Does America have a "gun culture"?

Typhoon

Re: Does America have a "gun culture"?

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Guns per capita: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ ... by_country

U.S. = 88.8

Japan = .6

I think U.S. gun culture is a valid concept.
I hope we have a gun culture. I would hate to think all those guns exist in the US without a gun culture! ;)

Pretty sure there is no kimono culture in the US however..... ;)

when kimonos are outlawed, only outlaws will have kimonos!
Don't p*ss off a lady in a kimono [or a yukata].
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:
Peter 2:18: Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.
and the Confederates in the American Civil War
and that the Emancipation Proclamation clearly contravened the Bible.
Biblical slavery allows the owning of property in another man's labor but not the man himself. Ante-bellum Southern slavery was chattel slavery whereby the slave himself is owned as property.

If the definition of slavery/servitude is the owning of property in another man's labor, we have far more willing "slaves" in America today than at the time of the Civil War. As Paul said, "The borrower is slave to the lender."
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Image
Finally...... some accurate root cause analysis of Merika's inner city/cultural/youth problems.......

international units!! :evil:
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I stand corrected, kimonos are dangerous.....

secret agent, professional assasin, or just typical japanese chick with PMS?

FWIW, she is much sexier than James Bond....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Peter 2:18: Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.
Biblical slavery allows the owning of property in another man's labor but not the man himself. Ante-bellum Southern slavery was chattel slavery whereby the slave himself is owned as property.
I don't think so.
Leviticus 25:44-47
King James Version (KJV)
44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
Marcus wrote: If the definition of slavery/servitude is the owning of property in another man's labor, we have far more willing "slaves" in America today than at the time of the Civil War. As Paul said, "The borrower is slave to the lender."
I also don't think that having debt in the US today comes close in any way to biblical slavery/medieval serfdom/17th to 19th century slavery.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Mona's American Kimona Culture......

Post by monster_gardener »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Guns per capita: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ ... by_country

U.S. = 88.8

Japan = .6

I think U.S. gun culture is a valid concept.
I hope we have a gun culture. I would hate to think all those guns exist in the US without a gun culture! ;)

Thank you VERY Much for your post, Simple Minded.

Actually kimono/kimona culture does exist ;)

Not exactly the same as the Japanese original.......
But a LOT of Fun! ;) :lol:

As reported by a Pizza delivery boy 8-)
There is a rumor that Mona
Goes around in a black net kimona
Don't think for a minute
There's anything in it -
Anything much beside Mona.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
I stand corrected, kimonos are dangerous.....

secret agent, professional assasin, or just typical japanese chick with PMS?
Vengeance
Simple Minded wrote:FWIW, she is much sexier than James Bond....
If the music sounds familiar, Tarantino used both the music and part of the story line of Lady Snowblood for Kill Bill.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
I don't think so.
Leviticus 25:44-47
King James Version (KJV)
44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
Marcus wrote: If the definition of slavery/servitude is the owning of property in another man's labor, we have far more willing "slaves" in America today than at the time of the Civil War. As Paul said, "The borrower is slave to the lender."
I also don't think that having debt in the US today comes close in any way to biblical slavery/medieval serfdom/17th to 19th century slavery.

Rushdoony and other Christian Reconstructionists defend slavery on the grounds that it is both Biblically permitted and also part of some kind of natural order where certain people are inherently servile to the other. The Biblical justification for chattel slavery still persists to the present day, if only in marginal circles.

There is no practical difference between the slavery of the ancient Israelites and the slavery of the ancient Romans, Pomegranates or Arabs. The slave is property. American slavery was unique only insofar as it was typically more cruel than what is recorded in the Classical era. One of the Barbary amirs (an Algerian Bey IIRC) mocked Thomas Jefferson when his embassy protested their piracy, arguing that the Americans were a nation of slavers, and moreover that Muslims treated their slaves better than Christians (that latter claim is dubious). Jefferson was reportedly enraged.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Anyways, back to my original point.
The author of the quote thought he was making a clever comment, but instead revealed his own amusing ignorance of American history.

That's all.
That's the thing, he didn't and did not reveal any ignorance, instead great knowledge. Champions of the 2nd amendment believe the right to bear arms comes from God and should be extended to all mankind, and predated the Constitution philosophically;

Further, the experiences of Washington and our rebel armies were in fact a reason specifically why the 2nd Amendment was put in the Constitution and are among the many arguments 2A Champions use to defend the Amendment. These nuances I accept are lost on people of other countries who don't believe in such freedoms or freedom philosophies, so I do acknowledge I have to cut you some slack.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Perhaps we could get a separate slavery thread?
monster_gardener

Slaving Away at Creating the Slavery Thread & Link

Mr. Perfect wrote:Perhaps we could get a separate slavery thread?
Thank You Very Much for Your Post, Mr. Perfect.
Perhaps we could get a separate slavery thread?
Your Wish is my command! ;) :twisted: :lol: *

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828

But I suspect that this could turn into a bigger CAN ;) of worms than my CANnibalism ;) Thread.......

*Just this time...... ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Anyways, back to my original point.
The author of the quote thought he was making a clever comment, but instead revealed his own amusing ignorance of American history.

That's all.
That's the thing, he didn't and did not reveal any ignorance, instead great knowledge. Champions of the 2nd amendment believe the right to bear arms comes from God and should be extended to all mankind, and predated the Constitution philosophically;
As I noted before, people will believe anything.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Further, the experiences of Washington and our rebel armies were in fact a reason specifically why the 2nd Amendment was put in the Constitution and are among the many arguments 2A Champions use to defend the Amendment. These nuances I accept are lost on people of other countries who don't believe in such freedoms or freedom philosophies, so I do acknowledge I have to cut you some slack.
Everyone everywhere likes to believe that they know their country's history best.

However, what is often being believed is myths, not history.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: As I noted before, people will believe anything.
Like Rosa Parks, who took an act that ended up initiating the Civil Rights Act. Accordingly, one could make a picture like the one posted earlier linking Rosa Parks with the Civil Rights Act, but no one but foreigners would think that the CRA predated Rosa Parks.
Everyone everywhere likes to believe that they know their country's history best.

However, what is often being believed is myths, not history.
Strawman.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Why are anti-gunners always major league dumb@$$es?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/04/obama ... ic-weapon/
President Obama told a group of Democratic donors Wednesday night that the children killed in the Newtown, Conn. attack last December were shot with a “fully automatic weapon.”

Speaking to donors at a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser in San Francisco, Obama urged the need for “gun control,” and referred for the first time to an alleged “fully automatic weapon” involved in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, which took the lives of 20 children and 6 adults.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I mean we're talking big time dumb@$$ here. What a dumb@$$. Typical Democrat.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... oaded.html

smFsgtJ4NFw
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I mean we're talking big time dumb@$$ here. What a dumb@$$. Typical Democrat.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... oaded.html

smFsgtJ4NFw
It's brain rot, pure and simple.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

These Democrats will get you killed. They sponsor the legislation that will get you killed. "Don't fight back, you'll end up dead anyway". Darwin Award Democrats.

WypFNHOl5_Q
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Some people I know will be surprised by this, and others not surprised at all:

http://ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_ ... y_2013.pdf
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Bloomberg loses his mind, in fairly prissy and dumb$$ fashion. He is a prissy dumb@$$.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... ge-victory
Today’s vote is a damning indictment of the stranglehold that special interests have on Washington. More than 40 U.S. senators would rather turn their backs on the 90 percent of Americans who support comprehensive background checks than buck the increasingly extremist wing of the gun lobby. Democrats – who are so quick to blame Republicans for our broken gun laws – could not stand united.
Sure couldn't. Do you know why? Perhaps the 90% number you gave isn't really 90%.
And Republicans – who are so quick to blame Democrats for not being tough enough on crime – handed criminals a huge victory, by preserving their ability to buy guns illegally at gun shows
Bloomberg, you are such a huge dumb@$$. Do you know why? You are admitting up front you can['t stop illegality, and yet want to increase illegality. You are such a huge dumb@$$.
and online and keeping the illegal trafficking market well-fed.
If there is an illegal trafficking market why do we need a new law dumb@$$?
Senators Manchin and Toomey – as well as Majority Leader Reid and Senators Schumer, Kirk, Collins, McCain and others – deserve real credit for coming together around a compromise bill that struck a fair balance,
A fair balance of what.
and President Obama and Vice-President Biden deserve credit for their leadership since the Sandy Hook massacre.
I give them credit for making liberals and gun grabbing prisses like yourself look stupid. It helped us more than you know.
But even with some bi-partisan support, a common-sense public safety reform died in the U.S. Senate at the hands of those who are more interested in attempting to protect their own political careers – or some false sense of ideological purity – than protecting the lives of innocent Americans.
Nothing in the Senate Bill would've preserved one life. According to you many of these things are already illegal and you guys are unable to stop them anyway.

All you were doing was increasing the legal burdens on law abiding citizens like myself while criminals would proceed unfettered.
The only silver lining is that we now know who refuses to stand with the 90 percent of Americans – and in 2014, our ever-expanding coalition of supporters will work to make sure that voters don’t forget.
They already forgot.

Dumb@$$.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gallup- ... nt-problem
Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Think Gun Control is an Important Problem
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
monster_gardener

Hoosiernorm wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/3 ... lp00000009

Guns keep us safe
Thank You Very Much for your post, HoosierNorm.

Sad.

And stupidly negligent.

But not a reason for another law.

Remembering gun training.

Guns are ALWAYS to be treated as if loaded.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Guns keep us safe
Sad.

IIRC Mark Twain, no stranger to the American condition, wrote something to the effect of "imagine how much greater the carnage at the Battle of Waterloo if one side had been boys armed with their father's hunting rifles, and the other side had consisted of their younger female relatives."
monster_gardener

Fuller Twain quote.........

Ibrahim wrote:

Guns keep us safe
Sad.

IIRC Mark Twain, no stranger to the American condition, wrote something to the effect of "imagine how much greater the carnage at the Battle of Waterloo if one side had been boys armed with their father's hunting rifles, and the other side had consisted of their younger female relatives."
Thank You Very Much for your post, Ibrahim.

This seems to be a fuller and less prone to misinterpretation quote:
Don’t meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don’t have to take any pains at all with them; you don’t have to have a rest, you don’t have to have any sights on the gun, you don’t have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can’t hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.
http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=61
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Time to outlaw dogs and cars.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/p ... B12%2Bnews
A man riding a lawn mower in Davidson County was killed when he was hit by a truck Tuesday afternoon.

North Carolina Highway Patrol troopers said Edward Burcham, 50, was driving east on Holly Grove Road when he swerved to miss a dog that ran out in front of his truck about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The truck went off the road and struck Bobby Wayne Lambert, 73, as he was riding a lawn mower.

Lambert died at the scene. Charges were pending against Burcham, troopers said.