At least 27 die in school shooting in Connecticut | 1

Demon of Undoing

Re: At least 27 die in school shooting in Connecticut

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Mr. Perfect wrote:You'll forgive me, your comment jarred me somewhat, I didn't think of my kids in part because they came to me seething about the media and their exploitative agenda. I'm glad they know that they don't need to be influenced by an hysterical event.

I'm certain I will vote for the GOP candidate in 2016, but it won't be relevant to anything, the Titanic already hit the iceberg. The last chance to do anything about it was a little over a month ago. Some people missed that.

BTW, it appears that the gov't will not be able to touch me with any of this stuff, I'm quite prepared. Others, they will not be so lucky. Did I deserve it? Who can say. It just worked out that way.

Another part of your error is you take disparate parts of America, make a false average, find it unworthy and condemn it. That's not reality. There are lots of good people, lots of bad, and the idea is to work with the good to over come the bad, not mash them all together and throw up your hands. It would've only took a few more people. Not too many more people, and much of this would have been avoided.
The die was cast way before 2012. You just think in terms of arbitrary money levels. The personalities were set long ago.

And I'm not finding a false average. Your " good Americans" are just as foul and sin- ridden as any Blue-Stater . Ask them who we should invade and/ or incarcerate next. Same problem coming from the other side.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Let me introduce another matter related to this tragedy.

While watching on tv some of the reactions to the shooting, it struck me the way some societies seem to need what I can only call a choreography of suffering. People don't just get together to mourn, the mourning must be subject to a ceremonial. Candles appear, priests of whatever denomination do their stuff, politicians take advantage of the tragedy, and even Obama finds a tear to shed... It would seem that if suffering and mourning is not organized - and I wonder what kind of people do the organizing and what thoughts do they think - then something would be missing. Suffering is an inner and personal feeling, but we seem to need making a show of it, in order to satisfy some mysterious compulsion. Is there a certain amount of schadenfreude in all this? Are we, up to a point, emotional vultures, hovering above the victims in order to satisfy some perverse emotional need?...
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Absolutely. It is sick and vain.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

RPM wrote:it wont be long before someone claims 'if onely the elementary schoolers were armed'..
Well, not with real guns of course, but at least tazers....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Hoosiernorm wrote:I figure the next step is to create a profile from a suspected perpetrator and then dress it up to create the ultimate political demon. Imagine a profile of a suspected shooter that had Obama or Romney political images all over the page. The press would have a genuflecting orgasm with the ultimate enemy. No one remembers anything past the first few hours beyond the first identity being shown and it would drive up web traffic for everyone.
Only question now is should it be a Manchurian candidate for the left or the right? If only he had been wearing a Romney or Obama Halloween mask at the time....

It would definitely sell a lot better than, and I think I am quoting Demon of Undoing here: "Whatever happended to the guy was crazy!"?

Maybe these types are media Manchurian candidates.....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Zack Morris wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:Would it have made anybody feel better if this asshole had done this by running a Peterbilt into the classroom?
Further restrictions on handguns and assault rifles won't eliminate incidents like this but it will greatly diminish them. It's simple thermodynamics: increasing an energy barrier (in this case, making guns more difficult to obtain) makes the event less likely to occur.

A determined killer can circumvent these restrictions but many are likely to be discouraged before they get that far. And those who are not will be all the more likely to draw attention to themselves and their schemes by pursuing illegal firearms.
To me, it is fascinating to see how "society(?)" reacts to these types of extremely rare events.

For example, a university near me (that has no external fences or guarded entrances) recently put a student access tunnel ($500K?) underneath a railroad track (that was located between the university and a shopping) to safeguard the "college students" from the danger of crossing the train tracks!! Then they installed security gates that can be opened with student ids at both ends of the tunnel.
Wouldn't any potential predators just climb the 30 foot high hill and cross the tracks like the students used to do?

Then to further protect the sollege students whoose parents did not teach them to look both ways before crossing the street, the university and the city put a very elaborate foot bridge ($500K?) to cross the 35mph road. Then to force the students to use the foot bridge, they built about 1/2 mile of fence down the median of the road.

The only way the above makes sense to me is if the university and the city applied for and received federal funding for these projects.

it never ends...... budget deficits.... we have no idea why we are broke..... lets bitch about our high taxes or college costs....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:Let me introduce another matter related to this tragedy.

While watching on tv some of the reactions to the shooting, it struck me the way some societies seem to need what I can only call a choreography of suffering. People don't just get together to mourn, the mourning must be subject to a ceremonial. Candles appear, priests of whatever denomination do their stuff, politicians take advantage of the tragedy, and even Obama finds a tear to shed... It would seem that if suffering and mourning is not organized - and I wonder what kind of people do the organizing and what thoughts do they think - then something would be missing. Suffering is an inner and personal feeling, but we seem to need making a show of it, in order to satisfy some mysterious compulsion. Is there a certain amount of schadenfreude in all this? Are we, up to a point, emotional vultures, hovering above the victims in order to satisfy some perverse emotional need?...
Excellent observation Endovelico. MY wife and I have both noticed a huge increase in the last 10-15? years of this type of public morning, community grief, candle lighting ceremonies, and first, second, fifth, tenth anniversary memorials of the tragedy of ______.

Not sure how much of it is media manipulation to fill the 24/7 news cycle, society's need to morn, government attempt to build commeraderie, or what. But it does seem to be a newly emergent phenomena.

Maybe just a reflection of prosperity often insulates one from reality and when a tragic event does break thru, it is just that much more rare and celebrated/mourned/newsworthy? Or a lot of it could just be a reflection of the generational change in individual vs. community awareness.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Simple Minded wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:I figure the next step is to create a profile from a suspected perpetrator and then dress it up to create the ultimate political demon. Imagine a profile of a suspected shooter that had Obama or Romney political images all over the page. The press would have a genuflecting orgasm with the ultimate enemy. No one remembers anything past the first few hours beyond the first identity being shown and it would drive up web traffic for everyone.
Only question now is should it be a Manchurian candidate for the left or the right? If only he had been wearing a Romney or Obama Halloween mask at the time....

It would definitely sell a lot better than, and I think I am quoting Demon of Undoing here: "Whatever happended to the guy was crazy!"?

Maybe these types are media Manchurian candidates.....
Whatever happened to evil?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Absolutely. It is sick and vain.
Sometime you are so shallow it is mind-blowing. The ritual of shared communal mourning is not, as End implied, restricted to some societies. Itt is practically universal and goes back as far as we can see. It is essentially a cleansing ritual that structures the event in a meaningful way and allows people to contextualize it, and ward off the idea of random chaos. Hence our need to know who he was, why he did it, or to ascribe it to evil or mental illness. There is nothing particularly vain about it, and, are you listening, it's got nothing to do with Obama or Democrats you dumb lavender. Creating authorized places for the display of emotions not typically shown in public is a necessary ritual for any society as repressed and neurotic as ours.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Simple Minded wrote:

Excellent observation Endovelico. MY wife and I have both noticed a huge increase in the last 10-15? years of this type of public morning, community grief, candle lighting ceremonies, and first, second, fifth, tenth anniversary memorials of the tragedy of ______.

Not sure how much of it is media manipulation to fill the 24/7 news cycle, society's need to morn, government attempt to build commeraderie, or what. But it does seem to be a newly emergent phenomena.

Maybe just a reflection of prosperity often insulates one from reality and when a tragic event does break thru, it is just that much more rare and celebrated/mourned/newsworthy? Or a lot of it could just be a reflection of the generational change in individual vs. community awareness.
Maybe I'm being too reductive, but I think it probably has a lot to do with the ubiquity of media today. From what I understand, the JfK assassihation had people crying all over. Today, media isn't something you watch when you get home in the evening. You are glued to all day long, so a particular me me, be it a fad or latching on to a tragedy, spreads very quickly and soon involves anyone with a smart phone, radio, or TV.

