)
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

yeah I'm sick of free loading babies, old people and the disabled, maybe you can come up with a plan to liquidate these free loaders...oh thats right others have already tried that.

1..2...3..4..and bang MP's reactionary comment on euthenasia
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well the Democrats committed those people to their demise many many decades ago, the only thing left is for the prepared to watch from relative safety as the great society falls apart. Can't say you weren't all warned.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

lol..it's hilarious to hear a supporter of the CMIC issue sage like warnings 'bout enlargment of the CMIC, truly Kafka-esque.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

In all honesty I may not be able to capture all the meaning of your acronym laden musing, but suffice it to say that people of my stripe have been warning of outcomes in terms of imploding entitlements, the potential devastation caused by entities like the Federal Reserve, Freddie/Fannie and Public Schooling for many decades now, and we were met largely as if we rapists, racists, bigots, child eaters, and lunatics. Now it's coming to pass and we can't save anybody, so maybe that Darwin guy had a point.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

I didn't get past your first sentence as use of one acronym is not an acronym laden sentence, therefore, a fortiori, all that follows is of diminished consequence.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Yeah, basically.

I tell cops I'll stand in solidarity with them when they strike.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Carbizene wrote:I didn't get past your first sentence as use of one acronym is not an acronym laden sentence, therefore, a fortiori, all that follows is of diminished consequence.
I can't win 'em all. ;)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

What would you rather do; suppress people in a park that are breaking few if any laws, or educate kids.
You are assuming that bureaucrats connect the two, or understand there is a relationship. That would be a faulty assumption.
Demon of Undoing

Mr. Perfect wrote:

What would you rather do; suppress people in a park that are breaking few if any laws, or educate kids.
You are assuming that bureaucrats connect the two, or understand there is a relationship. That would be a faulty assumption.

I think that with a moment's examination, they could see that you can't pay for both. It's purely a matter of priority. They are doing the police state thing because that's how they've been able to do business since WWII. They could afford to be brutal and nobody would notice ( let's face it, Americans notice squat until it hits them in the pocket).

Now, people are going to notice. America has always been a violent country. What will people do when they realize that the cavalier use of force is no longer a viable first option for conflict resolution?

I expect more violence. genuflect them schoolkids. We'll pay attention to them when it's their turn to go to jail.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Almost the entire city government is term limited and cannot run for re-election in their current post in 2013.

So yeah. The bureaucrats will listen because they will have just been elected in an election year where police brutality is the number one issue.

Today is a 'Million Hoodie' March for Trayvon Martin in Manhattan.

You are more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist.

The police state is losing. It cracks down the hardest, when it is the weakest. They rolled into Union Square Park last night and cracked skulls. Which is funny because Union Square Park is essentially the activist park since like forever. It has lots of clubkids and ravers and skaters and such hanging out at all hours. So the park itself was not substantially different from how it would be on any normal warm evening, except that people had OWS signs.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Demon of Undoing wrote: I think that with a moment's examination, they could see that you can't pay for both. It's purely a matter of priority. They are doing the police state thing because that's how they've been able to do business since WWII. They could afford to be brutal and nobody would notice ( let's face it, Americans notice squat until it hits them in the pocket).

Now, people are going to notice. America has always been a violent country. What will people do when they realize that the cavalier use of force is no longer a viable first option for conflict resolution?
I honestly don't think anyone, not anyone that matters is going to connect the dots. It will all be forgotten soon.
I expect more violence. genuflect them schoolkids. We'll pay attention to them when it's their turn to go to jail.
Well, NY is as NY does.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote:Almost the entire city government is term limited and cannot run for re-election in their current post in 2013.

So yeah. The bureaucrats will listen because they will have just been elected in an election year where police brutality is the number one issue.

The police state is losing. It cracks down the hardest, when it is the weakest. They rolled into Union Square Park last night and cracked skulls. Which is funny because Union Square Park is essentially the activist park since like forever. It has lots of clubkids and ravers and skaters and such hanging out at all hours. So the park itself was not substantially different from how it would be on any normal warm evening, except that people had OWS signs.
You can take a Democrat out of Tammany Hall, but you can't take Tammany Hall out of a Democrat.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Enki wrote:Almost the entire city government is term limited and cannot run for re-election in their current post in 2013.

You can take a Democrat out of Tammany Hall, but you can't take Tammany Hall out of a Democrat.
Actually, it's two Republicans that are beating people down.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Two Republicans hired by a deeply Democrat city.

Ever ask yourself why a Democrat city keeps electing Republicans to crack heads? It might be enlightening if you did ask that question.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:Today is a 'Million Hoodie' March for Trayvon Martin in Manhattan.

Aside from how disgusting it is just on the facts presented, the Trayvon Martin case is an interesting example of the problem with self defense laws in certain states. Under "stand your ground" laws whatever prejudices or delusions George Zimmerman might have held actually help make the case that he thought he was in imminent danger and therefore acted in self defense. In most US states, and of course any other Western nation, he would have been arrested immediately on some kind culpable homicide charge.

But I think this case speaks more to traditional gun and race issues in the US and is not connected to the Occupy/protest movements.
Demon of Undoing

The problem with the Z shoot- and though it happened twenty miles from me, I have zero intention of investigating details- is that Z did not have the legal right to be where he was, doing what he was doing. The law says you have wide latitude to defend yourself, but only in a place and a situation where you have a legal right to be. You do not have the right to insert yourself in a drug deal between Crips and Zetas and all of a sudden " fear for your life" and sprout machine-guns. You also don't have a right to chase people- even in your own neighborhood- and confront them.

Actually, you do, but you can only meet force with force. You can't shoot someone that punches you ( in all but very few cases). The law is fine, I love it. But this guy apparently didn't follow it. Probably going to make all gun owners and CCW permit holders look bad. I'd give a damn if I followed that law, but I don't. Just another tragedy in Central Florida. Keep watching, it's a regular occurrence.