MAD Magazine - the end of an era

Juno

MAD Magazine - the end of an era

Post by Juno »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... n-reports/
Citing “two separate sources close to the situation,” comicbook.com confirmed reports from earlier Wednesday evening that an editor at MAD had spilled the beans on the magazine’s fate in a Facebook group.

David DeGrand, a contributing artist to the magazine, independently responded to a Twitter query about the rumors with “Can confirm.”

According to the reported Facebook account, MAD will recycle older material until its subscription obligations are fulfilled and then the presses will stop.
Very sad day in American History. MAD's been in decline for a long time, but there are damn few counter-cultural institutions that have been as influential as MAD. RIP
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Juno

Re: MAD Magazine - the end of an era

Post by Juno »

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad ... -revealed/

well, fake news, to a certain extent, strikes again...

It's gonna limp along in the ditch for the time being.
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Doc

Post by Doc »

Juno wrote:https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad ... -revealed/

well, fake news, to a certain extent, strikes again...

It's gonna limp along in the ditch for the time being.
I would think that Mad Magazine would be a prime candidate for a digital version
Last edited by Doc on Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I remember when my largest aspiration was to own every MAD book.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

its easy to publish digitally, not so easy to make solid money and pay for a team of cartoonists and writers.

also, the definition of counter culture has morphed so much lately, all that boomer era stuff is seen as racist, sexist , pro establishment literature.

do they chase the alt-right or the progressive anti-fa crowd ? would it even be mad magazine anymore ?
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Juno wrote:https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... n-reports/
Citing “two separate sources close to the situation,” comicbook.com confirmed reports from earlier Wednesday evening that an editor at MAD had spilled the beans on the magazine’s fate in a Facebook group.

David DeGrand, a contributing artist to the magazine, independently responded to a Twitter query about the rumors with “Can confirm.”

According to the reported Facebook account, MAD will recycle older material until its subscription obligations are fulfilled and then the presses will stop.
Very sad day in American History. MAD's been in decline for a long time, but there are damn few counter-cultural institutions that have been as influential as MAD. RIP
Indeed.

There were lots of ancient MAD mags at the recreation centre at the site where I studied/worked in the Midwest.

Provided me with great insight into American culture and mores. And, when I finally came to understand the topics being satirized, great entertainment.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Indeed.

There were lots of ancient MAD mags at the recreation centre at the site where I studied/worked in the Midwest.

Provided me with great insight into American culture and mores. And, when I finally came to understand the topics being satirized, great entertainment.
MAD also provided a place where 'adult' perspectives on politics, society, life, religion, were exposed, jeered at, dissected... for a kid to see. Like an interstate cutting through a mountain, exposing the strata that makeup the foundations of the human compact, the gang of idiots at MAD didn't shade things to make them kid friendly, they did and said what they wanted, and if a kid got it, great; if not, no problem. In those days there were damn few places where that could happen. We were age-segregated in school, in church, in scouting, in sports, excluded from politics, protected from movies that were not kid-treacle, and ignorant and inexperienced with relationships and sex -- MAD took all of that and threw it out the window and said, "hey, kid, it's a big world out there, and none of it -- *NONE* of it -- is actually what it is trying to make you think it is.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

excellent observations well said gents. I recall looking forward to going to the drugstore when an adult drove into town, and buying MAD magazine when I had outgrown (?) the comic book phase.

Know that many adults know Life can be MAD, can be a very valuable lesson at that age in helping one to cope with the onset of adulthood.

Perhaps some of the existential rage and anger in today's yutes is due to not having a MAD magazine to teach adolescents how to have a sense of humor about adult subjects like politics, religion, and life in general.

Don't like life? Get angry, not MAD.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Indeed.

CS, you nailed it. "And, when I finally came to understand the topics being satirized, great entertainment."

When one does not understand the topics, there is no humor, only the sense of "self-righteousness" provided by being "offended." Virtue signaling no longer connotes knowledge, only the desire to censor/influence others.

In the good ole days, the assertion of "I find your viewpoint offensive!" may have been met, more often than not with
"Nobody f**king cares what you think!" or
"Go f**k yerself!" or
"F**k you and the horse you rode in on!"
"Why don't you grow the hell up?" or
"Eat my shorts!" or
"Blow me!" or
"F**k off!"

Now that we are sensitive and woke, the contest is to see who can be the most woke or hyper-sensitive by being offended the most often and with the greatest indignance. Weird how when people were less sensitive and caring they got along better.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Simple Minded wrote:
Colonel Sun wrote:
Indeed.

CS, you nailed it. "And, when I finally came to understand the topics being satirized, great entertainment."

When one does not understand the topics, there is no humor, only the sense of "self-righteousness" provided by being "offended." Virtue signaling no longer connotes knowledge, only the desire to censor/influence others.

In the good ole days, the assertion of "I find your viewpoint offensive!" may have been met, more often than not with
"Nobody f**king cares what you think!" or
"Go f**k yerself!" or
"F**k you and the horse you rode in on!"
"Why don't you grow the hell up?" or
"Eat my shorts!" or
"Blow me!" or
"F**k off!"

Now that we are sensitive and woke, the contest is to see who can be the most woke or hyper-sensitive by being offended the most often and with the greatest indignance. Weird how when people were less sensitive and caring they got along better.
Hint: They weren't less sensitive and caring. Go read the letters home during the Civil War. They put today's crop of malcontents to absolute shame.

as long as we're drifting from the subject of MAD, I blame the education system for this. The products of the public education system in America do not understand the difference between a "correct" answer and an "approved" answer. In fact, they have confused approval for versimilatude. This is why they expect what they disapprove of to be banned. I despair that they even have the capacity to someday see the mistake they have made and correct it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

XuS1XosskzY
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

my main memory from my childhood was loving the fold-in cartoon with the hidden picture, I thought that was so clever.
ultracrepidarian