Puerto Rico

Nonc Hilaire

Puerto Rico

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Re: Puerto Rico

Post by Doc »

So which is more deadly. Massive hurricanes, or bad government?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Juno

Post by Juno »

Doc wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 pm
well there's a case to be made for preferring the catastrophic over the chronic...
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Juno wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:40 pm
well there's a case to be made for preferring the catastrophic over the chronic...
according to a friend from Germany, there is an old saying "It is easier to deal with the certainty of pain, than the pain of uncertainty."

seeing as how hurricanes are quite predictable......
Juno

Post by Juno »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:43 pm
according to a friend from Germany, there is an old saying "It is easier to deal with the certainty of pain, than the pain of uncertainty."

seeing as how hurricanes are quite predictable......
right but...

the real choice (at least with regard to hurricanes and government graft) is

do you want the catastrophic, or do you want the catastrophic *and* the chronic. It's foolish to think that any government, corrupt or not, is going to put a stop to a hurricane.
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Juno wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:57 pm

right but...

the real choice (at least with regard to hurricanes and government graft) is

do you want the catastrophic, or do you want the catastrophic *and* the chronic. It's foolish to think that any government, corrupt or not, is going to put a stop to a hurricane.
Agreed. Another friend quotes another old saying "It is not what you know, but who you blow!"

Victims are those who didn't blow the right member (pun intended) of the corrupt ruling elite. The money was spent. Some just did not have the opportunity to blow the right people and get their fair share.

Tis also foolish to think corrupt organizations will self-police and self-correct.
noddy

Post by noddy »

no really sure what the argument is above, but I was vagely under the understanding that Puerto Rico is in a somewhat simmilar position to many of the smaller pacific nations around Australia.

Neither side wants to be "flooded" in immigrants from the other, yet the small nation is pretty much useless as an independant and needs constant money and services from its big neighbour.

Its not a "gubmint" issue as far as I can tell, barring that the gubmint should probably get some balls and take over the small countries, colonial style.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I suspect the current relationship between the US and Puerto Rico is a remnant of the Cold War/past military strategic value Now I think it is kinda like paying alimony to an ex-wife. Same with Bermuda, Bahamas, Hawaii, etc.

Declaring themselves as tax havens would probably be the quick way to prosperity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am Declaring themselves as tax havens would probably be the quick way to prosperity.
hah probably so, though only so many can play that game.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am
Simple Minded wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am Declaring themselves as tax havens would probably be the quick way to prosperity.
the key is specialization. one island offers itself as a tax free haven for medical R&D companies. another for computer tech companies. another for animal/human hybrids, etc.

now that Jeffery Epstein is pushing up daisy's (maybe?), the market is wide open for an island getaway of sin, debauchery, and zoophilia.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:09 pm
noddy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am
the key is specialization. one island offers itself as a tax free haven for medical R&D companies. another for computer tech companies. another for animal/human hybrids, etc.

now that Jeffery Epstein is pushing up daisy's (maybe?), the market is wide open for an island getaway of sin, debauchery, and zoophilia.
No, the tax haven islands are part of the Crown. The City of London firms use them like post office boxes. The islands themselves benefit very little as the money never leaves the City. The actual island banks exist only on paper.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Yeap

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros