Dark Levitas
-
Nonc Hilaire
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 29 Sep 2024 17:05
Re: Dark Levitas
The English idiom “Raked over hot coals” refers to a method of torture. This is commonly used to describe a dissertation defense. Synonymous with “Trial by fire” but sarcastic.
Just having to shop at Khols is torture enough for me.
Just having to shop at Khols is torture enough for me.
Re: Dark Levitas
Thanks for your explanation of the expression's history.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑16 Jul 2025 13:41 The English idiom “Raked over hot coals” refers to a method of torture. This is commonly used to describe a dissertation defense. Synonymous with “Trial by fire” but sarcastic.
As far as I can recall, I've never had the pleasure. I remember Sears, now extinct, at the local big mall.Just having to shop at Khols is torture enough for me.
Re: Dark Levitas
When I was a little kid the very first week I was in school I was so excited about going on I guess the third day that I left home early and got to school I guess about 20 or 30 minutes early. No one was there when I got there Being 6 years old the empty old school house looked pretty creepy. SO I went back home. From then through High school I never once got to school early.
Re: Dark Levitas
Had to think about this one for a minute

Re: Dark Levitas
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house,
not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse . . .
. . . I knew I should’ve gotten a carbon monoxide detector.
