Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Fear and loathing in the QT age [paywalled?]
A former Odey Asset Management economist writes
Tim Bond YESTERDAY

Tim Bond was a partner at Odey Asset Management until March 2022, having joined in 2010 as its head of macroeconomic strategy, and managed the Odey Odyssey long-short macro fund. He is now senior non-executive director at The Law Debenture Corporation.

“You are effing useless,” was the informed verdict from management, as they myopically closed my hedge fund in the middle of 2021.

To be fair, the markets apparently held a similar opinion of my abilities. Anyone who had predicated their investments on rampant inflation and a dual bear market in bonds and equities was not looking too clever at that point.

Yet the call had seemed the most obvious of my career. Mixing massive money printing with massive fiscal easing can only ever have one possible outcome. Even the details about the LDI-inspired collapse in the gilt market were obvious enough, once you spent a few hours digging out the facts and applied a modicum of common sense. In fact, the only unexpected bit was me no longer running a fund when it all eventually happened. Effing useless, indeed.

It’s tempting today to assume that the worst might be over, at least for the markets, as monetary tightening precipitates an inflation-busting recession and the world returns to a familiar lowflation landscape. As likely as it might seem, such an outlook is impossible. The underlying economic condition of a structural slowdown in trend growth rates has not gone away.

What has gone away is our ability to hide the problem. QE, negative interest rates and rising indebtedness were the product and palliative of a condition caused by a prolonged deceleration in productivity growth to an average pace not seen since the 19th century.

Real wages stagnated for several decades on the back of this deceleration, whilst asset prices soared due to the evaporation of risk-free interest rates. By redistributing shares of wealth and income to the high-saving top 10 per cent, the economic mix ensured that demand and inflation fell short, simultaneously dismantling the social contract that keeps politics non-toxic. Meanwhile, zero interest rates worsened the productivity slowdown by artificially prolonging the lifespan of the least productive enterprises.

Then came Covid. In an economic condition of parlous growth, most developed countries responded to the shock by spending money, largely financed by central bank printing presses — some 13 per cent of GDP in the UK, 21 per cent in the US. This was a live experiment with the magic money tree, a policy long advocated as an antidote for the slow growth condition.

The net result, with a supply side constrained by negligible productivity growth, deglobalisation, geopolitical instability and the exigencies of the pandemic, was soaring inflation. This exercise has taught us that the monetary-fiscal escape route from slow growth is a delusion — a lesson that the inattentive Liz Truss administration in the UK was retaught in short order.

The exercise also taught us that negative real interest rates and QE are indeed potentially very inflationary. The policy palliatives of the past are therefore no longer available to mask the effects of very low trend growth rates. As such, we are left with the debt accumulated over the past decades and the question of how that debt will be serviced if trend growth rates continue to stagnate.

According to the BIS, since the start of this century, advanced economy non-financial debt (that is debt owed by governments, business and households) has risen by 86 percentage points of GDP to just shy of 300 per cent of GDP. The world has never been as levered as it is today.

When central banks were able to suppress interest rates well below the trend rate of nominal GDP growth, these magnified debt burdens were supportable. Now, with rising wages signalling a self-reinforcing inflationary cycle, our range of options has narrowed to a choice between high inflation, a debt default crisis or exceptionally painful fiscal austerity.

At considerable risk of understatement, all three of these choices will cause havoc for the ordinary citizen-voter. Indeed, when you extrapolate the likely outcomes, it becomes clear that all three present existential challenges to the social fabric. They are not, therefore, really choices at all.

There is, however, a fourth choice, which is to deal with the root problem, the long slowdown in productivity growth. To do so, countries need to dismantle the oligopolies that are suppressing innovation, eradicate the influence of corporate behemoths on self-serving regulations, wean economies off the enervating drug of cheap globalised labour forces, improve the quality of education and kill off zombie businesses. And all of this needs to be accomplished within the ever-tightening constraints imposed by our environmental degradation. There is little point in increasing output per hour if that output speeds the destruction of Spaceship Earth.

Despite the evidence of the above, I am actually an optimist. I am sure we will, eventually, stumble our way towards the right policy choices that foster an environmentally friendly acceleration in innovation, productivity and economic growth. But the process will be long and troubling, requiring a political willpower and level of general understanding of our predicament that is so far noticeably absent.

For long term investors, the true buy signal will not be some temporary peak in inflation or policy rates, but when people finally comprehend the disease, rather than the symptoms.

Financial markets are not a game; they have an important role to play in all this. Their existence is not solely justified on the basis of efficient capital allocation, but also in assisting the process of optimal policy discovery. If investors remain stupid to the reality that surrounds them, my optimism will most likely prove misplaced.

(Odey Asset Management declined to comment.)
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | A sleuth’s guide to the coming wave of corporate fraud [paywalled?]
Mischief is cyclical—it is bred in good times and uncovered in bad times
The bad news just keeps coming. Ten months after America’s stockmarket peaked, its big technology companies have suffered another rout. Hopes that the Federal Reserve might change course have been dashed; interest rates are set to rise by more than previously thought. The bond market is screaming recession. Could things get any worse? The answer is yes. Stockmarket booms of the sort that crested in January tend to engender fraud. Bad times like those that lie ahead reveal it.

“There is an inverse relationship between interest rates and dishonesty,” says Carson Block, a short-seller. Quite so. A decade of ultra-low borrowing costs has encouraged companies to load up on cheap debt. And debt can hide a lot of misdeeds. They are uncovered when credit dries up. The global financial crisis of 2007-09 exposed fraud and negligence in mortgage lending. The stockmarket bust of the early 2000s unmasked the deceptions of the dotcom bonanza and the book-cooking at Enron, WorldCom and Global Crossing. Those with longer memories in Britain will recall the Polly Peck and Maxwell scandals at the end of the go-go 1980s.

The next downturn seems likely to uncover a similar wave of corporate fraud. Fraud-busters concede that exactly where is hard to know in advance. Everyone has a favourite hunch. The rush to comply with the demands of environmental, social and governance (esg) investing seems ripe for more imbroglios; in May German police raided the offices of dws, an asset manager, over claims of greenwashing. The various government schemes to shore up businesses in the pandemic are another candidate. They were designed to be tapped quickly, so checks were by necessity lax. Evidence of fraud is already emerging.

The archetypal sin revealed by recession is accounting fraud. The big scandals play out like tragic dramas: when the plot twist arrives, it seems both surprising and inevitable. No simple formula exists to sort the number-fiddlers from the rest. But the field can be narrowed by searching within the “fraud triangle” of financial pressure, opportunity and rationalisation.

Start with pressure. This can be self-imposed. If you make the cover of Business Genius Monthly, in Mr Block’s words, “the guy on the cover becomes your identity, the ceo of a high-flying firm.” Fessing up that it isn’t flying high becomes unthinkable. Often it is the result of external expectations, says Andi McNeal of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, a 90,000-strong professional body based in Texas.

The expectations to be met, or gamed, can be regulatory: think of how bankers pulled the wool over the eyes of their watchdogs before the financial crisis; or how Volkswagen deceived environmental agencies about the pollution from its cars in the “diesel-gate” scandal. For bosses of listed firms, the external eyes to please are often those of portfolio managers, analysts and traders—and the thing doing the pleasing is accounting earnings. The stockmarket uses profits as a rough guide to how well a firm is doing and at what price its shares should change hands. Earnings “misses” can be punished brutally. The shares of Meta, owner of Facebook, lost 25% of their value after disappointing quarterly earnings last month. A lot of ceo pay is tied to share prices, creating the incentive to meet earnings forecasts.

That bosses feel pressure to deliver predictable profits is well documented. Almost all the 400 managers surveyed in the mid-2000s by John Graham, Campbell Harvey and Shiva Rajgopal, a trio of academics, confessed to a strong preference for smooth earnings. Most admitted they would delay big spending line items to meet a quarterly earnings target. More than a third said they would book revenues this quarter rather than the next, or incentivise customers to buy more earlier. The rewards for smoothing earnings have since grown. Investors attach rich valuations to the shares of dependable earners. Such “quality stocks” have sagged already (see chart). Some bosses will resort to fraud to avoid plummeting further.

Motive is not enough. The circumstances have to be right, too (or rather, wrong). Opportunity varies by jurisdiction. Where the rule of law is weak, scope to falsify accounts with impunity is wider. You should expect to find more book-cooking in emerging markets than in rich ones. Some short-sellers, such as Mr Block, examine Chinese firms listed abroad, whose accounts are hard for foreigners to verify. They landed a big target in 2020, when Luckin Coffee agreed to pay $180m to settle accounting-fraud charges in America. India is another font of scandal.

