Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
kmich

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by kmich »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Thanks for the updates.

NASA | Where''s Webb?

The remarkable design and engineering of the James Webb telescope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICaAEXDJQQ

aICaAEXDJQQ
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Webb Mirror Segment Deployments Complete
Today, the James Webb Space Telescope team completed the mirror segment deployments. As part of this effort, the motors made over a million revolutions this week, controlled through 20 cryogenic electronics boxes on the telescope. The mirror deployment team incrementally moved all 132 actuators located on the back of the primary mirror segments and secondary mirror. The primary mirror segments were driven 12.5 millimeters away from the telescope structure. Using six motors that deploy each segment approximately half the length of a paper clip, these actuators clear the mirrors from their launch restraints and give each segment enough space to later be adjusted in other directions to the optical starting position for the upcoming wavefront alignment process. The 18 radius of curvature (ROC) actuators were moved from their launch position as well. Even against beryllium’s strength, which is six times greater than that of steel, these ROC actuators individually shape the curvature of each mirror segment to set the initial parabolic shape of the primary mirror.

Next up in the wavefront process, we will be moving mirrors in the micron and nanometer ranges to reach the final optical positions for an aligned telescope. The process of telescope alignment will take approximately three months.

—Erin Wolf, James Webb Space Telescope Program Manager, Ball Aerospace
kmich

Post by kmich »

Orbital Insertion Burn a Success, Webb Arrives at L2
Today, at 2 p.m. EST, Webb fired its onboard thrusters for nearly five minutes (297 seconds) to complete the final postlaunch course correction to Webb’s trajectory. This mid-course correction burn inserted Webb toward its final orbit around the second Sun-Earth Lagrange point, or L2, nearly 1 million miles away from the Earth.

The final mid-course burn added only about 3.6 miles per hour (1.6 meters per second) – a mere walking pace – to Webb’s speed, which was all that was needed to send it to its preferred “halo” orbit around the L2 point.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

L2 - Lagrange point 2.

Joseph-Louis Lagrange
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Director’s Discretionary Early Release Science Programs
To realize the James Webb Space Telescope’s full science potential, it is imperative that the science community quickly learns to use its instruments and capabilities. To get the community up to speed, STScI and the JWST Advisory Committee developed the Director’s Discretionary-Early Release Science (DD-ERS) program.

The DD-ERS observations will take place during the first 5 months of JWST science operations, following the 6-month commissioning period. The program selections were made in November 2017 and represent six science categories...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Supernova happening now live (just a prediction)

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Gaia data release 3: exploring our multi-dimensional Milky Way

Post by Doc »

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration ... ey_to_date
Gaia sees strange stars in most detailed Milky Way survey to date
13/06/2022
81 LIKE

Gaia’s data release 3 contains new and improved details for almost two billion stars in our galaxy. The catalogue includes new information including chemical compositions, stellar temperatures, colours, masses, ages, and the speed at which stars move towards or away from us (radial velocity). Much of this information was revealed by the newly released spectroscopy data, a technique in which the starlight is split into its constituent colours (like a rainbow). The data also includes special subsets of stars, like those that change brightness over time.

Also new in this data set is the largest catalogue yet of binary stars, thousands of Solar System objects such as asteroids and moons of planets, and millions of galaxies and quasars outside the Milky Way.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

"The people's scientist" Qian Xuesen
The man the US deported
who then helped China into space

:lol: .. very funny

"He was one of the most prominent scientists in America. He had contributed so much and could have contributed much more. So it's not just humiliation but also a sense of betrayal," says the journalist and writer, Tianyu Fang.

Qian arrived as a hero in China but was not immediately admitted into the Chinese Communist Party. His record was not impeccable. His wife was the aristocratic daughter of a Nationalist leader, and until Qian's fall from grace he'd been living happily in America - he'd even taken the first steps towards applying for citizenship.

Most American scientist are foreigners .. Chinese, Germans , Iranians, Indians :lol:
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:43 am .

"The people's scientist" Qian Xuesen
The man the US deported
who then helped China into space

:lol: .. very funny
Not funny. Western political control through scientific academia. Most world scientists are western trained and handled by western intelligence.

Even in Iran.

"He was one of the most prominent scientists in America. He had contributed so much and could have contributed much more. So it's not just humiliation but also a sense of betrayal," says the journalist and writer, Tianyu Fang.

Qian arrived as a hero in China but was not immediately admitted into the Chinese Communist Party. His record was not impeccable. His wife was the aristocratic daughter of a Nationalist leader, and until Qian's fall from grace he'd been living happily in America - he'd even taken the first steps towards applying for citizenship.

Most American scientist are foreigners .. Chinese, Germans , Iranians, Indians :lol:
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

World’s oldest trees reveal the largest solar storm in history
1859’s Carrington event gave us a preview of how catastrophic the Sun could be for humanity. But it could get even worse than we imagined.

While humanity reckons with many problems here on Earth — war, political turmoil, an ongoing pandemic, all alongside the energy, climate, and water crises — it’s important to remember just how relentless the Universe can be. While earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters haven’t exactly ceased in the meantime, there’s a looming threat for which we’re completely unprepared: a solar storm. Without any mitigations, widespread electrical fires and power station failures could come with damages costing of trillions of dollars, impacting the lives of of billions.

Historically, the largest recorded solar event occurred back in 1859: the Carrington event. But more than a millennium prior to that, an even stronger cosmic event struck Earth. We know this because, back in the years spanning 774–775, there was a tremendous spike in the presence of carbon-14 in Earth’s atmosphere, and the evidence is found in tree rings all across the world. After a full decade investigating the possible causes of this spike, the scientific conclusion we’ve reached is that the Sun was to blame. A solar storm from more than 1200 years ago may have been the most powerful one recorded in natural history. The Earth, as a result, may be at an even greater risk from a worst-case solar storm than anyone thought possible.
Typhoon

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope | Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

7K2J-cO_tOI
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

"Schrodinger's" Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjcuQzZD7vI

vjcuQzZD7vI
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/orga ... 75176.html
‘Diverse organic matter’ found on Mars by Nasa rover

Researchers are unable to rule out that the materials have a “biotic” origin, or are the result of life on the planet.
Well lets hope that it is of biotic origin rather than life as that would mean that sending spacecraft to Mars has stirred up a hornet's nest which would explain all the UAP's we have been seeing.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

https://asiatimes.com/2023/09/saying-go ... -big-bang/

https://asiatimes.com/2020/11/the-big-b ... sion-will/

Interesting

What "Big Bang" theory did not address was, what was BEFORE "Big Bang" , how things looked before .. and .. how long "that" , B4, lasted .. and before that too

There no acceptable explanation making sense .. once we so far, "creationist" step forward :lol:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »