The U.K.

manolo

Re: The U.K.

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
manolo wrote:SM,

I see that you enjoy and employ 'reductio ad absurdum' arguments, as I do.

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/inde ... d-absurdum

Alex.
alex,

you probably do it consciously.... for me it is the only mode of thinking I got.... ;)

That is why the binary labels are so humorous. Everyone abides by their self-interests, what they profess, is another matter, often only to appease peers.
SM,

"Everyone abides by their self interests." ;)

Where did I put that Rand OP?

Alex.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

If true Lithuania joined NATO to counter Russia, if so, it was the most stupid thing to do

Neighbours will stay neighbours for (@least) "millions" of yrs, if not longer, and, best protection is 2B a
"good neighbour" taking interest of the big guy in consideration.

If not, and one sides with the other bully against the neighbour, if so, next BANG is guarantied (when the Bully's interest changes).

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Russian menace? Risk of invasion?

If I remember correctly, Lituania, along with many other Central and Eastern European States was not at all opposed to invasion a dozen years ago. At that time they signed a letter - prepared by a US envoy - supporting the project of invasion of Iraq So they support a real project of invasion, but oppose a nonexistent project of invasion, eh?

That being said, I can easily understand why Lituania and other countries in similar position would want to integrate NATO. It's like a police insurance, and everybody prefers to have one. Problem is not NATO membership... problem is the tone.

If Skaisgiryte toned down by a good dozen degrees, he would speak about right.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

When Your Neighbor is Nostalgic about When He Ate You.......

Post by monster_gardener »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:

If true Lithuania joined NATO to counter Russia, if so, it was the most stupid thing to do

Neighbours will stay neighbours for (@least) "millions" of yrs, if not longer, and, best protection is 2B a

If not, and one sides with the other bully against the neighbour, if so, next BANG is guarantied (when the Bully's interest changes).

Thank You very much for your post, Azari,
Not really considering the history........
best protection is 2B a
Sometimes that can work..........

Canada is a good example....... ;)

But not so much when the big guy ate you whole a couple of times before and tried to digest you entirely the last time.......

As is the case with Lithuania......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania ... _centuries
That could be........

But If the neighbor bully is openly nostalgic about the last time he ate you.... :shock:

You may believe he might to try to eat you anyway......... :idea:

Especially if he just took a bite out of another neighbor.......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Britain no longer a Christian country,
time to rid public life of Anglicanism

A two-year commission calls for public life in Britain to be systematically de-Christianized ..

funny

YMix

Post by YMix »

The great Tory power grab: how they plan to rule for ever

[...]

A few weeks after Osborne met Caro, on 25 November, the chancellor produced his latest economic and political blueprint, the 2015 autumn statement. Half-hidden within it, and not mentioned by Osborne in his accompanying speech to parliament, was a proposed cut in “Short money”, state funding for all opposition parties, of 19%. “It came out of the blue,” says Katie Ghose, head of the pro-democracy pressure group the Electoral Reform Society. “The cut could make a huge difference to the capacity of opposition parties to operate.”

Since the Conservatives won their crafty but narrow election victory in May, they have made other subtle and not-so-subtle adjustments to the playing field of British politics. In October, they gave MPs in England, where their majority is much more solid than in the UK as a whole, greater voting rights than non-English MPs on matters deemed to affect England alone – “English votes for English laws”, or Evel for short.

In August, the prime minister David Cameron created 26 new Conservative peers. Even the usually Tory-supporting Times was uncomfortable at what it saw as an ongoing effort to “pack” the sporadically rebellious House of Lords with government supporters: “Mr Cameron has now created more peers than any other modern prime minister.” Government proposals for taming the Lords further, by reducing its powers to veto legislation, are expected to be slipped out before Christmas.

[...]
More shenanigans at the link.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Tories lobbying to protect Google’s £30bn island tax haven

[...]

The government’s reaction to the EU blacklist, drawn up last summer in an effort to protect member states’ revenues, is contained in a briefing note for Tory MEPs written by officials under instruction from Treasury minister David Gauke. Bermuda is one of 10 British Overseas Territories on the list.

The Treasury officials’ note, circulated in June, informs MEPs: “The UK has taken up with the commission that this list is misleading and deeply unhelpful. The communication also suggests that the commission might coordinate member state blacklists and a range of countermeasures. The UK is strongly opposed to this. It would extend competence and not provide a proportionate, tailored response to improve global tax transparency.”

On six occasions in the past year, Tory MEPs opposed proposals designed to squeeze more money out of big companies, including a vote last month on imposing sanctions on companies using tax havens. In November, Tory MEPs also voted against mandatory country-by-country reporting on tax receipts and the automatic exchange of information on tax rulings across borders.

In October they opposed the automatic cross-border exchange of information relating to companies’ tax planning within the EU.

And Tory MEPs voted in July against giving assistance to tax administrations in developing countries to tackle tax evasion. In March and January, Conservative and Ukip MEPs voted against a report calling for action to tackle tax avoidance, tax evasion and aggressive tax planning and a motion calling for the commission to commit to clamping down on tax fraud through legislation.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

instead of 30nb pound tax haven, what if we express it differently.

imagine the gubmint put out a tendor for creaing a tracking device that recorded all aspects of a citizens life. from their movements, to their conversations both verbal and written, their reading material and their interests and then had the killer requirement of making the consumer participate in this scheme voluntarily, queueing up in the streets to get the latest one.

how much do you think that contract would cost ?
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

:?:
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Google as a Spying App.........

Post by monster_gardener »

noddy wrote:instead of 30nb pound tax haven, what if we express it differently.

imagine the gubmint put out a tendor for creaing a tracking device that recorded all aspects of a citizens life. from their movements, to their conversations both verbal and written, their reading material and their interests and then had the killer requirement of making the consumer participate in this scheme voluntarily, queueing up in the streets to get the latest one.

how much do you think that contract would cost ?
Thank You VERY Much for your post, noddy.

Very clever way of looking at it!

;) :idea: :roll:
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brexit.
Is the European Union, with its unelected Commissioners and elected MEPs of the 27 member nations, really democratic or has it become, over time, more like the former politburo of the Eastern bloc communist countries with everything centralized and decision-making and diktat emanating from the group of bureaucrats and politicians at the very centre?

~ Kenneth Armitage on FT Debate on Brexit: Martin Wolf
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Re: U.S. Foreign Policy

M1zAKZhCOlg
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The coming referendum on the UK staying or leaving the EU makes new interesting bed fellows. Otherwise an informative interview.

y01_rggDofA
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

uTnviIGTSV4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | On Brexit

Referendum set for Thursday, June 23, 2016
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ld-we.html

Interesting article. I have no idea how many Americans would think the EU is good for it's member nations, 30-50%?

In the last three paragraphs the author shows how little he knows about modern America. For a couple decades now the elites have encouraged us to be more multi-culti, and less "American," whatever that means, & more like the previously divided Europe.

I think it is as foolish for European states to surrender sovereignty to Brussels, as it has been for US states to kowtow to DC. Don't do it.

another tragedy of the worship of group identity

" It is not just that we are being ever more frequently outvoted in the council of ministers, and our officials ever more heavily outnumbered in the Commission. The whole concept of “pooling sovereignty” is a fraud and a cheat. We are not really sharing control with other EU governments: the problem is rather that all governments have lost control to the unelected federal machine. We don’t know who they are, or what language they speak, and we certainly don’t know what we can do to remove them at an election....

There is a profound difference between the US and the EU, and one that will never disappear. The US has a single culture (Really???? It defies definition. -SM), a single language, a single and powerful global brand, and a single government that commands national allegiance (too bad they don't try for respect. -SM), . It has a national history (Again, defined by whom, and do they like it or hate it? -SM), , a national myth, a demos that is the foundation of their democracy. The EU has nothing of the kind. In urging us to embed ourselves more deeply in the EU’s federalising structures, the Americans are urging us down a course they would never dream of going themselves. That is because they are a nation conceived in liberty. They sometimes seem to forget that we are quite fond of liberty, too.
Heracleum Persicum

UN commission rules
Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters
:D :D : :lol:

Told you guys, told you

Brits now f*cked

‘ We will be back! ’.jpg
‘ We will be back! ’.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
noddy

Post by noddy »

What is an Argentinian exactly? An Italian who speaks Spanish but thinks they're English
colonialism for yee and not for meeeeeee.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apparently a rather nasty contest for the post of Mayor of London has just concluded.

The newly elected Mayor, Sadiq Khan, happens to be of Paskistani descent and is self-described as a moderate Muslim.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

Apparently a rather nasty contest for the post of Mayor of London has just concluded.

The newly elected Mayor, Sadiq Khan, happens to be of Paskistani descent and is self-described as a moderate Muslim.

What is a "moderate" Muslim ? ? ?

Alexis

"Self-described"... yes, exactly

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:Apparently a rather nasty contest for the post of Mayor of London has just concluded.

I put the most important part in bold.

Is it ‘Islamophobic’ to draw attention to Sadiq Khan’s links with extremists?
But you don’t have to go back very far in Khan’s past to find links with some pretty unsavoury characters. Some of these associations date back to his time as a director of Liberty and a human rights lawyer – trying to get the UK to lift its ban on the American Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, who has described Jews as ‘blood-suckers’ and called Hitler ‘a very great man’, and speaking at the same conference as Sajeel Abu Ibrahim, a member of the now proscribed Islamist organisation that trained the 7/7 bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan. But other instances are less easily explained away by his professional commitments.

For instance, in 2004 he appeared on a platform with five Islamic extremists at a conference in London organised by Al-Aqsa, a group that has published works by the notorious Holocaust denier Paul Eisen. He was billed not as a director of Liberty or human rights lawyer, but as a Labour parliamentary candidate.

In the same year, Khan was the chair of the Muslim Council of Britain’s legal affairs committee and was involved in defending the Muslim scholar Dr Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, whom the MCB described as ‘a voice of reason and understanding’. At the time, the MCB issued a press release blaming the ‘smear campaign’ against Qaradawi on ‘the Zionist lobby’. Khan himself gave evidence to the House of Commons Home Affairs Select Committee in which he said ‘there is a consensus among Islamic scholars that Mr Al-Qaradawi is not the extremist that he is painted as being’.

So who is this Muslim scholar, who was warmly welcomed to London in 2004 by Ken Livingstone? Among other things, he’s the author of a book called The Lawful and Prohibited in Islam in which he justifies wife beating and discusses whether homosexuals shours be killed. Most notoriously, he condones ‘martyrdom operations’, i.e. suicide bombings, against Israeli civilians, which he describes as ‘God’s justice’: ‘Allah Almighty is just; through his infinite wisdom he has given the weak a weapon the strong do not have and that is their ability to turn their bodies into bombs as Palestinians do.’ In spite of holding these views, Qaradawi is not an ‘extremist’ in Khan’s eyes.
I can vote without any hesitation for a Muslim or Pakistani-origin French.

I wouldn't vote under any pretext for a candidate with past Islamist or Jihadist links.

Now, Londoners do as they please.

In other news, the newly elected mayor of London has lectured Donald Trump

Sadiq Khan, London’s Muslim Mayor, Calls Trump ‘Ignorant About Islam’
Mr. Trump is “playing into the hands of extremists” and is “ignorant about Islam,” Mr. Khan said. (...)

But London, he said, “chose unity over division, and a rejection of the politics of fear,” something that he suggested should encourage Hillary Clinton, the probable Democratic candidate for president.

“What we have shown, and I hope it’s a lesson that Hillary and others in America take on board, is hope trumps fear,” he said, adding: “Forgive the pun.”
Americans should definitely listen to him. Such a trustworthy guy can be believed blindly.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

One who is not immoderate?
noddy

Post by noddy »

you moderately believe in magic arabs with a direct line to the word of god.

not too much, just a sensible amount.
ultracrepidarian