China

Typhoon

Re: China

Post by Typhoon »

Okay, back to PR China.

FT | China is less likely to back Russia while facing troubles of its own
Systemic risk in the property sector and early signs of Japanification threaten both its economy and alliances
Ruchir Sharma

For all the focus on how Russia’s economy is in trouble, isolated and battered by western sanctions, China, its most important ally, faces serious tremors as well. No other major country is showing deeper sinkholes of economic trouble.

After building for months, financial stress emanating from the Chinese property sector has blown out to unprecedented levels in recent weeks, destabilising an already brittle economy and making it less likely that Beijing will aggressively support Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Unsure whether the troubled property developers are just illiquid and temporarily short on cash, or insolvent and unlikely to survive, big Chinese lenders are wary of extending new loans. Finding it difficult to raise money at home, the developers have been forced to borrow abroad at exorbitant rates. The spread between high-yield bonds in the overseas Chinese market and government bonds is now at a staggering 3,000 basis points, a level last seen during in the 2008 financial crisis.

Property is critical to growth in China. About 25 per cent of gross domestic product and 40 per cent of bank assets in China are tied to the property market, where estimates of the effective default rate on high-yield bonds are close to 25 per cent, a record high. Dependence on foreign capital is high, but in February foreigners sold off China’s local currency government bonds at an unprecedented pace, twice the previous monthly high.

These uncertainties echo the doubts that haunted the US financial system in 2008, when lenders could not tell which big borrowers would live through the crisis and credit markets froze. Chinese policymakers seem aware that they cannot afford confrontations that further destabilise financial conditions.

Are you personally affected by the War in Ukraine? We want to hear from you

Are you from Ukraine? Do you have friends and family in or from Ukraine whose lives have been upended? Or perhaps you’re doing something to help those individuals, such as fundraising or housing people in your own homes. We want to hear from you. Tell us via a short survey.

Liu He, the top economic adviser to Chinese president Xi Jinping, recently tried to calm the markets by addressing concerns about how the government is handling problems in the property sector, the regulation of big tech platforms, a surge in Covid-19 cases and more. His comments brought some relief to financial markets, but systemic risk in the property sector remains high.

The fact that credit growth in China continues to be weak despite central bank efforts to stimulate the economy may be an early-stage sign of Japanification. With its rising debt, shrinking population and market turmoil, China looks increasingly like Japan did in the 1990s. That’s when Japan entered a deflationary trap, as lenders became reluctant to lend no matter how much liquidity the central bank pumped into the system.

Total debt in China has tripled over the past three decades to nearly 300 per cent of GDP, the level hit by Japan around 1990, at the start of its so-called lost decades. China’s working age population started to contract in 2015, a step toward stagnation that Japan crossed in the mid-90s.

Fewer workers mean slower growth. Looking at data from 200 countries going back six decades, my research found 38 cases of a country’s working-age population shrinking for a full decade. GDP growth in those countries averaged just 1.5 per cent and surpassed 6 per cent in only three cases. All three were small nations in special circumstances, such as recovering from a crisis.

Strong economic growth is virtually unheard of when the working-age population is shrinking, which makes it highly unlikely Beijing can hit its growth target of close to 6 per cent, particularly when productivity is also declining.

Chinese state capitalism has been a success when the state was in retreat, but now it is on the march. The government is posing aggressive new regulations on high-productivity sectors such as tech and taking draconian steps to control the pandemic. Beijing’s campaign to limit Covid-19 cases to zero shielded much of the population from infection, but also left them vulnerable to new variants. Now these variants are surging, triggering new lockdowns under the “zero-Covid” policy. Economic activity including factory output and retail sales looks set to contract this month and next.

So the west faces a more vulnerable, and possibly less unified, eastern front in the new cold war than many global observers have accounted for. With an economy just one-tenth the size of China’s, Russia is in a state of financial peril without equal, largely cut off from the rest of the world. But to an extent that is widely under-appreciated, China faces perils too and risks great damage to its vulnerable economy if it does anything that cancels foreign capital. That means Beijing is likely to think twice before offering generous support to Russia or defying western sanctions against the war.

The writer is chair of Rockefeller International
The revisionist autocrat XI becoming the red emperor may prove to be a a stroke of luck to the West.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:33 am

Okay, back to PR China.

FT | China is less likely to back Russia while facing troubles of its own
Systemic risk in the property sector and early signs of Japanification threaten both its economy and alliances

posting.php?mode=quote&f=19&p=159818

China’s private firms see Russia as land of opportunity, up for grabs amid West’s exodus

From car parts to food and household cleaners, smaller private firms in China are seeking ways to capitalise on the “void” left by a mass exodus of high-profile Western brands from the Russian market.

. . created opportunities for Chinese firms, despite warnings from the United States and its allies over providing assistance to help circumvent the various bans and restrictions imposed on Russia.

After seeing a number of car companies drop out of the Russian market, Li Dan decided to expand her company in Moscow to also make and sell car parts for American and European brands.