In rich countries, opportunity beckons in the latitude of accounting practices. Earnings are a slippery concept. In a simple business, like a lemonade stand, profit is the difference between the cash coming in from sales and cash going out to buy lemons. Bigger businesses must account for non-cash items, or “accruals”, such as sales that have been booked but not yet paid for. Accruals also include costs that will eventually be a drain on cash, but aren’t yet: wear and tear (depreciation) of assets, pension payments, bad debts and so on. Accruals rely on a forecast or best guess of how things will turn out. “Accountancy is full of such estimates,” says Steve Cooper, former board member of the International Accounting Standards Board, who now writes the Footnotes Analyst, a blog.

Accruals estimates can change for defensible reasons. Amazon Web Services, the e-emporium’s cloud-computing division, said in February that it would extend the working life of its servers by a year, thus lowering its depreciation costs. This is perfectly legitimate. No one knows for sure the useful life of fixed assets, such as servers (or aircraft or office buildings). Some less scrupulous firms, however, can time accruals changes to give earnings a bump, by bringing forward revenue to the present or deferring costs to the future.

Eventually, earnings must tally with cashflow. Firms that do not generate a lot of cash tend to pile on debt to disguise the fact. Corporate sleuths know this, which is one reason fraudsters go to great lengths to conceal their true debt burden. Another reason, powerful during recessions, is to avoid a downgrade from rating agencies, which would raise borrowing costs.

The side that completes the fraud triangle is rationalisation. Though some fraudsters are, as Mr Block points out, sociopaths who don’t feel the need to justify themselves to anyone, fraud is likelier to occur if ceos feel they can justify it to themselves. “Everybody does it” is something you might hear from the earnings-smoothers at the white-lie end of the accounts-fiddling spectrum. Some fraudsters tell themselves they are altruists, doing it to save jobs or investors. “This is just temporary” is another common rationalisation, says Ms McNeal.

Chef executives
Book-cooking can feel acceptable in a slump, in cases where the boss sincerely believes the business has good long-term prospects. This is what happened at one company. It was a classic story, says the executive who was brought in to clean up the mess. Business was good. The management believed they had found a recipe for success. They repeated this formula until long after it had stopped working. The pressure rose after recession struck. Costs were slashed in an effort to sustain profits. The cuts served only to hurt the business. Somehow reality had to be kept at bay. So the company began to fiddle its accounts.

How many such cases are thrown up by the next recession depends on its severity. It is easier to keep a fraudulent show on the road in a short downturn. In a prolonged one, a few sorts of corporate sinners are likely to be unmasked. The least guilty type are firms that were run with a view to meeting accounting goals, but to the long-term detriment of the business. This group includes firms so obsessed with managing earnings that they skimped on investment in capacity, new products or brands, and firms that were so intent on managing costs that they destroyed valuable relationships with suppliers or employees.

A firm that pays too much attention to accounting measures of success is not committing fraud. But such a focus may be a gateway to dodgier practices. Some high-flyers that suddenly lose altitude may decide to fiddle the numbers in the hope that the good times return. A loss of revenue is the likeliest trigger for fraud of this kind. The peculiar circumstances of the post-pandemic economy have now given rise to others, such as excess inventories or problems with suppliers going bust. The share prices of Walmart and Target fell sharply in May, after the two retailers revealed they had misjudged demand for some goods. Less honest firms may cover up mistakes of this kind rather than own up.

Then there are firms with no real business or not much of one. Wirecard, a much-feted German “fintech” firm that imploded in 2020, fits this category. So does Nikola, a startup with plans to make battery-powered lorries, whose founder, Trevor Milton, was found guilty last month by a federal court in New York of defrauding investors. By the cold light of recession, similar such examples will come to light. A lot of venture capital (vc), much of it undiscerning, has poured into untested enterprises in recent years. The valuations they were assigned in the boom years already look like fantasy; many of their business models will prove similarly fanciful.

Their vc backers may try to conceal such souring bets. Their fees are based on the value of their portfolio firms, whose equity is not frequently traded. That gives the vc fund managers wide discretion over the value (or “marks”) they place on them. The same is true of private equity. Both vc firms and private-equity firms, which focus on mature businesses, are notoriously slow in writing down these values in bad times. When a fund matures, its sponsor must usually sell companies, at which point the market value ought to be clear. But these days a lot of private-asset “exits” are sales to other private funds, including some run by the same asset manager. Clubby arrangements of this kind invite abuse.

The slow-growth, low-rate 2010s were a favourable climate for fraud to breed. Financial pressure, opportunity and rationalisation no doubt became aligned in at least a few instances. Everybody does it? Maybe. But even the “smoothing” that seems acceptable in a boom will be judged harshly in a bust.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carnegie Endowment - Michael Pettis | Why the Bezzle Matters to the Economy
The bezzle, a word coined in the 1950s by a Canadian-American economist [J. K. Galbraith], is the temporary gap between the perceived value of a portfolio of assets and its long-term economic value. Economies at times systematically create bezzle, unleashing substantial economic consequences that economists have rarely understood or discussed.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjN-JBevGfg

sjN-JBevGfg

I imagine 2023 to look like this when the global recession hits like an earthquake. A lot of derivative dog-poo, bitcoin debris and loads of hot ponzi air (in different flavors) spilling over the edges and be drained away to open sea. The pool with only half the water left when it's all over after 3 years. The bookkeeper never arrives late.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Ordinary Americans are counting the cost of thriving
Economic data disguises just how hard it has become to sustain a middle-class lifestyle
Cost-of-Thriving Index
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

banks.jpeg
banks.jpeg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

Was silly to keep interest rate @ "0" for so long time .. result is everything is balloon now

A lot of wealth must be wiped out till books balance

For a long time, CASH will be king
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

What is Peter Schiff's track record of prediction?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 am What is Peter Schiff's track record of prediction?
Schiff is a precious metals dealer.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ana:

chip wars :: whip scar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvUpkwXCTg

Some serious whipping seems coming.

https://themunicheye.com/usa-wants-to-e ... china-5097

Happy to see the CCP losing its mind... uh chimp losing its chips.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Heracleum Persicum

1.png
1.png (88.65 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
2.png
2.png (348.21 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Market Stress Snarls Trading in U.S. Treasurys
The markets for the world’s safest and most liquid assets, the government bonds issued by the U.S. and other rich countries, came under immense stress on Wednesday following a week of worries about the health of global banks.

Liquidity, the capacity to trade quickly at quoted prices, has fallen sharply in two of the keystone markets, those for U.S. Treasurys and German bunds, traders said. Difficulties in trading are now spreading to many other markets, including those for derivatives that firms and traders use to lock in prices and hedge risks weeks and months ahead of time, such as options, futures and swaps.

Traders said the turmoil, driven in part by fear that an economic reversal might be ahead, was rippling into stocks and fueling the 515-point decline Wednesday in the Dow industrials. The spreads quoted in markets for Treasurys and derivatives tied to other government bonds, reflecting the gap between quoted prices to buy and sell, were far wider on Wednesday than they were last week, the traders said.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Great interview of Tom Luongo by Arcadia Economics on geopolitical economics. Accessible, high altitude observations.

https://youtu.be/nQMsfapPI90

nQMsfapPI90
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Small banks, big reach
Everything you wanted to know about US regional banks but were too afraid (bored) to ask
It’s been surreal to see global fallout from a depositor run on a US regional bank.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 am
Typhoon wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 am What is Peter Schiff's track record of prediction?
My guess then is that he's been "talking his book" for decades - imminent doom.

Next, who is Tom Luongo and Arcadia Economics?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 am

Luongo writes a newsletter on the personal impact of geopolitical economics. He is known for holding original opinions and observations, and for avoiding academic bullshittery and flappy talk.

Arcadia Economics is a yt channel owned by an ex-metals broker. Has broken at least 2 scandals in the metals markets.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:59 pm
Typhoon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 am

Luongo writes a newsletter on the personal impact of geopolitical economics. He is known for holding original opinions and observations, and for avoiding academic bullshittery and flappy talk.

Arcadia Economics is a yt channel owned by an ex-metals broker. Has broken at least 2 scandals in the metals markets.
Well, the two significant metals market scandals that I'm aware of both involve the LME and nickel.

