First they came for conservatives...

noddy

Re: First they came for conservatives...

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Rupert Murdoch does deserve an enormous amount of credit. But for being a businessman, a capitalist un-apologetically.

I've never seen him come out and pretend as if he was doing God's work or signal that he felt, really really bad and in need of a hug about making his money.

He saw a general opening in the market and he aimed for it.
ok.

so its established that the american media has always been lefty, with a token foreign capitalist, and all these pages of ranting about the "new" censorship on conservative voices in the land of the free is somewhat fanciful.

in fact, the conservative voices never had a public face before google and facebook gave them one.
Mr. Perfect wrote:
noddy wrote: "we" just need a conservative willing to put their money in and participate in the new media.

funnily enough, the only conservative in the last 50 years who has done that is the australian , Rupert Murdoch who single handedly created conservative media in the USA and England.
You are leaving out talk radio.
fair enough, in my country thats the domain of grumpy old men growling about kids on their lawn and not particularly relevant to anyone else.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Rupert Murdoch does deserve an enormous amount of credit. But for being a businessman, a capitalist un-apologetically.

I've never seen him come out and pretend as if he was doing God's work or signal that he felt, really really bad and in need of a hug about making his money.

ok.

so its established that
I think Mr. P is right, here. You must be a time traveler. It's like you've just time warped from page 2 stuff. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:

ok.

so its established that
I think Mr. P is right, here. You must be a time traveler. It's like you've just time warped from page 2 stuff. :)
ok. well, maybe im not quite seeing this new change i need to be scared of, for today is much like 10 years ago, you can find Tinker, DOU and i having these conversations back then, the status quo of the mainstream media is something i was born into.

i do agree that globalists like google and the big banks have way way too much power and need to be smacked back into line.

all i can see thats real is keeping the internet itself open, everything else is wishful thinking.. even keeping the internet open is probably wishful thinking but ya-gotta draw a line somewhere and in my country that line has somewhat bi partisan support amongst the people, but probably not the government.

am i stuck on page 2 or are you lot catching up to old conversations :P this the question!
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I don't know, dude.

Your talking wistfully about "back in my day"; you're giving "the more things change, the more things stay the same" speeches; you're talkin' fondly 'bout Rupert Murdoch...

This is all nursing home-talk radio stuff... ;)

Next you'll be telling us how everything's been the same since the telegram.
noddy

Post by noddy »

get off my lawn!

well in all this, i have learnt something new, that is patreon is owned by mastercard and mastercard is currently run by a rich indian playing a game for his unknown agenda.

i still havent quite understood this uniquly american demand for free speech thats hard to see pre internet, but thats apparently me being obtuse.

--

ill reiterate - for me this not a new attack on conservatism, its the government-corporate globalist thing we have all lived with our entire lives trying to re-establish a bit of control on the wild west.

this is fully expected - what was shocking was how long it took them to get moving.

"and......"
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I think noddy literally has no idea what is happening in America. I've said several times in this thread that if you are Pro Trump publicly you are unemployable. This is either sailing straight over his head or this has been the norm in australia, I haven't any idea which. But this is a radical departure in our history. Historically you could talk politics to the other side at work just like talking football. This is long gone.

In the US the history of media goes like this.

1.New England media
2.ABCNBCCBS/NYTWaPoNewsweekTime all pro Democrat back when Democrats didn't like sex changes. National Review was sold in adult bookstores.
3. Rush Limbaugh
4. Cable News, Fox era, Drudgereport, talk radio
5. By the 2000 Bush era we had a mix of MSM Democrats countered by Fox, talk radio and Drudge.
6. Social Media era, started out somewhat evenhanded but as the corporates have buckled to leftists we are in the stink we are in now.

No straight lines, no smooth trends, the reality is a lot of lurching back and forth as new stuff comes and old stuff goes.

MSM TV/print and talk radio are heavily discounted as partisan liars, but social media is the wildcard. On any given day there is no telling who is driving what where, other than the gatekeepers are going hard left.
Censorship isn't necessary
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

yeh yeh, freedom of speech, but yeh yeh private business can promote or not promote whatever they choose, facebook and google are not government services.
Actually, they are. Their profits come from government contracts for data services, and their stock is controlled by ppt connected funds. This all became possible through Bush I allowing federal agencies to purchase and own private businesses.

I see no difference between internet censorship and AT&T deciding to drop calls and texts based on their listening in to conversations.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: No straight lines, no smooth trends, the reality is a lot of lurching back and forth.
indeed.

i also concede that american politics tends to push towards logical conclusions and the extremes of outcome more than the australian does

we never banned alcohol, our communist witch hunt was far less virulent, etc etc.... you do seem to have a purge of percieved racist/sexist behaviour going on in a McArthiest manner in some circles.

their are many problems in my life but right now virulent lefties arent one of them, they are the comic relief on the margins of reality.

the globalist forces cross all political boundaries, as do the anti globalist forces, no matter how much you love him the trumpster is not a good rallying point for this issue.

not because of my opinion, just because of the reality of his outcomes.

i dont think this argument goes away with trump failing, i think he is just the first bubble.
Last edited by noddy on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
yeh yeh, freedom of speech, but yeh yeh private business can promote or not promote whatever they choose, facebook and google are not government services.
Actually, they are. Their profits come from government contracts for data services, and their stock is controlled by ppt connected funds. This all became possible through Bush I allowing federal agencies to purchase and own private businesses.

I see no difference between internet censorship and AT&T deciding to drop calls and texts based on their listening in to conversations.
well, you better argue this out with Mr P then :)

I think that google should not be anything more than a service provider and i should be able to ignore their service if i dislike it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ce-1138109
But in the old days, when the ACLU defended the Nazis marching in Skokie, it was very difficult for them to make people understand, no, we're not pro-Nazi. It's not that we don't care about racism, but we feel that the principles we believe in even mean these people have to march. In the end, is it in some way a call for me to be the censor? We know the government can't censor, so let's get the comedy club owner to censor? I'm worried about that. And I'm not 100 percent sure of anything I've done or anything I'm saying. I think this is very, very hard.

Everyday, a new nuance and a new way to look at the argument occurs to me. But I do question anyone who takes 10 seconds and thinks they know the answer as if it's very clear. It's not very clear. The evidence that is not very clear is that we know that 60 or 70 percent of the people in the country, you can Google and find there was a poll that came out recently, have views that they know they can't say out loud. It's a dangerous time where you have to come to the conversation already holding the correct opinion.

We can all have thoughts that we have privately, and some may be very insightful and some may be very dumb and wrong. But you don't know unless you can talk to somebody about them. As a man or woman who has not had the life experience, you may not understand everything about sexual harassment. So you may come out with an opinion on it that's ignorant in a way.

But you can't have a conversation about it, you can't even have someone explain it to you. They'll immediately brand you as the enemy. This is a dark period for discourse in this country
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Seems pretty clear, one either believes in "free speech" or they believe in "hate speech."

"Triggers" exist only for those who believe in "hate speech."

Who didn't see this coming when the "hate speech" made it into the political arena?

I recently heard Greg Guttfeld quip: "What happened? Remember when Liberal meant no rules, and Conservative meant lots of rules. Now Liberals have more rules than Conservatives!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:Seems pretty clear, one either believes in "free speech" or they believe in "hate speech."

Who didn't see this coming when the "hate speech" made it into the political arena?

I recently heard Greg Guttfeld quip: "What happened? Remember when Liberal meant no rules, and Conservative meant lots of rules. Now Liberals have more rules than Conservatives!"
First they came for the Cigarettes. But I didn't smoke so I said nothing
Then they came for the 70 MPH speed limit but I said nothing because I never went over 55 MPH
Then they came for the seat belts but I said nothing because I always used my seat belt.
Then they came for the bacon and eggs and **they** said nothing because they couldn't figure out how to put taxes and fees on bacon and eggs.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Seems pretty clear, one either believes in "free speech" or they believe in "hate speech."

Then they came for the 70 MPH speed limit but I said nothing because I never went over 55 MPH
Then they came for the seat belts but I said nothing because I always used my seat belt.
Then they came for the bacon and eggs and **they** said nothing because they couldn't figure out how to put taxes and fees on bacon and eggs.
Ya got me Doc! I'm guilty as charged and convicted by the Judge Dredds of the internet.

When they marched the smokers into the pure oxygen atmosphere, hermetically sealed, buildings and let them smoke to their heart's content and destruction, I didn't feel so bad. But when they forced the 70 mph drivers to drive into concrete bridge abutments, I felt I should have done more. I'm pretty neutral on seat belts.

But if the penalty for eating bacon and eggs is death by cholesterol intake..... and as long as free coffee is provided, show me the way to the train station!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tech Rev | The four ways that ex-internet idealists explain where it all went wrong
21st-century digital evangelists had a lot in common with early Christians and Russian revolutionaries.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:

Ya got me Doc! I'm guilty as charged and convicted by the Judge Dredds of the internet.

When they marched the smokers into the pure oxygen atmosphere, hermetically sealed, buildings and let them smoke to their heart's content and destruction, I didn't feel so bad. But when they forced the 70 mph drivers to drive into concrete bridge abutments, I felt I should have done more. I'm pretty neutral on seat belts.

But if the penalty for eating bacon and eggs is death by cholesterol intake..... and as long as free coffee is provided, show me the way to the train station!
Lack of cholesterol leads to Alzheimers Believe it or not I was actually told by my doctor my cholesterol was too low. (<30) Now what was I saying again?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Lack of cholesterol leads to Alzheimers Believe it or not I was actually told by my doctor my cholesterol was too low. (<30) Now what was I saying again?
Generally speaking, I think I self-identify my tribal identity as "Social Justice Conscientious Objector" (tm).

but I think the OTNOT brain trust may finally be coming up with some virtuous ideas that will well serve the common good. To reduce End Of Life health care costs, and reduce Social Security payments, at any point in one's life, one can report to the appropriate Ministry for administration of:
a. death by sex bot
b. death by nicotine
c. death by driving too fast
d. death by bacon
e. death by skydiving without a parachute

Why not? It's cheaper, and the service includes free youtube posting. I'm going do the Evel Knevel thing and jump my motorcycle over the Grand Canyon.

Posting your cool, creative, death effort on the internet. What could be hipper than that?
noddy

Post by noddy »

multinational capitalists corrupting local governments and systems and crushing local dissidents.

some might say "eventually, they came for the american conservatives"
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

it's not multinational, it's transnational
noddy

Post by noddy »

yes, i used the older term which is no longer correct for this phenomena

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnationalism
There's a rumour in the ranking
Someone talking insurrection
So the general has a purge
'Cos he wants to win elections
With the certain satisfaction
That the people are appeased
Long live the revolution
The general's very pleased

Sitting on the fence both ears to the ground
The fat cat's still push the thin cats around

Intoducing the new general school of political diplomacy
If you disagree, you get annihilated
Trouble is, we haven't got many generals (in Australia)
Well, General Motors
General Credit Corporation
General Insurance
They're the worst generals of all, you know
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:
Generally speaking, I think I self-identify my tribal identity as "Social Justice Conscientious Objector" (tm).

but I think the OTNOT brain trust may finally be coming up with some virtuous ideas that will well serve the common good. To reduce End Of Life health care costs, and reduce Social Security payments, at any point in one's life, one can report to the appropriate Ministry for administration of:
a. death by sex bot
b. death by nicotine
c. death by driving too fast
d. death by bacon
e. death by skydiving without a parachute

Why not? It's cheaper, and the service includes free youtube posting. I'm going do the Evel Knevel thing and jump my motorcycle over the Grand Canyon.

Posting your cool, creative, death effort on the internet. What could be hipper than that?
Sure !!! Like war zone tourism. Or space travel in a home made rocket. Or do it yourself conversion kits for to make your car self driving.
NapLajoieonSteroids

How 'bout this:

What is the difference between Alex Jones and Calvin Broadus (who popularly goes by his MC moniker, Snoop Dogg)?

The comparison isn't as absurd as it may first appear, even down to the drug dealing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

insert martha stewart meme "celebrity cooks with a convicted criminal"
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

their is no doubt its not a good time (in america) to hold certain views in public, in left leaning areas.

for me in my country.. not so much. I could definately lose some jobs being honest but thats always been the case.

Ive been on both sides of the interview table and plenty of folks have lost a chance with me by showing their true natures early, i reserve the right to maintain a certain environment and i wont be putting any turds in my punchbowl.

as for globalisation, Im not Mr P, I dont see this is as valiant american christians fighting the rest of the left wing world, its a bloody complicated mess that crosses national and political boundaries.

In australia Id say the biggest anti globalist nationalists are to be found in the unionist left remenants of the old industrial workers, they dont give a crap about right wing or conservative issues.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Snoop Dogg is patronized (by the majority of people) as some sort of entrepreneurial clown.

And he takes full advantage of that-- the guy is cleverer than a lot of (white) people give him credit for.

He's also deadly serious as a political figure prone to verbalizing his high paranoia and very deep resentments which do not comport proportionally with reality. But Silicon Valley pays him 300,000 to give speeches on campus.