Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Simple Minded

Re: Guns in the USA | Shooting the news

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:hero worship of gangsters, gangster music and violent drug gangs are a fact of life for all countries, this is not an american thing.

3rd world rates of violence and a population that needs to defend itself from the people walking down their streets, is the only thing unique to america among 1st world countries.

the rest of us just look on in bemusement/horror... all your talk about needing high powered rifles like you need seat belts is so far removed from my daily existence i cant really express how comical it seems.

its not guns, its something else, something todo with the slavery and civil war and the relationship to your police that the rest of us just dont quite get.
Straya sounds remarkably similar to SimpleMindedStan.

IMSMO, the fascinating aspect is localization. An American problem? Not to 99.9% of us. Now if one listens to the MSM or crusading politicians, it is a national problem.

IIRC, no-go areas exist in Europe as well as in America. Does Australia have any no-go areas?

MSM etiquette and PC culture prevent discussion of any potential causes other than rednecks with small peni owning guns.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:There is also the starboard observation that American gun culture overlaps with Scot-Irish settlers. There's a long memory of what happened when the foreign gov't snatched the guns because of a tulyie or two. :)
That sounds a bit like Thomas Sowell's observations that redneck culture, both black urban and white rural originated in the Northern UK and successfully took root in the colonies now known as the US.

Probably paraphrasing Sowell badly, racism in the northern cities is more an anti-southern redneck culture phenomena than a white identity vs. black identity clash. Prior to blacks migrating to the north, racism was a phenomena confined to the south.

The welfare state destroying family morals and increasing uncivilized behavior among both poor whites and poor blacks is another interesting discussion as it effects crime and murder rates.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: the rest of us just look on in bemusement/horror... all your talk about needing high powered rifles like you need seat belts is so far removed from my daily existence i cant really express how comical it seems.
I have never been in a car accident yet I always wear a seat belt.

Do you realize "high powered rifles" are almost never used in crimes?
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
noddy wrote: the rest of us just look on in bemusement/horror... all your talk about needing high powered rifles like you need seat belts is so far removed from my daily existence i cant really express how comical it seems.
I have never been in a car accident yet I always wear a seat belt.

Do you realize "high powered rifles" are almost never used in crimes?
Screw the seat belt Just ban cars They kill more people in the US than Guns. Cars are so irresponsible.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

Democrats willing to use nukes to take away guns.
guns3.jpg
guns3.jpg (99.89 KiB) Viewed 899 times
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:Democrats willing to use nukes to take away guns.
as long as they are not "assault" nukes......
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
And not stored in High Capacity Ammo Clips......
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Agreed. No MERV nukes, hand carried suitcase nukes only.

No concealed carry of suitcase nukes. Suitcase nukes must be safety orange or safety green, plainly visible to the casual observer, and clearly marked in 3" letters:

"THIS BRIEFCASE IS A NUCLEAR WEAPON."

Good news is once we declare the existing high gun-owner zones to be nuclear weapon free zones, their plan will be foiled by rule of law.

Damn shame the repubs lost the house.....
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Doc wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Agreed. No MERV nukes, hand carried suitcase nukes only.

No concealed carry of suitcase nukes. Suitcase nukes must be safety orange or safety green, plainly visible to the casual observer, and clearly marked in 3" letters:

"THIS BRIEFCASE IS A NUCLEAR WEAPON."

Good news is once we declare the existing high gun-owner zones to be nuclear weapon free zones, their plan will be foiled by rule of law.

Damn shame the repubs lost the house.....
On the other hand

If nuclear weapons were outlawed, only outlaw regimes would have nuclear weapons. And what are you doing to do about it?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

That Jewish boy who plans to buy a gun may want to consider moving to Japan.

Homicide by gun stats in Japan

Recall reading somewhere that Jewish - Asian marriages are quite common in the USA, a main source of Jewish assimilation.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Colonel Sun wrote:That Jewish boy who plans to buy a gun may want to consider moving to Japan.

Recall reading somewhere that Jewish - Asian marriages are quite common in the USA, a main source of Jewish assimilation.

Based on my research (Zatoichi films) there is an awful lot of violence with edged weapons, but usually only in cases where gamblers try to cheat a blind man at dice.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Being the 'almost chosen people', Americans blew up some of the major markers of social cohesion - tribal, cultural and ritual identity. What we have left are 'principles' and 'ideals' expressed in something called Rights and a canonical document drawn up by Anglo gentlemen in a boardroom setting. So now we have to do with histrionic posturing over personal boundary issues because the other things that hold us together are contrived and inorganic, and for many of us, with less than three generations to ingest......

Noted in passing, that PRC in many aspects looks like an idealised 1950-70's America, and if we would do many of the things social conservatives want us to do to return to that ideal, we would remake ourselves as PRC the rest of the way.....'>.......
Ibrahim wrote:Based on my research (Zatoichi films) there is an awful lot of violence with edged weapons, but usually only in cases where gamblers try to cheat a blind man at dice.
I found his sword art extremely engaging......'>.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

ive never really sat down and dug through the detail but the creation of "white people" instead of a squabbling group of germans, english, irish, frenchies and so forth required a decent level of cultural self destruction.

the precise details of this are the entire argument... christian? .. european? ... transmogrification from unique national bacterium ?
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:That Jewish boy who plans to buy a gun may want to consider moving to Japan.

