So the Zimmerman thing looks like a legal shoot.

noddy

Re: So the Zimmerman thing looks like a legal shoot.

Post by noddy »

i blame the gated communities that hire gun wielding thugs to keep out the "others"

repulsive sterile places full of quite hideous human beings, both the victims in this case are just chess pieces in the fear worshipping middle class war on everything that isnt them.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The gated community in question was suffering from a rash of burglaries.

When you have criminal activity in your hood what do you do noddy?
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

i live in a high crime area, ive had several car windows smashed and things inside it stolen and all my neighbours in my current location have had breakins over the last decade.

i have big dogs, i have some lovely iron frypans and hefty meat cleavers and i hope that if it does happen, it happens when im not home so ill just get mad then get over it...

failing that ill stand at the door with my kitchen weapons and with the ugliest face i can muster and see what happens... or hide out back, does depend where im at and how it all goes down.

i most certainly wouldnt want to call the police or hire armed guards every time a rough looking kid walked past, it would happen many times a day and id probably end up busted myself.

most teenagers and many adults look rough in my area and many of those are really gentle, using clothes as costumes that keep the a-holes away.

completely different worlds, and i wouldnt want to live with the gated ones for all the money in the world... they are more my political enemies than any left/right arguments, its them thats trying to legislate their way to paradise making everything that isnt middle class and scared, illegal.

edit:

do you think having some robberies justifies treating all people on the street as potential perps ?

i do wonder what the job description and role of the security guard was, this would be interesting reading and would expose my prejudices.. or confirm them :P
Last edited by noddy on Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well I guess the standards just change depending on where you are. I live in a low crime, no gated area.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

"Gated" Communities vs. GATED Communities

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:i blame the gated communities that hire gun wielding thugs to keep out the "others"

repulsive sterile places full of quite hideous human beings, both the victims in this case are just chess pieces in the fear worshipping middle class war on everything that isnt them.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Noddy.

There are "gated" communities and there are GATED communities......

Zimmerman's neighborhood reminds me of one of my old ones........

I have lived in a "gated" community.......

Not a bad place........Not a bad place......but people moving in and out constantly......

The gate was a joke...... Was open most of the time because it didn't work and when it did people wanted to get to work/home quickly.

The bar was broken constantly..... most likely by people talking on their cell phones :roll:

Got worse after they took out the speed bumps......... They slow people down better than police........

The fences were jokes too...... People constantly climbing over, under or through.......

We had an in residence cop... who got reduced rent.... Still had things stolen and nobody saw who......

He wasn't there all of the time........

Wish we had had a Neighborhood Watch and a Zimmerman willing to help.........

As have said before, you (and your neighbors) have to protect yourself. The police are usually after the fact. They may slow down crime but can't stop it...
Last edited by monster_gardener on Tue May 22, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Ten to twelve years ago, when they were building these POS " communities " everywhere, I told people that were moving into them that they got in on the backside of a trend. I told them, when we watched them go up like mushrooms in the Wekiva basin ( where this place is), that their particle board castles would become Tyvek- clad instaslums. I said those things would be mini-Cabrini Greens, and I was right. $250-400k " mansions" built with all the forethought of a Barbie house.

Now, the houses are literally falling apart and people are upside down by a factor of five. It's not a recipe for good police protection- there are miles and miles of these places, they all look alike, and the socioeconomic base is such that you have middle class ( new reality: people struggling to stay out of poverty) living next to confirmed rats that are just staying in a place until they get evicted again.
monster_gardener

Neighborhood Watches vs. Neighborhood Associations......

noddy wrote:i live in a high crime area, ive had several car windows smashed and things inside it stolen and all my neighbours in my current location have had breakins over the last decade.

i have big dogs, i have some lovely iron frypans and hefty meat cleavers and i hope that if it does happen, it happens when im not home so ill just get mad then get over it...

failing that ill stand at the door with my kitchen weapons and with the ugliest face i can muster and see what happens... or hide out back, does depend where im at and how it all goes down.

i most certainly wouldnt want to call the police or hire armed guards every time a rough looking kid walked past, it would happen many times a day and id probably end up busted myself.

most teenagers and many adults look rough in my area and many of those are really gentle, using clothes as costumes that keep the a-holes away.

completely different worlds, and i wouldnt want to live with the gated ones for all the money in the world... they are more my political enemies than any left/right arguments, its them thats trying to legislate their way to paradise making everything that isnt middle class and scared, illegal.

edit:

do you think having some robberies justifies treating all people on the street as potential perps ?

i do wonder what the job description and role of the security guard was, this would be interesting reading and would expose my prejudices.. or confirm them :P
its them thats trying to legislate their way to paradise making everything that isnt middle class and scared, illegal.
You don't even need to have a real gate....... Can be two pillars on each side of the road and maybe a clubhouse with pool........