Also, although these events are still rare, there is no denying that something has been going on these last 15 years. When Columbine happened, no one could believe it. Now this lavender happens every week.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Maybe I'm being too reductive, but I think it probably has a lot to do with the ubiquity of media today. From what I understand, the JfK assassihation had people crying all over. Today, media isn't something you watch when you get home in the evening. You are glued to all day long, so a particular me me, be it a fad or latching on to a tragedy, spreads very quickly and soon involves anyone with a smart phone, radio, or TV.

Also, although these events are still rare, there is no denying that something has been going on these last 15 years. When Columbine happened, no one could believe it. Now this lavender happens every week.
Publicity does wonders, doesn't it? All one has to do to be famous, or more to the point get attention is go somewhere and start shooting. Mass killing is the new suicide.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

My concern is that what we used to call mourning, is becoming for some people a way to get high on other people's suffering... We need to "feel" and anything which gives us that sort of emotional kick is welcome. Mind you, there is nothing wrong about feeling sorrow at the killing of twenty children, it's the way that sorrow is expressed which leaves me some doubts as to its adequacy.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:My concern is that what we used to call mourning, is becoming for some people a way to get high on other people's suffering... We need to "feel" and anything which gives us that sort of emotional kick is welcome. Mind you, there is nothing wrong about feeling sorrow at the killing of twenty children, it's the way that sorrow is expressed which leaves me some doubts as to its adequacy.
I agree. There was a science fiction story I read years ago. I don't remember the name or even how it ended. Maybe something by ray Bradbury. It was about a crowd that appeared every time someone died in an accident. The same people always showed up.

“I want to know what passion is. I want to feel something strongly.” -- Brave New World

In these cases it seems to be the MSM and those watching that are always showing up.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

RPM wrote:it wont be long before someone claims 'if onely the elementary schoolers were armed'..
Well that didn't take long. I saw this post from a friend on Facebook:
Today I was talking to a colleague about the massacre in Newtown, CT and his response to the tragedy was "we should let kids to carry arms so they can defend themselves". I was speechless!

I hated the moment this evening when I had to advise my daughter what she has to do if someone came to her classroom with gun!

There is a point that we should say "enough is enough", such as the breakthrough for gay rights in this passed election. I hope now we are in the turning point in the gun control in the US.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack Morris wrote:
Well that didn't take long. I saw this post from a friend on Facebook:
Today I was talking to a colleague about the massacre in Newtown, CT and his response to the tragedy was "we should let kids to carry arms so they can defend themselves". I was speechless!

I hated the moment this evening when I had to advise my daughter what she has to do if someone came to her classroom with gun!

There is a point that we should say "enough is enough", such as the breakthrough for gay rights in this passed election. I hope now we are in the turning point in the gun control in the US.
If only we were allowed to make stuff up about what kids were and were not allowed to do...
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Simple Minded wrote: For example, a university near me (that has no external fences or guarded entrances) recently put a student access tunnel ($500K?) underneath a railroad track (that was located between the university and a shopping) to safeguard the "college students" from the danger of crossing the train tracks!! Then they installed security gates that can be opened with student ids at both ends of the tunnel.
Wouldn't any potential predators just climb the 30 foot high hill and cross the tracks like the students used to do?
I don't know about the wisdom of the tunnel but the security gates are probably to prevent people from congregating in the tunnel (homeless people, drug users, etc.) and assailants from following students into the tunnel.
Then to further protect the sollege students whoose parents did not teach them to look both ways before crossing the street, the university and the city put a very elaborate foot bridge ($500K?) to cross the 35mph road. Then to force the students to use the foot bridge, they built about 1/2 mile of fence down the median of the road.
A couple of students being run down on the road could be costlier.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Obama must now make gun control his legacy
By Nicky Woolf - Published 15 December 2012 9:22

Yesterday morning, a twenty-year-old man in Connecticut woke up, dressed, and stepped out into the cold grey dawn. He walked to Sandy Hook Elementary School, and he shot twenty children and six adults, including his mother – to whom his guns belonged – in cold blood. Then, he shot himself.

Soon after the news of the attack broke, White House press secretary Jay Carney released a statement. It said, inexplicably: “today is not the day to talk about gun control.”

Some have pointed out that madmen with guns are not unique to the United States. They point to Dunblane, or Anders Breivik. But after Dunblane, the UK banned handguns – and there has not been a similar attack since. In Britain last year, the sum total of death from gun crime was 39.

In the US, the total of firearm homicides in 2011 was eleven thousand, one hundred and one, and this year is on track to be even higher. Look at it this way: if the Connecticut attack was the only shooting yesterday, then the day's death toll would actually be below the US average. More people die from firearm homicide every year than the total number of US military casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001. More than twice as many people die from firearm homicide as in 11 September and Pearl Harbour combined. 31 people every day die on average from a firearm-related homicide. This doesn't count accidental deaths. Just murder.

There are countries rent by sectarian violence or war where this is higher, but to my knowledge nowhere is this level of death considered business as usual – or defended as an inalienable right. Many here don't seem able to make the connection that more guns means more shootings. Some have even suggested that tragedy would have been averted had the teachers had guns, turning a blind eye, apparently, to the fact that the guns used belonged to a teacher: the killer's mother, one of the victims.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns just make it exponentially easier.

The US's love affair with firearms dates back to its independence, the wars with Britain and with Mexico, and its wild frontiers where a gun was a vital tool for self-defence. The right to bear arms is enshrined in the second amendment to the constitution, signed by Thomas Jefferson and adopted into law in 1791. It reads: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”

The US courts have largely ignored the “well-regulated militia” part of the amendment, however, and choose to interpret the constitution as upholding as inalienable an individual's right to carry deadly weapons, from pistols to hunting rifles all the way up to military-spec thousand-rounds-a-minute assault weapons.

The killer at Sandy Hook was carrying two pistols and a Bushmaster M4 semi-automatic assault carbine rifle, a weapon designed specifically to get around the 1994-2004 assault weapons ban. It bears about as close a resemblance to “arms” that Thomas Jefferson would have recognised as a hundred-ton battle tank does to a warhorse.

Obama must now make gun-control his legacy. With no further elections to win, and a reinforced popular mandate, as well as the public outrage that will follow from today, an American president will see few opportunities as good as this to force much tighter controls on America's gun-owning public. A ban is extreme and impossible; but severe restrictions on assault weapons and high-powered rifles, as well as stricter licensing, tests and registration procedures, would improve the situation. There have been seven mass shootings in the US this year, but this one feels different. Vigils are in place at the White House calling for gun control, and an online petition to change the law has already reached 25,000 signatures; the threshold for a government response.

But the gun lobby is extremely powerful. Just three days ago, a circuit court ruled that an Illinois handgun ban was unconstitutional – the case was funded by the National Rifle Association, who have political leverage over much of Congress, too. Their political sway is enormous.

If the president doesn't make a real stand today, the response to this tragedy will be grimly predictable. There will be speechifying in which sympathy is offered “as a parent” and action vaguely promised. Politicians will proffer their prayers. But nothing will change.

“As a country, we've been through this too many times,” Obama said in a statement yesterday afternoon, and his voice cracked with genuine emotion. But behind the scenes, he will be being told that any sweeping gun-control legislation is practically a non-starter in the House, especially during fragile negotiations on the fiscal cliff. Of course, while gun control can wait, the debt must be dealt with now.

But if the people's anger is not capitalised on today, America will sigh and the anger will dwindle, just like after Clackamas, after Oak Creek, after Aurora, after Oikos, after Seal Beach, after Tucson, after Fort Hood, after Binghampton, afterBrookfield, after Meridian, after Wedgewood, after Virginia Tech, after Columbine. The media will agonise about its coverage, and then forget as the cycle turns.

And in six months or a year, another kid with a grievance will pick up another assault rifle, take a breath, and step out into another cold grey dawn.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... his-legacy
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Absolutely. It is sick and vain.
Sometime you are so shallow it is mind-blowing. The ritual of shared communal mourning is not, as End implied, restricted to some societies. Itt is practically universal and goes back as far as we can see. It is essentially a cleansing ritual that structures the event in a meaningful way and allows people to contextualize it, and ward off the idea of random chaos. Hence our need to know who he was, why he did it, or to ascribe it to evil or mental illness. There is nothing particularly vain about it, and, are you listening, it's got nothing to do with Obama or Democrats you dumb lavender. Creating authorized places for the display of emotions not typically shown in public is a necessary ritual for any society as repressed and neurotic as ours.
I'm not much of an enabler.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes Berzer, there is nothing in place to make gun control possible, nothing it all. Boy you hit that nail on the head.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Doc wrote:.

Mass killing is the new suicide.

Yes

Individuals commit suicide for various reasons

Some are mad about themselves .. some are mad about destiny .. some are mad about others .. some are mad about society .. some are mad about specific issues in their life or in the society, and and and

Among them, some decide (for many reasons) to combine their own exit with killing others .. that happening now in America quite often and with some regularity, pointing to deep issues in American society .. not confronting this a disservice to America

Information trickling out .. seems, he shot his father, a brother, drove to the school, shot his mother and started killing the kids .. pointing to devastating anger against his family and the society

In today's America, both parents working, warm family life pretty much nonexistent .. children grow up in vacuum, come back from school to an empty home, eat hot dogs from fridge, don't see parents, watch only violence and sex on TV and and and (assuming mom and dad still together which most of the time not the case) .. children grow up emotionally dysfunctional, parents falsely thinking school must teach their kid the values and and .. 80% of American children on doctor prescribed "mood altering drugs", they plain (mentaly) sick

in a nutshell, a society and culture built on consumerism meaning materialism, has lost the human touch

well

IMHO, in such environment, culture, these kind of mass killing is a natural result

Last edited by Crocus sativus on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Croc, did not know you with the religious right. :)

Your summary been in all the pamphlets (RR) for decades.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:.

Croc, did not know you with the religious right. :)

Your summary been in all the pamphlets (RR) for decades.

look, MP .. things got perverted by you know who :lol:

why not take the good and reject the bad

everything has it's own charm

Religious right & left have some valid points, communists have some valid points, fascists have some valid point, liberal have some valid points, homosexuals have some valid points, Islam has some valid points and and and

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: For example, a university near me (that has no external fences or guarded entrances) recently put a student access tunnel ($500K?) underneath a railroad track (that was located between the university and a shopping) to safeguard the "college students" from the danger of crossing the train tracks!! Then they installed security gates that can be opened with student ids at both ends of the tunnel.
I don't know about the wisdom of the tunnel but the security gates are probably to prevent people from congregating in the tunnel (homeless people, drug users, etc.) and assailants from following students into the tunnel.
Of course one's precious little snowflakes cannot be held responsible to look both way before crossing a railway track at a less expensive railway crossing with barriers, bright red flashing lights, and warning sounds.
Zack Morris wrote:
A couple of students being run down on the road could be costlier.
Indeed. More local uglification in the name of perceived security driven by the fear of ligitation by the surviving family of the [literally] terminally stupid.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Typhoon wrote: Of course one's precious little snowflakes cannot be held responsible to look both way before crossing a railway track at a less expensive railway crossing with barriers, bright red flashing lights, and warning sounds.
Thanks for pointing out the hassles involved in waiting at a railroad crossing. I think you just made an excellent case for building a $500K tunnel. This tunnel is alleged to exist underneath not only a railroad crossing but a hill and a shopping center. All of a sudden, this tunnel doesn't sound like too stupid of an idea.

Are you also opposed to pedestrian bridges?
Indeed. More local uglification in the name of perceived security driven by the fear of ligitation by the surviving family of the [literally] terminally stupid.
People who get hit by cars are stupid? That's unreasonably harsh. What if it was your child? Would you shrug it off? There is nothing wrong with pedestrian safety measures. At my undergraduate university, there were a series of accidents involving speeding motorists and pedestrians, prompting the installation of automatic lights embedded in the pavement at crosswalks to notify drivers that a pedestrian is crossing.

Looking both ways before crossing is good advice but insufficient in some traffic situations. I think we've all been surprised at one point or another in our lives at a car popping up out of nowhere or being obscured by a stopped vehicle.

Anyway, none of us knows the logic behind the infamous pedestrian tunnel. I have a feeling the story has been oversimplified.