1/ Cancelling trades to bail out a short seller

https://www.reuters.com/business/lme-su ... 022-03-08/

2/ Delivering "bags of stones" instead of nickel with JP Morgan the bag holder

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodi ... 023-03-21/

Gold or silver scandals are usually the stuff of conspiracy theories.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Gold or silver scandals are usually the stuff of conspiracy theories.
Hard no. The fraud and hypothecation in the precious metals markets is exceedingly well documented.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

sure, but for every real fraud their is a dozen hyper ventilating end of the world fake frauds to match it.

the signal to noise ratio from that space is pretty bad.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://asiatimes.com/2023/03/us-bank-t ... ve-system/

spengles is all in on the doom and gloom now, the long awaited decline of the multi trillion dollar american debt system is upon us!
The dollar reserve system will go out not with a bang, but a whimper. The central banks will step in to prevent any dramatic failures. But bank balance sheets will shrink, credit to the real economy will diminish and international lending in particular will evaporate.

At the margin, local currency financing will replace dollar credit. We have already seen this happen in Turkey, whose currency imploded during 2019-2021 as the country lost access to dollar and euro financing.

To an important extent, Chinese trade financing replaced the dollar, and supported Turkey’s remarkable economic turnaround of the past year. Southeast Asia will rely more on its own currencies and the RMB. The dollar frog will boil by slow increments.

It’s fortuitous that Western sanctions on Russia during the past year prompted China, Russia, India and the Persian Gulf states to find alternative financing arrangements. These are not a monetary phenomenon, but an expensive, inefficient and cumbersome way to work around the US dollar banking system.

As dollar credit diminishes, though, these alternative arrangements will turn into permanent features of the monetary landscape, and other currencies will continue to gain ground against the dollar.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:17 am https://asiatimes.com/2023/03/us-bank-t ... ve-system/

spengles is all in on the doom and gloom now, the long awaited decline of the multi trillion dollar american debt system is upon us!
The dollar reserve system will go out not with a bang, but a whimper. The central banks will step in to prevent any dramatic failures. But bank balance sheets will shrink, credit to the real economy will diminish and international lending in particular will evaporate.

At the margin, local currency financing will replace dollar credit. We have already seen this happen in Turkey, whose currency imploded during 2019-2021 as the country lost access to dollar and euro financing.

To an important extent, Chinese trade financing replaced the dollar, and supported Turkey’s remarkable economic turnaround of the past year. Southeast Asia will rely more on its own currencies and the RMB. The dollar frog will boil by slow increments.

It’s fortuitous that Western sanctions on Russia during the past year prompted China, Russia, India and the Persian Gulf states to find alternative financing arrangements. These are not a monetary phenomenon, but an expensive, inefficient and cumbersome way to work around the US dollar banking system.

As dollar credit diminishes, though, these alternative arrangements will turn into permanent features of the monetary landscape, and other currencies will continue to gain ground against the dollar.

Dollar's problem with "Reserve Currency" status is not due to American financial issues, banks, national debt etc

What will kill Dollar's "Reserve Currency" status will be "freezing" other nation's Dollar holdings.

More and more nation thinking when and if they disagree with US their funds will be frozen. Germany can not disagree with US re Russia, or continue buying Russian gas , or openly saying US sabotaged the North Stream Gas pipeline, would risk freezing German Dollar funds by Janet Yellen .. and India .. and Brazil .. even Japan (Japan purchase of Russia gas same as before)

Estimate is more than $ 120 Billion Iranian funds (directly or indirectly) frozen by US .. Russians too

Why should India risk it's funds in Dollar ? or Qatar and Saudi or UAE

All Russian Yachts moored in UAE Dubai, Russian oligarch moved to Dubai .. so, Dubai has to be I.D.I.O.T to have its trillion dollar funds in U$ dollars

That is the biggest danger

Chinese holding of U$ dollar falling , Gold buying , Gold already @ $ 2000 an Onz
noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm
Chinese holding of U$ dollar falling

cusd.png
cusd.png (37.19 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:53 pm
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm
Chinese holding of U$ dollar falling

cusd.png

In Russian case, there was an article in RT that said the value of western assets in Russia is more than frozen Russian asset in West

Probably value of Western assets in China is more than $ 3.18 Billion T-bill held China
Heracleum Persicum

Many U.S. Banks Face the Same Risks That Brought Down Silicon Valley Bank
$2.2 trillion in losses and nervous customers could spark more bank runs.

In a speech just a few days before Silicon Valley Bank failed, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) Chairman Martin Gruenberg said that the market value of U.S. banks’ long-term assets had dropped $620 billion in 2022.

Yet a sobering new analysis finds that the banking industry’s unrealized losses are now more than three times that — and many banks are facing the same kinds of troubles that brought down SVB.

Pacific Western Bank , and , Western Alliance Bank .. both in trouble .. looking for buyer