Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Simple Minded »

good aliens to save us, bad aliens to conquer us, the big asteroid, the return of planet X, or cover up of the secret space program........

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 45090.html
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:good aliens to save us, bad aliens to conquer us, the big asteroid, the return of planet X, or cover up of the secret space program........

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 45090.html
The rumour I've read is that the site has been hacked by aliens, but of the terrestrial variety.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | A New Test for the Leading Big Bang Theory
Cosmologists have predicted the existence of an oscillating signal that could distinguish between cosmic inflation and alternative theories of the universe’s birth.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/onl ... hed-aliens
With no luck so far in a six-decade search for signals from aliens, you’d be forgiven for thinking, “Where is everyone?”

A new calculation shows that if space is an ocean, we’ve barely dipped in a toe. The volume of observable space combed so far for E.T. is comparable to searching the volume of a large hot tub for evidence of fish in Earth’s oceans, astronomer Jason Wright at Penn State and colleagues say in a paper posted online September 19 at arXiv.org.

“If you looked at a random hot tub’s worth of water in the ocean, you wouldn’t always expect a fish,” Wright says.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Honest scientist, big bang is not very solid.

Z8B_aQnpsAY
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Z8B_aQnpsAY

Honest scientist, big bang is not very solid.
The erroneously inferred implication, from the video, that most scientists who work on the big bang models and measurements are somehow not "honest" is a strawman.

"Our models don't make sense past a point."

It is well known as one runs the clock backwards and the universe compresses, the opposite of the observed expansion, then at a certain time the spacetime curvature becomes so large that quantum mechanical effects should become important. However, there is no quantum theory of gravity to-date.
noddy

Post by noddy »

congrats to NASA for getting a new robot on Mars.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-27/ ... y/10557080
The Mars InSight lander has touched down on the dusty Red Planet after sailing 548 million kilometres over a six-month voyage through deep space.

Key points:
InSight will be the first to study Mars' inner secrets
Spacecraft is equipped with instruments to detect planetary heat and seismic rumblings
InSight marks the 21st Mars mission launched by United States
The landing, which took place just before 7:00am AEDT, saw the NASA spacecraft hurtle through the top of Mars' thin atmosphere at 19,795km per hour.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Waste of money. They could have had the guy with the cell phone just call in the data.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

An impressive achievement for NASA and its collaborators given that the success rate for Mars missions is about 40%.

However, there may be problems:
46795871_2580745038609854_7222456991099125760_n.jpg
46795871_2580745038609854_7222456991099125760_n.jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
NASA should have also sent a rabbit with the Right Stuff as insurance.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Gaia probe data visualized

LOJ1XmbSKhM
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Astronomy | Yesteryear's tomorrows
By the late 1940s, a grand plan for conquering space was already on paper. Why it didn't transpire as planned offers food for thought today.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:Astronomy | Yesteryear's tomorrows
By the late 1940s, a grand plan for conquering space was already on paper. Why it didn't transpire as planned offers food for thought today.
dead article :/

http://www.astronomy.com/not-found.aspx ... te=website
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Link now fixed. Thank you.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Hoagland always tells a great tale:

LF9EBcNapuw
noddy

Post by noddy »

doin his bit to keep mars interesting i spose :)
Hoagland claims the source of a so-called NASA "coverup", with relation to the "Face on Mars" and other related structures, is the result of a report commissioned by NASA authored by the Brookings Institution, the so-called Brookings Report. The 1960 report, entitled "Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs," is claimed by Hoagland, on page 216 of the report, to instruct NASA to deliberately withhold from the public any evidence it may find of extraterrestrial activity, specifically, on the moon, Mars or Venus.

