Complaints

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Typhoon

Re: Complaints

Post by Typhoon »

Thanks. A lot of info.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies.

Any improvement?

Ran "Resynchronise topics".

The board does seem to run much faster for me now.
What ever that does it did take the glitch out of it. Using Firefox 18.1 and it might be the boards that I frequent. Levitas, Beautiful Women, and What Are You Listening To? are heavy on content so It might just be that. The boards with the larger visual content or hosted and inbedded content seem to have the hardest time loading. How many pages out can these boards go? I remember the old board being chopped after 50 pages due to difficulty hosting past that point.
"Resynchronise [dotted] topics" presumably cleaned and updates the database of topics.

This was something that had not been done since the founding of the board, mostly because I was not aware of the issue :?

I'll probably lock the bigger threads at 50 pages or so and start new ones. What Are You Listening To? is already past 50.

There are other factors such as one's connection speed, location, etc as other posters have pointed out.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Hasn't been an issue until the last week or so. I have worked on updating my browser, installed a few plug in's and cleared out everything to try to see if it was just me. I figured I would ask if anyone else was experiencing the same issue to see if it might be related to the board.
Been busy doing stuff
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Think it may have something to do with the festive Social Botnet icons recently installed here? :roll:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Farcus wrote:Think it may have something to do with the festive Social Botnet icons recently installed here? :roll:
The icons are tiny and there is no additional computation being done until a poster clicks an icon.

So it's unlikely.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

lookit alla them...... they're like shields hung up in the great hall in Valhalla.....
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:lookit alla them...... they're like shields hung up in the great hall in Valhalla.....
Because we can. :wink:
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

At least a couple years ago Torchwood wondered what would happen when the forum was discovered by someone who wasn't merely monomaniacal or outrageously rude and willfully ignorant (something that, after all, everyone can be at least some of the time), but actually set out to harass various members of the forum and actively provoked its destruction.

I think we are seeing that now.

re: sub-fora

I agree with those who say that there are now too many geographical subdivisions in the 'current events' sub-forum, and I say this as someone who has a passion for geography.

Soon there will be more categories than active posters.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Apollonius wrote:At least a couple years ago Torchwood wondered what would happen when the forum was discovered by someone who wasn't merely monomaniacal or outrageously rude and willfully ignorant (something that, after all, everyone can be at least some of the time), but actually set out to harass various members of the forum and actively provoked its destruction.
ive never really got into the problems some posters have with others but in this particular case the signal to noise ratio is 100% and the sociopathic egotism is causing me to ponder using the ignore button for the first time ever.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Apollonius wrote:At least a couple years ago Torchwood wondered what would happen when the forum was discovered by someone who wasn't merely monomaniacal or outrageously rude and willfully ignorant (something that, after all, everyone can be at least some of the time), but actually set out to harass various members of the forum and actively provoked its destruction.
ive never really got into the problems some posters have with others but in this particular case the signal to noise ratio is 100% and the sociopathic egotism is causing me to ponder using the ignore button for the first time ever.
As of several hours ago, that poster has been deleted.

Suspect that he was the banned "~" who went through a lot of trouble to mask his e-mail and IP address for his new nom de plume.

Could not be bothered to investigate further.

He was asked once to raise the level of his posts, but continued trolling, so he's gone.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Does not belong in Complain, but I must thank you Colonel Sun and YMix for your time and effort running this
fora .. I know it takes lots of time and patience .. thanks again

noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote:
As of several hours ago, that poster has been deleted.

Suspect that he was the banned "~" who went through a lot of trouble to mask his e-mail and IP address for his new nom de plume.

Could not be bothered to investigate further.

He was asked once to raise the level of his posts, but continued trolling, so he's gone.
yeh did seem to have simmilar subject matter fixations, minus the love of a depressed german.
Does not belong in Complain, but I must thank you Colonel Sun and YMix for your time and effort running this
fora .. I know it takes lots of time and patience .. thanks again
+1.

between a rotten tooth thats a bit expensive to fix causing lack of ability to focus and all sorts of other crap im not much into posting of late, however i do like to pop in and do appreciate the effort to keep it going.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

come on , noddy.. we want to know how the girls are doin :lol:

noddy

Post by noddy »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

come on , noddy.. we want to know how the girls are doin :lol:

send me a charlie sheen levels of cocaine and hooker money and ill see what i can do (*)

(*) i may or may not waste this money on paying off a housing loan and buying myself a good holiday and lots of top end camera gear....
ultracrepidarian
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Trolls never die, they just come back with more and more and more and more
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

added a few functions to the browser and it is quite snappy today for some reason. It may just be my computer, my wife told me she was having difficulty with her browser as well. May have a virus or an internal problem.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:added a few functions to the browser and it is quite snappy today for some reason. It may just be my computer, my wife told me she was having difficulty with her browser as well. May have a virus or an internal problem.
Fwiw, for virus and hacking prevention, I use Kaspersky.

A colleague once described it as the Stasi of virus/hacking prevention programs.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Trolls never die, they just come back with more and more and more and more
Indeed. However, that particular troll's pattern of behaviour is now quite clear, one might say self-evident.

His third try, a sock puppet named "Pimple Minded", lasted all of 3 minutes :wink:
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:added a few functions to the browser and it is quite snappy today for some reason. It may just be my computer, my wife told me she was having difficulty with her browser as well. May have a virus or an internal problem.

A colleague once described it as the Stasi of virus/hacking prevention programs.
I also use Kaspersky and it has kept my computer cleaner of viruses than any other system I used in the past.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I also use Kaspersky and it has kept my computer cleaner of viruses than any other system I used in the past.
Endo, None of the anti-virus programs work very well against newer threats. If you are using windows the malware removal tool works as well as anything out there.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=16

The best advice is to make sure you system is up to date with security patches. Plus a good firewall.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Yeah It's on my end. Now having difficulty with programs not responding and something keeps turning off the McAfee real time scanning and disabling my firewall. Currently doing a cloud back up with Carbonite to try and get as many of my pictures, music and other files backed up before the hard drive takes a complete crap on me. Will back it all up and then do a full restore on the system and if that doesn't do it then it's off to Staples to have a Tech check it out for me. The last computer I had before this one did a lot of the same things before it became so hard to operate that it was unusable. It had a hard drive that just gave out on it. Not sure if I will get a new system or just try to install a new hard drive.
Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Re: Japan

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:No need for the "quotes". There's no conspiracy. I've made that mistake before a few times when replying to various posts, accidentally hitting "Edit" instead of "Quote".

One of the downsides of having mod capabilities. My apologies for the unintended edit.

I did that so many times. I hated it.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:No need for the "quotes". There's no conspiracy. I've made that mistake before a few times when replying to various posts, accidentally hitting "Edit" instead of "Quote".

One of the downsides of having mod capabilities. My apologies for the unintended edit.

Maybe. But if you mistakenly edit a post, you can as easily un-edit it in order to restore it to its original form...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Enki wrote:

Maybe. But if you mistakenly edit a post, you can as easily un-edit it in order to restore it to its original form...
If one remembers exactly what the original post consisted of . . .
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Enki wrote:

If one remembers exactly what the original post consisted of . . .
Hitting the edit button by mistake, instead of the quote button, I can understand. Subsequently hitting the submit button seems an excessive lack of attention...