Free Energy! | The pseudoscience vampire that refuses to die
Posted: 29 Dec 2024 21:56
Another Day in the Universe
https://www.onthenatureofthings.net/forum/
https://www.onthenatureofthings.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92
I should really move this to the pseudoscience thread, but will leave it here for now as a warning to the credulous.
Free energy is not perpetual motion. Solar, gravity, hydrogen, wind and geothermal are all free energy unless one is a pedantic fussbudget.admin wrote: ↑06 Jan 2025 08:36I should really move this to the pseudoscience thread, but will leave it here for now as a warning to the credulous.
Wikipedia | Perpetual motion
It takes energy to build and maintain solar cell and wind turbine farms, and, as yet underdeveloped, geothermal power stations.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑06 Jan 2025 15:11Free energy is not perpetual motion. Solar, gravity, hydrogen, wind and geothermal are all free energy unless one is a pedantic fussbudget.admin wrote: ↑06 Jan 2025 08:36I should really move this to the pseudoscience thread, but will leave it here for now as a warning to the credulous.
Wikipedia | Perpetual motion
The only person mentioned in the linked "Manual of Free Energy Devices and Systems" that was/is not a quack is Nikola Tesla.I thought that link was a good overview. I think anything that organizes a bunch of loose ends has value.
Tesla is officially the inventor of the Radio. I believe his company was awarded the patent for it in 1942(?) by the US supreme court. Marconi apparently had attended one of Tesla's lecture and there learned about "Wireless" from Tesla. But Tesla's remote control submarine used radio control in 1898 WHich was teh world's first drone. One hundred years before the widespread useOK so why didn't Biden just issue a hydrogen emancipation proclomation?Typhoon wrote: ↑08 Jan 2025 03:53It takes energy to build and maintain solar cell and wind turbine farms, and, as yet underdeveloped, geothermal power stations.Nonc Hilaire wrote: ↑06 Jan 2025 15:11
Free energy is not perpetual motion. Solar, gravity, hydrogen, wind and geothermal are all free energy unless one is a pedantic fussbudget.
The same is true of hydroelectric power stations.
Also there are energy losses in conversion and transmission.
The issues are not ones that worry "pendantic fussbugets" but, rather, are of great importance and concern to power engineers.
Hydrogen is certainly not free. While hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, on earth it is typically bound to other elements. It takes considerable energy to produce hydrogen from natural gas and even more to produce it via electrolysis of water [which is why "green hydrogen" plants are going broke at taxpayer expense].![]()
The only person mentioned in the linked "Manual of Free Energy Devices and Systems" that was/is not a quack is Nikola Tesla.I thought that link was a good overview. I think anything that organizes a bunch of loose ends has value.
Tesla was a modern Prometheus whose work on AC induction motors, generators, and transformers helped make widespread electrification possible.
However, his belief that a Tesla coil, the first device mentioned, could be used to transmit significant amounts of wireless power over large distances was wrong.
Initially disproved by Charles Proteus Steinmetz.
If Tesla had used the Tesla coil to transmit information, as he had pitched it to J. P. Morgan, who understood that timely information is a different kind of power, he would today also be remembered as the inventor of radio.
Tesla and the First Remote-controlled Boat
An update and correction.Typhoon wrote: ↑08 Jan 2025 03:53
. . .
Hydrogen is certainly not free. While hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, on earth it is typically bound to other elements. It takes considerable energy to produce hydrogen from natural gas and even more to produce it via electrolysis of water [which is why "green hydrogen" plants are going broke at taxpayer expense].
. . .
Yes, you're correct.Doc wrote: ↑12 Feb 2025 04:12Tesla is officially the inventor of the Radio. I believe his company was awarded the patent for it in 1942(?) by the US supreme court. Marconi apparently had attended one of Tesla's lecture and there learned about "Wireless" from Tesla. But Tesla's remote control submarine used radio control in 1898 WHich was teh world's first drone. One hundred years before the widespread useOK so why didn't Biden just issue a hydrogen emancipation proclomation?Typhoon wrote: ↑08 Jan 2025 03:53
It takes energy to build and maintain solar cell and wind turbine farms, and, as yet underdeveloped, geothermal power stations.
The same is true of hydroelectric power stations.
Also there are energy losses in conversion and transmission.
The issues are not ones that worry "pendantic fussbugets" but, rather, are of great importance and concern to power engineers.
