Leading Geneticist: Human Intelligence is Slowly Declining

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Hoosiernorm

Leading Geneticist: Human Intelligence is Slowly Declining

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://naturalsociety.com/leading-genet ... declining/
Would you be surprised to hear that the human race is slowly becoming dumber, and dumber? Despite our advancements over the last tens or even hundreds of years, some ‘experts’ believe that humans are losing cognitive capabilities and becoming more emotionally unstable. One Stanford University researcher and geneticist, Dr. Gerald Crabtree, believes that our intellectual decline as a race has much to do with adverse genetic mutations. But there is more to it than that.
Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Re: Leading Geneticist: Human Intelligence is Slowly Declini

Post by Enki »

Nonsense.

The evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:http://naturalsociety.com/leading-genet ... declining/
Would you be surprised to hear that the human race is slowly becoming dumber, and dumber? Despite our advancements over the last tens or even hundreds of years, some ‘experts’ believe that humans are losing cognitive capabilities and becoming more emotionally unstable. One Stanford University researcher and geneticist, Dr. Gerald Crabtree, believes that our intellectual decline as a race has much to do with adverse genetic mutations. But there is more to it than that.
The track record of scientists predicting the future is no better than anyone else and often worse due to hubris.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:http://naturalsociety.com/leading-genet ... declining/
The track record of scientists predicting the future is no better than anyone else and often worse due to hubris.
Yeah. This article sounds eerily similar to statements made at the beginning of the last century
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

The Flynn effect has so far confounded the eugenicists.

However it may have reached its limits and gone into reverse.

Personally I am suspicious of the whole IQ thing. There are different sorts of intelligence, doh.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Wondering if you gave a computer to "Fill in the blank genius of the first half of the 20th century" if they could navigate it as quickly as my 7 year old.
Been busy doing stuff
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Torchwood wrote:
Personally I am suspicious of the whole IQ thing.There are different sorts of intelligence, doh.
Precisely.