Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Computer Games

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I like how the real chads actually WALK across.....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

SElZABp5M3U

If only it was available in my country, I fear I would be an early adopter for the first time in a very long time.

seems like the perfect loungeroom machine for me.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Out of the pan and into the fire: After Red Dead, we started a marathon of the Zelda series.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the original quake got a rerelase on all platforms , which i got for free as an update on the one I already had - even played it on my friends switch, which worked better than expected.

it was great fun to revisit once again, came with some great new levels aswell.

inspired me to play doom eternal, which is working for me now that ive dropped the difficulty to low.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I read the Quake Remaster was an always online single player thing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

sort of.

it has a bug that makes you log in to use the multiplayer and extension packs even if you arent using the multiplayer or extension packs. - its not required for playing the singeplayer.

their is an alleged promise to remove it on the next update.

the builtin multiplayer has issues - it was only intended for use in LAN's and the original game had a seperate executable without single player support for internet play, not sure how they will resolve that.

im not fussed about multiplayer, the new map pack was the fun for me.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

the login bit on the quake reboot is the worst part of it - turns an instant start game into 5 seconds or so of useless authentication.

its really jarring to move to the modern game - doom eternal - after playing it, the new one has minutes of loading, movies, logins, slow animated menus.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

That's funny, same bug as the doom re-releases and same promise to fix it after the fact, which they did.

Sounds more like a feature. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

corporates and plausible deniability is such a winning combo.

all the more silly, in that i doubt they would have copped that much flack if they said "we want better stats on the launch period playtimes"

ive also tried to play remnant: from the ashes, which is a dark souls type rpg thing.. im lacking in carefactor to get past the first boss fight.

which is something that also happened to me when i played dark souls - so maybe I should have know that - it was on super sale at the time so is only a bad cup of coffee worth of wastage.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 am all the more silly, in that i doubt they would have copped that much flack if they said "we want better stats on the launch period playtimes"
Definitely.

ive also tried to play remnant: from the ashes, which is a dark souls type rpg thing.. im lacking in carefactor to get past the first boss fight.

which is something that also happened to me when i played dark souls - so maybe I should have know that - it was on super sale at the time so is only a bad cup of coffee worth of wastage.
That doom and gloom aesthetic where everyone runs around in duster jackets and everything is grimdark...woof.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 am
That doom and gloom aesthetic where everyone runs around in duster jackets and everything is grimdark...woof.
yeh, im not fussed about the cheesy aesthetic so much - im very much a mechanics person and dont really notice the story or look of things.

ive got the same problem with music, i never listen to the lyrics, i only listen to the rhythm section.

anyway, in this case, the mechanics have lots and lots of slow walking, and overly spaced checkpoints, and insta death.

put those 3 things together and i have better things to do with my half hour of gaming time.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yeah, I was gonna sneak an edit into that post about it being more my hang-up than yours.

The mechanics you describe seem to be part and parcel with all these games, and I see it as a package.
noddy

Post by noddy »

43d8fICz6gM

quite an incredible summary of 30 years of increasing physics exploitations in one game.

https://adrianb.io/2015/02/14/bunnyhop.html
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Nintendo announced the pricing to their new "expansion pass" for their online services. That is the addition of a select number of N64 roms, the Sega Genesis roms that have been ported to everything (including the switch itself) and the ability to rent the Animal Crossing dlc.
Right now the base subscription is 35 dollars for a family account with the added pass bringing that up to 80.

Now we don't play Animal Crossing, and the people under our family plan who do will probably just purchase the dlc if they're that interested.

But it is ominous move to put Animal Crossing dlc behind the pass, locked or unlocked by subscription renewal; when will they start doing that for all their big franchises? I am sure there will be an exclusive game locked behind it in the near future, probably by the next system as this is a test run.

=========

Beyond Nintendo testing to go away from ownership

The Nintendo online infrastructure stinks. Asking an Xbox price for their online infrastructure is outrageous.

A lot of the complaint is about lack of voice chat, or achievement systems and profiles....stupid things in my opinion.

Half the online games don't work all that well, they don't have the servers, and the other companies (as far as I'm aware) are at a point where they are allowing you to purchase digitally and move your purchases over system to system. Nothing like that with Nintendo.
NapLajoieonSteroids

That's another long way of saying the Steamdeck is looking better.

If it's going to be all sub-service stuff, why not just go with the corporation which is better at it?
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:45 am 43d8fICz6gM

quite an incredible summary of 30 years of increasing physics exploitations in one game.

https://adrianb.io/2015/02/14/bunnyhop.html
That's a really cool video
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:16 pm That's another long way of saying the Steamdeck is looking better.

If it's going to be all sub-service stuff, why not just go with the corporation which is better at it?
so far ive been able to avoid the games as service ones on steam, tho i do try and buy from GOG which provides offline installers when i can.

now that Nintendo is chasing the yearly service fees, I wonder if the AAA model is going to end up servicing a smaller pool of cashed up families and young couples.

im nearly only indie games or 10 year old games with fully patched and DLC'd editions now - if it has an online aspect i avoid it.

just bought fallout 4 for $5 - i know im going to regret it but it was whimsical pricing .
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:58 am just bought fallout 4 for $5 - i know im going to regret it but it was whimsical pricing .
That's not too bad a price for a regret purchase.

That's the one that had the minecraft tree-house building attached to it right?
im nearly only indie games or 10 year old games with fully patched and DLC'd editions now - if it has an online aspect i avoid it.
The decade leap hasn't been so great.

With game design taking near a decade now, a lot of the big guys and their franchises are "up-to-date" as of 2013-2015
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 pm
That's the one that had the minecraft tree-house building attached to it right?

yeh, its not been a requirement so far, tho i have only played for an hour or so - that appears to be an amusement tacked on for the hardcore RPG types.

its main feature so far is a very basic first person open world I can save at any time - which does make it ideal for my half an hour every couple of days distraction type computer gaming.

the downside is the walking simulator bit that all these things have, which will probably make me bored of it sooner rather than later.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

after ranting how much i dislike car racing games, i seem to have accidently stumbled on a good one - forza horizon 5

microsoft offered 3 months of their games-as-service thing for $1, so i signed up again and it was one of the premier games , so i figured id give it a go.

completely fixes 90% of what makes car games so tedious - it has an open world of chaotic stunt driving that connects the racing, which you can do at your own pace and mood.

then the races are highly tunable between realistic or arcade like, with a rewind button if it goes pearshaped so you never have to start from the start again.

then it has all these silly side missions, which are stunt based or crazy driving based - generally unrelated to that focus perfect racing nonsense.

on top of that, it has a myriad of different car and race styles to mix it up constantly, its always something new and different.

i dare say i will be bored of it in a few days, but it has been a nice surprise.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm
poes law hit me so hard, i had no idea what to think.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

If you have Xbox Pass, do you have access to Age of Empires IV?

I've not purchased it yet but I'm champing at the bit.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 pm If you have Xbox Pass, do you have access to Age of Empires IV?

I've not purchased it yet but I'm champing at the bit.
yep,https://www.xbox.com/en-au/games/store/ ... 94ncgm1q2n

I still have 2 months left before my $1 runs out so ill give it a crack soon.

im already bored of forza horizon but ill still give it credit for being a racing game I actualy could sink a few hours into.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

aaEo_NuH1_M
ultracrepidarian