Does America have a "gun culture"?

Ibrahim

Re: Does America have a "gun culture"?

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Again, I'd like to point out that half of US homicides are linked to the war on drugs and and inner city blacks( and the complex set of causes there). Pinning them to guns for the sake of guns is very misleading.
So legalize drugs and criminalize being black? America is already halfway towards both of those goals.

I've pointed out that we have lots of guns in Canada, but we also have blacks living in cities, and drugs are illegal here too. So why aren't they banging it out in Toronto?
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Ibrahim wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:Again, I'd like to point out that half of US homicides are linked to the war on drugs and and inner city blacks( and the complex set of causes there). Pinning them to guns for the sake of guns is very misleading.
So legalize drugs and criminalize being black? America is already halfway towards both of those goals.

I've pointed out that we have lots of guns in Canada, but we also have blacks living in cities, and drugs are illegal here too. So why aren't they banging it out in Toronto?

Blacks in Toronto were not a) forcibly decultured and did not b) learn what vestige of culture they re- generated from poor and violent Borderers.

Decriminalize drugs. Address the root causes of the black condition in America. Subsidized malformation of the family, cultural predation by commercialized interests. Now, how you separate those ills from the fact that they are prevalent in the population, I don't know.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

Blacks in Toronto were not a) forcibly decultured and did not b) learn what vestige of culture they re- generated from poor and violent Borderers.

Decriminalize drugs. Address the root causes of the black condition in America. Subsidized malformation of the family, cultural predation by commercialized interests. Now, how you separate those ills from the fact that they are prevalent in the population, I don't know.
That sounds reasonable enough, but its still a bit of an easy out on American gun crime statistics. I think we've both seen the "gun debate" dead-end at this point before. Somebody talks about the crime rates and the disparity and other nations with firearms ownership having far less gun crime and eventually somebody has to say "well, its the blacks ya see." Next thing you know people start "noticing patterns about young blacks" and the pro-gun side has got an image problem. Its like being a white guy who isn't racist at all who just loves Norse mythology. People see you on the train with your book about Odin and your runic tattoo and start making assumptions.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

And I should add that they do bang it out a little bit in Toronto. I think they even have a Crip set. Like a little Crip CFL.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

The best thing for blacks in the US after passage of the Civil Rights Act would have been to be left alone. The Great Society is an example of a govt program that has been an abject failure.

Anecdote.

Meeting a black in the US it was not unlikely that his name was something like Antywane and I would have trouble understanding him as he spoke ebonics.

Meeting a black in Canada it was likely that his name was something like Ralph and I would have no trouble understanding him as he spoke standard Canadian.

With one memorable exception, it turned out that he spoke Newfie . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Trigger Happy Barack & Biden's Riding Shotgun Advice......

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:Image

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, YMix.

GREAT pics........

Wonder if there is one of Michelle or Jill taking Uncle Joe Biden's advice to get a shotgun and go out on her balcony and fire into the air if there is a problem..........
Joe Biden's Shotgun Advice Could Land Jill Biden in Jail
Felony aggravated menacing, reckless endangering charges could result from shooting gun in air

By Steven Nelson
February 20, 2013 RSS Feed Print
Vice President Joseph Biden delivers remarks following a roundtable discussion with law enforcement officials to discuss gun safety, Feb. 11, 2013.

Vice President Joe Biden speaks following a roundtable discussion with law enforcement officials to discuss gun safety, Feb. 11, 2013.

Vice President Joe Biden might want to have a talk with his son, Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden, before he makes another public statement about guns.

In a Facebook "chat" Tuesday, the vice president said that he had advised his wife, Jill, to fire a shotgun in the air from their Delaware home's porch if she was concerned for her safety.

"I said, 'Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,'" Biden said.

"You don't need an AR-15—it's harder to aim," he added, "it's harder to use, and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun! Buy a shotgun!"
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... en-in-jail

Generally you fire at things you want to hit.....

And just in the air........

Bad things can happen.....

Z4GMUlCBgd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GMUlCBgd0

E8OSGxZavtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8OSGxZavtQ

Even if a drone isn't nearby............
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

The best thing for blacks in the US after passage of the Civil Rights Act would have been to be left alone. The Great Society is an example of a govt program that has been an abject failure.
Why do you think those policies failed?

Meeting a black in the US it was not unlikely that his name was something like Antywane
So?

and I would have trouble understanding him as he spoke ebonics.
I don't have trouble understanding what black people are saying, and I'm not cool in any way.

Meeting a black in Canada it was likely that his name was something like Ralph
Really? I run into a lot of Omars and Muhammads.

and I would have no trouble understanding him as he spoke standard Canadian.
Or with a think African accent.

On, and on a side note we've completely abandoned guns now. We're on to "what's wrong with blacks in America."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It's an anecdote, with humourous intent, not a genuflecting survey.
Ibrahim wrote: . . .

On, and on a side note we've completely abandoned guns now. We're on to "what's wrong with blacks in America."
No.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote: The best thing for blacks in the US after passage of the Civil Rights Act would have been to be left alone. The Great Society is an example of a govt program that has been an abject failure.

Anecdote.

Meeting a black in the US it was not unlikely that his name was something like Antywane and I would have trouble understanding him as he spoke ebonics.

Meeting a black in Canada it was likely that his name was something like Ralph and I would have no trouble understanding him as he spoke standard Canadian.
I had a few memorable moments like that after moving south. White southern rural redneck English is virtually identical to black northern urban ebonics. Although I would expect a lot of strains and the slang terms from both are highly localized. Just like culture.

I've heard more than one Northerner say "When you're talking to some guy from the south on the phone, it's hard to tell whether he's white or black......"
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I really hate how so many people get their false impressions of Merika from just a few right wing extremists who have access to the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1GaX_-E-E

Evidently, the right wing conspriacy is even vaster than Hillary (or Obama) imagined!

Bitter clingers are everywhere!!!
monster_gardener

Broken Clock Biden vs. the Present Dunce........

Simple Minded wrote:I really hate how so many people get their false impressions of Merika from just a few right wing extremists who have access to the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1GaX_-E-E

Evidently, the right wing conspriacy is even vaster than Hillary (or Obama) imagined!

Bitter clingers are everywhere!!!
Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Simple Minded.

This time Daffy ;) Vice President Uncle Joe Biden gets it one third right ........... Own a shot gun........ Good idea.......

And two thirds wrong....... Don't waste your ammo shooting up in the air.............. Can be illegal too..........

And you do need other types of guns....... I would recommend a fully loaded revolver or automatic pistol.... Keep extra loaded clips ready.......

Can be a bit difficult to reload a shot gun if the home invader still breaks down the door after you have wasted your shots firing in the air..

That said I like Daffy Uncle Joe........

He's like a broken clock......

Tends to be Right ;) 2 times a day.......

And that's a lot better than Arrogant Lazy Lying Duty Station Deserting Son of a Bitch Eating Present Dunce President Obama........ ;) :twisted: :lol: :roll:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BB | Science and gun violence: why is the research so weak?
Wellford doesn’t study guns, himself.. But in 2004, he served as the chairman on a National Academy of Sciences panel that reviewed a huge amount of gun violence research and presented a sort of “state-of-the-field” report summarizing what we know, what we don’t know, and why.

The results were less than glowing. In the executive summary, the committee wrote that, despite lots of research, it was still impossible to answer some of the most pressing questions surrounding gun violence. The paper does its best to praise researchers for the good work they have produced – this isn’t a situation where we know absolutely nothing about gun use, gun ownership, and the impact of gun laws. But the committee members I spoke with were also critical of the field, and say that the confidence politicians, lobbyists, and activists put in this research is seriously premature.. Gun violence research suffers from a lack of consistently recorded data and, for that matter, a lack of data, in general. As John Pepper, associate economics professor at The University of Virginia and the study director on the 2004 report, put it, “The data are just terrible.”

Worse, critics say the methods used to analyze that data are also deeply flawed in many cases. What you end up with, researchers told me, is a field where key pieces of the puzzle are missing entirely and where multiple scientists are reaching wildly different conclusions from the exact same data sets. For instance, because of those differences in the definition of “defensive gun use” some researchers will tell you that Americans use a gun to defend themselves something like 1.5 million times every year. Others say it happens maybe 200,000 times annually.

That kind of variability does not create an environment where it is easy to craft evidence-based policy, and the situation has not improved since 2004, Wellford said.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote:

Because the drug war isn't as nasty in Canada. As I understand, sentences are lighter, prisons are less Hellish, and they turn their head away as much as possible at the vast marijuana growing industry in British Columbia.

I bet healthcare has a lot to do with it, that removes a level of baseline desperation.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:

Because the drug war isn't as nasty in Canada. As I understand, sentences are lighter, prisons are less Hellish, and they turn their head away as much as possible at the vast marijuana growing industry in British Columbia.

I bet healthcare has a lot to do with it, that removes a level of baseline desperation.
Mandatory sentencing for marijuana possession, and the fact that this is disproportionately applied to minorities by the US justice system, is a big part of your prison problem. Except that the private interests who profit from it don't view it as a problem.

That said I think DoU is on to something when he talks about the different histories. The average black man in Canada is a relatively recent immigrant, not the decedent of a slave, and not subjected to the generations of concerted discrimination that the black population of the US has been subjected to. So they have fewer problems in all aspects of their lives. But if you look at the First Nations population in Canada their numbers for crime, poverty, and addiction are similar to those among their American counterparts, because the US and Canada have a very similar history in that respect.

But as I said this is a real killer for the pro- and anti-gun argument. People keep pointing out the horrific gun crime stats in the US, and the only thing that a pro-gun advocate can say is "yeah, but that's just the blacks." Its a case of the stats telling only a tiny fraction of the story.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Censorship isn't necessary
monster_gardener

Super Soaker Glock Assault Rifle

Mr. Perfect wrote:Image
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Mr. Perfect.

;) :D :lol: :roll:

Good one........

Funny but IMHO sad and often largely true ....

One very minor criticism..........

The chart needs a Super Soaker Glock Assault Rifle........... ;)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Isn't someone here from Australia . . actually lives there?

According to someone on the Alaska forum I frequent, Australia confiscated all firearms in 1996 or thereabouts, and since then the country's gone to hell in hand-basket . . crime is up tremendously, the police are being worked to death, etc.

True?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Enki

Post by Enki »

Marcus wrote:Isn't someone here from Australia . . actually lives there?

According to someone on the Alaska forum I frequent, Australia confiscated all firearms in 1996 or thereabouts, and since then the country's gone to hell in hand-basket . . crime is up tremendously, the police are being worked to death, etc.

True?
A great deal is written on that. I'll let noddy give you the local perspective, but I did some reading on it. Crime spiked, but not to the point that the country is 'hellish'.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Enki wrote:

True?
A great deal is written on that. I'll let noddy give you the local perspective, but I did some reading on it. Crime spiked, but not to the point that the country is 'hellish'.

Are you kidding me? With all the lethal spiders and snakes? Not to mention jellyfish that you just wish were lethal...
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Enki wrote:

True?

Are you kidding me? With all the lethal spiders and snakes? Not to mention jellyfish that you just wish were lethal...

Firearms are still legal and owned in Australia, just tightly regulated, and no "military style" weapons permitted.

Its actually much tighter than I'd thought, but there are still some 765,000 private firearms owners in the country.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Dumb @$$ Biden. He is a dumb@$$ royale.

qq2FoGND6uw
monster_gardener

Portable Bomb Throwers - Uz & Syrian forms.........

Mr. Perfect wrote:Image
Do Chaos Monkeys: Uz, Syria , Elsewhere have a Weapons Culture.....

Yes......... And have had at least since Cain slew Able with an animal bone or a rock.........

Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Mr. Perfect.

The rebels in Syria might be interested in that portable slingshot for quietly throwing IEDs like they do with some larger models .........

See Typhoon's post in the Syria thread.......

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... ls/100461/

And the original Atlantic article......

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... ls/100461/

Has some stuff that might be useful if things go feral Ferfal Argentina here in Uz....

Or might have to be defended against.......

Ned Kelly of Oz style homemade Armored Cars.......

With Game controller directed weapons........

So the gunner does not have to be exposed......

Like he/she is in the pickup truck Somali warlord style "Technicals" which might be better against low flying aircraft.........

Big question would be how any of this would work against drones.........

Probably not so well...........

Odd that AFAIK Iran is not giving drones to their ally Assad in Syria since they do have/had at least one which they sent against Israel IIRC.........

Though I am wondering how do drones do against drones............