Ymtzv60blnI

Chinese will take over now

Just next door

We will … explore ways to work with Russian companies under the backdrop of the belt and road strategic development
Wang Chuanbao, Federation of Overseas Chinese in Moscow
Heracleum Persicum

In the past, uTube (probably pressured by NSA) cancelled all Iranian government uTube clips , now cancelled RT clips too

China's CGTN now posting all Russian and Iranian news clip on uTube.

Let's see whether uTube dares to touch CGTN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eus9YX16lXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXqtB1j-QMw
Doc

Post by Doc »

Survivors Recount Atrocities of the Chinese Communist Party

"By his own words Karl Marx was a Satanist. Created the template of Communism from the bible

Turn on the autogenerated closed Caption to see what the Chinese speakers are saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkU6k2LGmc

qZkU6k2LGmc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 pm

"By his own words Karl Marx was a Satanist. Created the template of Communism from the bible

Turn on the autogenerated closed Caption to see what the Chinese speakers are saying

qZkU6k2LGmc

I always thought why others care about Chinese or Vietnamese or Cubans suffering under "communist system rule".

If they suffer and dont like it, they will change the system, no need of foreign help

With all due respect, Doc, when Brits were beheading Chinese on Shanghai streets less than 100 yrs ago, notion Brits or Americans care about Chinese people well being, a bit stretched

Let Chinese suffer under CCP rule, they deserve it :lol:

https://www.hurun.net/en-US/Info/Detail ... AS8B997XUP

https://www.rt.com/business/553679-shen ... es-number/

Former fishing village in China has more billionaires than New York

China now hosts three cities with the greatest number of billionaires in the world, data from Global Rich List, an annual ranking prepared by the Shanghai-based research firm Hurun Report, shows.

The greatest number of billionaires – 144 – live in Beijing, followed by Shanghai with 121. New York used to occupy the third spot with 110, but was recently outdone by Shenzhen, a former fishing village turned China’s Silicon Valley, with 113 of the globe’s most wealthy. The city has been basking in a growing concentration of wealth, adding eight billionaires to its list since last year.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:05 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 pm

qZkU6k2LGmc

I always thought why others care about Chinese or Vietnamese or Cubans suffering under "communist system rule".

If they suffer and dont like it, they will change the system, no need of foreign help

With all due respect, Doc, when Brits were beheading Chinese on Shanghai streets less than 100 yrs ago, notion Brits or Americans care about Chinese people well being, a bit stretched

Let Chinese suffer under CCP rule, they deserve it :lol:

https://www.hurun.net/en-US/Info/Detail ... AS8B997XUP

https://www.rt.com/business/553679-shen ... es-number/

Former fishing village in China has more billionaires than New York

China now hosts three cities with the greatest number of billionaires in the world, data from Global Rich List, an annual ranking prepared by the Shanghai-based research firm Hurun Report, shows.

The greatest number of billionaires – 144 – live in Beijing, followed by Shanghai with 121. New York used to occupy the third spot with 110, but was recently outdone by Shenzhen, a former fishing village turned China’s Silicon Valley, with 113 of the globe’s most wealthy. The city has been basking in a growing concentration of wealth, adding eight billionaires to its list since last year.
HP Nobody love the Chinese people like the CCP love the Chinese people NOBODY. CCP Protect Chinese people from Foreign Devils. Protect Chinese babies from hearing snake words of Foreign devils. Mao say better dead than unred. Nobody love Chinese people like that!!

Last edited by Doc on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The absolute number of billionaires in any nation is not a proxy measure of its relative success.

As an aside:

If one does want to compare billionaires between nations, the better measure is billionaires per capita; and

it's a complex topic: "Why some billionaires are bad for [economic] growth and others are not" [PDF]

What does matter is what percentage of the population is middle class and perceive themselves to have prospects
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:14 am The absolute number of billionaires in any nation is not a proxy measure of its relative success.

As an aside:

If one does want to compare billionaires between nations, the better measure is billionaires per capita; and

it's a complex topic: "Why some billionaires are bad for [economic] growth and others are not" [PDF]

What does matter is what percentage of the population is middle class and perceive themselves to have prospects

All true

but

For sure Chinese people not suffering under CCP :lol:

That is what West is pissed off

Now, world watching the "western system" and "Chinese system" .. world is watching who will bring Billions people out of poverty

China and India have same # of population .. If China lifts their 1.4 Billion people out of poverty , what would India think ?

Would India think, NO, we follow American system which last 50 yrs made 3rd world not only poorer but even wiped out American middle class. In 2008 housing scam by Wall Street American middle class lost all their houses to Blackrock and now renting their homes from Blackrock :lol:

https://slate.com/business/2021/06/blac ... state.html

American middle class does not exists anymore .. rich richer, poor poorer

That is what West now facing

Notion CCP this & that does not convince India or Africa or Latin America

BTW , my post answering Doc, disappeared :D

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:14 am The absolute number of billionaires in any nation is not a proxy measure of its relative success.

