Romney vs. Obama

Ibrahim

Re: Romney vs. Obama

Post by Ibrahim »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Mormonism is deeply sexist to the point of being misogynistic. Those women are never coming out of their binders.
The comment actually reminded me of the "joy books" of young girls that polygamist Mormon sects distribute between communities. This was popularized somewhat by the HBO series, as well as the compound raids that made news a few years ago.

That said, I'm glad nobody took that angle publicly because not only is it unfair to attack Romney based on his Mormonism, it is doubly unfair to attack him based on the antics of some bizarre sects who identify as Mormon or "real" Mormons.

Of course Romney's unpopularity with women is still justified, if only as a logical reaction to GOP policies and statements.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Mormon Missionary Lady at the Gas Station.

Post by monster_gardener »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Mormonism is deeply sexist to the point of being misogynistic. Those women are never coming out of their binders.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Nonc.

Maybe....... I met one who seemed to have escaped.........

Last week a very nice young Mormon Lady approached me a gas station wanting to share her faith and trying to convert me. We had a friendly theological discussion and I told her that I considered her to be within the Kingdom (St. Paul: Know nothing among you but Christ and Him crucified) even though others in my Church don't and despite the LDS's unusual beliefs such as Jesus and Lucifer being brothers (sort of like Thor & Loki :twisted: :lol: though I didn't mention that example) . We left on a friendly basis and she gave me her card if I wanted to discuss it further.......
Last edited by monster_gardener on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:There polls are probably underestimating the sampling error.
My recollections from statistics class is that sampling error comes directly from god and the sampling size, based on inscrutable maths.

The more I look at political polling the more it seems to have really a foundation of hog$#!t and too many conditions.

Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ran across this on an unrelated search.

Utah 2nd state granting women the vote. Who knew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o ... s_suffrage
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Seems like a great reason to vote for him/them.

What's wrong with the 1950's?
Though it may have been a great time financially for middle class Americans- a time of plenty- I think now it's rather obvious that it was a terrible time for the human spirit where we sowed the seeds of our own destruction. Those sixty hippies were too stoned to think [or more precisely: not think] all those little revolutions all by themselves. I read something like this following quote somewhere: "How seriously can you take someone who whines about how tough child rearing is when their main cultural influence in life was the Beatles?" And ground zero for the juvenilia and the progressively dumber generations to follow starts in the 50s.

Why would I want more of that?
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Today's debate is about Foreign Policy

well .. US and Iran : Could Romney be tougher than Obama ? Unlikely.

Short of conducting a unilateral military strike or declaring war against the Islamic Republic, a Romney administration would be faced with the same legislative options on Iran as President Obama, who has already administered them.

Same story since RR (The Skipper) :lol:

anderson

Post by anderson »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:There polls are probably underestimating the sampling error.
My recollections from statistics class is that sampling error comes directly from god and the sampling size, based on inscrutable maths.

The more I look at political polling the more it seems to have really a foundation of hog$#!t and too many conditions.

It's difficult. There is the inherent sort of error that shapes your confidence interval, and that depends on the sample size.

Then there are methodological issues of the sample being representative in terms of %composition along the lines of the important demographic variables (male/female, young/old, rich/poor, urban/rural) that have some bearing on the matter.
Enki

Post by Enki »

The margin of error in political polling is the percentage that the candidates fight over?

Who knew?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

Seems like a great reason to vote for him/them.

:lol:

Mr. Perfect

Despite the thunderous silence of the media, all signs are pointing towards another neocon-Republican election theft attempt, like the successful ones of 2000 and 2004.

One warning sign: The appearance of blatantly fraudulent public opinion polls giving Romney a substantial lead over Obama. While all other polls show that Obama has enough of an edge in the swing states to constitute an electoral-college “firewall,” Gallup’s national polls -- using a “likely voter” model that apparently posits an inverse correlation between voting and skin pigmentation -- currently give Romney an edge of more than five points in the popular vote.

Why would the Republicans falsify a prominent national poll ?

To give Romney “momentum,” and create the illusion of plausibility when rigged voting machines hand him a “surprise victory.”

:lol: , Yes, it is from Iranian papers .. they predict another fraudulent stunt by GOP

Enki

Post by Enki »

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/electoral-map

Interactive electoral cartogram with states sized by electoral votes. If Obama wins Florida and New Hampshire it's over.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/electoral-map

Interactive electoral cartogram with states sized by electoral votes. If Obama wins Florida and New Hampshire it's over.

I think Romney takes Florida and North Carolina, Obama takes Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, and it all comes down to Ohio.

Given how important the auto industry is to Ohio, and the on-the-record statements by the two candidates about the auto bailout, this entire election could boil down to how stupid people in Ohio are.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:

I think Romney takes Florida and North Carolina, Obama takes Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, and it all comes down to Ohio.

Given how important the auto industry is to Ohio, and the on-the-record statements by the two candidates about the auto bailout, this entire election could boil down to how stupid people in Ohio are.
Ohio has the most potential for Romney to steal the election.
-Alexander Hamilton
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

There's a significant chance of a tie, 269-269. That would be fun, with the likely outcome being a Romney-Biden Presidency.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

Ohio has the most potential for Romney to steal the election.
As its shaping up today, this election is set to be close enough that no matter who wins the other side will call it a stolen election, blaming Ohio. My pet theory is that both parties use the same underhanded tricks in key states, so the net effect is that they cancel each other out.

For the last decade or more the cool thing to do in America has been to say that the sitting President (if you don't like him) is not even the legitimate President.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Skin Job wrote:There's a significant chance of a tie, 269-269. That would be fun, with the likely outcome being a Romney-Biden Presidency.
Why is that? Is it like a championship fight, and the champ retains on a draw? Or is it like baseball and a tie goes to the runner?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ibrahim wrote:

Most auto employees in OH work for Ford and Honda, who did not receive bailouts.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:
Skin Job wrote:There's a significant chance of a tie, 269-269. That would be fun, with the likely outcome being a Romney-Biden Presidency.
Why is that? Is it like a championship fight, and the champ retains on a draw? Or is it like baseball and a tie goes to the runner?
House determines President Senate determines VP. So it could even be Romney/Obama.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
House determines President Senate determines VP. So it could even be Romney/Obama.
You learn something new every day.

I am now rooting for this wacky outcome based purely on novelty.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Romney/Obama would advance the NeoLiberal agenda quite well. Romney would carry on Obama's agenda but Republicans would support it. Obama could get it through the Senate.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Much how like Obama carried on Bush's agenda and you supported it.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Much how like Obama carried on Bush's agenda and you supported it.

But I didn't support it.

Why lie?
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I've got all the quotes, you were extremely enthusiastic about Obama. I can pull down quotes all day long.
Skin Job

Post by Skin Job »

Ibrahim wrote:
Enki wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
You learn something new every day.

I am now rooting for this wacky outcome based purely on novelty.
I wondered about what sort of discretion the Senate had in determining who the VP would be in case of a tie. Here are the relevant parts of the Twelfth Amendment , namely the first and last paragraphs:
The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate...

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.
Since "list" in the last paragraph is not plural, it seems as if the Senate is allowed only to consider the two VP candidates that got the most votes, and nobody else.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Gov. Gary Johnson Files Complaint In Federal Court Against Commission On Presidential Debates
October 19, 2012Posted in Blog, News

October 19, 2012, Washington, DC – Citing survey data showing former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson has in fact achieved the narrow criteria required for inclusion in the Monday debate, earning more than 40 percent of the vote in “head-to-head” polls against President Barack Obama, the Libertarian Party nominee’s campaign today filed a complaint in Federal Court in the District of Columbia maintaining that Johnson has, in fact, met the Commission on Presidential Debates’ criteria for inclusion. The complaint asks the Court to compel the CPD to include Johnson.

“The CPD requirements say Johnson ‘must register support of at least 15 percent of the vote in five recent polls,’” Johnson campaign counsel Alicia Dearn said in a statement. “Nowhere does it say those polls must include three candidates. Indeed, the polls used by the CPD to exclude Johnson test only two candidates even though Gov. Johnson is on the ballot in 48 states. We argue that Gov. Johnson has met the specific and narrow criteria laid out by the CPD.

“Included in the two-party ‘deal’ struck by the Republicans and Democrats are the criteria by which candidates are invited to participate. As a two-term governor who is on more than enough states’ ballots to be elected in the Electoral College, the decision to exclude Gov. Johnson can only be based upon the CPD’s self-determined polling criterion — using polls that are ‘head-to-head’ surveys between Romney and Obama. Who decided that? The CPD rules do not specify the number of candidates to be tested in the poll. Using their own methodology, polls that ask voters’ preferences between the President and Gov. Johnson are equally valid, and as we have demonstrated, will show more than enough support for Gov. Johnson to meet the CPD’s arbitrary 15 percent requirement. The same would clearly be the result when Gov. Johnson is surveyed against only Gov. Romney. Nowhere does it say that only the Republican and the Democrat should be pitted against one another,” Dearn said.

“It must be repeated that the official-sounding Commission on Presidential Debates is not official at all. It is a private organization created by the Republican and Democratic Parties for the clear and admitted purpose of controlling the presidential debate process. Everything from the schedule to the participants to the water glasses on stage are determined by way of an MOU between the two parties, to the exclusion of everyone else.

Two debates have already happened, and have excluded Gov. Johnson. We can’t change that — no matter how unfair. However, the CPD has one last opportunity to do the right thing for Monday night’s debate, which we have asked them to do via a letter transmitted Thursday. However, we are not holding our breath for an answer, and have asked the Federal Court to help them do the right thing. Also, we make it clear in our complaint that this issue does not end Monday night, and that it is not just about Gov. Johnson. We are also asking for a permanent injunction to require that the CPD’s criteria be changed for future elections to correct the organization’s fundamental unfairness.

“The American people need to understand that the presidential debates are televised productions of the Republican and Democratic Parties. Nothing more. And those productions are designed to exclude alternative voices and ignore the simple fact that one-third of the electorate does not belong to their exclusive clubs.”

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/gov-gary ... al-debates