Biology and Medicine

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Biology and Medicine

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Colonel Sun wrote:
kmich wrote:Scientists restore some functions in a pig's brain hours after death
Abstract

The brains of humans and other mammals are highly vulnerable to interruptions in blood flow and decreases in oxygen levels. Here we describe the restoration and maintenance of microcirculation and molecular and cellular functions of the intact pig brain under ex vivo normothermic conditions up to four hours post-mortem. We have developed an extracorporeal pulsatile-perfusion system and a haemoglobin-based, acellular, non-coagulative, echogenic, and cytoprotective perfusate that promotes recovery from anoxia, reduces reperfusion injury, prevents oedema, and metabolically supports the energy requirements of the brain. With this system, we observed preservation of cytoarchitecture; attenuation of cell death; and restoration of vascular dilatory and glial inflammatory responses, spontaneous synaptic activity, and active cerebral metabolism in the absence of global electrocorticographic activity. These findings demonstrate that under appropriate conditions the isolated, intact large mammalian brain possesses an underappreciated capacity for restoration of microcirculation and molecular and cellular activity after a prolonged post-mortem interval.
Interesting. The science article I read speculated that this could lead to restoration of brain activity in people who would otherwise be declared brain dead.
The question that immediately came to mind is quality of life after recovery.
A grand speculation, but the improvement of methods for the quantitative and qualitative assessment of the brain damaging effects of substances is right there. Plus the researchers get BBQ.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | Immune Cells Measure Time to Identify Foreign Proteins
For decades, scientists suspected that the immune system identifies infected and abnormal cells by tracking how long it can bind to them — but they had no way to prove it. Recently, however, they confirmed that theory with the aid of a clever system for controlling immune system cells with light. As one researcher described it,
“the whole T-cell receptor signaling network is like a little chemical computer that’s measuring binding times.”
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sci News Mag | Rotavirus vaccines may lower kids’ chances of getting type 1 diabetes
The rotavirus vaccine may have an unexpected benefit: a reduced likelihood of developing type 1 diabetes.

The vaccine is highly effective at protecting against intestinal infections caused by the virus (SN: 8/8/15, p. 5). Past work in mice prone to diabetes suggests infection with rotavirus can hasten damage to beta cells in the pancreas, the cells that are destroyed in a person with type 1 diabetes.

Researchers analyzed private insurance data, covering 2001 to 2017, for close to 1.5 million U.S. children who were infants at the time of enrollment. Among children fully vaccinated against rotavirus, there was a 41 percent reduction in the incidence of type 1 diabetes compared with unvaccinated children, the team reports online June 13 in Scientific Reports.

The results apply to both of the rotavirus vaccines available in the United States. In fully vaccinated children, the incidence of type 1 diabetes was 12.2 cases per 100,000 people per year; in the unvaccinated group, it was 20.6 per 100,000. There wasn’t a benefit for partially vaccinated kids either, those who did not complete the full number of doses.
The research suggests rotavirus vaccination may be a tool to help prevent type 1 diabetes, though more work is needed, says epidemiologist Mary Rogers at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Type 1 diabetes “has no cure,” so preventing even a proportion of cases could transform lives, she says.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

karaage dipped in mayo, some sticky yakatori, tempura squid , ermm. yeh, not the 1975 version.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Science Mag | No single "gay gene"
People who have had same-sex partners are more likely to have one or more of certain DNA markers, according to the largest ever search for genes linked to sexual orientation. Even all the markers taken together, however, cannot predict whether a person is gay, bisexual, or straight. Instead, hundreds or thousands of genes, each with small effects, apparently influence sexual behavior.

The paper, published today in Science, builds on results presented by the same team at a 2018 meeting. The published study emphasizes that the genetic markers cannot be used to predict sexual behavior.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:42 pm Science Mag | No single "gay gene"
People who have had same-sex partners are more likely to have one or more of certain DNA markers, according to the largest ever search for genes linked to sexual orientation. Even all the markers taken together, however, cannot predict whether a person is gay, bisexual, or straight. Instead, hundreds or thousands of genes, each with small effects, apparently influence sexual behavior.