Hydrogen is certainly not free. While hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, on earth it is typically bound to other elements. It takes considerable energy to produce hydrogen from natural gas and even more to produce it via electrolysis of water [which is why "green hydrogen" plants are going broke at taxpayer expense].![]()
The only person mentioned in the linked "Manual of Free Energy Devices and Systems" that was/is not a quack is Nikola Tesla.
Tesla was a modern Prometheus whose work on AC induction motors, generators, and transformers helped make widespread electrification possible.
However, his belief that a Tesla coil, the first device mentioned, could be used to transmit significant amounts of wireless power over large distances was wrong.
Initially disproved by Charles Proteus Steinmetz.
If Tesla had used the Tesla coil to transmit information, as he had pitched it to J. P. Morgan, who understood that timely information is a different kind of power, he would today also be remembered as the inventor of radio.
https://usvmyg.org/history-articles/tes ... lled-boat/Tesla and the First Remote-controlled Boat
I used to buy and give away copies of "Tesla: Man Out of Time" to people that had never hear of Tesla but should have. I thought it a great travesty that Tesla more or less invented the modern world yet got no credit for it. I think I got up to 18 copies. One was a Professor of Physics at a major university. He later came back an asked me if the book was for real. I told him to follow the foot notes.Typhoon wrote: ↑25 Mar 2025 16:33Yes, you're correct.Doc wrote: ↑12 Feb 2025 04:12Tesla is officially the inventor of the Radio. I believe his company was awarded the patent for it in 1942(?) by the US supreme court. Marconi apparently had attended one of Tesla's lecture and there learned about "Wireless" from Tesla. But Tesla's remote control submarine used radio control in 1898 WHich was teh world's first drone. One hundred years before the widespread use
OK so why didn't Biden just issue a hydrogen emancipation proclomation?![]()
https://usvmyg.org/history-articles/tes ... lled-boat/Tesla and the First Remote-controlled Boat
Medium | The Radio Wars: Tesla vs Marconi
Tesla was a modern Prometheus.Doc wrote: ↑25 Mar 2025 19:35I used to buy and give away copies of "Tesla: Man Out of Time" to people that had never hear of Tesla but should have. I thought it a great travesty that Tesla more or less invented the modern world yet got no credit for it. I think I got up to 18 copies. One was a Professor of Physics at a major university. He later came back an asked me if the book was for real. I told him to follow the foot notes.Typhoon wrote: ↑25 Mar 2025 16:33Yes, you're correct.Doc wrote: ↑12 Feb 2025 04:12
Tesla is officially the inventor of the Radio. I believe his company was awarded the patent for it in 1942(?) by the US supreme court. Marconi apparently had attended one of Tesla's lecture and there learned about "Wireless" from Tesla. But Tesla's remote control submarine used radio control in 1898 WHich was teh world's first drone. One hundred years before the widespread use
https://usvmyg.org/history-articles/tes ... lled-boat/
Medium | The Radio Wars: Tesla vs Marconi
A while back I went to Niagara Falls, long before there was an EV company by the same name, where there is a statue of Tesla. People were walking by then noticing it and saying things like "Look this is a statue of Tesla!"
When the first digital computers were developed there was a race to the patent office to patent "and" and "or" gates. When they got there they found that they had lost the race by 50 years, as Tesla patented both in the 1890's
I have seen both. The one on the American side gets a lot more people walking by. That is the one I was talking about above.Typhoon wrote: ↑26 Mar 2025 02:40Tesla was a modern Prometheus.Doc wrote: ↑25 Mar 2025 19:35I used to buy and give away copies of "Tesla: Man Out of Time" to people that had never hear of Tesla but should have. I thought it a great travesty that Tesla more or less invented the modern world yet got no credit for it. I think I got up to 18 copies. One was a Professor of Physics at a major university. He later came back an asked me if the book was for real. I told him to follow the foot notes.
A while back I went to Niagara Falls, long before there was an EV company by the same name, where there is a statue of Tesla. People were walking by then noticing it and saying things like "Look this is a statue of Tesla!"
When the first digital computers were developed there was a race to the patent office to patent "and" and "or" gates. When they got there they found that they had lost the race by 50 years, as Tesla patented both in the 1890's
One of my heroes when I was a kid and to this day.
I've seen a statue of Tesla at Niagara Falls, overlooking the gorge, on the Canadian side. Is that the one you saw?
He contribution is recognized by the SI unit of magnetic flux density: T [Tesla].
Having said that, another forgotten giant is Charles Proteus Steinmetz.