Neighborhood Associations (NAs) often get governed by control freaks because the rest of Uz don't get involved enough. The NAs can try to stop you from flying a flag, having a high fence, gardening the way you like or putting a playhouse out for your kids.....

But sometimes you have to understand that there is a cost for almost everything........

I prefer freedom.........the cost may be neighbors who have cars on blocks in the front yard for years and similar that kills property values if you need to sell the house and move....

Still would like to have a Neighborhood Watch to watch for criminals and a diligent watch captain like Zimmerman...
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

If we're going to gripe about American suburban planning, I'm in. Everthing about it sucks (and we copy it here for the most part too). I don't know that anything about the Martin shooting is really specific to gated communities, but that is only the tip of the iceberg.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Ibrahim wrote:If we're going to gripe about American suburban planning, I'm in. Everthing about it sucks (and we copy it here for the most part too). I don't know that anything about the Martin shooting is really specific to gated communities, but that is only the tip of the iceberg.
Your antipathy to everything American is soooo Canadian it hurts. ;)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:If we're going to gripe about American suburban planning, I'm in. Everthing about it sucks (and we copy it here for the most part too). I don't know that anything about the Martin shooting is really specific to gated communities, but that is only the tip of the iceberg.
Your antipathy to everything American is soooo Canadian it hurts. ;)

:lol: . . :lol: . . . so true, so true . . . . so funny . . :lol:
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Neighborhood Watches vs. Neighborhood Associations......

monster_gardener wrote:
noddy wrote:i live in a high crime area, ive had several car windows smashed and things inside it stolen and all my neighbours in my current location have had breakins over the last decade.

edit:

its them thats trying to legislate their way to paradise making everything that isnt middle class and scared, illegal.
You don't even need to have a real gate....... Can be two pillars on each side of the road and maybe a clubhouse with pool........

Neighborhood Associations (NAs) often get governed by control freaks because the rest of Uz don't get involved enough. The NAs can try to stop you from flying a flag, having a high fence, gardening the way you like or putting a playhouse out for your kids.....

But sometimes you have to understand that there is a cost for almost everything........

I prefer freedom.........the cost may be neighbors who have cars on blocks in the front yard for years and similar that kills property values if you need to sell the house and move....

Still would like to have a Neighborhood Watch to watch for criminals and a diligent watch captain like Zimmerman...

I really lucked out in where I grew up and where I live now are places were crime is unheard of. I could probably leave my front door open for the next twenty days and not have to worry about burglary.

The only thing I ever had stolen from me were He-Man toys and baseball cards in pre-school. It was devastating, but I overcame the loss while learning that pre-school is a rough and tumble type of world. ;)

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where a gun for self-protection would come in handy. I've been in some bad areas and I understand the need for protection but my habits from the experience of where I was raised makes resorting to firearms something very unnatural and foreign to my thinking.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

youtube scrubbed it yet again. Why would they do that I wonder.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Mr. Perfect wrote:youtube scrubbed it yet again. Why would they do that I wonder.

Inconvenient to the "Whitey is Bad!" narrative.
Been busy doing stuff
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Your antipathy to everything American is soooo Canadian it hurts.
I'm so anti-American I just agreed with Americans who were shitting on modern suburban planning.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

It cracks me up how much of a fuss is being made over Martin's online presence. I grew up with white, Canadian, not-at-all scary kids who were listening to 90's gangster rap every day and doing all the same things, and if we'd had facebook and twitter at the time you can believe there would be some pasty Celtic Canadians flashing gang signs online. They're all yuppies now.

But if you're black in America and you flipped off your webcam? Well obviously you're the kind of scary black who attacks people for no reason and tries to beat them to death.

Did some amateur MMA? That's sport for white guys with bad tattoos and Brazilians. If you're a black kid, it means you're a threat to the neighborhood and some fake cop is justified in gunning you down.

It's all of the same cloth as the Geraldo "hoodie" bit. It doesn't have anything to do with the case, it just shows who is out of touch.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Ibrahim wrote:
I'm so anti-American I just agreed with Americans who were shitting on modern suburban planning.
I didn't say you were anti-American I said you have antipathy to everything American. Of course you are gonna agree with someone complaining about America- it's the Canadian way.

...let me gueess, you are wearing a big maple leaf sweater and your mouse is shaped like a hockey puck and your posting in between listening to the comedy styling of Dave Coulier? ;) I think we got 'ya pegged here Ibrahim. :P
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote:

It cracks me up how much of a fuss is being made over Martin's online presence. I grew up with white, Canadian, not-at-all scary kids who were listening to 90's gangster rap every day and doing all the same things, and if we'd had facebook and twitter at the time you can believe there would be some pasty Celtic Canadians flashing gang signs online. They're all yuppies now.