The paper, published today in Science, builds on results presented by the same team at a 2018 meeting. The published study emphasizes that the genetic markers cannot be used to predict sexual behavior.
"Born that way"

https://newbostonpost.com/2017/07/06/ar ... en-bigots/
Are Men Who Won’t Date Transgender Biological Men Bigots?

“these angry declarations that they have some absolute right to not want to be with trans women are just misplaced and inappropriate.”
If people are "born the way they are" how is it possible for people to be bigots based on who they are attracted to? If they are bigots then who is to say gay people are not bigots for not wanting the opposite sex?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 pm

"Born that way"

“these angry declarations that they have some absolute right to not want to be with trans women are just misplaced and inappropriate.”
If people are "born the way they are" how is it possible for people to be bigots based on who they are attracted to? If they are bigots then who is to say gay people are not bigots for not wanting the opposite sex?
Although this result is about the biology of sexual orientation, it is a truism that it will be politicized and misinterpreted by many.
I've noticed that the Grauniad already has done so.

One of the problems with social media: the amplification effect.
Every looney tune's opinion receives national and even international attention.

To be fair, the once mainstream media - desperate to survive, gives the contemporary asylum for the insane known as Twitter far more attention than it should knowing that "if it bleeds, then it leads": outrage leads to clicks and better ratings.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 pm

"Born that way"

Although this result is about the biology of sexual orientation, it is a truism that it will be politicized and misinterpreted by many.
I've noticed that the Grauniad already has done so.

One of the problems with social media: the amplification effect.
Every looney tune's opinion receives national and even international attention.

To be fair, the once mainstream media - desperate to survive, gives the contemporary asylum for the insane known as Twitter far more attention than it should knowing that "if it bleeds, then it leads": outrage leads to clicks and better ratings.
I thought I already posted this here somewhere But maybe not:
_ePm7r97jL8

BTW this transgendered woman's reason for her attack was that she could not get a date.(Not mentioned in the video) The video does not contain the extreme violence of the attack

fbKzUMDLvBQ
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The Hot Zone

Masterful and dramatic history of the early work on Ebola and Marburg viruses.

Exploring Real History

This site blogs chapters from all sorts of excellent histories. One on Red Cloud; eclectic periods and subjects but always outstanding writing. Should probably be on your site list.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

It is oft stated that AMR does not respect regional or international borders and is a challenge that will only be addressed via collective global action. However, as outlined in this Account, there can be substantial differences in the drivers of dissemination in HICs vs LMICs that must be considered. AMR is a vexing One Health(69) challenge that requires work across local, regional, national, and global scales that simultaneously considers humans, animals, plants, and the broader environment. An added consideration in this evaluation should be development status due to its local, regional, and national impact on the drivers of resistance dissemination. Global monitoring efforts that consider development status should provide additional insight into how local policies, practices, and socioeconomic factors influence AMR.
It seems much synergistic leveraging of interconsitutional realities will need to be reconceptualised to intermediate cross paradigm outcomes.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:31 am
It is oft stated that AMR does not respect regional or international borders and is a challenge that will only be addressed via collective global action. However, as outlined in this Account, there can be substantial differences in the drivers of dissemination in HICs vs LMICs that must be considered. AMR is a vexing One Health(69) challenge that requires work across local, regional, national, and global scales that simultaneously considers humans, animals, plants, and the broader environment. An added consideration in this evaluation should be development status due to its local, regional, and national impact on the drivers of resistance dissemination. Global monitoring efforts that consider development status should provide additional insight into how local policies, practices, and socioeconomic factors influence AMR.
It seems much synergistic leveraging of interconsitutional realities will need to be reconceptualised to intermediate cross paradigm outcomes.
Which should be obvious to the even the most casual reader or inattentive observer, or as we say in SimpleMindedStan, "duh!"

Or, for even greater emphasis: "AH.... DUH!"

