ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

This too shall pass.
running turtle

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Post by running turtle »

why i have chosen to embrace economic libertarianism, with a progressive slant that should include safety nets (a guaranteed minimum annual income without the obloquy and demeaning bureaucracy), retraining initiatives, the end of education on all levels as we know it (meaning the development of sound online resources, of which there are already several, as opposed to online fraud, of which there is plenty, much of it supported by government resources)......this will involve a lot of creative destruction, but as i see it we don't have much choice and surely we are capable of adapting......i have thought about this until my head has pounded because it will be viewed as a threat by many constituencies......but it all adds up to an imperative from where i am sitting.....i will add one more link about crowdsourcing in general.......the information age has made this sort of sea change possible and i finally got this when i enrolled in a free online class at yale via udemy.....it won't be easy, but the only thing standing in the way is inertia -- and politics.......we are sitting still rather than showing the courage to collectively embrace the future because of outmoded divides in the way we think about such things.......it's high time this changed..... one last thing, a caveat: it is the people on the cutting edge of advancements in the new "third way" economy, if you will, that i find who most stridently object to the advancement of the security state, and i have a deliberate and strong bias towards these sorts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_funding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

running turtle wrote:why i have chosen to embrace economic libertarianism, with a progressive slant that should include safety nets (a guaranteed minimum annual income without the obloquy and demeaning bureaucracy), retraining initiatives, the end of education on all levels as we know it (meaning the development of sound online resources, of which there are already several, as opposed to online fraud, of which there is plenty, much of it supported by government resources)......this will involve a lot of creative destruction, but as i see it we don't have much choice and surely we are capable of adapting......i have thought about this until my head has pounded because it will be viewed as a threat by many constituencies......but it all adds up to an imperative from where i am sitting.....i will add one more link about crowdsourcing in general.......the information age has made this sort of sea change possible and i finally got this when i enrolled in a free online class at yale via udemy.....it won't be easy, but the only thing standing in the way is inertia -- and politics.......we are sitting still rather than showing the courage to collectively embrace the future because of outmoded divides in the way we think about such things.......it's high time this changed..... one last thing, a caveat: it is the people on the cutting edge of advancements in the new "third way" economy, if you will, that i find who most stridently object to the advancement of the security state, and i have a deliberate and strong bias towards these sorts

Interesting running turtle but I do have a question in regards to crowd sourcing/group resourcing: This type of adaption requires extreme extroversion, which already is heavily favored or encouraged in a consumer economy, so what do you do with those natural introverts who won't adapt as well?
Enki

Post by Enki »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Interesting running turtle but I do have a question in regards to crowd sourcing/group resourcing: This type of adaption requires extreme extroversion, which already is heavily favored or encouraged in a consumer economy, so what do you do with those natural introverts who won't adapt as well?
I am more less an introvert. I use extroversion to recruit extroverts and then deploy them in social situations and then move into a room and have personal conversations which I am more adapted to.

But this isn't a feature of crowd-sourcing. Any sort of entrepeneurialism requires one to go out into the world and make their pitch to gain allies/employees/investors.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

No, it isn't necessarily a feature for crowd-sourcing but a feature of groups in general.

Though at the outset such individualized learning from sound online resources may seem a boon to the introverted among us, the self-promotion and recognition one needs for their "work" to be viewed as sound requires a high toleration for the extroverted personality. The extrovert, in more non-hierarchal groupings, has a distinct advantage that doesn't necessarily lead to wise decision-making or good sourcing.

We can already see how 20th century 'Big Business' changed society from its previous admiration of the extrovert to making it the ideal mode of being. Why should we essentially do the same thing to other avenues of life?
Enki

Post by Enki »

That's a good insight. One of the problems with crowd-sourcing is the need to encourage people to feel a sense of ownership. the more people have a sense of ownership the easier it is to lose a sense of centered direction.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

In a room with a dude from DARPA talking about this topic. Wargames screening.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

So I spoke to Bill something or other from DARPA about concentration of wealth and killer robots. Quadrotor IEDs flown through someone's window, the implications of CISPA and tyrannical monitoring, spreading the war on terror from Iraq to Afghabistan, to Yemen and Sudan, into Iowa. He said government innovation is going to look more like X-Prizes than NASA.

He has developed the Young Lady's Primer, it passes the Turing test.
-Alexander Hamilton
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
running turtle wrote:why i have chosen to embrace economic libertarianism, with a progressive slant that should include safety nets (a guaranteed minimum annual income without the obloquy and demeaning bureaucracy), retraining initiatives, the end of education on all levels as we know it (meaning the development of sound online resources, of which there are already several, as opposed to online fraud, of which there is plenty, much of it supported by government resources)......this will involve a lot of creative destruction, but as i see it we don't have much choice and surely we are capable of adapting......i have thought about this until my head has pounded because it will be viewed as a threat by many constituencies......but it all adds up to an imperative from where i am sitting.....i will add one more link about crowdsourcing in general.......the information age has made this sort of sea change possible and i finally got this when i enrolled in a free online class at yale via udemy.....it won't be easy, but the only thing standing in the way is inertia -- and politics.......we are sitting still rather than showing the courage to collectively embrace the future because of outmoded divides in the way we think about such things.......it's high time this changed..... one last thing, a caveat: it is the people on the cutting edge of advancements in the new "third way" economy, if you will, that i find who most stridently object to the advancement of the security state, and i have a deliberate and strong bias towards these sorts