But if you're black in America and you flipped off your webcam? Well obviously you're the kind of scary black who attacks people for no reason and tries to beat them to death.

Did some amateur MMA? That's sport for white guys with bad tattoos and Brazilians. If you're a black kid, it means you're a threat to the neighborhood and some fake cop is justified in gunning you down.

It's all of the same cloth as the Geraldo "hoodie" bit. It doesn't have anything to do with the case, it just shows who is out of touch.
Out of touch with what? Things that will be used against you in the court of public opinion or law?

White parents sued white metal bands over metal inspired suicides and white Columbiners were used as a tool against the white Marilyn Manson.

You race obsession is going to bite you in the @$$ someday if it hasn't already.
monster_gardener

He-Man Unlocked Doors Invite Have/Not Need vs Need/Not Have.

monster_gardener wrote:

edit:

I really lucked out in where I grew up and where I live now are places were crime is unheard of. I could probably leave my front door open for the next twenty days and not have to worry about burglary.

The only thing I ever had stolen from me were He-Man toys and baseball cards in pre-school. It was devastating, but I overcame the loss while learning that pre-school is a rough and tumble type of world. ;)

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where a gun for self-protection would come in handy. I've been in some bad areas and I understand the need for protection but my habits from the experience of where I was raised makes resorting to firearms something very unnatural and foreign to my thinking.

Thank you Very Much for your post, NapLajoieonSteroids.

My sympathy on the loss of your He-Man gear. I was/am still a fan of the show.... What a shame it got sold to the that creepy firm from France who shut it down to avoid having to give the artists notice..... :evil: :evil: :evil:
where I live now are places were crime is unheard of. I could probably leave my front door open for the next twenty days and not have to worry about burglary.
All I can say is that so often when a burglary or worse is on the news where I live and nearby, the victims say something on the order of that......"We don't even lock our doors around here.".......... Happened again within the past month.......... :cry:

IMVHO it is better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it........

But Demon, Mr. Perfect & CDGT are more expert than me..........

FWIW,
Your Friend,
MG.......
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Ibrahim wrote:
I didn't say you were anti-American I said you have antipathy to everything American.
You've never seen me play baseball.

Of course you are gonna agree with someone complaining about America- it's the Canadian way.
You're never spent five minutes in Alberta.

listening to the comedy styling of Dave Coulier?
He's from Michigan.
cincinnatus

Post by cincinnatus »

Demon, thanks for your perspective on this. I agree no matter what outcome, no one wins. A 17-year old, whether he reacted in his own "fight or flight" mode as he realized this stocky Hispanic dude was following him, or reacted with our Culturally-inspired "tough guy" mode to Z...either way a tragedy (nothing to do with race per se, as you can find plenty of 15-25 year old low to lower-middle class whites acting the exact same way).

So, beyond the obvious difference of opinions on the case with the rest of the posters, what is the likely outcome of the course case? Conviction, acquital or hung jury? I'm leaning multiple hung-jury trails myself. All it takes is one juror to decide he/she knows Z is a murderer, regardless of the other jury members voting acquital.

And then what? LA Riots circa 1992 multiplied by a thousand across the country? Peace and reconciliation?
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Thanks for the perspectives Demon & others.

From what I remember, having a 17 year old brain, skews everything. I don't evny teenagers.

Does make one wonder if some of the reasons for fights ending after just a couple punches back in the "bad ole days" when everybody was "poor" was the influence of John Wayne and Hollywood types.....
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mm, good question Cinc. Something tells me there are more shoes to fall so I wouldn't predict anything. What we know now makes it really difficult to justify charging him, so SOMETHING else has to be going on.

Polls show public opinion moving over to Z, although that of course has no relation to population the jury pool will come from.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

cincinnatus wrote:Demon, thanks for your perspective on this. I agree no matter what outcome, no one wins. A 17-year old, whether he reacted in his own "fight or flight" mode as he realized this stocky Hispanic dude was following him, or reacted with our Culturally-inspired "tough guy" mode to Z...either way a tragedy (nothing to do with race per se, as you can find plenty of 15-25 year old low to lower-middle class whites acting the exact same way).
Explain "culturally inspired" for me. If, as is possible, Zimmerman physically accosted or attacked Martin, what was he supposed to do? In what cultures do people placidly accept being accosted by strangers with obedience and timidity? And should those cultures be emulated?
Marcus

Placid people . . . .

Post by Marcus »

Ibrahim wrote:. . In what cultures do people placidly accept being accosted by strangers with obedience and timidity? . .

Canadian . . ? . . . :lol:
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin