Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 06:38
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 06:39
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 06:41
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 06:47
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 16:05
by Nonc Hilaire
Daffo has poetry but no music. The whispered wonder of Lovett’s “If I Had a Boat”, but more atmospheric and less nostalgic.
Listening to “Winter Hat” is like seeing an artist’s clothes drying on the clothesline and thinking, “She must look beautiful in those”.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 30 Jan 2025 16:27
by Nonc Hilaire
Lyle Lovett sang a private performance for me once at Tipitina’s bar by the foot of Napoleon Avenue. He was the warm-up band for John Fahey, 11 P.M., just one unknown guy with a guitar on a dark stage.
No one paid him any attention, but he had me fishhooked after the first few songs. I dragged a barstool out by a post in the middle of the empty dance floor and he played just for me.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 31 Jan 2025 07:48
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑30 Jan 2025 16:05
Daffo has poetry but no music. The whispered wonder of Lovett’s “If I Had a Boat”, but more atmospheric and less nostalgic.
Listening to “Winter Hat” is like seeing an artist’s clothes drying on the clothesline and thinking, “She must look beautiful in those”.
I'd never have juxtaposed the two. Lovett is a performer who knows how to play for an audience; Daffo is an actual bedroom recorder who very much sounds like someone who has never performed for another person in their lives so what's really missing is any sense of intimacy or vulnerability.
Lovett has it in spades and Daffo does that indie wall paper thing where it's supposed to be replaced by quirkiness and prophecy or insight from solitary genius.
------
All a round about way of sayin', "yeah, the music lags behind where he or she is at lyrically."
What caught my ear was the sennheiser condenser mics on everything; the extremely dry sound; the "cheapness" of it played right there on underground radio next to slop made for 80x the price (even on indie radio).
I like the dry boxy drums and even the muffled instrumentation. Ironically, there's too much gain on the microphone. I don't know exactly how this was recorded but it was certainly a case where the gain was boosted to make the vocals pop and cut through the background mess. But it's not the type of voice or style that is flattered like that. It's the Cat Powers problem.
-------
It's funny seeing whatever the naive singing indie folk thing was coming back into style.
Extremely annoying or not, such a very very hard sound to try to imitate successfully,
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 31 Jan 2025 08:54
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 02 Feb 2025 13:03
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 02 Feb 2025 13:07
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 03 Feb 2025 15:11
by Nonc Hilaire
Riffusion.com music ai. Free songs from a text prompt.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 24 Feb 2025 05:45
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 08 Mar 2025 04:35
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 08 Mar 2025 05:35
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 16 Mar 2025 01:53
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 16 Mar 2025 04:19
by noddy
its fun that the Andy Summers, Robert Frip collab from the 80's which I had never heasrd of before, actually just sounds like king crimson playing with police.
as it should. its quite fun.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 16 Mar 2025 04:58
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
its fun that the Andy Summers, Robert Frip collab from the 80's which I had never heasrd of before, actually just sounds like king crimson playing with police.
as it should. its quite fun.
This is great
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 19 Mar 2025 00:47
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
wrong, duplicated link
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 19 Mar 2025 00:51
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 19 Mar 2025 00:52
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 19 Mar 2025 01:37
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 19 Mar 2025 06:31
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
Check out George Porter’s bass lines on this playlist. Heart of the Neville sound.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Art was a Trekkie. I was working on his computer and he phoned his son on the other side of his house. He had a USS Enterprise phone and imitating Star Trek talk.
Great family.
This was a bit of bait. Once I found out they were from New Orleans I thought there was a chance of a run-in.
The Trekkie thing doesn't surprise me. One of the most important and influential bits of 20th century media.
Check out George Porter’s bass lines on this playlist. Heart of the Neville sound.
This is how dopey I am, I didn't realize the Meters connection.
They've been playing a lot of Neville brothers on the jazz channel. I just figured it was a jazz act whose background I was just ignorant of, beyond the city connection.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 21 Mar 2025 03:57
by Nonc Hilaire
I used to write for the NO music mag ‘Wavelength’ when they were hot. The Meters/Neville connection is not well known outside the scene.
Every morning band kids in the US wait quietly for the bus, but in NO they are horns out and sticks on the metal litter boxes. They don’t know how to not play.
.
Re: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em II (Music Discussion Thread)
Posted: 22 Mar 2025 06:07
by NapLajoieOnSteroids
Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑21 Mar 2025 03:57
I used to write for the NO music mag ‘Wavelength’ when they were hot. The Meters/Neville connection is not well known outside the scene.
That's cool. Google sends me to the university of new orleans with archives to the magazine. Is there an act from back then I should be looking for?
Every morning band kids in the US wait quietly for the bus, but in NO they are horns out and sticks on the metal litter boxes. They don’t know how to not play.
.