Hoagland has also proposed a form of physics he calls "hyperdimensional physics",[24][25] which he claims represents a more complete implementation of James Clerk Maxwell's original 20 quaternion equations,[26] instead of the original Maxwell's equations as amended by Oliver Heaviside commonly taught today.[27] These ideas are rejected by the mainstream physics community as unfounded.[28][29][30][31][32]

Hoagland claims the "Face on Mars" is part of a city built on Cydonia Planitia consisting of very large pyramids and mounds arranged in a geometric pattern.[33] To Hoagland, this is evidence that an advanced civilization might once have existed on Mars.[33] In the years since its discovery, the "face" has been near-universally accepted as an optical illusion,[11] an example of the psychological phenomenon of pareidolia.[28][34][35] Similar optical illusions can be found in the geology of Earth;[36] examples include the Old Man of the Mountain, the Pedra da Gávea, and Stac Levenish.[37]

Although the Pioneer 10 plaque was designed entirely by Carl Sagan, Linda Salzman Sagan, and Frank Drake,[38] Hoagland has inaccurately asserted that he co-created the plaque with Eric Burgess.[39] In 1990, Hoagland tried to take credit for the plaque, asserting that "Carl for many years has been taking public credit for the Pioneer plaque which, of course, Eric Burgess and I conceived."[40] Later that year Hoagland went so far as to claim he designed the plaque when he said "Carl... was involved with Eric Burgess and me in the design of [the] message."[40] Burgess' own account is at odds with Hoagland's design claims, stating that "The design itself was created by Carl Sagan and Frank Drake, with the artistic help of Sagan’s then-wife Linda Salzman Sagan", without mentioning Hoagland at all.[41] Sagan's own correspondense regarding the matter also contradict Hoagland's claims, specifically saying that "he did not contribute one bit of data towards the message design."[42] Burgess recalls similarly, adding that all Hoagland did with regard to the plaque "was support me and say it's a good idea."[40] And yet Hoagland's website still incorrectly credits him as 'co-creator of the "Pioneer Plaque"'[43]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Hoagland
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote:doin his bit to keep mars interesting i spose :)
Hoagland claims the source of a so-called NASA "coverup", with relation to the "Face on Mars" and other related structures, is the result of a report commissioned by NASA authored by the Brookings Institution, the so-called Brookings Report. The 1960 report, entitled "Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities for Human Affairs," is claimed by Hoagland, on page 216 of the report, to instruct NASA to deliberately withhold from the public any evidence it may find of extraterrestrial activity, specifically, on the moon, Mars or Venus.

Hoagland has also proposed a form of physics he calls "hyperdimensional physics",[24][25] which he claims represents a more complete implementation of James Clerk Maxwell's original 20 quaternion equations,[26] instead of the original Maxwell's equations as amended by Oliver Heaviside commonly taught today.[27] These ideas are rejected by the mainstream physics community as unfounded.[28][29][30][31][32]

Hoagland claims the "Face on Mars" is part of a city built on Cydonia Planitia consisting of very large pyramids and mounds arranged in a geometric pattern.[33] To Hoagland, this is evidence that an advanced civilization might once have existed on Mars.[33] In the years since its discovery, the "face" has been near-universally accepted as an optical illusion,[11] an example of the psychological phenomenon of pareidolia.[28][34][35] Similar optical illusions can be found in the geology of Earth;[36] examples include the Old Man of the Mountain, the Pedra da Gávea, and Stac Levenish.[37]

