Brilliant.
Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Daffo has poetry but no music. The whispered wonder of Lovett’s “If I Had a Boat”, but more atmospheric and less nostalgic.
Listening to “Winter Hat” is like seeing an artist’s clothes drying on the clothesline and thinking, “She must look beautiful in those”.
Listening to “Winter Hat” is like seeing an artist’s clothes drying on the clothesline and thinking, “She must look beautiful in those”.
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Lyle Lovett sang a private performance for me once at Tipitina’s bar by the foot of Napoleon Avenue. He was the warm-up band for John Fahey, 11 P.M., just one unknown guy with a guitar on a dark stage.
No one paid him any attention, but he had me fishhooked after the first few songs. I dragged a barstool out by a post in the middle of the empty dance floor and he played just for me.
No one paid him any attention, but he had me fishhooked after the first few songs. I dragged a barstool out by a post in the middle of the empty dance floor and he played just for me.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
I'd never have juxtaposed the two. Lovett is a performer who knows how to play for an audience; Daffo is an actual bedroom recorder who very much sounds like someone who has never performed for another person in their lives so what's really missing is any sense of intimacy or vulnerability.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑30 Jan 2025 16:05 Daffo has poetry but no music. The whispered wonder of Lovett’s “If I Had a Boat”, but more atmospheric and less nostalgic.
Listening to “Winter Hat” is like seeing an artist’s clothes drying on the clothesline and thinking, “She must look beautiful in those”.
Lovett has it in spades and Daffo does that indie wall paper thing where it's supposed to be replaced by quirkiness and prophecy or insight from solitary genius.
------
All a round about way of sayin', "yeah, the music lags behind where he or she is at lyrically."
What caught my ear was the sennheiser condenser mics on everything; the extremely dry sound; the "cheapness" of it played right there on underground radio next to slop made for 80x the price (even on indie radio).
I like the dry boxy drums and even the muffled instrumentation. Ironically, there's too much gain on the microphone. I don't know exactly how this was recorded but it was certainly a case where the gain was boosted to make the vocals pop and cut through the background mess. But it's not the type of voice or style that is flattered like that. It's the Cat Powers problem.
-------
It's funny seeing whatever the naive singing indie folk thing was coming back into style.
Extremely annoying or not, such a very very hard sound to try to imitate successfully,
Last edited by NapLajoieOnSteroids on 31 Jan 2025 09:02, edited 2 times in total.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Riffusion.com music ai. Free songs from a text prompt.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
its fun that the Andy Summers, Robert Frip collab from the 80's which I had never heasrd of before, actually just sounds like king crimson playing with police.
as it should. its quite fun.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
wrong, duplicated link
Last edited by NapLajoieOnSteroids on 19 Mar 2025 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 03:19Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Check out George Porter’s bass lines on this playlist. Heart of the Neville sound.NapLajoieOnSteroids wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 06:19This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 03:19Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
This is how dopey I am, I didn't realize the Meters connection.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 13:44Check out George Porter’s bass lines on this playlist. Heart of the Neville sound.NapLajoieOnSteroids wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 06:19This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑19 Mar 2025 03:19
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
They've been playing a lot of Neville brothers on the jazz channel. I just figured it was a jazz act whose background I was just ignorant of, beyond the city connection.
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
I used to write for the NO music mag ‘Wavelength’ when they were hot. The Meters/Neville connection is not well known outside the scene.
Every morning band kids in the US wait quietly for the bus, but in NO they are horns out and sticks on the metal litter boxes. They don’t know how to not play.
.
Every morning band kids in the US wait quietly for the bus, but in NO they are horns out and sticks on the metal litter boxes. They don’t know how to not play.
.
-
NapLajoieOnSteroids
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 28 Sep 2024 23:04
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑21 Mar 2025 03:57 I used to write for the NO music mag ‘Wavelength’ when they were hot. The Meters/Neville connection is not well known outside the scene.
That's cool. Google sends me to the university of new orleans with archives to the magazine. Is there an act from back then I should be looking for?
No doubt there.Every morning band kids in the US wait quietly for the bus, but in NO they are horns out and sticks on the metal litter boxes. They don’t know how to not play.
.