Does America have a "gun culture"?

Mr. Perfect

Re: Does America have a "gun culture"?

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ladies respond to the royal dumb@$$. BTW safety tip, only put one round in when you are working with a new shooter.

jafkVM-jnbE
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Real dumb@$$ CNN anchor accidentally explains why full auto is not particularly dangerous at 6:50. "My accuracy was far less". Dumb@$$ leftists.

1P7uk9KVdMg
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Real dumb@$$ CNN anchor accidentally explains why full auto is not particularly dangerous at 6:50. "My accuracy was far less". Dumb@$$ leftists.

1P7uk9KVdMg
Right at the end Morgan says "I could buy that from you" As an alien living in the US, it is illegal for him to own a gun. Since he is contemplating breaking the law isn't that grounds for his deportation? :lol:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Even one armed toothless totally dumb@$$ rednecks can outsmart Joe Biden. I think this gentleman is far more qualified to be President than Obama or Biden.

wofeVgIit6w
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Ladies respond to the royal dumb@$$. BTW safety tip, only put one round in when you are working with a new shooter.

jafkVM-jnbE
:lol:

C'mon now Mr. P.

Watching these videos are how many non-gun owners form their enlightened opinions about gun owners. Dumb as they appear, they are all a little bit smarter than they were when the filming started.... Probably most don't think Joe Biden sounds as knowledgable as they did when the filming started either.

course, if you buy into the broken window theory of economics, shooting thru doors will be good for the economy!
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Biden vs Obama

Post by monster_gardener »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Dumb @$$ Biden. He is a dumb@$$ royale.

qq2FoGND6uw
Thank You Very Much for your post, Mr. Pefect.
Dumb @$$ Biden. He is a dumb@$$ royale.
Seconded.........

Butt ;) ...............

I wonder who is worse..........

Dumb@$$ Royale. ;) Biden.........

Or

Arrogant Lazy Lying Duty Station Deserting Press Threatening Gun Grabber Wannabe Eric Holder Enabler Golf Goof Off Son of a Bitch Eating Present Dunce Obama......
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I think this is the best one so far. I enjoyed it.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Image
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I think this is the best one so far. I enjoyed it.
Post the one saying:

"When Western Pennsylvania farmers thought they should not pay taxes on their moonshine, Washington didn't use his right of free speech to crush their resistance to a strong central government. He took 13,000 troops to that region and made his point."
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Huxley

Post by Huxley »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ening.html

"Assault Weapons Ban Probably Isn't Happening" | By Margaret Hartmann | March 19, 2013
Margaret Hartmann wrote:It's always seemed unlikely that Congress would reinstate a version of the 1994 assault weapons ban, and Harry Reid is now poised to put the final nail in the coffin. Politico reports that following a meeting with the Senate majority leader on Monday, Dianne Feinstein said the bill she sponsored won't be part of the Democratic gun bill that might be offered on the Senate floor as early as this week. “My understanding is it will not be [part of the base bill],” Feinstein said. “It will be separate.” The assault weapons ban would be offered as an amendment, which would almost certainly be defeated.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I think this is the best one so far. I enjoyed it.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Image
I also enjoyed it, but for a different reason:

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution was adopted on December 15, 1791.

The Treaty of Paris ending the American Revolutionary War was signed on September 3, 1783.

Causality. Not part of the US education curriculum? :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

CS, I think the asperger friendly or non US explanation is that the right to bear arms is endowed by the creator, not the government, the government can only recognize rights it has no power to endow rights, and so GW simply exercised his God given right which Americans at the time viewed as so important they ended up putting it in the fabric of our national law in 2nd place later on.

IOW many Americans believe the right to free speech and the right to bear arms preceded the Bill of Rights, the Bill of Rights was just a document that recognized those pre-existing moral rights.

Hope that helps.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:CS, I think the asperger friendly or non US explanation is that the right to bear arms is endowed by the creator, not the government, the government can only recognize rights it has no power to endow rights, and so GW simply exercised his God given right which Americans at the time viewed as so important they ended up putting it in the fabric of our national law in 2nd place later on.
Sure, the necessity of a well regulated militia for the security of a free state and the right to bear arms was a central theme of Jesus' message.
Mr. Perfect wrote:IOW many Americans believe the right to free speech and the right to bear arms preceded the Bill of Rights, the Bill of Rights was just a document that recognized those pre-existing moral rights.

Hope that helps.
It does. It once again demonstrates that people will make up and then believe anything.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (right of private property) were divinely endowed human rights in the American preamble, which established the foundation for the US Constitution.

The Constitution and the attached Bill of Rights apply only to America, and are civil rights granted by the government.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Sure, the necessity of a well regulated militia for the security of a free state and the right to bear arms was a central theme of Jesus' message.
It is certainly in harmony with many themes in the Bible.
It does. It once again demonstrates that people will make up and then believe anything.
Indeed. I really like what was made up and believed in the Bill of Rights.
Taboo

Re: Perhaps Especially in an Urban Environment..........

Post by Taboo »

Typhoon wrote: However,

US: 3.2 homicides by gun per 100,000 people

Japan: 0.02 homicides by gun per 100,000 people
Typhoon,

Not to belittle the point, but it might be worth pointing out that there are 19 non-gun homicides in Japan for each gun homicide. In the US, there are 0.5 non-gun homicides in Japan for each gun homicide. That still leaves Japan as 9 times less violent a place, but i feel the initial statistic was a bit misleading, like comparing deaths by samurai swords.

To put it in an even broader context, there were 2,512,873 deaths in America in 2011. Homicide, with 16,000 victims (2/3 by firearm), did not make it to the top 15. Compare to suicide, accounting for 38,000 deaths, half by firearm.

It makes a bit more sense to worry about guns as enablers of suicide than in terms of homicide.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

Doc wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Real dumb@$$ CNN anchor accidentally explains why full auto is not particularly dangerous at 6:50. "My accuracy was far less". Dumb@$$ leftists.

Right at the end Morgan says "I could buy that from you" As an alien living in the US, it is illegal for him to own a gun. Since he is contemplating breaking the law isn't that grounds for his deportation? :lol:

If you're a permanent resident, you can legally own firearms. I should know.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Guns per capita: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ ... by_country

U.S. = 88.8

Japan = .6

I think U.S. gun culture is a valid concept.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wouldn't that mean that the US uses guns less than the Japanese per gun owned?
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

inlinecharts2.jpg
inlinecharts2.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 659 times

Gun deaths are shaped by race in America

Whites are far more likely to shoot themselves, and African Americans are far more likely to be shot by someone else.

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.
Whites are far more likely to shoot themselves, and African Americans are far more likely to be shot by someone else.[/url][/b]
The WP's conclusion is of dubious value. See full data on chart 27.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths ... elease.pdf

I would think accidental firearms deaths would be of import in discussing "gun culture" as well as homicides, and death by falls is a good contextual comparison. Overall, if one wants to examine homicides by type of weapon and race police data would be much more useful than CDC data from death certificates.

Off topic, this CDC report also contains a U.S. life expectancy table dated 2010. This is a useful primary source for retirement and trust planning.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Sure, the necessity of a well regulated militia for the security of a free state and the right to bear arms was a central theme of Jesus' message.
It is certainly in harmony with many themes in the Bible.
People do tend to be a bit selective in that regard.

After all, one could argue that the Bible was very much on the side of the Redcoats
Peter 2:18: Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.
and the Confederates in the American Civil War
and that the Emancipation Proclamation clearly contravened the Bible.
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Indeed. I really like what was made up and believed in the Bill of Rights.
Fine, but irrelevant.

Anyways, back to my original point.
The author of the quote thought he was making a clever comment, but instead revealed his own amusing ignorance of American history.

That's all.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Guns per capita: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ ... by_country

U.S. = 88.8

Japan = .6

I think U.S. gun culture is a valid concept.
I hope we have a gun culture. I would hate to think all those guns exist in the US without a gun culture! ;)

Pretty sure there is no kimono culture in the US however..... ;)

when kimonos are outlawed, only outlaws will have kimonos!
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.
inlinecharts2.jpg

Gun deaths are shaped by race in America

Whites are far more likely to shoot themselves, and African Americans are far more likely to be shot by someone else.

So more guns, means less CO2, therefore more guns is good for the environment...? :)