Astronomy and Space

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
noddy

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by noddy »

i think musk and bezos desires are quite obvious if you look at it from the frustrated megalomaniac utopia point of view.

Imagine a world with no existing politics or culture, with a hand selected group of ubermensch who bow to you and your desires and you can do whatever you want with zero oversight or influence from earthly authorities.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Succinctly best explained by a dead white guy:

KNQRqJitqNI
well said, even though I struggled to understand his Australian accent, shoulda got a dead white Merkin to say it.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:i think musk and bezos desires are quite obvious if you look at it from the frustrated megalomaniac utopia point of view.

Imagine a world with no existing politics or culture, with a hand selected group of ubermensch who bow to you and your desires and you can do whatever you want with zero oversight or influence from earthly authorities.
Bingo. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

John Galt has Galt's gulch, T'Challa has Wakanda, I have SimpleMindedStan.... illegal aliens have cages just inside the US border..... uncivilized barbarians have blue cities..... every body needs a place to call home.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

New theory of origin of Earth's water -- Theia

RB5eUdHub8M

BTW if you have not seen Anton Petrov's You tube feed before it is a daily feed mostly covering science discovery news. Usually it is worth watching.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Kepler's forgotten ideas about symmetry help explain spiral galaxies without the need for dark matter
The 17th-century astronomer Johannes Kepler was the first to muse about the structure of snowflakes. Why are they so symmetrical? How does one side know how long the opposite side has grown? Kepler thought it was all down to what we would now call a "morphogenic field" – that things want to have the form they have. Science has since discounted this idea. But the question of why snowflakes and similar structures are so symmetrical is nevertheless not entirely understood.
We have shown that information and "entropy"—a measure of the disorder of a system—are linked together ("info-entropy") in a way exactly analogous to electric and magnetic fields ("electromagnetism"). Electric currents produce magnetic fields, while changing magnetic fields produce electric currents. Information and entropy influence each other in the same way.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Colonel Sun wrote:Kepler's forgotten ideas about symmetry help explain spiral galaxies without the need for dark matter
The 17th-century astronomer Johannes Kepler was the first to muse about the structure of snowflakes. Why are they so symmetrical? How does one side know how long the opposite side has grown? Kepler thought it was all down to what we would now call a "morphogenic field" – that things want to have the form they have. Science has since discounted this idea. But the question of why snowflakes and similar structures are so symmetrical is nevertheless not entirely understood.
We have shown that information and "entropy"—a measure of the disorder of a system—are linked together ("info-entropy") in a way exactly analogous to electric and magnetic fields ("electromagnetism"). Electric currents produce magnetic fields, while changing magnetic fields produce electric currents. Information and entropy influence each other in the same way.
there's a real kicker at the end of that article! Thank you, CS.
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Perseids tonight!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Stupid question maybe someone here has an answer for:

Let's say we came across a totally burnt-out star we had easy access to, what uses could we make of it?

---------------

I leafed through a popular science magazine a week or two back, and they had (probably) article 19 million about alien speculation. The twist this time is that perhaps we haven't come across them because they are hibernating. The amount of energy they need to run their advance civilizations requires a cooler universe, so they'll sleep it off 'til the universe gets to be the right temperature for them.

The first thought which popped in my mind was that a cooler universe is also a darker one...super advanced hibernatin' aliens probably would draw up plans for what do with dead star-stuff before their big nap. But I'm sorta drawing a blank on what that would look like beyond some very obvious ones. And search engines are no good for me on this brain fart.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

my first thought is that the surface gravity is going to be non trivial.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Question:

The universe is expanding fast than the speed of light. They say the universe is 13 billion years old but at least 92 billion light years in diameter. Plus one other thing traveling faster than the speed of light involves going backwards in time. IE approach the speed of light and time slows down. Exceed it and you are traveling backwards in time. So if the universe expanding faster than the speed of light, is it expanding towards the big bang?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm Question:

The universe is expanding fast than the speed of light. They say the universe is 13 billion years old but at least 92 billion light years in diameter. Plus one other thing traveling faster than the speed of light involves going backwards in time. IE approach the speed of light and time slows down. Exceed it and you are traveling backwards in time. So if the universe expanding faster than the speed of light, is it expanding towards the big bang?
The short answer is no.

A more detailed explanation.

Siegel | Can The Universe Ever Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light?
noddy

Post by noddy »

that made me think of beams of light going in opposite directions, which was a rabbit hole of physics babble

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/l ... ons.67852/
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... -direction

--
babble in the sense that massive scale and our comfortable scale on plane earth dont relate.
on a mathmatical level, I get that a super large number can be ignored when you are playing with scale on the tiny percantages of decimal fractions.
Last edited by noddy on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:06 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm Question:

The short answer is no.

A more detailed explanation.

Siegel | Can The Universe Ever Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light?
I thought the answer was somethibg along these lines but it like using a hammer to cure a head ache.

Related videos from Fermi Lab
vIJTwYOZrGU
BhG_QZl8WVY
Doc

Post by Doc »

The first part of this video is a little dated, but gets interesting about here(seems that the minimum number to create a black hole is 2980N per 10^-99 cm^2 ~ .00001 grams):

https://youtu.be/QfOF0bRBFJ4?t=1755

QfOF0bRBFJ4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Reference Frame | Why LIGO measures distances much shorter than a proton

Luboš Motl, in his customary diplomatic manner, explains why the LIGO gravitational detector works.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/scie ... rings.html
Infinite Visions Were Hiding in the First Black Hole Image’s Rings

Scientists proposed a technique that would allow us to see more of the unseeable.
Juno

mind blowing

Post by Juno »

two black holes in a binary system -- 1 supermassive one that is 150 million masses of the sun orbiting around another one that is ultra massive and about 18 billion times the mass of the sun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id06A5_-Qf8
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | The Hidden Magnetic Universe Begins to Come Into View
Astronomers are discovering that magnetic fields permeate much of the cosmos. If these fields date back to the Big Bang, they could solve a major cosmological mystery.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

UEO77UEFGT4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

nyQOyiYnz7Y

5F5aoC66cpY
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

fApKpDGGDYk
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

this might explain Trump Derangement Syndrome since 2016. it's a truth that the moon makes some people temporarily insane.

https://www.sciencealert.com/earth-migh ... econd-moon
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

oHcMvF-nP2s