National Credit Union

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Enki

National Credit Union

Post by Enki »

What if a country had a central bank that was a for-profit institution and every single citizen were a shareholder?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Endovelico

Re: National Credit Union

Post by Endovelico »

Enki wrote:What if a country had a central bank that was a for-profit institution and every single citizen were a shareholder?
Heavens, no! Banking should never be allowed to be a for profit activity. Banks profits are incentives to speculation, and just shift money from the productive sector to the speculative, non productive sector.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i like my credit unions small and simple, im fully prepared to have higher interest rates and harder access to credit in exchange for simpler models that are less risky.

i also like them independant of each other so if the culture in one goes bad, i have the ability to move my savings to another one which isnt smoking the new age finance crack pipe.

i dont have much savings but the little i do i have is in a small local credit union
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:i like my credit unions small and simple, im fully prepared to have higher interest rates and harder access to credit in exchange for simpler models that are less risky.

i also like them independant of each other so if the culture in one goes bad, i have the ability to move my savings to another one which isnt smoking the new age finance crack pipe.

i dont have much savings but the little i do i have is in a small local credit union
Amazing how much differently people steward there own resources than the resources of others init?

I recall reading an article about how wise the German banks were for only lending 60% of the value of a house, requiring membership at the bank, and requiring years of steady paycheck deposits before they would write a mortgage.

Reminded me of the US mortgage/banking industry..... back in the good ole days.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Enki wrote:What if a country had a central bank that was a for-profit institution and every single citizen were a shareholder?
You mean like the Federal Reserve Banks in the USA? Oh, no, wait, those for-profit banks are owned by, directed by, and pay dividends to private banks. My bad.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

We already do. Whatever profit the Fed makes is turned over to the Treasury, theoretically reducing current and expected taxes.
cultivate a white rose