Everyone knows Climate Change is gonna kill all the bad microbes anyway, so........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:21 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:31 am
Which should be obvious to the even the most casual reader or inattentive observer, or as we say in SimpleMindedStan, "duh!"

Or, for even greater emphasis: "AH.... DUH!"

Everyone knows Climate Change is gonna kill all the bad microbes anyway, so........
Climate Change will save the world.

umQrjNqc4-s
noddy

Post by noddy »

no doubting that the death of our effective antibiotics will have a radical effect on our societies.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:21 pm
Climate Change will save the world.

umQrjNqc4-s
Agreed. Climate Change is already convincing some bad microbes not to reproduce.

In theory, its all bad. In reality, allowing trends to continue until they hit their logical conclusions, often demonstrate that most problems already contain the seeds of their solution. People getting in the way of evolution (God's will?) just mucks everything up!!!!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 am no doubting that the death of our effective antibiotics will have a radical effect on our societies.
"In the long run, we're all dead!" - John Maynard Keynes

"In the short run, as long as it ain't me, I'm good!" - Everyone Else

"It's only that middle ground of "us" fixing "them" that gets messy!" - Me
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 am no doubting that the death of our effective antibiotics will have a radical effect on our societies.
Agreed.

The medical professionals seem strangely silent when it comes to discussing the viruses that have already mutated enough to travel via the internests.

What aren't they telling us? and why?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:08 am The Hot Zone

Exploring Real History

This site blogs chapters from all sorts of excellent histories. One on Red Cloud; eclectic periods and subjects but always outstanding writing. Should probably be on your site list.
How The Hot Zone Created the Worst Myths About Ebola
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:20 pm
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:08 am The Hot Zone

Exploring Real History

How The Hot Zone Created the Worst Myths About Ebola
The prediction of the death toll during the Liberian outbreak was 20,000 dead. In the end the official death toll was 11,000
The world effort to give medical aid lead to compassion towards the victims and some comfort. But the outbreak ended because people there on the ground realized that things like shaking hands or helping people suffering from Ebola greatly increased the chance of being infected.

If you are in a boat that is surrounded by white, very large swimming creatures of unknown nature, do you jump in the water assuming they are not dangerous , or do you assume the worst?

In 1984 very little was known about Ebola except something between 80 to 100% of those infected died, and that it was highly infectious. The means of transmission was not confirmed. The carrier was unknown As I recall still not confirmed today though the originating infection was apparently a young boy who with his friends "treed" a troupe of monkeys which it is believe he got infected from. Also it had been known since the1990 Reston VA outbreak of simian Ebola that primates could be infected by it and be carriers without symptoms. Though all of the infected monkeys were from Sumatra

I read the book in 1994. Things that I found alarming: The death rate and the apparent ease of the transmission and the unknown nature of transmission. And that a nurse/nun made it from the "Hot Zone" all the way to Belgium because she was so terrified of the outbreak she was running away from it.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The time has come.

RNRZchHaKgw
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... bal-deaths

Stealth Disease Likely To Blame For 20% Of Worldwide Deaths

A medical condition that often escapes public notice may be involved in 20% of deaths worldwide, according to a new study.

The disease is sepsis — sometimes called blood poisoning. It arises when the body overreacts to an infection. Blood vessels throughout the body become leaky, triggering multiple-organ failure.

It is surprisingly common in the United States: One prominent study estimates 1.7 million cases a year and 270,000 deaths. Sepsis in the U.S. can strike otherwise healthy people who get an infection that runs amok. Many other cases arise in the hospital. That occurs frequently in people who are already in poor health.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/british- ... y-accident

British Scientists May Have Found Cure For Cancer. By Accident.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sci Mag | Scientists discover virus with no recognizable genes
Viruses are some of the most mysterious organisms on Earth. They’re among the world’s tiniest lifeforms, and because none can survive and reproduce without a host, some scientists have questioned whether they should even be considered living things. Now, scientists have discovered one that has no recognizable genes, making it among the strangest of all known viruses. But how many viruses do we really know? Another group has just discovered thousands of new viruses hiding out in the tissues of dozens of animals.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »