Another Joseph Smith; a problem for atheism

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Re: Another Joseph Smith; a problem for atheism

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:I'm just glad that the DNA confirms we were all made within a six day period. That's absolutely impossible to argue with from the DNA evidence.
I'll offer to make a JPY 10,000 bet, with the win going to a charity of the counter-party's choice, that artificial life will be created in the lab long before the Second Coming and/or
the Rapture Rupture(tm) occurs.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:I'm just glad that the DNA confirms we were all made within a six day period. That's absolutely impossible to argue with from the DNA evidence.
I'll offer to make a JPY 10,000 bet, with the win going to a charity of the counter-parties choice, that artificial life will be created in the lab long before the Second Coming and/or
You are saying that Artificial life will be created for the first time ?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
I'll offer to make a JPY 10,000 bet, with the win going to a charity of the counter-parties choice, that artificial life will be created in the lab long before the Second Coming and/or
What is your definition of life, and of artificial life? A reverse in entropy? A violation of the second law of thermodynamics?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
What is your definition of life, and of artificial life? A reverse in entropy? A violation of the second law of thermodynamics?
No physical process, including life, is known to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
No physical process, including life, is known to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Nonresponsive. What is your definition of life, and artificial life?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I smell a false binary choice in the making.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Ditto.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonresponsive. What is your definition of life, and artificial life?
Busy. First correcting a common, yet fundamental, misunderstanding.

Definition of Life

Since viruses are known to evolve, synthetic viruses would, I think, be sufficient.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So then the next question would be what would count as artificial.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm pretty sure the second coming will happen before anybody makes a virus from scratch.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Seems like everyone here is a bit behind the times on this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10132762
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

That's the Craig Venter guy afreim use to promote. He's orders of magnitude from creating life, or a virus.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I'm pretty sure the second coming will happen before anybody makes a virus from scratch.
And my opinion is that the second coming is a load of bollocks,

hence the offer of a bet.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

If we can come to terms I'm more than happy to take that bet.
Doc

Post by Doc »

you both already lost the bet.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well the point is that atheists seem to think that if they can give rational explanations for the universe then Santa Claus will just fade out.
Some atheists may think that, but it's no more than a pipe dream.

The converse desire would be for believers to give a rational demonstration of the existence of God.

None of the two is going to happen.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Parodite wrote:Would make more sense to start with the worst case scenario. Which is you need to consider the possibility that people you believe spoke with authority after pure revelation.. in fact did not. That what is written in the bible about God contains a lot of crap.
This does not even remotely look like a "worst case scenario" to me.

Worst case scenario is not that Jesus was not who he said he was. It's not that God is not and that death has the last word.
You're on the right track to a true worst case scenario when you imagine God might be "a malevolent mad sadistic prick of sorts".

Here is my proposal for worst case scenario:

As you die, your conscience is not terminated, like maybe you had expected if you are an atheist. As you die, you find yourself still perceiving and thinking. You are in a place you could not have described while you were living. You are alone. Then, you begin to hear hymns in the distance...
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
(in his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming)