Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Climate Change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Post by Typhoon »

The Grauniad takes it up another level on the crazy scale.

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:The Grauniad takes it up another level on the crazy scale.

now it not the time to abandon science. if we can combine the climate change belief gene, with the lemming gene, the problem, er uh, I mean both problems will be solved quite quickly. therefore in theory, biologists could save us.

or we go in a slightly religious route. exhaling CO2 is original sin, suicide is redemption (replenishing the Earth's resources & leaving your assets to the Church of Climate Salvation) and the only way to get into "woke heaven." time for theologist to shift gears, plus it will be more lucrative.

none is correct, narratives need to be updated occasionally.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, the Aussies certainly responded to the "climate emergency", which, according to the Aussie chattering classes, was the main issue of the recent federal election.

Joanne Nova | It was a climate election and the skeptics won.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:Well, the Aussies certainly responded to the "climate emergency", which, according to the Aussie chattering classes, was the main issue of the recent federal election.

Joanne Nova | It was a climate election and the skeptics won.
Wow! Russians stole another election? Kudos to the Strayans!
noddy

Post by noddy »

on average, alot of australians do actually believe in climate change but they also believe taxes arent going to stop it.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:on average, alot of australians do actually believe in climate change but they also believe taxes arent going to stop it.
I think the Strine confidence in administrators (focused, primarily, no doubt on polls and winning elections) not being capable of solving scientific/technical problems is well placed, and probably has a great historical record.

Over here, climate change conversation is almost always a religious discussion. Any attempt at discussion of causes, accuracy, methodology, predictability, solvability, or correlating current data with past data collected via different technology, with a True Believing Alamist quickly gets one labeled as a heretic.

Experts (opportunist alarmists?) agree, Y2K is gonna be life changing!!!!

Science is not necessary, and often a hinderance to the SJW practicing of their post-modern religion.

As I get older, I find that irrationality is a pretty leading good indicator of whether or not to enter into conversation with other people.
noddy

Post by noddy »

well, as ive said before, their is very little point in trying to be accurate about any of this, thats not whats going on.

climate change is a catchall word now, it stands in for all the various ecological problems that a world full of humans has created - deforestation, overfishing and pollutions of all forms.

in a true with us or against us fashion, you either put yourself in the bucket of people who care (tm) or people who dont care, the details are for the scientists to squabble over.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:well, as ive said before, their is very little point in trying to be accurate about any of this, thats not whats going on.

climate change is a catchall word now, it stands in for all the various ecological problems that a world full of humans has created - deforestation, overfishing and pollutions of all forms.

in a true with us or against us fashion, you either put yourself in the bucket of people who care (tm) or people who dont care, the details are for the scientists to squabble over.
well said. same here. when life, facts, science, and details get complicated, nothing simplifies the whole shebang like "I'm a good person cause I care. You're a bad person cause you don't think I care more than you and I'm smarter than you."

Like Jordon Peterson said "You can't separate the politics from the science." I think those who said that "green was the new red" 15-25 years ago were prophets.

Recently read Michael Rectenwald's book Springtime for Snowflakes. Great guide to how the post modern religion created the Social Justice Warriors proselytizers. His recommendation is that colleges recognize post modernism/Social Justice as just another religious perspective, and treat it no differently than other religions.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Well done documentary.

oYhCQv5tNsQ
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

US DOE | GeoVision Report
There is enormous untapped potential for geothermal. It is a renewable and diverse energy solution for the United States—providing reliable and flexible electricity generation and delivering unique technology solutions for America's heating and cooling demands. Geothermal resources can be found nationwide, are "always on," and represent vast domestic energy potential. Only a fraction of this potential has been realized, however, because of technical and non-technical barriers that constrain industry growth. For example, through regulatory reforms alone, geothermal capacity could double. With technology improvements that focus on exploring, discovering, developing, and managing geothermal resources, geothermal electric power generation could increase nearly 26-fold from today.
One might wonder why Japan had not gone all in with geothermal power. One problem: earthquakes.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Next up: "Global Warming Causes Glaciation"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06- ... 2020-signs

Glacier National Park Quietly Removes Its "Gone By 2020" Signs
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

While Cyclone Vayu bears down on the coast, northern India is gripped by a stifling heatwave. Temperatures have soared for weeks.

The Delhi metro area and the 26+ million people who live there recently experienced their hottest June day on record
https://twitter.com/jscarto/status/1139143676221898753

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ammianus wrote:
While Cyclone Vayu bears down on the coast, northern India is gripped by a stifling heatwave. Temperatures have soared for weeks.

The Delhi metro area and the 26+ million people who live there recently experienced their hottest June day on record
Hot in June? Wow!

Now if they experience the Coldest day on record in July or August, that'll be REAL CLIMATE CHANGE! :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:

And so?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Dr. Judith Curry | Extremes
Politics versus science in attributing extreme weather events to manmade global warming.
Why extreme events matter in the climate debate

Why is attributing extreme events (or not) to AGW such a big deal? Well, the reason for this became apparent to me following Hurricane Katrina (2005), in the heyday of the hurricanes and global warming argument.

Lets face it, in 2005 the public found it very hard to care about 1 degree or even 4 degrees of warming — heck, the temperatures varied by that much on a day-to-day basis. If they wanted a slightly warmer or cooler climate, they could always move a few hundred miles to the north or south.

However, arguments that a relatively small amount of global warming (order 1 C) could result in more intense hurricanes, well that got their attention, particularly as the U.S. was reeling from Katrina catastrophe.

The AGW activists now had new weapon in their arsenal — attributing extreme weather events to manmade climate change. The ‘will to act’ seemed tied to alarmism about extreme weather events. Which provides a key political role for unsupported ‘storylines’ about extreme weather events.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote:Dr. Judith Curry | Extremes
Politics versus science in attributing extreme weather events to manmade global warming.

Why is attributing extreme events (or not) to AGW such a big deal? Well, the reason for this became apparent to me following Hurricane Katrina (2005), in the heyday of the hurricanes and global warming argument.

Lets face it, in 2005 the public found it very hard to care about 1 degree or even 4 degrees of warming — heck, the temperatures varied by that much on a day-to-day basis. If they wanted a slightly warmer or cooler climate, they could always move a few hundred miles to the north or south.

However, arguments that a relatively small amount of global warming (order 1 C) could result in more intense hurricanes, well that got their attention, particularly as the U.S. was reeling from Katrina catastrophe.

The AGW activists now had new weapon in their arsenal — attributing extreme weather events to manmade climate change. The ‘will to act’ seemed tied to alarmism about extreme weather events. Which provides a key political role for unsupported ‘storylines’ about extreme weather events.
The Man made part of Katrina was Lousianna's lack of man made preparations to deal with a major hurricane and federal reconstruction money that mostly went to real estate developers.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote:

The Man made part of Katrina was Lousianna's lack of man made preparations to deal with a major hurricane and federal reconstruction money that mostly went to real estate developers.
The man-made part of Katrina was the levee was built by corrupt builders with cheap materials not up to specs. It withstood the hurricane, but the tidal surge ate a hole in the levee.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Well done documentary.

oYhCQv5tNsQ
Indeed.

Thanks for the post.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Well done documentary.

oYhCQv5tNsQ
Excellent! Thanks for posting. Money influences climate science more than either climate or science. Seems logical.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The problem with photos, particularly glaciers, polar bears, etc., as evidence of climate change is that the devil is in the details.

In the case of Sydney Harbour, season, time of day (tides), wind velocity all matter.

Better to look at the historical local sea level - tidal - gauge.

A sea level rise of a whopping 0.65mm +/- 0.01mm per year. About 2/3 of a cm or, for the 'Merkins, 0.26 inches per year.
Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Ammianus wrote:

And so?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I remember this exact same response literally 10 years ago after I posted several articles detailing near to medium term predictions on how many tropical nations/3rd world shitholes near the equator will increasingly be at the mercy of fiery summers featuring record breaking heat. I also remember you doing some posts back then claiming those record breaking heat won't happen at all, and in fact there might be possibility of cooling in those places. We now have 10 years to evaluate those predictions and they turn out to be.....true?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ammianus wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember this exact same response literally 10 years ago after I posted several articles detailing near to medium term predictions on how many tropical nations/3rd world shitholes near the equator will increasingly be at the mercy of fiery summers featuring record breaking heat. I also remember you doing some posts back then claiming those record breaking heat won't happen at all, and in fact there might be possibility of cooling in those places. We now have 10 years to evaluate those predictions and they turn out to be.....true?
:roll:

I remember the late 1970's and The Coming Ice Age hysteria!!! I remember the Y2K hysteria!!! I remember Rachael Carson and the Silent Spring hysteria!!! I remember Paul Erlich and the Population Time Bomb hysteria!!!

C'mon back in 20 or 40 years, and let us know if you're still right. ;)

As the old saying goes: "The experts are right about the trends, but they're wrong at both ends!" But you can earn a hell of a living by selecting two popular data points and projecting any trend into the future.

Ammianus, Read the book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay.

https://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Po ... 1463740514

It documents this phenomena back at least as far the Tulip Bulb Mania IIRC. Human herding and crowd think is nothing new.

Also watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCQv5tNsQ
noddy

Post by noddy »

according to some versions of the truth , northern india always goes ballistic during El Nino and the record highs are quite normal for this occurance, with 1995 and 1998 being the hottest on record, which doesnt tie in with the 10 year claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Delhi
eg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Indian_heat_wave

the worst bit is we only have records for the last 100 years and most of those are done eyeballing a mercury thermometer, so lets not get too excited about 0.5c here and there.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:
Colonel Sun wrote:
Ammianus wrote:

And so?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I remember this exact same response literally 10 years ago after I posted several articles detailing near to medium term predictions on how many tropical nations/3rd world shitholes near the equator will increasingly be at the mercy of fiery summers featuring record breaking heat. I also remember you doing some posts back then claiming those record breaking heat won't happen at all, and in fact there might be possibility of cooling in those places. We now have 10 years to evaluate those predictions and they turn out to be.....true?
Lots of claims on your part.

Provide the posts that support them or your claims are nonsense.

As noddy observed,
noddy wrote:according to some versions of the truth , northern india always goes ballistic during El Nino and the record highs are quite normal for this occurance, with 1995 and 1998 being the hottest on record, which doesnt tie in with the 10 year claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Delhi
eg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Indian_heat_wave

the worst bit is we only have records for the last 100 years and most of those are done eyeballing a mercury thermometer, so lets not get too excited about 0.5c here and there.
Also, due to rapid industrialization and urbanization, along with some of the worst air pollution on the planet, Delhi has a significant urban heat island effect.
The average images reveal spatial and temporal variations of land surface temperature (LST) of night-time and distinct microclimatic patterns. Central Business District (CBD) of Delhi, (Connaught Place, a high density built up area), and commercial/industrial areas display heat islands condition with a temperature greater than 4°C compared to the suburbs.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

This confounds any claims of the higher temperatures being due to global warming.

There's a bit more to the metrology of temperature than eyeballing a thermometer.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Doc wrote:

The man-made part of Katrina was the levee was built by corrupt builders with cheap materials not up to specs. It withstood the hurricane, but the tidal surge ate a hole in the levee.
Basically the same difference. The levy inspectors used to do a one day inspection of the entire levy system Basically they would drive around the levy without ever getting out of their cars, stop and get lunch. Drive some more then all go out to a bar and have drinks.

The levies themselves were built up over 150 years piecemeal. The main one that actually collapsed was a 4' cement wall built on top of a 100 year old earthen levy. The wall got topped and then eroded the earthen part causing a complete failure.