Ukraine

Doc

Re: Ukraine

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:26 pm What valiant resistance?

Social media and traditional media is so flooded with propaganda right now, there is zero anyone without actual eyes on the ground can attest to.

============

I hate to be a wet blanket, and have no doubt having some knowledge of how human's act, that there is plenty of valiant resistance to an invading army.

But we are wholeheartedly being meme'd into WWIII.
Western reporters the Ukrainian government offered up 18,000 Kalashnikov in Kiev they tan out and had to get more The TV military pundits estimated 2 to 3 days to take Kiev. But the more important thing is perception. And the perception is that things aren't going the way Putin thought they would
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:13 pm
noddy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:36 am Russia does not come out of this better - it smells more and more like North Korea every day.
So your suggesting that the Chinese control Russians like they do the North Koreans?
not currently, tho its probably debatable because Putin can only afford to lose all Western integration with the promise of Eastern Integration.

I was thinking in the near future they are going to be like North Korea or Burma and a seconday client state of China which can only interact with the world in ways their master wants them to.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:16 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:26 pm What valiant resistance?

Social media and traditional media is so flooded with propaganda right now, there is zero anyone without actual eyes on the ground can attest to.

============

I hate to be a wet blanket, and have no doubt having some knowledge of how human's act, that there is plenty of valiant resistance to an invading army.

But we are wholeheartedly being meme'd into WWIII.
Western reporters the Ukrainian government offered up 18,000 Kalashnikov in Kiev they tan out and had to get more The TV military pundits estimated 2 to 3 days to take Kiev. But the more important thing is perception. And the perception is that things aren't going the way Putin thought they would
Well, we know some things, despite 99% of the media being propoganda for either side.

Russia has overwhelming missile and air superiority and used that ruthlessly in the first hour, taking out many airports and millitary targets.

they then helicoptered in forces to hold those positions till the ground forces arrived, so obviously they were expecting a 1 day push situation, and that didnt happen, the ground forces are still working their way forward slowly and the helicoptered forces are dead or captured.

Id suggest the brightest point for Ukraine is that it wasnt all over in a day, so while the Polish border is still open and Poland is happily sending "non offical volunteers" across, their is a good chance that a considerable amount of well provisioned special forces are now part of the ukrainian army.

the Germans just announced they will now also send hand held anti tank and anti air devices to the ukraine via this border and they removed the embargo on other countries on selling german arms via this border.

https://www.axios.com/germany-weapons-u ... dc377.html
Last edited by noddy on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm
noddy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:36 am
Im not convinced Putin is playing 3d chess right now - the only thing that would make that true is the formation of a new global market with China and this being the last hurrah of Russia and the West.

without that, all he has done is made Sweden and Finland join NATO, justify Macrons wishes to replace the USA with a bigger EU based army and justify an increase in millitary spending for every single one of his competitors.

Russia does not come out of this better - it smells more and more like North Korea every day.
No, I don't think he's playing 3d chess either. I think he's fallen for the bait.

According to the New York Times, the Americans have been seeding the Chinese with information they knew they'd share with Russia about an imminent invasion. They did it to a point that the Chinese allegedly told the Russians they thought the Americans were sowing discord and that they (the Chinese) would not interfere with Russia's plans.

At the same time, according to Reuters, according to the Ukrainians, President Biden assured Zelenskiy of NATO membership.
America gets to hand over NATO to a revitalised Europe and sell lots of gear to expanding millitary budgets, Putin gets to blow all his last remaining power on a battle that cannot be won and China gets to exploit Russia as much as it wants for natural resources and money transfer fees.

its a win for everyone that isnt Russia, or a dead Ukrainian.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Lol
Censorship isn't necessary
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I’m guessing Ukraine will change from a Deep State puppet to a Russian satrap.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Maybe, tho its not seeming that their is a magority of Ukranians who want to be Russians, which would be required for that to work and the borders on the west do allow non stop guerilla war.

Hope all is well for ymix, it seems Poland and Romania are copping the brunt of the refugee exodus.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I’ll just flag here the hilarious phenomena of people who had no idea Putin would ever do this with are now military logistics experts. Tracking supply lines and whatnot with an app.
noddy

Post by noddy »

obscure olympics sports, viral epidemics, complex open systems, the people are experts on everything, suddenly you are on the experts side!

in this case, nobody has any idea but It certainly seems from the outside that while the Europeans didnt have their lavender together, the Russians may have miscalculated how quickly they can get their lavender together.

This is not about r who is going to win - their is a solid chance that over the next few weeks Russia can just smother the eastern half of the country through weight of numbers.

China has switched from being on Russias side to mumbling about peaceful negotiations, so has calculated Putin is on a road to nowhere and they arent wasting political capital on him.

there are no good outcomes if he wins, all that can happen is he negotiates for those eastern provinces and NATO swallows up all the rest of the border. Even that is probably optimistic for him.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The only thing that really matters is to not let this thing spill over into a ww3 type of thing. Local hot war and/or a new cold war are a very small price to pay when compared to a ww3 alternative.

The NATO alliance is considered a paper tiger, since the contributing member states seem not willing to send their loved ones to do big war and die for borderliners like Ukraine or even the Baltics. I think this is actually a good thing. Nobody wants to fight a tank that one day might drive through your neighborhood and shell the hell out of it. But when such a tank is coming beyond reasonable doubt into your own street, most people are the same and fight to their death if necessary.

I even doubt Western Europeans are willing to send their soldiers to defend Poland if Vlad types would decide to conquer it. I certainly wouldn't risk my life for any of them. I wouldn't mind selling them all the war gear they need to fend off post-commi intruders, but no mare than that. I'm afraid I'm a typical Western-European selfish bastard. :P
Deep down I'm very superficial
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:00 am I’ll just flag here the hilarious phenomena of people who had no idea Putin would ever do this with are now military logistics experts. Tracking supply lines and whatnot with an app.
Putin? IF anything who imagined the durian elite class globalists would cause this while giving the CCP, that runs an actual totalitarian state, a free ride on its bad behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7Ng75e5gQ
8X7Ng75e5gQ

Demandef that Afghans practice modern tribalism insisting they a medieval tribal society where the vast majority living a day to day struggle to survive learn things like Lesbian gender studies. Who could imagine there are people in the world that are that stupid?

Oh yeah I guess someone did imagine that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoPR2IA2Uk

fMoPR2IA2Uk
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Putin places his nuclear deterrent forces on high alert. My only questions at this point are how to tell my wife who is currently in Brasil not to come back, when to personally bug out and how to convince my son to come with me. I live within a dozen miles of a top five nuclear target that would take multiple warheads to take out.My son live 3 miles away from it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | The leadership and bravery of Volodymyr Zelensky
So that’s what leadership looks like. It looks like Volodymyr Zelensky. It looks like a president staying put in his capital city despite coming under attack from one of the largest military forces on Earth. It looks like a tired but proud man rallying his people to defend their nation from foreign onslaught. It looks like someone who warns his enemies that ‘When you attack us, you will see our faces. Not our backs, but our faces.’ It looks like someone who chooses to stay and fight rather than to run away. When US officials reportedly offered to help evacuate Zelensky, he told them he needed ammunition, ‘not a ride’.

‘I need ammunition, not a ride’. If someone doesn’t put that on a t-shirt, I swear I’ll lose my faith in politics and entrepreneurship.

I had forgotten what political leadership looked like. Most of us had, if we’re being honest. Three decades of being ruled by technocrats and bumblers will do that. We have a political class that actively eschews leadership. Which outsources decision-making to Brussels or to unaccountable quangos*. Which prefers phoney chumminess to captaining the nation in a serious, principled way. Which is not even willing to withstand a Twitterstorm, never mind a foreign invasion. Our leaders won’t even say only women have a cervix, lest a few hundred angry eggs on the internet scream ‘BIGOT’ at them. Heaven knows how they’d cope if it was Putin rather than PC irritants breathing down their necks.
*quango: quasi-autonomous non-governmental organization: in the UK, an organization established by a government to consider a subject of public importance, which is independent [ha, ha] from the government. Often used as a derogatory term.

[Mod note. If the article is paywalled, then please inform the mod and the full article will be posted.]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.howtogeek.com/260023/how-to ... s-reading/

How to Download Wikipedia for Offline, At-Your-Fingertips Reading
Doc

Post by Doc »

German parliament votes to spend 2% of GDP on defense

Anyone in Europe miss Trump yet?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:32 pm Putin places his nuclear deterrent forces on high alert. My only questions at this point are how to tell my wife who is currently in Brasil not to come back, when to personally bug out and how to convince my son to come with me. I live within a dozen miles of a top five nuclear target that would take multiple warheads to take out.My son live 3 miles away from it.
Some hold Putin to be a brilliant strategist. Certainly, he had to be cunning and ruthless to achieve his position.

However, his rambling surreal pre-invasion speech, the war with Ukraine, and now placing the nuclear force on "high alert" - inherited from the former SU, shows that he has become a paranoid psychotic.

The reality is that Russia is a failing state.

Russia occupies that largest land area of any nation and has a population of about 140 million.
Yet it's GDP is only comparable to that of Australia, which has less than 20% of Russia's population, is smaller than that of Italy and Canada, and nearly half that of the UK. And is completely dwarfed by that of the US and China.

Global_GDP.jpg
Global_GDP.jpg (124.35 KiB) Viewed 83041 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The only country I would go to war to defend is Britain. The rest can pound sand.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Telling if true.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

This is dangerous if true. Modern media is a purposeful misinformation machine.

NapLajoieonSteroids

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:13 pm The reality is that Russia is a failing state.
Lol war isn't a battle of GDPs. Russia had a small GDP compared to the US let alone US + Europe and kept a cold war alive for 40-50 years.

No, these wars are decided by other metrics.

Afghanistan is a failed state and Obiden managed to lose to the Taliban.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:47 am Maybe, tho its not seeming that there is a majority of Ukranians who want to be Russians

Why should they? Russia's revanchism is as ridiculous as it is intolerable.

To quote a comment I came across which says it well:
Note, in the world in which we live, fairly similar people live side-by-side separated by historical events into different sovereignties. Australia and New Zealand, Britain and Ireland, the United States and Anglophone Canada, France and Wallonia, Austria and Germany, Flanders and the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway, Roumania and Moldova, adjacent Arab states, adjacent Latin American states. Sometimes there is pan-national sentiment, usually not. Sometimes there is a history of disputes generating mutual antagonism (see the British Isles or the Yugoslav states), usually not. It’s in Russia and China where this anomaly generates a constituency for coercive abuse of the population outside the fold.

Hope all is well for ymix, it seems Poland and Romania are copping the brunt of the refugee exodus.
ditto
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

When western media is lying as much as foreign opposition media, whew....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:02 pm
Typhoon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:13 pm The reality is that Russia is a failing state.
Lol war isn't a battle of GDPs. Russia had a small GDP compared to the US let alone US + Europe and kept a cold war alive for 40-50 years.

No, these wars are decided by other metrics.

Afghanistan is a failed state and Obiden managed to lose to the Taliban.
Perhaps. However, both Soviet-Russia and the US were the unwelcome invading forces in Afghanistan - as Russia is in the Ukraine currently.

Anyways, my point was not that Russia will fail in its war with Ukraine because of its GDP*, rather that Russia is a failing state with regards to ordinary Russians.

On the hand, every nation has the politicians that it deserves.

*Although I, like many, would like Russia to fail completely in the Ukraine.