One would expect gun death stats to be low in a country where everyone can break bricks and boards with their bare hands, feet, or heads. They're always armed. :P

I hear that Japanese people take the phrase "the right to bear arms" much more literally than Merkins.

The urban myth in the US back in the 1960's, when martial arts was the new cool thing, was that everyone who earned a black belt had to get their hands and feet registered as deadly weapons with local police departments.

Sounded cool as hell. Unfortunately, it was not to be.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:ive never really sat down and dug through the detail but the creation of "white people" instead of a squabbling group of germans, english, irish, frenchies and so forth required a decent level of cultural self destruction.

the precise details of this are the entire argument... christian? .. european? ... transmogrification from unique national bacterium ?
excellent point. Same in some "cyber-tribal" (TM) neighborhoods in the US.

The anger/hatred/jealousy/victimhood status and "triggering privilege" (TM) really starts when Fred voluntarily gives up his "Fredness" to become Democrat, or Republican, or Catholic, or Protestant, or white, or black, or West Virginian, or a Dallas Cowboys fan, or a John Deere owner, etc.

The world of indifferent individuals with potential common ground goes out the window. Tribal "us" vs. tribal "them" becomes the marching orders of the herds. Purity tests are mandatory for authentic classification. Mandatory membership dues soon follow.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

It's working!!!!!

"Kathleen Cairns, a WBFF Baltimore journalist, tweeted a picture of a woman who was surrendering a 9mm. She hoped to use the money from the program to buy an even bigger gun."

I like the part about the city paying $25 for magazines that can be bought new for $12. Too bad I'm several hours away from Baltimore I got some old non-functioning magazines lying around.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/19/balt ... -is-insane
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:ive never really sat down and dug through the detail but the creation of "white people" instead of a squabbling group of germans, english, irish, frenchies and so forth required a decent level of cultural self destruction.

In the North American context "white people" just meant the in-group who enjoyed %100 of the benefits of citizenship. French or English or German stayed French, English and German for the traditions and festivals, but when it came time to redline the neighbourhood everybody understood who was excluded. Why fret about the last war in the old country when we could be gentrifying today?

Over time it expanded to include more and more groups (Italians, Jews), to the point that by the time my family arrived we got to be part of the in-group despite my great-great-great etc grandparents always trying to besiege Vienna. I can even buy guns if i want. What a country.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:It's working!!!!!

"Kathleen Cairns, a WBFF Baltimore journalist, tweeted a picture of a woman who was surrendering a 9mm. She hoped to use the money from the program to buy an even bigger gun."

I like the part about the city paying $25 for magazines that can be bought new for $12. Too bad I'm several hours away from Baltimore I got some old non-functioning magazines lying around.

I wonder. If I took a block of wood and put a label on it that said "Assault Magazine", how much they would pay?
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Doc wrote:

I wonder. If I took a block of wood and put a label on it that said "Assault Magazine", how much they would pay?
What if you labelled it an assault truncheon?

or

whittle it down a bit and name it an automatic shillelagh! :mrgreen:
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

IIRC the rules of these buyback programs is no proof of ownership is required, cause some of the weapons will be illegal, and that the weapons will be destroyed with no investigation or examination. So if you use your gun to murder someone, the most certain way to ensure that the murder weapon will never be found and used as evidence against you, is to turn it in to the police during a gun buyback program.

My friend's father owned a convenience store near a federal housing project. He said the effect on the area was amazing in terms of gathering the criminal element in one location. He said more than once someone would come into the store with a brand new $600 pistol and offer to trade it for a couple six packs of beer or some wine.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Doc wrote:

What if you labelled it an assault truncheon?

or

whittle it down a bit and name it an automatic shillelagh! :mrgreen:
Or better yet. For $25 I would turn this magazine in:

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
Or better yet. For $25 I would turn this magazine in:

:lol: Whoa!

When will we get beyond trigger warnings and start regulating "assault propaganda?"
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-use-su ... 1546857000

"

Armed robbery and similar crimes often entail illicit guns, while legally registered firearms tend to appear in suicide and domestic-violence statistics, said Nils Duquet of the Flemish Peace Institute, a Belgian research center.

It’s clear that illegal guns are used mostly by criminals,” he said.

"

Obviously, eliminating gun control laws will eliminate illegal guns which will result in no more criminals.

Guys, you could not come up with that your own? I'm getting tired of trying to help you people.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-use-su ... 1546857000

"

Armed robbery and similar crimes often entail illicit guns, while legally registered firearms tend to appear in suicide and domestic-violence statistics, said Nils Duquet of the Flemish Peace Institute, a Belgian research center.

It’s clear that illegal guns are used mostly by criminals,” he said.

"

Obviously, eliminating gun control laws will eliminate illegal guns which will result in no more criminals.

Guys, you could not come up with that your own? I'm getting tired of trying to help you people.
Or maybe people that don't like guns could go to the island of no guns so they can have criminals with knives and clubs to deal with, and there aren't any fat people with spoons.
DwU4vVqV4AExyIi.jpg
DwU4vVqV4AExyIi.jpg (252.98 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila