Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Typhoon

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Post by Typhoon »

Spenglerman on the US Fed

AsiaTimes - Goldman | The great federal-debt Ponzi scheme
It’s like the pump part of a pump-and-dump scheme in the stock market – without the benefit of an exit strategy
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://youtu.be/1HmGLV46L60

Aussie youtuber explains merkindooooooom
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:40 am https://youtu.be/1HmGLV46L60

Aussie youtuber explains merkindooooooom
sooner of later, they will be right. This has been a rolling prediction since at least the 1970's when I first became semi-cognizant.

as noted in one of Colonel Sun's posted articles. Financiers never learn.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Rich Hampton residents and tourists are struggling with mowing their own lawns and foregoing salon appointments as the East End of Long Island is experiencing a labour shortage.

[...]

“I had to buy a lawnmower and cut my own lawn. I wanted flowers planted behind the pool. The landscaper didn’t show up. I had to do it myself,” one East Hampton resident said. “My brother just showed me how to use the thing that trims the weeds. Yesterday, I finally did that. I had to take my $800 sneakers off first, but it was actually satisfying.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 81494.html
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:27 pm
Rich Hampton residents and tourists are struggling with mowing their own lawns and foregoing salon appointments as the East End of Long Island is experiencing a labour shortage.

[...]

“I had to buy a lawnmower and cut my own lawn. I wanted flowers planted behind the pool. The landscaper didn’t show up. I had to do it myself,” one East Hampton resident said. “My brother just showed me how to use the thing that trims the weeds. Yesterday, I finally did that. I had to take my $800 sneakers off first, but it was actually satisfying.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 81494.html
"The horror! The horror!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Spenglerman on inflation - extended version.

Law and Liberty - Goldman | Prospects for Inflation
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 pm Spenglerman on inflation - extended version.

Then at a five to 10 year horizon, we will have a challenge that can push us out of first place. And this is not a nice competition we’re involved in, this is Glengarry Glen Ross, first prize is a Cadillac, second prize is a set of steak knives. If you lose your ability to borrow in your own currency globally, that is reserve status, and you lose the dominant position in the world market for high tech. It’s not just Huawei that’s the dominant telecom producer, but if Chinese companies are the dominant AI providers in a number of fields, then the United States would go through a decline similar to what Britain went through in the 60’s and 70’s, it doesn’t mean we disappear as a country, but it means we have lower living standards. We have even more deeply fractured body of politics. We have less military power and generally we hate life.
Goldman is getting ready to go out into the mainstream media and kick some serious butt....'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Martin Hutchinson | Banknotes should be issued only by banks

I enjoy reading Mr. Hutchinson's articles for his historical perspective and outlier from the mainstream views.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:48 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 pm Spenglerman on inflation - extended version.

Then at a five to 10 year horizon, we will have a challenge that can push us out of first place. And this is not a nice competition we’re involved in, this is Glengarry Glen Ross, first prize is a Cadillac, second prize is a set of steak knives. If you lose your ability to borrow in your own currency globally, that is reserve status, and you lose the dominant position in the world market for high tech. It’s not just Huawei that’s the dominant telecom producer, but if Chinese companies are the dominant AI providers in a number of fields, then the United States would go through a decline similar to what Britain went through in the 60’s and 70’s, it doesn’t mean we disappear as a country, but it means we have lower living standards. We have even more deeply fractured body of politics. We have less military power and generally we hate life.
Goldman is getting ready to go out into the mainstream media and kick some serious butt....'>........
More Spenglerian doom

AsiaTimes - Goldman | US quits CapEx as inflation squeezes margins
Capital spending at major US industrials is down 30% from 2019 despite rising shortages of consumer goods
Typhoon

The "Nixon Shock" - The fifty year anniversary

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | How the ‘Nixon shock’ reshaped our economy
The dotcom bubble. The financial crisis of 2008 and 2009. The oil price spiral of the 1970s. The launch of the single currency. It would be fun, in a nerdish kind of a way, to debate which was the most seismic economic event of postwar history. But in fact the answer would be this: the ‘Nixon shock’, a fateful day when the final link between gold and the money you carry around in your pocket, or on your bank card, was finally severed. And it happened 50 years ago this week.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Commodities: the Chinese real estate exposure [paywalled]

What might the fallout from Evergrande mean for demand?
© REUTERS
Jamie Powell

In markets, being right early is the same as being wrong. Fortunately for FT Alphaville, the same rule doesn’t apply to journalism.

Back in 2018, FT Alphaville took a look at Evergrande -- China’s largest property developer -- and its ballooning balance sheet, which included 408,000 car parking spaces, a land bank the size of Malta, and a curiously low yield on its rental properties.

Three short years later, Evergrande is facing a liquidity crisis. In a normal economy, this wouldn’t be such a big deal. But in China, where real estate is estimated to account for up to a quarter of GDP, this is slightly more of a concern. It doesn’t help that the property developer also has some $300bn of outstanding obligations to pay. And it’s crunch time: two interest payments on its long-suffering bonds are due Thursday.

So the question now is: how contagious would an Evergrande default be for the global economy? Chinese property stocks have started the week by already taking a battering, with Hong Kong listing Sinic Holdings crashing 87 per cent during trading on Monday, and the bonds of other developers sinking to distressed levels. Via UBS:

European equities this morning are also showing signs of suddern concern, with the FTSE 100 falling 1.6 per cent, and the Stoxx 600 off 1.8 per cent in midday trading. The basic materials sector is leading the charge, with the sector in the UK off 4.5 per cent, led by Anglo American’s fall of 8.6 per cent. In Europe, it’s a similar story, with steel company ArcelorMittal, as one example, down 6 per cent. (European banks also seem to be taking a battering, we should add.)

But why commodities? Well, the obvious answer is that real estate tends to use a lot of them -- whether it’s steel for the structure or copper for wiring.

With that in mind, you might be wondering about just what level of exposure to the business of digging stuff out of the ground we are talking about here. Well, not to worry, because Tom Price at Liberum did a quick back-of-the-napkin estimate on what a Chinese real estate crunch might mean for commodities, and . . . it’s not too pretty.

Here’s the key blurb from his note this Monday morning:
bearish commodities? yes. 

looking narrowly at the direct/first-round impact on commodities, this event threatens a slowdown in China’s property sector – 1-of-2 very large, broad-based commodity-consuming sectors of this economy (i.e. the other = infra). 

it’s generally well known (among resources sector investors, at least) that China’s share of global commodities consumption = 40-70%. 

but what share of global consumption is China’s property sector? Of China’s total commodity supply, its property sector consumes: 

40% of steel flow (380Mtpa = 20% of global total); 

20% of copper (2.7Mtpa = 20% of global) 

15% of aluminium (6Mtpa = 9% of global) 

15% zinc (0.7Mtpa = 5% of global) 

10% nickel (0.2Mtpa = 8% of global)

ANSWER: China property = 5-20% of global commodity supply. - so yes, Evergrande’s potentially a big deal to Commodity World.
Yep, Chinese real estate accounts for a fifth of all global and copper steel supply. Blimey.

We don’t have a whole lot to add on top of those eye-opening stats, bar a passing thought that if you were an economy which depended on commodity sales for a large chunk of your output -- say, Australia -- you might be concerned.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm FT | Commodities: the Chinese real estate exposure [paywalled]

© REUTERS
Jamie Powell

In markets, being right early is the same as being wrong. Fortunately for FT Alphaville, the same rule doesn’t apply to journalism.

Back in 2018, FT Alphaville took a look at Evergrande -- China’s largest property developer -- and its ballooning balance sheet, which included 408,000 car parking spaces, a land bank the size of Malta, and a curiously low yield on its rental properties.

Three short years later, Evergrande is facing a liquidity crisis. In a normal economy, this wouldn’t be such a big deal. But in China, where real estate is estimated to account for up to a quarter of GDP, this is slightly more of a concern. It doesn’t help that the property developer also has some $300bn of outstanding obligations to pay. And it’s crunch time: two interest payments on its long-suffering bonds are due Thursday.

So the question now is: how contagious would an Evergrande default be for the global economy? Chinese property stocks have started the week by already taking a battering, with Hong Kong listing Sinic Holdings crashing 87 per cent during trading on Monday, and the bonds of other developers sinking to distressed levels. Via UBS:

European equities this morning are also showing signs of suddern concern, with the FTSE 100 falling 1.6 per cent, and the Stoxx 600 off 1.8 per cent in midday trading. The basic materials sector is leading the charge, with the sector in the UK off 4.5 per cent, led by Anglo American’s fall of 8.6 per cent. In Europe, it’s a similar story, with steel company ArcelorMittal, as one example, down 6 per cent. (European banks also seem to be taking a battering, we should add.)

But why commodities? Well, the obvious answer is that real estate tends to use a lot of them -- whether it’s steel for the structure or copper for wiring.

With that in mind, you might be wondering about just what level of exposure to the business of digging stuff out of the ground we are talking about here. Well, not to worry, because Tom Price at Liberum did a quick back-of-the-napkin estimate on what a Chinese real estate crunch might mean for commodities, and . . . it’s not too pretty.

looking narrowly at the direct/first-round impact on commodities, this event threatens a slowdown in China’s property sector – 1-of-2 very large, broad-based commodity-consuming sectors of this economy (i.e. the other = infra). 

it’s generally well known (among resources sector investors, at least) that China’s share of global commodities consumption = 40-70%. 

but what share of global consumption is China’s property sector? Of China’s total commodity supply, its property sector consumes: 

ANSWER: China property = 5-20% of global commodity supply. - so yes, Evergrande’s potentially a big deal to Commodity World.
Yep, Chinese real estate accounts for a fifth of all global and copper steel supply. Blimey.

We don’t have a whole lot to add on top of those eye-opening stats, bar a passing thought that if you were an economy which depended on commodity sales for a large chunk of your output -- say, Australia -- you might be concerned.
...World wide deflation. Well maybe.

The CCP does not give its citizens much opportunity to invest in anything other than property. At least legally.

Those properties also have a very short shelf life.
XopSDJq6w8E
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:25 pm
Typhoon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm FT | Commodities: the Chinese real estate exposure [paywalled]

© REUTERS
Jamie Powell

The CCP does not give its citizens much opportunity to invest in anything other than property. At least legally.

XopSDJq6w8E
Plus the other shoe...
WYqKUEGEeuc
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm

© REUTERS
Jamie Powell

XopSDJq6w8E
Plus the other shoe...
WYqKUEGEeuc
Time will tell . . .

Well, it's now Friday in E Asia and, to the best of my knowledge, the offshore bondholders not received any payment.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:35 pm
Doc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm

© REUTERS
Jamie Powell

XopSDJq6w8E
Plus the other shoe...
WYqKUEGEeuc
Time will tell . . .

Well, it's now Friday in E Asia and, to the best of my knowledge, the offshore bondholders not received any payment.
George Soros is either freaking out about Evergrande or is selling China short.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.4660150

George Soros: Investors in Xi’s China face a rude awakening
The leader’s crackdown on private enterprise shows he does not understand the market economy

Mon, Aug 30, 2021, 16:23
George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Soros makes a valid point: centralized command control of an economy, be it the former SU, Japan, the US, the EU, or PR China is inefficient, breeds corruption, and leads to stagnation.

____

ZH | PR China - "It's the property market, stupid."

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:23 am Soros makes a valid point: centralized command control of an economy, be it the former SU, Japan, the US, the EU, or PR China is inefficient, breeds corruption, and leads to stagnation.

"You will own nothing, and you will be happy" The World Economic Forum

"Taking the human out of the human race since 1971"
____

ZH | PR China - "It's the property market, stupid."

Remember: for China this is not about Evergrande, it's about preserving confidence in the property sector
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) September 22, 2021
Its not about Evergrande or the property sector, it's about the XiCP staying in power.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Evergrande's market capitalization is now down to $31.2 billion Which is the lowest it has been in over a decade. $32 billion in maarket cap vs $300 billion in debts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nts-missed

Evergrande Pain Spreads to Wealthy Investors as More Interest Payments Missed

Rich trust buyers join 70,000 retail investors who suffered losses and are demanding their money back
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:14 pm Evergrande's market capitalization is now down to $31.2 billion Which is the lowest it has been in over a decade. $32 billion in maarket cap vs $300 billion in debts.

Rich trust buyers join 70,000 retail investors who suffered losses and are demanding their money back
庞氏骗局 | Páng shì piànjú is "Ponzi scheme" in [simplified] Chinese.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Spenglerman opines on ESG.

AsiaTimes - Goldman | Green bubbles threaten to pop stock markets
Magical US thinking of a Green agenda financed by endless amounts of printing-press money will only end in tears
Have to agree.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:07 am Spenglerman opines on ESG.

AsiaTimes - Goldman | Green bubbles threaten to pop stock markets
Magical US thinking of a Green agenda financed by endless amounts of printing-press money will only end in tears
Have to agree.
I would go into business selling toilet paper as a green money substitute, but toilet paper is getting hard to find again.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:05 am
Doc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:14 pm Evergrande's market capitalization is now down to $31.2 billion Which is the lowest it has been in over a decade. $32 billion in maarket cap vs $300 billion in debts.

庞氏骗局 | Páng shì piànjú is "Ponzi scheme" in [simplified] Chinese.
Seems like that can describe the entire CCP
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... since-1947
BofA Says S&P 500 Real Earnings Yield is Lowest Since Harry Truman Was President
Censorship isn't necessary