As an aside:

it's a complex topic: [url="Why some billionaires are bad for [economic] growth and others are not"[/url] ]PDF]

It all depends on what use the Billionaires put their money to. The reason for corporations to be legal entities is to improve society for the general welfare of all. How many jobs do they create? How widely do they increase the wealth of the general population? If it is only about a Billionaire having the most "toys" then the corporation as a legal entity is a failure.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 am

As an aside:

it's a complex topic: [url="Why some billionaires are bad for [economic] growth and others are not"[/url] ]PDF]

It all depends on what use the Billionaires put their money to. The reason for corporations to be legal entities is to improve society for the general welfare of all. How many jobs do they create? How widely do they increase the wealth of the general population? If it is only about a Billionaire having the most "toys" then the corporation as a legal entity is a failure.

American (or any) corporations allegiance is to their shareholders ... it neither is to "improve society", nor to "increase the wealth of the general population" nor "general welfare of all" nor "create jobs". The JOB of any CEO is to maximize profit (within the law).

The job of legislator, law makers, is to pass laws that assure :

- general welfare of all
- increase the wealth of the general population
- improve society
Heracleum Persicum

https://asiatimes.com/2022/04/new-china ... ech-sales/

China’s smart city concept also has fundamental differences with Western ideas. In contrast to Western ideas wherein publicly collected information must be anonymized, China’s police are working closely with tech companies to link big data to specific names and ID numbers.

While China’s smart city concept offers convenience and cost savings, it also brings certain risks as authoritarian regimes can use this technology to clamp down on dissent.

They also raise the possibility of Chinese state security services using its smart city exports to extract sensitive data from client countries. In extreme cases, China may opt to use a “kill switch” for its smart city exports, thereby paralyzing citywide operations.

Things probably moving in this direction worldwide
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... r-citizens

How Democracies Spy on Their Citizens

NSO Group’s software has been linked to repressive regimes, but now “all types of governments” use it
noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 am .

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... r-citizens

How Democracies Spy on Their Citizens

NSO Group’s software has been linked to repressive regimes, but now “all types of governments” use it
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4036
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

China Defence Minister Wei Fenghe in Tehran

LOL.png
LOL.png (4.45 MiB) Viewed 1538 times

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/militar ... ooperation

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diploma ... pe=article

China, Iran agree to push military ties to higher level

Defence Minister Wei Fenghe said during a visit to Tehran that he was keen to see the two countries working together more closely

Diplomatic and military analysts said Beijing is keen to strengthen ties with opponents of the US following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

Iran bought 24 Chinese J-10C , deliver is beginning 2023 .. same as Pakistan received dropping US jets.

Comparing J-10C & Rafale

J10C can carry more advanced, fourth-generation air-to-air missiles including the short-range PL-10 and the beyond-visual-range PL-15.

Iranian media (openly) say, China and Iran agreed, all Iranian military purchases, C-10C jet fighters, air to air missiles etc etc, will be paid by Oil shipments .. all Iranian government purchases from China will be paid by Oil shipments.

Iran has already a big (ex custom) "bonded oil storage" in China ports with millions of barrels in standby
Heracleum Persicum

Signed and sealed .. Iran bought two squadrons/24 of J-10 fighter from China .. delivery still in 2022 .. paid by Oil

LOL-2.png
LOL-2.png (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1527 times
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ormal.html

China is not sneering at us any more: Blockading families in their homes, forcing children to wear hazmat suits, robot dogs patrolling the streets... the new Chinese Covid crackdown is brutal - as life in the despised West is back to norm
al

Shanghai remains in lockdown as China pursues brutal 'zero-Covid' strategy
One video shows hazmat-suited workers drilling doors of a restaurant shut to prevent those inside from leaving, as two elderly men were pictured in disbelief
Another showed young children arriving at school clad in white hazmat suits

By Ian Williams For The Daily Mail

Published: 17:31 EDT, 28 April 2022 | Updated: 02:28 EDT, 29 April 2022

The red flatbed trucks began arriving after dawn, men in white hazmat suits unloading sections of green metal caging.

Residents peered nervously from windows of tall apartment blocks, as the figures below erected the fencing across the entrances to their skyscrapers, caging them into their homes.

This is the Pudong district of Shanghai, deemed a high-risk Covid area in need of what the city authorities call ‘hard isolation’, and where residents say they are being treated like animals.

‘Could we also put fences around the homes of Shanghai leaders?’ asked one, as their photos and videos coursed through Chinese social media, pursued by the Communist Party’s ever-zealous censors.

The story is the same in the rest of Shanghai’s districts. One video shows more hazmat-suited workers drilling the doors shut at a restaurant in the city to prevent those inside from leaving. Two elderly men look out in disbelief.

Elsewhere, more men-in-white beat a group of residents demanding food, lashing out viciously with long sticks.

Phone cameras caught still more PPE-wearing thugs slapping and shoving boys and girls into a van to be taken to one of the city’s 100 compulsory quarantine centres that await all those testing positive.

Sometimes the scenes have bordered on the surreal.

One video posted on Monday showed young children arriving at school clad in all-encompassing white hazmat suits of their own. They lumbered through the school gate in unwieldy fashion, like tiny Michelin Men, waving awkwardly at the camera.

This is the face of China’s extraordinary — and barbaric — zero-Covid policy. For many of Shanghai’s residents, the draconian lockdown has lasted more than three weeks. Countless numbers have been confined to their homes, under strict government instruction to isolate even if they don’t have the virus.

Neighbourhoods are divided into three categories based on the risk of transmission. Those in the first category endure the strictest Covid-19 controls and have just been hit with heightened measures. The 2 m-high green fences now block entrances to residential housing in many of these areas.

It appears they are designed to stop those living inside a complex that has a reported Covid case from leaving their homes — whether or not they have the virus. Under China’s unbending controls, anyone over the age of seven who tests positive — even if they are asymptomatic or have a mild infection — must be isolated in centralised quarantine facilities.

Despite evidence that the Omicron variant is less deadly than the original strain, China persists in its leader Xi Jinping’s determination to eradicate the virus completely — a policy that is now devastating its economy, and has even prompted Western stock markets to tumble.

While the focus has been on Shanghai, which has so far recorded 400,000 cases and 138 deaths, all but 13 of China’s richest 100 cities have imposed some form of quarantine restriction, and the intensity is increasing.

The capital, Beijing, has launched mass testing for some 3.5 million people who live and work in the city’s biggest district of Chaoyang, after 26 cases were reported over the weekend.

Schools and gyms are closing down, while vegetables, toilet paper and instant noodles are sold out in the city’s supermarkets as people stockpile, fearful of a lockdown as harsh as Shanghai’s.

That city’s outbreak is China’s worst since Wuhan, and it has been like a virtual ghost town since going into lockdown in early April.

Chinese social media has exploded with anger in a way not seen since the early days of the pandemic in Wuhan, with censors struggling to eliminate the criticism.

Members of the Blue Sky Rescue Team disinfect a residential community during the phased lockdown triggered by the COVID-19 outbreak on April 24, 2022 in Shanghai, China

At nightfall, Shanghai’s districts echo with the sound of pots and pans being banged in protest.

This time, the concern is not predominantly with the virus itself, but with food shortages.

Those allowed to visit supermarkets have reported empty shelves.

For those unable to leave their homes, commercial food services and government-provided packages are unreliable.

People have reported waking up in the early hours of the morning to order supplies online, only to be told that deliveries have already been suspended for the day. Since Shanghai’s tap water is not drinkable, deliveries of bottled water are vital.

The food scarcity has even driven some to forage roadside plants — leading to reported cases of food poisoning.

There have been harrowing online pleas for help with medicine and food as a video emerged of residents of a high-rise apartment yelling from their windows: ‘We’re starving.’ Another showed people fighting over food.

One flashpoint has been the conditions in Shanghai’s mandated quarantine centres.

From these facilities have emerged reports of overflowing lavatories, cold showers and little privacy. In one, 4,000 people were living in cubicles next to each other in a vast exhibition hall, with no showers.

There was a national outcry over a video showing crying children separated from their parents and crammed into metal-barred beds.

Elsewhere, a man who had lost the will to live threatened to throw himself off the indoor balcony of one crowded quarantine facility.

Meanwhile, thousands of Chinese social media users unable to leave their apartments have shared stories of people with life-threatening illnesses who have been unable to get treatment.

Trucks bringing supplies into the city have their cab doors sealed, to prevent the driver getting out. Plastic buckets are handed to them through the windows should they need the toilet.

A harrowing six-minute video, entitled Voices Of April, contains audio snippets of anger and grief as a drone-camera slowly moves over the city.

The snippets include the cries of babies separated from their parents in quarantine, pleas for food and urgent medical care — as well as the cold indifference of officials.

It went viral, but censors eventually deleted it.

Other social media mocked the authorities by posting images from the movie Night Of The Living Dead, suggesting China’s business capital of 25 million people was experiencing its own zombie apocalypse.

That analogy seemed all the more fitting on Monday as the city was lashed with heavy rain and winds, sending litter bins flying across the empty roads.

Despite the clamours for relaxing lockdown measures, President Xi insists: ‘Prevention and control work cannot be relaxed’ and ‘Persistence is victory’.

Many Chinese epidemiologists regard that as lunacy, but it is Xi’s lunacy and in today’s China, the ‘emperor’ cannot be questioned.

Complete ‘victory’ over the virus has become a key part of the cult of Xi. It underpins the Communist Party’s triumphalism and Xi’s boasts of China being superior to the bungling West.

In the parallel world of official propaganda, China’s state-owned media insists there is ‘faith in zero-Covid policy’ and ‘Residents’ lives made easier’. Such claims are widely ridiculed.

It is hard to think of any other country, even among autocracies, that could impose China’s combination of claustrophobic surveillance and casual brutality towards those who disobey the party.

The surveillance has reached new extremes, including the deployment of robots and drones to herd Shanghai’s desperate population.

The robots include a dog called Preserved Egg (named after a famous Chinese dish), about the size of a terrier. It roams Shanghai’s deserted streets and apartment corridors barking orders to stay inside and rousing residents when it is their turn to come downstairs for yet another round of compulsory testing.

On Monday, there was a revolt at the city’s famous Fudan University, which has been festooned with cameras to enforce lockdown rules.

‘It’s a university, not a concentration camp’ . . . ‘Against surveillance! Against bureaucracy! Against micro-fascism’ were just some of the banners that went up on campus (and spread on social media) after more white suits were photographed installing cameras outside the female toilet.

Shanghai’s stock exchange saw its biggest fall in two years on Monday, tumbling by more than 5 per cent.

That was partly out of the fear that Beijing may soon follow Shanghai into lockdown.

The economic cost of endless and severe lockdowns is undeniable. Even Li Keqiang, China’s premier and the man nominally in charge of economic affairs is sounding increasingly rattled, talking about the ‘greater uncertainties and challenges’ ahead.

China has been spooked by the way Covid-19 has swept through Hong Kong, where death rates reached the highest in the world.

Like in Hong Kong, vaccination rates among the elderly are low in China — only half the over-80s are fully vaccinated and just a fifth are boosted.

Add to that the lower efficacy rate of Chinese vaccines and China is highly vulnerable, even though the fast spreading Omicron variant is less deadly.

The Communist Party is becoming increasingly prickly, and as always is on the search for foreign conspirators to blame.

Officials have accused the U.S. of ‘weaponising’ the crisis, after the State Department ordered non-emergency staff to leave its Shanghai consulate — a move that was motivated more by China’s measures to control the virus than by the virus itself.

The U.S. announcement cited the risks of parents and children being separated — the forceable removal of Covid-positive children to quarantine has been one of the most controversial of Shanghai’s lockdown practices.

One widely-shared social media post asked, not unreasonably, whether the zero-Covid policy was not causing far more harm than the virus itself.

The post was deleted.

Ultimately, zero-Covid is a political strategy — Xi Jinping’s talisman.

Too much is at stake for him, especially this year, when he is expected to be anointed by the party as leader for life.

Xi has boxed himself into a corner. He is playing a large, expensive and increasingly futile game of Whac-A-Mole. It is hard to see how zero-Covid can be sustained. It is under strain as never before, and it is in Shanghai that its future is likely to be determined.

Ian Williams is author of Every Breath You Take: China’s New Tyranny, published by Birlinn.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reuters | Chinese buyout baron’s dissent challenges Beijing
HONG KONG, April 29 (Reuters Breakingviews) - A loyal Chinese capitalist has turned against the country’s Covid-19 policy. Buyout baron Shan Weijian, ordinarily a public supporter of President Xi Jinping’s tough policies, broke ranks over draconian lockdowns. In a private meeting, he painted a dire picture of economic and political instability in ways that may jeopardise the initial public offering of his private equity firm, PAG. Making an example of him could backfire, though.

Omicron-variant containment measures in cosmopolitan Shanghai have rattled the country’s elite read more . The griping is getting louder. Wang Sicong, son of billionaire Wang Jianlin, had his Weibo account shut down after he questioned the government’s endorsement of traditional medicines to treat the virus.

Wang is just a rich kid, but Shan is a symbol of China’s reform success. Caught up in Mao’s Cultural Revolution, he was sent to farm China’s Gobi Desert, but managed to make his way to the United States, studying under now-U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and landing jobs at the World Bank and JPMorgan. PAG manages some $50 billion and has invested in a slew of successful companies.

Shan also publicly backed China’s crackdowns in Hong Kong and Xinjiang. So when a trained economist like him says that “popular discontent in China is at the highest point in the past 30 years,” as the Financial Times reported, and warns of an economic crash, Chinese people inclined to discount foreign critics might take him more seriously.

In a podcast with Breakingviews in 2019, Shan warned about Chinese hubris. Scepticism of Beijing’s triumphal narrative is evident in financial markets. The country reported rosy first-quarter growth statistics, but the benchmark CSI300 index is down 20% this year and foreign funds are fleeing yuan assets read more . As lockdowns upend supply chains and suppress consumption, the government is falling back on debt-fueled infrastructure stimulus.

Shan may suffer the same fate as Alibaba (9988.HK) founder Jack Ma did with his financial technology outfit Ant after speaking out: a derailed IPO and endless regulatory headaches. Shan’s implicit political critique will be hard for Beijing to ignore even if his analysis is as hard to dispute as his patriotism. Yet his sentiments are also shared throughout the financial community that China needs to reassure. Beijing may be inclined to listen to him.

- Shan Weijian, the founder and chair of private equity firm PAG, said in a private meeting that China is in a “deep economic crisis” comparable to the global financial crash, the Financial Times reported on April 28, citing a video shared with reporters.

- “We think the Chinese economy at this moment is in the worst shape in the past 30 years,” he was quoted as saying. “The market sentiment towards Chinese stocks is also at the lowest point in the past 30 years. I also think popular discontent in China is at the highest point in the past 30 years.”

- PAG submitted a prospectus for an initial public offering to the Hong Kong stock exchange on March 25. The 12-year-old firm is looking to raise up to $2 billion at a valuation of between $10 billion and $15 billion, according to markets publication IFR.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

China in ‘deep crisis’, says Hong Kong private equity chief [paywalled]

PAG founder Weijian Shan decries Beijing’s zero-Covid policies as country’s growth slows
Tabby Kinder and Hudson Lockett in Hong Kong YESTERDAY

The founder and chair of one of Asia’s biggest private equity investors has criticised the Chinese government for policies that he says have resulted in a “deep economic crisis” comparable to the global financial crash.

Weijian Shan, whose group PAG manages more than $50bn, said his fund had diversified away from China and was being “extremely careful” about its portfolio in the country.

“We think the Chinese economy at this moment is in the worst shape in the past 30 years,” he said in a video of a meeting viewed by the Financial Times.

“The market sentiment towards Chinese stocks is also at the lowest point in the past 30 years. I also think popular discontent in China is at the highest point in the past 30 years.”

In the video, Shan said that large parts of the Chinese economy, including its financial centre Shanghai, had been “semi-paralysed” by “draconian” zero-Covid policies and that the impact on the economy would be “profound”.

“China feels to us like the US and Europe in 2008,” Shan added. “While we remain long-term confident in China’s growth and market potentials, we are very cautious towards China markets.”

One person with knowledge of the meeting said the video was recorded during talks with brokers as part of a roadshow for the initial public offering of PAG in Hong Kong. PAG filed for a $2bn IPO last month that is expected to be the city’s largest new listing this year, valuing the group at up to $15bn. Shan did not respond to a question about the reason for the meeting.

Shan’s comments come as private equity and venture capital groups face mounting difficulties in making their China bets pay off, with many of the country’s fast-growing companies banned from raising capital abroad until sweeping new regulations on data security and foreign listings are finalised by Beijing. China’s zero-Covid policy, which has led to a five-week lockdown of its financial centre Shanghai, has also contributed to a sharp sell-off in Chinese stocks.

It is unusual for prominent executives who do business in China to criticise the country or its government. Last year, JPMorgan Chase chief executive Jamie Dimon issued two separate apologies after he made a joke that his bank would outlast the Chinese Communist party.

Shan is one of the most high-profile veteran financiers in Hong Kong and mainland China. He founded PAG in 2010. He was previously co-managing partner of private equity group TPG Capital Asia and led JPMorgan’s China team.

Shan has led several landmark transactions in China, including the 2005 acquisition of Shenzhen Development Bank, one of the first deals by a foreign investor in a Chinese bank, when he was at TPG.

Earlier this year, he was appointed to the board of Alibaba as an independent director. He has also served on the boards of state-owned Bank of China Hong Kong, Baosteel, a Chinese state-owned steel producer, and Lenovo, China’s largest computer company.

Beijing kicked off an unprecedented regulatory crackdown in July last year after ride-sharing platform Didi Chuxing listed in New York despite warnings from regulators over data security concerns.

The crackdown, which is part of President Xi Jinping’s “common prosperity” drive, has divided investors. Some international investors believe that the common prosperity policy has heightened the risk of government interference in the private sector, declaring China “uninvestable”.

Others have argued that government intervention in China does not derail longer-term structural trends, such as a growing middle class of consumers.

China-focused private equity and venture capital groups enjoyed bumper returns from exits as recently as the first half of 2021 thanks to a surge of listings in New York and Hong Kong by Chinese companies.

That helped boost investor interest and pushed funds raised in Greater China to more than $72bn last year, marking the first rise in five years, according to figures from investment data company Preqin. But activity in the second half dropped sharply and fundraising in the first two months of 2022 totalled just $1.4bn.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:47 am China in ‘deep crisis’, says Hong Kong private equity chief [paywalled]

PAG founder Weijian Shan decries Beijing’s zero-Covid policies as country’s growth slows
Tabby Kinder and Hudson Lockett in Hong Kong YESTERDAY

The founder and chair of one of Asia’s biggest private equity investors has criticised the Chinese government for policies that he says have resulted in a “deep economic crisis” comparable to the global financial crash.

Weijian Shan, whose group PAG manages more than $50bn, said his fund had diversified away from China and was being “extremely careful” about its portfolio in the country.

“We think the Chinese economy at this moment is in the worst shape in the past 30 years,” he said in a video of a meeting viewed by the Financial Times.

