Issues of Race in the USA

Nonc Hilaire

Re: Honkys and Niggers | Race in the USA Issue

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Race is real, Doc. People instinctively like those who resemble themselves, and distrust those who are different.
A bit of projection there.
Dude, just google it. I'll get you started.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ho-look-us
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... -find.html
http://www.thedatereport.com/dating/att ... -like-you/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I didn't mean to imply projection was just limited to you.
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

White Liberal "Racism"

Post by Doc »

I can't imagine a bigger white liberal magnet than a Napa Valley train. I can't imagine anything that reeks white liberal and "racism" more than calling the cops on a group of "loud" black women.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Boot ... 462939.php
Booted book club shrugs off Napa Wine Train’s apology

By Evan Sernoffsky Updated 5:54 pm, Monday, August 24, 2015

A group of African American women who are part of a book club were kicked off the Napa Valley Wine Train on Saturday. Photo: Lisa Johnson

Photo: Lisa Johnson
Image 1 of 6

A group of African American women who are part of a book club were kicked off the Napa Valley Wine Train on Saturday.

Napa Valley Wine Train representatives attempted to apologize Monday to a book club of mostly African American women who were kicked off on Saturday after employees said their loud conversation and laughing bothered some customers.

But one of the women involved in the incident dismissed the apology, saying Monday that the company was “playing the spin game” rather than accepting responsibility for the incident.

News of the episode — which The Chronicle reported Sunday — has since erupted on social media and across Internet news websites, and prompted many, including the women involved, to question whether race played a role in the banishment.

“We want to apologize to them for their experience and listen to their concerns and complaints,” said Sam Singer, a crisis communications expert hired Monday to be the company’s spokesman. “The company takes this very seriously. They recognize they have a group that feels very displeased and disrespected.”
Related Stories

Black women ‘humiliated’ after getting kicked off Napa Valley Wine Train
As Napa cheers quake recovery, some question tourism focus

The women received a full refund and were given a ride in a van after they were booted off the train, but 47-year-old Lisa Johnson, one of the book-club members, said that didn’t cut it.

She said the women where humiliated and that the incident “felt like a racist attack.” She wants the company to acknowledge what it did was wrong.

“We believe that in order to apologize, they need to accept responsibility,” Johnson said Monday, saying she read an apology from the Napa Valley Wine Train, but added she had yet to speak directly with anyone from the company. “They’re playing the spin game. It doesn’t feel authentic. They haven’t acknowledged anything that they did was wrong.”

The ordeal began around 11 a.m. Saturday when the 11 book-club members set out aboard the train that runs from Napa to St. Helena through Northern California’s renowned wine region.

But after some uncomfortable interactions with a manager on the train, who repeatedly told the group to quiet down, the women were told they needed to get off because customers were complaining about their loud talking and laughing.

Johnson documented the events on her Facebook page, saying she was shocked by the treatment, especially because the other passengers seemed to be having a good time, too.

She admitted the group was at times rambunctious, but never obnoxious or intoxicated.

“Drinking, to my knowledge, was not an issue,” Singer said. “It was the noise level and respect for other passengers that was the issue.”

A company spokeswoman on Sunday told The Chronicle that guests are removed from the train about once a month.

Getting kicked off, Johnson said, was the most humiliating part of the ordeal. The group - which included an 83-year-old grandmother and a woman who uses a cane — was forced to do a “walk of shame” past other passengers while disembarking in St. Helena, Johnson said.

Making matters worse, police were waiting at the station, though, “no police action was taken,” authorities said Sunday. The company then posted — then deleted — a message about the run-in on Facebook that read in part: “Following verbal and physical abuse towards other guests and staff, it was necessary to get our police involved.”

On Monday, Johnson said the company is “not owning anything other than saying, ‘We’re sorry you had a bad experience.’ They told everybody that we were physically abusive to staff.”

Social media outrage followed the incident, prompting the hashtag #LaughingWhileBlack and inspiring hundreds of people to take their aggression out on the Napa Valley Wine Train’s Yelp page.

“If a group of mature intelligent women can not ride this train for fear of laughing too loud, this is not the right environment for me,” one Yelp user wrote. “Oppressive. No laughter allowed. Don’t spend your money here.”

In wake of the backlash, Singer said “the first thing is to hear (the book club’s) side of the story and apologize and to see how they want to move forward.

“This is an issue about respect for everyone,” he added. “We want to make sure the book club feels respect.”

One of the passengers spoke with local radio station Live 105, saying they were told only one passenger actually complained.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Re: White Liberal "Racism"

Post by YMix »

I don't like loud people on the bus, the tram or the train. Took an early bus one morning and almost everyone settled in and went to sleep except for two women who just had to catch up and gossip the entire ride. Of course their seats were right behind mine. :roll:
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:I don't like loud people on the bus, the tram or the train. Took an early bus one morning and almost everyone settled in and went to sleep except for two women who just had to catch up and gossip the entire ride. Of course their seats were right behind mine. :roll:
:lol:

Ymix,

This post is not entirely consistent with your signature....... :)

People, they're all like that...... ;)
YMix

Post by YMix »

The gossiping few should shut their traps. At the very least, they could've discussed something interesting... to me. 8-)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

tl;dr this latest bit of butt hurt.
What mighty Contests rise from trivial Things.
The high speed trains in China were a bit of a culture shock :wink:

In Japan, everyone talks quietly in the carriages.
Phone calls are only answered in the corridor area connecting trains, separated from the passenger seating area by doors.

In China, it's like being in a Chinese restaurant. Everyone is talking loudly everywhere, either to each other or on their mobile phones.

Kids running up and down the aisles or bouncing up and down in the seat in from of me.

Found the cultural differences simply amusing, without trying to read any deep meaning into it.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I was on a late night tube in London and a crowd of drunk Brits were singing 'Swing low sweet chariot' at the tops of their voices (good harmony). It was both amusing and endearing, but you had to be in the mood for it. If I was tired out or had a toothache it would have been a tough ride.

Alex.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Really scraping the bottom of the wine barrel with this one, Doc.
Doc

Post by Doc »

dG7mZQvaQD

The full and correct youtube code is required in order to view the embedded video:

dG7mZQvaQDk
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:dG7mZQvaQDk

Finally, a post that is easy to read in-to....... and screw all y'all who don't agree...... ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:dG7mZQvaQDk

Finally, a post that is easy to read in-to....... and screw all y'all who don't agree...... ;)
Sorry Something is wrong with my browser. I can't see youtube posts on this forum half the time except by quoting and pasting the link.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:Really scraping the bottom of the wine barrel with this one, Doc.
Am I really?

YMix

Post by YMix »

History indeed. The GOP's views have changed somewhat since the mid-1800s.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:History indeed. The GOP's views have changed somewhat since the mid-1800s.
Civil rights acts of 1957 1960 and 1964 were are passed by republicans voting overwhelmingly for them. That was the democrats giving into idea of equal rights.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:Civil rights acts of 1957 1960 and 1964 were are passed by republicans voting overwhelmingly for them. That was the democrats giving into idea of equal rights.
Those, too, had happened before the South changed its political allegiance. Also, see The Years of Lyndon Johnson for details on the backroom horse trading regarding these bills.
Doc

Post by Doc »

deleted duplicate
Last edited by Doc on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:
Doc wrote:Civil rights acts of 1957 1960 and 1964 were are passed by republicans voting overwhelmingly for them. That was the democrats giving into idea of equal rights.
Those, too, had happened before the South changed its political allegiance. Also, see The Years of Lyndon Johnson for details on the backroom horse trading regarding these bills.
SO?? If you have not noticed the South has changed a lot more than either party has.

The original confederate state of South Carolina Senator TIm Scott:

Originally appointed(before being re-elected) by the Second Indian American governor Nikki Haley. The first of course Bobby Jindal. Now why is it that there are no Indian American governors outside the "Old South" And the ones that are are from India AND REPUBLICANS Could it be that progressives and Democrats(AKA White Liberal "racists") don't like people from India???
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:SO?? If you have not noticed the South has changed a lot more than either party has.
If you say so. :)
Originally appointed(before being re-elected) by the Second Indian American governor Nikki Haley. The first of course Bobby Jindal. Now why is it that there are no Indian American governors outside the "Old South" Could it be that progressives don't like people from India???
Ask them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:
Doc wrote:SO?? If you have not noticed the South has changed a lot more than either party has.
If you say so. :)
Originally appointed(before being re-elected) by the Second Indian American governor Nikki Haley. The first of course Bobby Jindal. Now why is it that there are no Indian American governors outside the "Old South" Could it be that progressives don't like people from India???
Ask them.

Ask them what you made the original claim out of ignorance because some progressive told you so.

BTW How come you are not showing online? I mean you just posted twice in a few minutes but I have not noticed your avatar with the online banner. What's up with that?
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:Ask them what you made the original claim out of ignorance because some progressive told you so.
The original claim being that you shouldn't brag about things the GOP did in the 19th century. I stand by it. It makes you sound like Azari.
BTW How come you are not showing online? I mean you just posted twice in a few minutes but I have not noticed your avatar with the online banner. What's up with that?
I left the page as soon as I posted. If that's not it, then I have no idea.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:
Doc wrote:Ask them what you made the original claim out of ignorance because some progressive told you so.
The original claim being that you shouldn't brag about things the GOP did in the 19th century. I stand by it. It makes you sound like Azari.

And I replied by giving you facts about things the Republicans did in the 20th century over the objections of many democrats including LBJ initially.
I left the page as soon as I posted. If that's not it, then I have no idea.
None here either.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Doc wrote:And I replied by giving you facts about things the Republicans did in the 20th century over the objections of many democrats including LBJ initially.
Actually, LBJ had to work pretty hard to get House Republicans to help him threaten Judge Smith with a petition to discharge the 1964 CRA bill from the House Rules Committee. The problem wasn't racism, but the reluctance to undermine a committee chairman, something Southern Democrats knew and counted on. The point being that it's not just about racism and acceptance, but about more complex issues. In the mid-19th century, the GOP was the conduit of choice for the abolition of slavery. Later, in a different situation, it saw fit to appeal to the heirs of the very same South. Now you're saying the South has changed. Maybe. What I see is that reactionary nativists prefer to flock to the GOP's banner.

Despite that black senator from Georgia, the current image of the Republican Party is this:

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

YMix wrote:History indeed. The GOP's views have changed somewhat since the mid-1800s.
What specifically.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

YMix wrote:What I see is...
:D

We all know what that's worth.