Although the Pioneer 10 plaque was designed entirely by Carl Sagan, Linda Salzman Sagan, and Frank Drake,[38] Hoagland has inaccurately asserted that he co-created the plaque with Eric Burgess.[39] In 1990, Hoagland tried to take credit for the plaque, asserting that "Carl for many years has been taking public credit for the Pioneer plaque which, of course, Eric Burgess and I conceived."[40] Later that year Hoagland went so far as to claim he designed the plaque when he said "Carl... was involved with Eric Burgess and me in the design of [the] message."[40] Burgess' own account is at odds with Hoagland's design claims, stating that "The design itself was created by Carl Sagan and Frank Drake, with the artistic help of Sagan’s then-wife Linda Salzman Sagan", without mentioning Hoagland at all.[41] Sagan's own correspondense regarding the matter also contradict Hoagland's claims, specifically saying that "he did not contribute one bit of data towards the message design."[42] Burgess recalls similarly, adding that all Hoagland did with regard to the plaque "was support me and say it's a good idea."[40] And yet Hoagland's website still incorrectly credits him as 'co-creator of the "Pioneer Plaque"'[43]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Hoagland
Hmmm and I can truthfully say that I have been studying the Universe over the last 11.7 billion years. But you doesn't have to call me Hoagland ;)
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Experiment 104 years in the making: The first image of a black hole live:

lnJi0Jy692w
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

More on the first direct observation of the event horizon of a black hole.

Siegel | Black Holes Are Real And Spectacular, And So Are Their Event Horizons
https _blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2019_04_A-Consensus-1200x699.jpg
https _blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2019_04_A-Consensus-1200x699.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
In April of 2017, all 8 of the telescopes/telescope arrays associated with the Event Horizon Telescope pointed at Messier 87.
This is what a supermassive black hole looks like, and the event horizon is clearly visible.
Event Horizon Telescope collaboration et al.
So, what did we learn?

Well, there are a bunch of things we've learned, and there will be many stories about the different details and nuances that come out over the coming days and weeks. But there are four big takeaways that anyone should be able to appreciate.

First and most importantly, black holes really do exist. People have concocted all sorts of bizarre schemes and scenarios to avoid them, but the first direct image of an event horizon should put all of those doubts to rest. Not only do we have all the indirect evidence from LIGO, gravitational measurements of orbits around the galactic center, and the data from X-ray binaries, but we now have an image of the event horizon directly.

Second and almost as mind-blowing, General Relativity wins again. Einstein's theory predicted that the event horizon would be spherical, rather than oblate or prolate, and that the region devoid of radiation would be of a particular size based on the measured mass of the black hole. The innermost stable circular orbit, predicted by General Relativity, shows the bright photons that are the last to escape from the black hole's gravitational pull.

Once again, General Relativity, even when subject to a new test, emerged undefeated.

Third, we learned that our simulations for predicting what the radio emissions around the black hole should look like were really, really good! This tells us that we not only understand the environments around black holes very well, but that we understand the dynamics of matter and gas that orbit it. That's a pretty spectacular achievement.

And fourth, we learned that the mass of the black hole that we inferred from gravitational observations are correct, and the mass of the black hole that we inferred from X-ray observations are systematically too low. For M87, these estimates differed by a factor of 2; for Sagittarius A*, they differed by a factor of 1.5.
56569086_1989160171196271_5960325815458594816_n.jpg
56569086_1989160171196271_5960325815458594816_n.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
56998317_1989160304529591_7762172438464430080_n.jpg
56998317_1989160304529591_7762172438464430080_n.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve.

John A. Wheeler's succinct summary of Einstein's theory of general relativity
Doc

Post by Doc »

Replay of the European press conference. Another first - at times the some of the scientists are fighting back tears.

Dr20f19czeE
Doc

Post by Doc »

The resolution of the EHT is the equivalent of reading the date on a quarter in LA from Washington DC. They have confirmed Einstein relativity to that resolution. They are saying that they plan to increase the resolution by adding additional telescopes and looking at higher frequencies.

One of the scientists said he was somewhat shocked that the predictions match the reality to the degree that they do.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Personally, I find the term "black hole" to be both offensive and racist. I prefer the terms "hole of non-color," or "hole noir."

or perhaps a "hole with no light privilege."
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
Exodus 33:23; KJV
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
Exodus 33:23; KJV
We're looking at God's anus?

The competition for the funding of a colonoscopy should be yuge. Are the grant application forms online yet?

Biblical prophesy of a sign of the End Times?
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.