“The market sentiment towards Chinese stocks is also at the lowest point in the past 30 years. I also think popular discontent in China is at the highest point in the past 30 years.”

In the video, Shan said that large parts of the Chinese economy, including its financial centre Shanghai, had been “semi-paralysed” by “draconian” zero-Covid policies and that the impact on the economy would be “profound”.

“China feels to us like the US and Europe in 2008,” Shan added. “While we remain long-term confident in China’s growth and market potentials, we are very cautious towards China markets.”

One person with knowledge of the meeting said the video was recorded during talks with brokers as part of a roadshow for the initial public offering of PAG in Hong Kong. PAG filed for a $2bn IPO last month that is expected to be the city’s largest new listing this year, valuing the group at up to $15bn. Shan did not respond to a question about the reason for the meeting.

Shan’s comments come as private equity and venture capital groups face mounting difficulties in making their China bets pay off, with many of the country’s fast-growing companies banned from raising capital abroad until sweeping new regulations on data security and foreign listings are finalised by Beijing. China’s zero-Covid policy, which has led to a five-week lockdown of its financial centre Shanghai, has also contributed to a sharp sell-off in Chinese stocks.

It is unusual for prominent executives who do business in China to criticise the country or its government. Last year, JPMorgan Chase chief executive Jamie Dimon issued two separate apologies after he made a joke that his bank would outlast the Chinese Communist party.

Shan is one of the most high-profile veteran financiers in Hong Kong and mainland China. He founded PAG in 2010. He was previously co-managing partner of private equity group TPG Capital Asia and led JPMorgan’s China team.

Shan has led several landmark transactions in China, including the 2005 acquisition of Shenzhen Development Bank, one of the first deals by a foreign investor in a Chinese bank, when he was at TPG.

Earlier this year, he was appointed to the board of Alibaba as an independent director. He has also served on the boards of state-owned Bank of China Hong Kong, Baosteel, a Chinese state-owned steel producer, and Lenovo, China’s largest computer company.

Beijing kicked off an unprecedented regulatory crackdown in July last year after ride-sharing platform Didi Chuxing listed in New York despite warnings from regulators over data security concerns.

The crackdown, which is part of President Xi Jinping’s “common prosperity” drive, has divided investors. Some international investors believe that the common prosperity policy has heightened the risk of government interference in the private sector, declaring China “uninvestable”.

Others have argued that government intervention in China does not derail longer-term structural trends, such as a growing middle class of consumers.

China-focused private equity and venture capital groups enjoyed bumper returns from exits as recently as the first half of 2021 thanks to a surge of listings in New York and Hong Kong by Chinese companies.

That helped boost investor interest and pushed funds raised in Greater China to more than $72bn last year, marking the first rise in five years, according to figures from investment data company Preqin. But activity in the second half dropped sharply and fundraising in the first two months of 2022 totalled just $1.4bn.
https://youtu.be/QdC-rUYJmeE

QdC-rUYJmeE
Heracleum Persicum

Financial Times reports
China discusses protecting assets from U.S. sanctions with banks

https://www.ft.com/content/45d5fcac-3e6 ... 439e24b5de

1.png
1.png (291.49 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

April 30 (Reuters) - Chinese regulators held an emergency meeting with domestic and foreign banks to discuss how they could protect China's overseas assets from U.S.-led sanctions similar to those imposed on Russia after its invasion of Ukraine, The Financial Times reported, citing people familiar with the discussion.

Things fast tracking

All this was clear starting with Trump

West losing against China .. now West thinking there still a window (maybe 10-15 yrs) that West can prevail.

China is the economic arm, Russia the military arm .. and Iran in control of Middle East

India fence sitting

A war is coming, zero doubt

My prediction is, West going to lose

Winners will be, again, the 3rd world .. India , Iran , Latin America , Africa

Biggest loser will be Europe

Scots, Welsh will seperate, UK stop to exits.

East Europe will pay the price for the folly.
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... modernized

China is the world’s oldest surviving civilization, and yet very little material of its past remains—far less than in Europe or India. Through the centuries, waves of revolutionary iconoclasts have tried to smash everything old; the Red Guards, in the nineteen-sixties, were following an ancient tradition. The Chinese seldom built anything for eternity, anyway, nothing like the cathedrals of Europe. And what survived from the past was often treated with neglect.

So what accounts for the longevity of Chinese civilization?

Leys believed it was the written word, the richness of a language employing characters, partly ideographic, that have hardly changed over two thousand years. As Jing Tsu, a scholar of Chinese at Yale, observes in “Kingdom of Characters : The Language Revolution That Made China Modern” (Riverhead), China had long equated writing “with authority, a symbol of reverence for the past and a talisman of legitimacy.” This is why mastery of classical Chinese used to be so important.

To become an official in imperial China, one had to compose precise scholarly essays on Confucian philosophy, an arduous task that very few could complete. Even Chairman Mao, who incited his followers to destroy every vestige of tradition, proudly displayed his prowess as a calligrapher, establishing himself as the bearer of Chinese civilization.

NYT
“The story of the Chinese script revolution and how it came to modernize is really a story about China and the West,”

.. what happened was, as these Western technologies came in, along with imperialism and colonial dominance, China had to confront that it had to either play the game or be completely shut out. So this again was a long process, an arduous process, of how to get itself into the infrastructure of global communication technology.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/18/book ... g-tsu.html

Heracleum Persicum

Central European Institute of Asian Studies think tank :
Mainland Chinese support Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
and frown broadly on the US

public perceptions of Russia have improved over the past three years, with Russia now being the country the Chinese public now favors the most . .

Chinese public largely supports Moscow’s aggression, while public views about the US have significantly worsened in recent years, according to the survey’s organizers.

“Our findings show that the Chinese public was not disturbed by the Russian moves and actually seems to support Russia in the war,”

Of the Chinese who said their opinions of Russia had improved, it was because they trusted Russia’s leadership. Common responses were “trust Putin,” “Putin has guts,” “strong leadership.” Many Chinese also said they felt there was “brotherly love” between Russia and China, and believed that an “enemy of an enemy is our friend.”

India was the second-most negatively viewed country of the 25 surveyed, followed by Japan.

That settles the CCP argument rubbish
Heracleum Persicum

WSJ
China Insists Party Elites Shed Overseas Assets,
Eyeing Western Sanctions on Russia

Communist Party directive bars senior officials from owning property abroad or stakes in overseas entities,
whether directly or through spouses and children

HONG KONG—China’s Communist Party will block promotions for senior cadres whose spouses or children hold significant assets abroad, people familiar with the matter said, as Beijing seeks to insulate its top officials from the types of sanctions now being directed at Russia.

The ban, outlined in an internal notice by the party’s powerful Central Organization Department, could play a role in Chinese leader Xi Jinping’s efforts to increase his influence at a twice-a-decade leadership shuffle scheduled for later this year.

Billions of Dollars all kinds of asset will be sold and repatriated back to China

and

No Chinese money anymore for Western assets

Same thing now happening with Saudi Money .. they selling pretty much everything
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 pm .

WSJ

Communist Party directive bars senior officials from owning property abroad or stakes in overseas entities,

HONG KONG—China’s Communist Party will block promotions for senior cadres whose spouses or children hold significant assets abroad, people familiar with the matter said, as Beijing seeks to insulate its top officials from the types of sanctions now being directed at Russia.

The ban, outlined in an internal notice by the party’s powerful Central Organization Department, could play a role in Chinese leader Xi Jinping’s efforts to increase his influence at a twice-a-decade leadership shuffle scheduled for later this year.

Billions of Dollars all kinds of asset will be sold and repatriated back to China

and

Same thing now happening with Saudi Money .. they selling pretty much everything
What's the point of being a CCP "party elite" if one can't invest one's ill-gotten gains overseas.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:48 am
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 pm .

WSJ

and

What's the point of being a CCP "party elite" if one can't invest one's ill-gotten gains overseas.

China , Chinese people, being completely isolated till 1980, thought Western (mainly) economic and (social and political) system were something to look up to .. they did look up and followed American "Vulgar Capitalism", and flourished economically and built up the country

There are many articles now, that China's elite, Chinese people , China's Joe, changed their views about (mainly) America in 2003.. starting with Bush attacking Iraq and killing indiscriminately civilians,
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisour_Square_massacre) .. and later the Abu Gharib fiasco ... Afghanistan fiasco and wiping out Libya to have free oil.

"The straw that broke the camel's back" looking at what happened in March 2007, housing price collapse .. pretty much all Middle Class lost their homes to "Wall Street orchestrated scam", not a single Wall Street crooks were even indicted let alone going to jail .. instead 100s of billions of Dollars were given to Wall Street crooks without any oversight.

Well

Chinese, in many articles one can read, came to conclusion, American capitalism no capitalism but a (sort of) scam

And .. they looked on social and cultural decay in America, racism, daily shooting, and fake issues (abortion, prayer in school, etc) dominating the political scene .. and .. money electing politicians

That is when Chinese decided, American system no good for China .. that decision already happened post 2007 , 15 yrs ago .. that when China looked inwards to their own Chinese superior Culture and civilization of 1000s of yrs.

America, knew this change in china by 2010, that is when the animosity with China started

Chinese elite, rich , CCP or otherwise knew this and retreating since

Russians elite told same by Putin last 10 yrs , and recommended to bring back all money, most did .. that is why there nothing to be seized by West except worthless yachts and French villas .. in fact there much more Western assets in Russia than Russian asset in West.

Arab got the message now and selling all in West

In the meantime, mad mullahs laughing, and saying "told you"

Russia has contracted Iran to teach Russia how to circumvent (and profit from) sanctions .. Iran now openly helping Russia