Interesting running turtle but I do have a question in regards to crowd sourcing/group resourcing: This type of adaption requires extreme extroversion, which already is heavily favored or encouraged in a consumer economy, so what do you do with those natural introverts who won't adapt as well?
extroverts love the talking, the ideas and the dreams but tend to come a cropper when it comes to the daily grind that gets results around the tedious details... they get pissed off to easily, lose interest and move onto other things, its best for their dreams not to come into contact with reality lest they be destroyed (lol)

hence, they need introverts to actually "do", its a symbiosis.... ive been living like this for a while now and do fine within my anti social limitations... obviously the complete isolationist hermits cant participate, but hey, can they ever ? have they ever ?

its got to the stage now that im part of a pool of introverts, each of who has a few extroverts in their network and we just handball the jobs between us based on who can do what... we all hang out in introvert channels on the internet (obscure irc servers) and discuss which extrovert dreamer stuff is around us and which of em can pay for their plans, it just grew organically as word of mouth between the extroverts got us more work, and as we proved to them we get results.

im hoping these new revenue streams do take off in a big way, ill have more cash cows to milk, ermm projects to do... cough cough... snot my problem if their plans are silly provided they can pay for em, my problem is delivering the product.

some get angry that their work means others get rich but if i suspect the dreamer has good dreams i make sure i get a stake in the final product.. if i dont think the product will do well i take more upfront and dont ask for a percentage of the final...i have a few projects i do cheaper because i have ownership in them.

so far, ive done lots of paid up front work and the work i have stakes in is festering, ehehehhahha. sigh.. back to it, refactoring here i come.
ultracrepidarian
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Diamond Age

Post by monster_gardener »

Enki wrote:So I spoke to Bill something or other from DARPA about concentration of wealth and killer robots. Quadrotor IEDs flown through someone's window, the implications of CISPA and tyrannical monitoring, spreading the war on terror from Iraq to Afghabistan, to Yemen and Sudan, into Iowa. He said government innovation is going to look more like X-Prizes than NASA.

He has developed the Young Lady's Primer, it passes the Turing test.
Thank you Very Much for your Post, Tinker

When should we expect the Phyla to appear...... or have they already........

And the Mouse Army of Chinese girls..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Age

Who will be Judge Dee's oops I mean Judge Fang's Van Gulik.........
Last edited by monster_gardener on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Marcus

Same ol', same ol' . . ?

Post by Marcus »

running turtle wrote:. . economic libertarianism, with a progressive slant . . (a guaranteed minimum annual income . .) . .
Dunno . . this part at least sounds like an oxymoron . . . :?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Same ol', same ol' . . ?

Post by monster_gardener »

Marcus wrote:
running turtle wrote:. . economic libertarianism, with a progressive slant . . (a guaranteed minimum annual income . .) . .
Thank you Very Much for your post, Marcus.
Not if you're a Wall Street Bankster who get bailed out after post de-regulation (Glass-Stegall) hijinks that crash the market for the rest of Uz ;) :twisted: :shock: :( :evil:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Re: Same ol', same ol' . . ?

Post by noddy »

Marcus wrote:
id call australia that system, or atleast we used to be before the never ending licensing/regulation game fired up to the extent it is now.

we have the minimum income, the dole which is around $150 a week with minimum wage being $350 a week so the incentive to get a job is still strong but noone gets desperate and we dont have bad ghetto's compared to most countries...sure some people game the system and live in share houses and claim as much as they can in benefits but its never been a large percentage and you can only live that way for so long.

i realise its not the american version of economic libertarianism but personally im fine with it, for all the stories of disincentives their are also stories of oppurtunity because you dont punish kids for the sins of their parents.

kids are sometimes contrary creatures who reject their parents world, my missus comes from a hippy parent and she used the minimum income and education to get herself out of that world, other kids i know had strict conservative parents and became useless hippies to spite them (which is actually her mothers story).

for me, the economic liberalism is all the rules and regulations, the licenses that stop startups and small business competing fairly with the established players, the comfy game played between the corporates and the government departments were they both make each other requirements of the system.

queue lots of hyperbole about untrained operators causing problems, but in my world paperwork is not trusted much anyway, trust is created by word of mouth recommendations, portfolios of previous work and face to face interviews and a hell of a lot of semi skilled work that historically could be picked up in the first few weeks of employment with in house training is now illegal without the correct license... poor unemployed people cant take risks on expensive training with the hope of being able to get job with it, its a stupid idea that only makes sense to middle class sheltered twits.

obviously some things, like surgery do benefit from proper education but i still rely on recommendations as much as anything else, paperwork proves nothing.
ultracrepidarian